hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 225
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,569
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cause we're usually a week or 2 infront of them training wise.
    That wasn't the case this season.

    Huns beat Man City, Hearts drew with Sunderland, Hibs drew with Blackburn and Bolton, St. Johnstone beat Burnley.

  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Supporter from afar Milkinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,912
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Milky 2K7
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're still competitive games for teams at the same stage of their preparation for the season ahead.

    If we had the money to spend that the EPL clubs do, then yes we'd have a chance of seventh over time.
    : Changing your story now. We work in the present.

    Based on the assumption that there isn't that much of a gulf we could beat Brum, Everton, Blackburn, Fulham, Stoke etc etc over the rigours of a season.

    I'm sorry, but Hangeland is 5 times the player Chris Hogg is, as is Shawcross etc and they are in the bottom half of the EPL.

    Robbie Keane will score goals.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member zlatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,827
    Bad for us but it'll be good to see players like Keane playing at Easter Road.

    I know he's an awful human being but Bellamys performance against us was a joy to watch when he destroyed us all on his own.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    605
    Let's look on the bright side here with the Keane (possible) move...he'll use up a large wedge of the wages, will therefore probably be undroppable and might bomb in the same way that other, fairly successful, EPL players did - see Juaninho, Keane and that scandanavian bloke Rangers signed from Chelsea (what was his name?).
    Well thats what I'm hoping for anyway...

  6. #35
    Supporter from afar Milkinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,912
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Milky 2K7
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That wasn't the case this season.

    Huns beat Man City, Hearts drew with Sunderland, Hibs drew with Blackburn and Bolton, St. Johnstone beat Burnley.
    Hearts can't beat half the SPL, they would never beat Sunderland over a season. Hibs likewise with Blackburn and Bolton and St. Johnstone certainly could not beat Fletcher and co. You would think that by that St. Js could put up a decent fight against Chelsea...

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets be honest, there isn't much chance of us getting 2nd regardless of them signing Keane or not.

    They have signed a lot of new players to help them push for the title, and still have players like Maloney and Brown to come back from injury.

    The depth of Celtics squad is far greater than ours, and will see them get at least 2nd place.
    We have done extremely well to get to February and still be on the coat-tails of Celtic. Their resources, their squad and their financial clout is in a different league to Hibs' and I believe that they will end up being at least 15 points ahead of us by the end of the season.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hearts can't beat half the SPL, they would never beat Sunderland over a season. Hibs likewise with Blackburn and Bolton and St. Johnstone certainly could not beat Fletcher and co. You would think that by that St. Js could put up a decent fight against Chelsea...
    Who is saying anything about finishing above teams over the course of a season?

    I'm just pointing out that Robbie Keane has struggled to get a regular game over the last two seasons, since his ludicrous transfer to Liverpool. There must be some reason for this. Just because he is now (apparently) moving to Celtic doesn't mean that he is going to piss all over the SPL. There's plenty of examples of big name players coming up from down south who have not done well, mainly because they have been near finished in England and are just looking for a healthy payday and easy life up here. I think there is a reasonable chance that Keane will fit that model. The point of the preseason results is that you can't just show up and say "we're a PL team, we're entitled to win the game and score loads of goals". Football is more complex than that.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 01-02-2010 at 05:34 PM.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member zlatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is saying anything about finishing above teams over the course of a season?

    We're just pointing out that Robbie Keane has struggled to get a regular game over the last two seasons, since his ludicrous transfer to Liverpool. There must be some reason for this. Just because he is now (apparently) moving to Celtic doesn't mean that he is going to piss all over the SPL. There's plenty of examples of big name players coming up from down south who have not done well, mainly because they have been near finished in England and are just looking for a healthy payday and easy life up here.
    Anthony Stokes was in a similar position and he's not doing to bad now.

    If Keane hits the ground running he'll be having a laugh up here.

  10. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    : Changing your story now. We work in the present.

    Based on the assumption that there isn't that much of a gulf we could beat Brum, Everton, Blackburn, Fulham, Stoke etc etc over the rigours of a season.

    I'm sorry, but Hangeland is 5 times the player Chris Hogg is, as is Shawcross etc and they are in the bottom half of the EPL.

    Robbie Keane will score goals.
    I do think that our first XI would give their first XI a game, yes. As it stands, we don't have the depth of squad that they have, and that's what we would need to compete with them over a season.

    Hangeland may be 5 times the player Hogg is, but his wages will be knocking on 10 or 15 times Hogg's. EPL players are well overpaid, and gap in ability isn't that big IMO.

    But yes, I agree Keane will score goals up here - you don't score the number he has at club and international level without being a class act. It remains to be seen how much of his wages Celtic will end up paying, and that could well end up biting them on the erse because it's going to be a sizable chunk of the 80k he's reportedly on.
    Last edited by Barney McGrew; 01-02-2010 at 05:41 PM.

  11. #40
    Supporter from afar Milkinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,912
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Milky 2K7
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is saying anything about finishing above teams over the course of a season?

    I'm just pointing out that Robbie Keane has struggled to get a regular game over the last two seasons, since his ludicrous transfer to Liverpool. There must be some reason for this. Just because he is now (apparently) moving to Celtic doesn't mean that he is going to piss all over the SPL. There's plenty of examples of big name players coming up from down south who have not done well, mainly because they have been near finished in England and are just looking for a healthy payday and easy life up here. I think there is a reasonable chance that Keane will fit that model. The point of the preseason results is that you can't just show up and say "we're a PL team, we're entitled to win the game and score loads of goals". Football is more complex than that.
    I still think Keane will, in fact, piss all over the SPL. I'd love to be proved wrong but Bellamy did that when he came up.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due Hainan Hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Breda
    Posts
    4,772
    Jesus christ, this thread is enough to tan your wrists with.

    Sometimes wonder why people actually bother their arse to follow Hibs if the football here is that bad.

    Crab Ferguson is somehow managing to pull off good performances in the heavenly Premiership, and oh dear god another player from the hell that is the SPL, Steven Fletcher, has managed to bang in more than a few goals in the EPL.

    It always gets to me why Scottish Hibs fans somehow take pure delight in putting the SPL and Scottish football down on .net. If it's that bad then **** off and support your glorious EPL teams full time.

    Rant over

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,569
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anthony Stokes was in a similar position and he's not doing to bad now.

    If Keane hits the ground running he'll be having a laugh up here.
    Slight difference between a 21 year old keen to get his career back on track and a 29 year old (30 in July) who has done it all and made a mint already.

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus christ, this thread is enough to tan your wrists with.

    Sometimes wonder why people actually bother their arse to follow Hibs if the football here is that bad.

    Crab Ferguson is somehow managing to pull off good performances in the heavenly Premiership, and oh dear god another player from the hell that is the SPL, Steven Fletcher, has managed to bang in more than a few goals in the EPL.

    It always gets to me why Scottish Hibs fans somehow take pure delight in putting the SPL and Scottish football down on .net. If it's that bad then **** off and support your glorious EPL teams full time.

    Rant over

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member malcolm-bogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Sticks
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have done extremely well to get to February and still be on the coat-tails of Celtic. Their resources, their squad and their financial clout is in a different league to Hibs' and I believe that they will end up being at least 15 points ahead of us by the end of the season.
    That is why it it almost impossible for any side outside the OF to finish in the top two. If they need to bring players in to ensure that, they do. Its not a level playing field.

  16. #45
    Coaching Staff BEEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,247
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bad for us but it'll be good to see players like Keane playing at Easter Road.

    I know he's an awful human being but Bellamys performance against us was a joy to watch when he destroyed us all on his own.


    I think I know what you mean ...... but 'joy'? Grudging admiration, perhaps.

  17. #46
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    429
    Well said Hainan

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think Keane will, in fact, piss all over the SPL. I'd love to be proved wrong but Bellamy did that when he came up.
    Bellamy was 25 y/o (ie in his prime) when he played for Celtic, and was keen to rehabilitate his career having fallen out with Souness at Newcastle.

  19. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bellamy was 25 y/o (ie in his prime) when he played for Celtic, and was keen to rehabilitate his career having fallen out with Souness at Newcastle.
    And still had a lower goals/game ratio than Stokes has had for us.

  20. #49
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    27,418
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I think I know what you mean ...... but 'joy'? Grudging admiration, perhaps.
    I cannae stand Bellamy, but he was unbelievably good against us at ER (think that was the same game as Konte's wonder-dive, and Boozy's headed goal).

    Can't think of a time when one player has so obviously been the deciding factor in a game against us, other than if you include Zibby or Simon Brown.
    WE ARE HIBERNIAN F.C. ...

  21. #50
    Celtic potentially have 20 games left this season (22 depending on possible replays in the Scottish Cup). If that turns out to be the case and Keane does end up signing for them, I think he will score at least 12 goals.

    Anyone going to predict anything different?

  22. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think Keane will, in fact, piss all over the SPL. I'd love to be proved wrong but Bellamy did that when he came up.
    As did Roy Keane.......................................

    Retired after Jay Shields "ran him ragged".

  23. #52
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    24,995
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cannae stand Bellamy, but he was unbelievably good against us at ER (think that was the same game as Konte's wonder-dive, and Boozy's headed goal).

    Can't think of a time when one player has so obviously been the deciding factor in a game against us, other than if you include Zibby or Simon Brown.
    Gasgoine in the 3 - 4 defeat under Duffy.

    Awesome.
    Well, another day has passed. I didn't use algebra once...


  24. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus christ, this thread is enough to tan your wrists with.

    Sometimes wonder why people actually bother their arse to follow Hibs if the football here is that bad.

    Crab Ferguson is somehow managing to pull off good performances in the heavenly Premiership, and oh dear god another player from the hell that is the SPL, Steven Fletcher, has managed to bang in more than a few goals in the EPL.

    It always gets to me why Scottish Hibs fans somehow take pure delight in putting the SPL and Scottish football down on .net. If it's that bad then **** off and support your glorious EPL teams full time.

    Rant over
    I have never understood the need to "have an English team". What is wrong with just supporting Hibs?

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,569
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic potentially have 20 games left this season (22 depending on possible replays in the Scottish Cup). If that turns out to be the case and Keane does end up signing for them, I think he will score at least 12 goals.

    Anyone going to predict anything different?
    He's a second striker, so yeah, I think he will score less than that. **Unless** Celtic start getting loads of penalties and he takes them all.

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member Calvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,525
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have never understood the need to "have an English team". What is wrong with just supporting Hibs?
    Same here. But at the same time, I am realistic about the quality of the league I'm watching.

  27. #56
    @hibs.net private member zlatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slight difference between a 21 year old keen to get his career back on track and a 29 year old (30 in July) who has done it all and made a mint already.
    The 2 stories aren't that dissimilar imo. Player earns big money move (albeit the fees were a tad different) but they both flop at said new club and are moved on, in Stokes case with several loan moves. Both players still seemed to struggle as expectation and previous large price tags hang over their head leading to loss of form and confidence.

    Stokes comes back up to Scotland and quickly finds his feet and scoring touch with a new lease of life and I'd expect Keane will do the same. He doesn't strike me as a primadonna only interested in money and a glamorous lifestyle and I think he'll come up here with a point to prove to himself and Harry Redknapp especially.

    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I think I know what you mean ...... but 'joy'? Grudging admiration, perhaps.
    ok worded a bit wrong but I loves my football and enjoy watching great players in the flesh and Bellamys performance that day was excellent, just a pity it came at our expense.

  28. #57
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvino View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same here. But at the same time, I am realistic about the quality of the league I'm watching.
    It's like marrying someone and spending your life saying how wonderful everyone elses wife is and how **** yours is

  29. #58
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    16,918
    Quote Originally Posted by SaudiHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's like marrying someone and spending your life saying how wonderful everyone elses wife is and how **** yours is
    Whats your point?
    Signed J Terry
    Last edited by greenlex; 01-02-2010 at 05:48 PM.

  30. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gasgoine in the 3 - 4 defeat under Duffy.

    Awesome.
    But Jimmy Boco should have made it 4 - 1 before Gazza turned it on unfortunately.

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,762
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic potentially have 20 games left this season (22 depending on possible replays in the Scottish Cup). If that turns out to be the case and Keane does end up signing for them, I think he will score at least 12 goals.

    Anyone going to predict anything different?
    I'll second that....12 goals I reckon.

    Dunno if it's been mentioned already but Shelton Martis has signed for Doncaster. Mowbray obviously didnt fancy him for a 3rd time!

Similar Threads

  1. robbie keane
    By brydekirk in forum hibs.net Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved