hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I confidently expect Jack 'RhentaBhoy' Regan to be on here momentarily to deny this, but it is a matter of history that Stein sold Simpson to Celtic for a fee of about £5,000 - derisory even in the 1960's. Simpson was officially going to Celtic to 'help out' with the younger players in their reserves. (At least that's what Stein said at the time.)

I'm not sure just how long after Simpson's departure it was that Stein moved on, but he was no sooner at Parkhead than he had this blinding revelation that Simpson was actually a MUCH better keeper at Parkhead than he had been at Easter Road, and started playing him in the Celtic first team. (Sort of Gordon Strachan/Deek in reverse, if you see what I mean....)
    Walter Galbraith resigned on 11th Mar 1964 and Jock Stein officially took over as Manager on 1st April 1964.

Ronnie Simpson's last game was on 28th March 1964 in a 3-1 loss away to Aberdeen (Ernie Winchester scored 1 of the don's goals - reason enough to drop the goalie ). Willie Wilson took over as first team goalie and either Jack Reilly or Sandy Keay played in goals for the reserves. So Stein never picked Ronnie Simpson to play any games whilst he was Manager.

According to the League records, Ronnie Simpson signed for Celtc on 3rd September 1964.

Jock resigned on 9th March 1965 with Hibs well placed for a League and Scottish Cup double

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    Walter Galbraith resigned on 11th Mar 1964 and Jock Stein officially took over as Manager on 1st April 1964.

Ronnie Simpson's last game was on 28th March 1964 in a 3-1 loss away to Aberdeen (Ernie Winchester scored 1 of the don's goals - reason enough to drop the goalie ). Willie Wilson took over as first team goalie and either Jack Reilly or Sandy Keay played in goals for the reserves. So Stein never picked Ronnie Simpson to play any games whilst he was Manager.

According to the League records, Ronnie Simpson signed for Celtc on 3rd September 1964.

Jock resigned on 9th March 1965 with Hibs well placed for a League and Scottish Cup double

Brian, I've been around a wee bit longer than you but would you agree with me, (although a lot may be down to my youthful optimisim at the time )that Hibs under Stein were an absolute stick-on for the double at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by cockneymike View Post
    Paul Wright, scored bucketloads against us for St J, and Killie - particularly one game in the cup where he scored a hat trick at ER I seem to remember.

Also Andy Dow - another cup semi revenge.
    Paul Wright was sold rather than released if I recall. The cash went towards signing Keith of that ilk. I think that Hibs got the best out of that deal.

Did not Hibs release Craig Dargo as a youngster?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Paul Wright was sold rather than released if I recall. The cash went towards signing Keith of that ilk. I think that Hibs got the best out of that deal.

Did not Hibs release Craig Dargo as a youngster?
    I seem to remember a story about alex miller releasing him to make space for his laddie?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalHibs View Post
    Brian, I've been around a wee bit longer than you but would you agree with me, (although a lot may be down to my youthful optimisim at the time )that Hibs under Stein were an absolute stick-on for the double at that time?
    absolute stick-on may be youthful optimism (it is Hibs after all ) but there is no doubt that it was very achievable

Wednesday 27th March we lost the cup semi 2-0 at the Pars then beat them in the League 1-0 at ER on the saturday

At the end of March, we were 2nd in the league, 3 points behind Hearts with a game in hand and with Hearts to play Killie (3rd) on the last day....however

1965.jpg

the last 4 league matches ended

Dundee 2 Hibs 1
    Hibs 0 Celtc 4
    Hibs 5 Airdrie 1
    Partick 4 Hibs 2

and we finished 4 points off Killie who won the League

absolute stick-on may be youthful optimism (it is Hibs after all ) but there is no doubt that it was very achievable

Wednesday 27th March we lost the cup semi 2-0 at the Pars then beat them in the League 1-0 at ER on the saturday

At the end of March, we were 2nd in the league, 3 points behind Hearts with a game in hand and with Hearts to play Killie (3rd) on the last day....however

1965.jpg

Dundee 2 Hibs 1
    Hibs 0 Celtc 4

Hibs 5 Airdrie 1
    Partick 4 Hibs 2

Yeah, it's Hibs - but I've never been more optimistic than at any time in supporting Hibs.

I was at the 0-4 celtc game and they were absolutely unstoppable that night and could have scored double figures. Shankley just couldn't motivate the same players as Stein had and I think the players lost heart in the manner that Stein left

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Saw the thread and was going for Robbo and Stachan. One player we did release that did not too bad afterwards, Danny Lennon - European glory with Raith Rovers. He did them a decent turn and in a good competative side.

Yeah, it's Hibs - but I've never been more optimistic than at any time in supporting Hibs.

I was at the 0-4 celtc game and they were absolutely unstoppable that night and could have scored double figures. Shankley just couldn't motivate the same players as Stein had and I think the players lost heart in the manner that Stein left
    only 2 weeks earlier, in what was I think was Stein's first home game in charge of Celtc, Hibs beat them 4-2

I was at the 4-0 match with my Grandfather and IIRC Hibs were doing ok - Neil Martin had a penalty saved - and trudging out the ground my Grandfather put the defeat down to Fallon having a brilliant game before Celtc took over - maybe auld age talking there

only 2 weeks earlier, in what was I think was Stein's first home game in charge of Celtc, Hibs beat them 4-2

I was at the 4-0 match with my Grandfather and IIRC Hibs were doing ok - Neil Martin had a penalty saved - and trudging out the ground my Grandfather put the defeat down to Fallon having a brilliant game before Celtc took over - maybe auld age talking there
    Was hoping you might have a news clipping of the game?

I seem to remember it was pissing down that night and can remember the likes of Murdoch, Lennox, Chalmers, Gemmel and Hughes ripping the Hib's defence a new one!

Of course, that celtc team was the nucleus of the Lisbon Lions which imo was undoubtedly one of the best teams in Scottish Football history.

ps sorry for thread hijack
    Last edited by CapitalHibs; 27-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Surely the Baker Boy has to be the biggest travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    Surely the Baker Boy has to be the biggest travesty.
    He was wanting an extra fiver a week in wages FFS

Was hoping you might have a news clipping of the game?
    Unfortunately I don't, however I have a copy of the report on the 4-2 win at parkhead

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

1965.jpg

Dundee 2 Hibs 1
    Hibs 0 Celtc 4
    Hibs 5 Airdrie 1
    Partick 4 Hibs 2

If Stein had stayed, we'd have won one of them at least, probably both.

Not my youthful enthusiasm speaking, but my pessimistic, chronically embittered father's opinion. He knew what he was talking about - he'd seen the Famous Five, Joe Baker and the rest. Rangers and Celtic were comparatively weak that season. We had a more than decent team, with a manager who (until the ****bag upped and left) could do no wrong.

IIRC: Wilson; Simpson and Davis; Stanton, McNamee and Baxter; Scott, Hamilton, Martin, Cormack and Stevenson.

There are no words bad enough to express my opinion of Jock Stein.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    If Stein had stayed, we'd have won one of them at least, probably both.

Not my youthful enthusiasm speaking, but my pessimistic, chronically embittered father's opinion. He knew what he was talking about - he'd seen the Famous Five, Joe Baker and the rest. Rangers and Celtic were comparatively weak that season. We had a more than decent team, with a manager who (until the ****bag upped and left) could do no wrong.

IIRC: Wilson; Simpson and Davis; Stanton, McNamee and Baxter; Scott, Hamilton, Martin, Cormack and Stevenson.

There are no words bad enough to express my opinion of Jock Stein.
    started the season with John Parke at LB before he was transferred to Sunderland - the front line was a variation of the players you mention plus Pat Quinn

Squad

Attachment 5393

Many supporters rate Stein as one of the best ever Hibs Managers - and there is no doubting his quality, however the way Celtc sacked Jimmy McGrory their then "legendary" Manager since 1945 (they were 9th in the League at that time) and Stein moved to the Tic so near the end of the season was obviously a contrived move and Stein lost my respect for that.

Apparently in latter years he lamented leaving Hibs and wondered what he could have achieved by staying to the end of the season

started the season with John Parke at LB before he was transferred to Sunderland - the front line was a variation of the players you mention plus Pat Quinn

Squad

Attachment 5393

Many supporters rate Stein as one of the best ever Hibs Managers - and there is no doubting his quality, however the way Celtc sacked Jimmy McGrory their then "legendary" Manager since 1945 (they were 9th in the League at that time) and Stein moved to the Tic so near the end of the season was obviously a contrived move and Stein lost my respect for that.

Apparently in latter years he lamented leaving Hibs and wondered what he could have achieved by staying to the end of the season

Just another example of the OF weakening the opposition

re-sized attachment

1965-65 team picture.jpg

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Squad

Attachment 5393

Hypocrite.

(Stein, not you, mate.)