hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Why betting threads on main forum?

I guess I'm aiming this at the admins. Should gambling threads not be consigned to another forum and removed from the main forum? The main forum is supposed to be about everything Hibernian, or the occasional snipe at our Gorgie neighbours. Would I be inaccurate in suspecting that a few sneeky bookies are using Hibs.net to entice my fellow Hibbys to gamble, certainly put temptation in the way of those that are perhaps addicted and/or trying to stop?Hmmmmm.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by noseyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I'm aiming this at the admins. Should gambling threads not be consigned to another forum and removed from the main forum? The main forum is supposed to be about everything Hibernian, or the occasional snipe at our Gorgie neighbours. Would I be inaccurate in suspecting that a few sneeky bookies are using Hibs.net to entice my fellow Hibbys to gamble, certainly put temptation in the way of those that are perhaps addicted and/or trying to stop?Hmmmmm.
    Get a grip... I enjoy what teams people are betting on.. It means i can get a few tips... it wouldn't get the same focus if it was on the other boards..

Hibs.net for all hibs fans not recovering gamblers

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    If you can't bring yourself to not gamble because you've seen a thread on Hibs.net, then you really do have a complete lack of willpower.
    The threads are football related, they belong on this forum.

EDIT: While we're at it. Can we have any threads related to where people are drinking before/after the game deleted as they're driving me to drink.

Blog Entries
    And while we're at it, what about these stories about footballers' lovelives, they're.......................

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee View Post
    If you can't bring yourself to not gamble because you've seen a thread on Hibs.net, then you really do have a complete lack of willpower.

EDIT: While we're at it. Can we have any threads related to where people are drinking before/after the game deleted as they're driving me to drink.
    Sorry - I'm off to the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerobbo View Post
    Get a grip... I enjoy what teams people are betting on.. It means i can get a few tips... it wouldn't get the same focus if it was on the other boards..

Hibs.net for all hibs fans not recovering gamblers
    For those, like yourself, keen perhaps to gamble and find out the latest odds, are you telling me that you would not bother looking for the latest gambling thread just because it's on on another Hibs.Net forum? Interesting that you say that consigning such threads to another board would not get the same focus. This raises my suspicions even further that bookies are indeed infiltrating our beloved Main Forum to entice a wider audience. Are you by any chance a bookie, a little upset that I might have touched upon a raw nerve? If not, then I'm sure you will appreciate that some of us choose not to gamble and have odds littering the Main Forum. Why don't we invite a few landlords onboard quoting us the latest beer prices. It's blatant advertising and exploitation of a captured audience.

I think we have enough forums as it is ......im sure this has been discussed before but i would suspect a seperate betting forum wouldnt draw in the same amount of punters & we would still end up with countless betting threads on the main forum therefore leaving it as it is would be less of a problem...

I agree with the OP...the constant betting threads yank my chain.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I think we have enough forums as it is ......im sure this has been discussed before but i would suspect a seperate betting forum wouldnt draw in the same amount of punters & we would still end up with countless betting threads on the main forum therefore leaving it as it is would be less of a problem...
    Would you like to bet on this?

Would you like to bet on this?
    Sorry ..i dont gamble ..

All due respect, I am no gambler and certainly not addicted, But there are people I know that are indeed gamblers and/or recovering gamblers. I suggest re-reading my post. I advocate that betting threads should perhaps be consigned to another Hibs.Net board. Not REMOVED altogether as you imply with your drinking analogy.

Gamer IDs

It just doesn't make any sense tbh.
    If we have a gambling forum, I'm sure it's going to offer the same tempation/maybe more than a single weekly thread does. Likewise, if we posted them in another forum like "The Dugout" it's maybe going to tempt posters over there to gamble...

dont read it if your not happy

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Does it really matter that much if their in the wrong forum?

All due respect, I am no gambler and certainly not addicted, But there are people I know that are indeed gamblers and/or recovering gamblers. I suggest re-reading my post. I advocate that betting threads should perhaps be consigned to another Hibs.Net board. Not REMOVED altogether as you imply with your drinking analogy.
    It must be terrible for all these GA/AA members or whatever, getting assaulted from all sides with mentions of drink and punting. Must be even worse walking down Easter Road to a game and resisting that magnet drawing them into the bookies and boozer. I suppose they can always ignore a thread titled Bets or ask to be excluded from online bookies. Why not just do it the Chinese government way and ban any sites that don't meet with your approval?

I think you mean irresponsible gamblers in your OP.

@hibs.net private member brythehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMcGinn1 View Post
    dont read it if your not happy
    Correct. Why do folk moan about something that THEY choose to read?

If you dont like threads about gambling dont read it. As someone else said i enjoy seeing what others have gone for etc and sharing what bets folk have.

First Team Regular Bohemian_Hibee's Avatar
    Addicted? No way, I bet you I could stop gambling!!!

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    if it doesnt interest you dont read it.

there are threads i dont read as they dont interest me or appeal to me.

Just ignore it, there are hundreds and thousands of threads for you to read
    Hibernian Football Club

It just doesn't make any sense tbh.
    If we have a gambling forum, I'm sure it's going to offer the same tempation/maybe more than a single weekly thread does. Likewise, if we posted them in another forum like "The Dugout" it's maybe going to tempt posters over there to gamble...
    It's not so much the temptation aspect that I'm worried too much about, no disrespect to those addicted. I find betting threads annoying in that they are taking up space on our Main forum when they have little, if anything, directly to do with our beloved Hibernian FC. Gambling is a habit, as is drinking, and indeed smoking, but we don't have threads littering our Main Forum from pub landlords and tobacconists telling us the latest prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    It must be terrible for all these GA/AA members or whatever, getting assaulted from all sides with mentions of drink and punting. Must be even worse walking down Easter Road to a game and resisting that magnet drawing them into the bookies and boozer. I suppose they can always ignore a thread titled Bets or ask to be excluded from online bookies. Why not just do it the Chinese government way and ban any sites that don't meet with your approval?

I think you mean irresponsible gamblers in your OP.
    I repeat to you as I did to another poster: Please reread my opening thread. I do not advocate BANNING. This is your interpretation and wording. I simply suggest perhaps consigning gambling threads to another Hibs.Net forum. I don't go into gambling threads, but find them annoyingly taking up valuable space on the Main Forum when they have little if anything directly Hibs-related content in them.

Gamer IDs

So, essentially you want them removed because you don't like them?
    All the betting threads are duly titled so I really don't see why it's a problem for you to just skip over them. There is maybe 1 or 2 threads MAX on each page so I think the argument that they're cluttering the forum in anyway is bollocks simply.
    Personally, I'd much rather read the gambling threads than have the apparent 'occasional'(seems to be a lot more frequent than that)jambo GIRUY threads.
    Alot of us evidently enjoy reading the betting threads..
    Last edited by SRHibs; 03-02-2010 at 05:01 PM.

It's not so much the temptation aspect that I'm worried too much about, no disrespect to those addicted. I find betting threads annoying in that they are taking up space on our Main forum when they have little, if anything, directly to do with our beloved Hibernian FC. Gambling is a habit, as is drinking, and indeed smoking, but we don't have threads littering our Main Forum from pub landlords and tobacconists telling us the latest prices.
    I think you are taking things a little out of context now ..its a football forum ..folk bet on football matches ..that in turn generates discussion ..that is what this forum is for ..

I repeat to you as I did to another poster: Please reread my opening thread. I do not advocate BANNING. This is your interpretation and wording. I simply suggest perhaps consigning gambling threads to another Hibs.Net forum. I don't go into gambling threads, but find them annoyingly taking up valuable space on the Main Forum when they have little if anything directly Hibs-related content in them.
    I thought the main forum was for all things football which I suppose includes betting on football, what does hearts getting beat last night directly have to do with us or John Terry's love life?

Quote Originally Posted by brythehibby View Post
    Correct. Why do folk moan about something that THEY choose to read?

If you dont like threads about gambling dont read it. As someone else said i enjoy seeing what others have gone for etc and sharing what bets folk have.
    I do not read gambling/betting threads. Or should I say, I have gone into them in the past and seen absolutely nothing relating to Hibernian FC in them. The MAIN FORUM is so I'm led to believe supposed to be directly Hibs related, or at least in context, with the occasional Jambos snipe thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I think you are taking things a little out of context now ..its a football forum ..folk bet on football matches ..that in turn generates discussion ..that is what this forum is for ..
    I agree on your point about generating discussion. I appear to have done this quite successfully by starting this thread. I think I'll sneak away for a cuppa before William Hill comes on next to berate me.

So, essentially you want them removed because you don't like them?
    All the betting threads are duly titled so I really don't see why it's a problem for you to just skip over them. There is maybe 1 or 2 threads MAX on each page so I think the argument that they're cluttering the forum in anyway is bollocks simply.
    Personally, I'd much rather read the gambling threads than have the apparent 'occasional'(seems to be a lot more frequent than that)jambo GIRUY threads.
    Alot of us evidently enjoy reading the betting threads..
    Each to their own.
    I do indeed skip the betting threads but still find them annoyingly there! Ho hum, I'm off to make a cuppa.

Dry your eyes. Betting threads have been on the main forum for years.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    The main forum is about football and the betting threads are also about football

They are generally called 'Tonight's bets', 'Weekend Bets' or 'Midweek Bets' so they are easy to avoid.

I don't think we need another forum for 2/3 threads a week.

I very rarely post on Hibs.Net now - but always viewing but have to post on this one

This just sums up for me how PC certain people have become in this crazy world.

OP, is it not simple enough for you to just avoid opening the thread if you wish not to view it!

And I was laughing my head of at the thought that you think a bookmaker would come on here in the hope that a bookies thread will entice 10'000 hibs fans to charge down to there local bookies and bet all there wages on Albion Rovers to win the champions league in the next so many years at 100000000000-1 just because wee Jimmy or big John from Hibs.Net says it a banker

As a previous poster says - It is a topical thread and always has been And when you are long gone tucked up in your cosy bed with your hot chocolate and water bottle us bevvy drinking drug taking gamblers are still giving it the large posting- if only i had backed that team and this team on these very threads.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMcGinn1 View Post
    Dry your eyes. Betting threads have been on the main forum for years.
    In principle, the argument that "It's always been that way so why change?" is for the dinosaurs.

People should feel free to make suggestions for change without being pilloried.