hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corrie greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like the same class. I left in 1976 mate. Great school apart from the wee bottles of warm curdled milk, cold custard and constant thrashings with a belt. Not sure which one of the three I disliked the most.

So what was everyone? I was a Pict.
    Yer never 45 though

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! New Corrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Yer never 45 though

I went to the Primary school too for my last 2 years of primary , (81 - 82 or something) and HATED the ****in place! Probably had a lot to do with my then teacher Mrs Boobis. the only saving graces were Mrs Sturgeon who started my love of Scottish history after she used to take us for an hour a week. These were the days when Scottish history was not taught as part of the curiculum so I recon she did it in her own time god bless her!
    Remeber Jim McArthur too, he got me into the Hibs. Gave us free tickets to see Hibs v Dundee replay on a snowy Wedneday night.

MH

Weed Graham.... was my form master.
    He tried to teach us geography. Must be a candidate for the worst teacher of the universe. Wee mac was not much better but at least he was entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    For all that Badger's preferred sport was rugby, he spent every afternoon after school in the Summer term refereeing football matches between form groups - you usually got 3-4 matches per class each year. He also kept a selection of empty wine bottles in his cupboards and used to educate pupils on selcting wines.
    It was dead easy to get him to talk about wine, italy , the war etc and get him off the job in hand, trying to teach us latin.

@hibs.net private member London Hibs FC's Avatar
    When you think that Mr. McArthur held down two jobs and still took the bus into work, (my Mum had to drive him up to hospital when his wife had his first child as he didn’t have transport) it puts the salaries that Hibs players received at that time into a fair bit of perspective.
    Mr. Noterangelo and Mr. Rouse were the P7 Teachers when I left in 1983 who, like Mr. McArthur, were exceptional teachers and really lovely guys.
    Anybody on here from around that time?

London Hibs,

did you have the likes of Keith Kelly in your class?

MH

Quote Originally Posted by drtony View Post
    Wow! Lots of memories of the Primary School come back. The Hibs connection was that it was there that I became a Hibs fan - something which has stuck all my life thereafter.Maybe it was seeing the concrete terrace from the bus tops, and the crow it T.V. rig on top of it, or maybe it was Jim McArthur asking us to take penalties against him and treating us to a football game with a proper ball on the grass.
    I remember the rugby tops -black and black/white hoops, and the gym reference and basketball revived some long dead memories.
    The tennis ball games of football in the play ground with classmates - hmm - tghe best player in the class was Craig Daniel - a Hearts fan, but others included David Scott, Angelo Dicotano, and Craig Nelson. Most were Hibs fans, with occasional Hearts fans, Stephen Kay, who had a relative who played for Hearts, and Craig Marshall -the lone Rangers fan.
    I do not think any of the class went on to play for Hibs, but Mr MaArthur, the ground, and hearing stories from those who went to games, encouraged support for the team and area.
    As for punishments - I remember being belted once by Ms Sturgeon for calling a potato a spud. Mr Noterangelo gave the hardest belt but I never got on his wring side. He would make us laugh with jokes..like finish the sentence, "I think Hearts are....".
    Miss Christopher I remember...and could believe she had a three pronged belt. Was she not in a store room with Mr M. one day and got a reddie when discovered? I cannot recall.
    Thanks for the memories, and starting me on my road to Easter Road
    Aye i was in the other class from Daniel and Alfonso- i was in with marshall, wardy and that lot. we were comfortably second best in the playground takeons!

Reckon you must have been a year or two ahead of me. Who was school captain in your year?
    Gordon Cairns. {Shoulda been Alan Boyd, though}.
    I was there from Sep 69 till May 75 (6th year).

Our regi teacher was ?Jimmie? Dignan.
    Last edited by p=sh; 12-01-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    It was dead easy to get him to talk about wine, italy , the war etc and get him off the job in hand, trying to teach us latin.
    I mind that. a lot of my mates had Badger for Latin (in fact I think the was their regi teacher) and they often told of Badger's wanderings during Latin classes. We on the other hand had fred scott so it was strictly Latin from the moment the bell rang. Interrupted bythe occasional belting when one forgot the passive gerund third person plural of "appropinquare".

First Team Breakthrough Joy Zipper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drtony View Post
    A month or so back I read a couple of comments about Jim McArthur at Royal High School, and Maud the headmistress c.1978. I was young, but remember P.E. classes, and games of football with Jim McArthur, and endless games with tennis balls in the breaks we got akin to Ron Manager's takes on the game. In those days there were "football cards" which came with naff gum, but most pals collected Hibs players, and tried, usually vainly, to swap a Hearts, Motherwell player for one.
    I think I remember some other teachers -Mr Noterangelo, Ms Alexander, Ms Sturgeon, Ms Caldwell etc.etc....and waving to Des Bremner from the bus after another swimming lesson at the Commonwealth pool, and the shock, horror of Pat Stanton leaving Hibs for Celtic.
    Just memories, but thanks for rekindling them.
    I was there for Primary 7 (about 1982-1983) and Jim McArthur was my PE teacher. He used to give away tickets for the matches.

My teacher was called Miss Boobis (no joke !).

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Aye i was in the other class from Daniel and Alfonso- i was in with marshall, wardy and that lot. we were comfortably second best in the playground takeons!

Ha ha. Remember it well. Didn't lose very often. We had to do something to stay warm in our shorts. IIRC it was only p7s who could wear long trousers!

I think a dark blue badge was for Britons.I was a Pict.I remember Mrs Chrichton in early Primary classes.By P6 there was a young blonde teacher whose name escapes me now.I remember Stephen Ward and a lad who always jumped off the top diving board of the Commy Pool at the end of swimming lessons.Back to school in a bus and play epic games of football in the huge yard and pretending to be a Hibs player

Now wondering if I was in your year. Who was school captain in your year?

Quote Originally Posted by p=sh View Post
    Gordon Cairns. {Shoulda been Alan Boyd, though}.
    I was there from Sep 69 till May 75 (6th year).

Our regi teacher was ?Jimmie? Dignan.
    You were the year ahead of me, then. I was a prefect in 5th year, "under" Gordon.

This thread is bringing back many memories (some are even happy ones).
    Was at RHS at Barnton from 1969 -75(Northfield before that)
    I was in "Badger's" form class and well remember the slipper! (and a blackboard duster being thrown around)
    Also remember John Murray, the music teacher, a Liverpudlian who was more into rugby than football.
    Those were good times to be a Hibee - League Cup, Dryburgh Cups, European Nights, 5 goals down the slope, 7-0 1/1/73 - Happy Days

Joy zipper, you must have been in my class. Did you have Andy Mclean, stuart mcmahon and garry (pogo) paterson with you?

@hibs.net private member London Hibs FC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flemington hibb View Post
    London Hibs,

did you have the likes of Keith Kelly in your class?

MH
    Did indeed, lovely Guy!

Now wondering if I was in your year. Who was school captain in your year?

I am not sure Crops, it certainly wasn't me was school captain Our class had Iain Glass (whose Dad Jim, was a big Hibs 50 club man) in those days. He sometimes picked us up in his Jensen and took us round to ER.

I am not sure Crops, it certainly wasn't me was school captain Our class had Iain Glass (whose Dad Jim, was a big Hibs 50 club man) in those days. He sometimes picked us up in his Jensen and took us round to ER.
    Hope he was disclosured checked .

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_G View Post
    This thread is bringing back many memories (some are even happy ones).
    Was at RHS at Barnton from 1969 -75(Northfield before that)
    I was in "Badger's" form class and well remember the slipper! (and a blackboard duster being thrown around)
    Also remember John Murray, the music teacher, a Liverpudlian who was more into rugby than football.
    Those were good times to be a Hibee - League Cup, Dryburgh Cups, European Nights, 5 goals down the slope, 7-0 1/1/73 - Happy Days
    He was about six foot twelve and drove to school in a Fiat matchbox

It was either 1946 or 7 when four of us "kipped" school ( Regent Road) on a Wednesday afternoon to see Hibs V Airdrie at ER in a League Cup Tie .
    Next day we got "the belt" plus ONE THOUSAND lines - "I must not leave school without permission "
    Worth it though - Hibs won !!!!
    "Bimbo" the Janny had seen us heading down Regent Road and "shopped" us

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Hope he was disclosured checked .

Not in those days TH, spent all day getting caned and belted, then picked up by a man in a Jensen!...Aaaahhhh!....those were the days

Not in those days TH, spent all day getting caned and belted, then picked up by a man in a Jensen!...Aaaahhhh!....those were the days
    hmm.... caned and belted, not School Captain...I bet you were one of the smokers up the rocks an all??

hmm.... caned and belted, not School Captain...I bet you were one of the smokers up the rocks an all??
    You're not wrong Crops!

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I was one of 'em.

There was a classic episode when some redtop sent a photographer round to take snaps of the ne'er do wells having a wee smoke and then published a story about it being reefers being puffed.

Fat chance - it was "singles" purchased from the Corner Cafe.

Made a good story and caused all sorts of consternation.

You're not wrong Crops!
    lol.. I was probably one of the Stormtroopers sent up there to chase you. I was such a good boy.

First Team Breakthrough Joy Zipper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flemington hibb View Post
    Joy zipper, you must have been in my class. Did you have Andy Mclean, stuart mcmahon and garry (pogo) paterson with you?
    Sure did. I can remember Stuart McMahon and Gary paterson, but not Andy McLean. Long time ago. I'm Fraser Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    I was one of 'em.

There was a classic episode when some redtop sent a photographer round to take snaps of the ne'er do wells having a wee smoke and then published a story about it being reefers being puffed.

Fat chance - it was "singles" purchased from the Corner Cafe.

Made a good story and caused all sorts of consternation.
    The Corner Caff. Ahhhh. Mind the two sisters who ran it? They were like extras from a Hammer film.

Fraser Smith me old china! Its Garry Paterson here. Think you were in my class twice, did you not go to Leith Academy also? How's life treating ye?