hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    There were bus loads of Bolton fans already in London or almost there when tonights game was called off. They could not believe it as the weather in Bolton was much worse than that in London.

I cant believe that Premiership clubs (outwith Portsmouth) cant afford to clear the surrounding area of the stadium in the lead up to a game, especially the likes of Man City and Arsenal

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    I was listening to Radio Scotland while driving home tonight and PC Plod was on talking about this. Chick Dung asked why shopping centres etc weren't closed and PC Plod said this was because they weren't governed by safety certificates.

Apparently the police never call off games, it's the clubs who call it off on police advice. Although if they want to go against the police advice they have to appeal to some local authority committee.

I agree with DH. It's a pile of pish. If you're that worried about the snow while walking to a game of football invest in a pair of crampons.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was hell just walking to that game on Sunday. It should have been called off. If the weather, pavements and roads are even close as bad as they are just now, then I hope Saturday is called off.
    Were you wearing 12" stiletto heels and do you have a truly awful sense of balance??

The Derby was fine. By the time it came to kick off, the roads and pavements were fine - a bit minging and slushy if that.

However, this chat of -10/-20 does make me fear for the game againt Irvine Meadow.

It was hell just walking to that game on Sunday. It should have been called off. If the weather, pavements and roads are even close as bad as they are just now, then I hope Saturday is called off.
    Nonsense. I walked down from Bruntsfield without any bother.

This isn't necessarily directed at you Steve20 but what's wrong with personal responsibility? Everyone seems to expect the Council to grit every road and pavement. As soon as it snows and life gets a wee bit more difficult everyone wants someone to hold their hand - pish, man-up for christsakes.

If you live in Edinburgh then you can get a bus or walk if you can't get your car out. If you live in the country and roads are blocked then you have to accept that missing fitba matches is maybe a regrettable yet unavoidable consequence of your lifestyle choices. The show must go on. FFS this is a northern hemisphere country, we're turning into a nation of bloody wimps. Billy Connolly said something like "there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrang clathaes".

If the pitch is playable then the game should go on. End of story.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    Even if the other team can't get here?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Even if the other team can't get here?
    No excuses will be tolerated. They can ski here if need be. They should come through to our nations capital the day before anyway - make a weekend of it, do some shopping, go to a show at the Playhouse, that kind of thing.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    It was hell just walking to that game on Sunday. It should have been called off.
    Walking may seem less of a problem if you manage to get a grip.

I got the train through on Sunday and then got a taxi to the ground. However, after the game it was going to be around a 90 minute wait for a taxi to pick us up so we just walked to the station.

The pavements immediately around Easter Road were ok but the pavements just off those particular roads were a nightmare and absolutely packed with snow and ice. I'm not just talking about small side roads either, these were pavements on major roads.

If the pavements around Easter Road are in the same state on Saturday as those pavements were in last Sunday, then the game could well be called off.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN SKYE View Post
    What's it gonne take a fatality to get it into some peoples minds that a football match just isn't worth the risk of putting your life on the line.
    That’s a bit of an over-reaction. If you're in fear of your life don't go to the match.

It's not that bad though - everyone (that wants to) can still get to their work and to the shops without dying so it's probably ok to get to the match as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    The fans can get there - if they want to. The main roads are fine - I've not missed a days work yet.

The buses are still running if you're not confident driving as well.
    I missed the Rangers game because I couldn't get my car out of my estate. So if I was being selfish I'd be ranting that game went ahead! I also have to work from home today as my attempt to get to work yesterday was successful however my car got stuck 1/4 mile from my house on the return journey.

So to say fans can get there if they want is way of the mark. Calling off games is on occasion the correct thing to do as the clubs/police have to look at the overall picture not just individuals.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    Nonsense. I walked down from Bruntsfield without any bother.

Good for you. As long as your ok, then that's all that matters.

This "If you cant get to the game, then tough" is alot of pish. You have to make sure that it's safe for fans to get to the match. It's all well saying people are wimps, but what about, say the elderly who find the icy conditions impossible to get to the game. Do they not matter, as long as you get some football at the weekend? Or is it more important that you see this match than put it back to a time where almost everyone will be able too?

Blog Entries
    Well I'm flying up on Saturday from London, if I can get to airport & if it's open, was closed yesterday, so I'm firmly in camp of those who want game on! Actually, it's all my fault, I posted the other day that English games were never called off because of weather ( which did not affect the pitch ) & now here we go!
    The poster who talked about grounds requiring a public safety certificate is right but it's disingenuous of the police to pretend the decision is down to the clubs. In Scotland that's not really the case, no one is going to challenge the police decision. In England the police very rarely interfere.
    I believe Arsenal were happily going ahead with game yesterday until they became aware of major failure of public transport in/around London. My train company has a revised timetable with last train home at 7.30pm & in fact nothing ran after 2pm!! Hopefully the immediate panic will calm down & sensible decisions can be made. The absence of negative noises from ER is encouraging!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    I missed the Rangers game because I couldn't get my car out of my estate. So if I was being selfish I'd be ranting that game went ahead! I also have to work from home today as my attempt to get to work yesterday was successful however my car got stuck 1/4 mile from my house on the return journey.

So to say fans can get there if they want is way of the mark. Calling off games is on occasion the correct thing to do as the clubs/police have to look at the overall picture not just individuals.
    Bus? Train?

This "If you cant get to the game, then tough" is alot of pish. You have to make sure that it's safe for fans to get to the match. It's all well saying people are wimps, but what about, say the elderly who find the icy conditions impossible to get to the game. Do they not matter, as long as you get some football at the weekend? Or is it more important that you see this match than put it back to a time where almost everyone will be able too?
    The majority can make it if they want to. Majority rules!

This country's turning soft.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbie_Cameron View Post
    There were bus loads of Bolton fans already in London or almost there when tonights game was called off. They could not believe it as the weather in Bolton was much worse than that in London.

I cant believe that Premiership clubs (outwith Portsmouth) cant afford to clear the surrounding area of the stadium in the lead up to a game, especially the likes of Man City and Arsenal

Arsenal actually did clear the surrounding areas. The game was called off due to public transport issues. The Emirates is highly dependent on public transport so if that fails then fans cannot safely attend the game.

Quote Originally Posted by number 27 View Post
    Arsenal actually did clear the surrounding areas. The game was called off due to public transport issues. The Emirates is highly dependent on public transport so if that fails then fans cannot safely attend the game.
    True.
    However, with the weather so bad in the Home Counties, the sheer logisitcal problem of getting the entire Man U support up North to Manchester, was just too big a hurdle to overcome. Hopefully the trains will be running and well-stocked with prawn sarnies for the replay

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Bus? Train?

The majority can make it if they want to. Majority rules!

This country's turning soft.
    True we're living in a country of wimps

If you want to go to the game then go wrap up warm and wear the correct footwear and if you don't want to go then sit in yer hoose listening to the game on the radio or watch a old cowboy film on bbc 2 then come on here and complain that we only scored 9 against a pub team and slag of certain players

When was the last winter we had a prolonged freeze? Lets change to summer football then you can all moan about it interfering with holidays, bbq's and it being too warm to expect players to put a full shift in.

I'm glad someone's posted about this nonsense. It's the classic example of how we've all become so comfortable and mollycoddled, we now mindlessly cede power over the authorities, be they right-wing police chiefs or leftish councils over the decisions that effect our lives.

I was in my local hostelry the other day, taking to an old Hibby who was correctly derisive at the sheer poofiness of those who won't go out in a few inches of snow or who think it's a tradgety of Rwanda proportions if their mobile phone runs out of juice.

It's time for us all to man up a little, methinks, and tell the authorities to get stuffed.

Let me be the first to pull the switch and sleep soundly afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I'm glad someone's posted about this nonsense. It's the classic example of how we've all become so comfortable and mollycoddled, we now mindlessly cede power over the authorities, be they right-wing police chiefs or leftish councils over the decisions that effect our lives.

I was in my local hostelry the other day, taking to an old Hibby who was correctly derisive at the sheer poofiness of those who won't go out in a few inches of snow or who think it's a tradgety of Rwanda proportions if their mobile phone runs out of juice.

It's time for us all to man up a little, methinks, and tell the authorities to get stuffed.

Let me be the first to pull the switch and sleep soundly afterwards.
    Totally agree, sounds appalling response from police on Radio Scotland referred to above - do shops and cinemans not have any safety responsibilities, as you say sums up everything wrong with Scotland. Though it only needs a club with the courage to tell the police to get stuffed to force some changes.

So by your reasoning we should have cancelled the derby, the St Johnstone game, the cup game this weekend and potentially another two or three games because the cold spell is forecast to last another few weeks? When do you propose these games are played?

I think you'll find the elderly people your looking out for are a bit tougher than your giving them credit for.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beer monster View Post
    True we're living in a country of wimps

If you want to go to the game then go wrap up warm and wear the correct footwear and if you don't want to go then sit in yer hoose listening to the game on the radio or watch a old cowboy film on bbc 2 then come on here and complain that we only scored 9 against a pub team and slag of certain players

And that's coming from someone who has already purchased a ticket for Saturday but as things stand there is a distinct possibility I'll not be able to attend because of the state of the roads.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post
    Totally agree, sounds appalling response from police on Radio Scotland referred to above - do shops and cinemans not have any safety responsibilities, as you say sums up everything wrong with Scotland. Though it only needs a club with the courage to tell the police to get stuffed to force some changes.
    The difference is that if people can't travel to shops and cinemas they'll just go when transport's easier, whereas a football match is a one-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

And that's coming from someone who has already purchased a ticket for Saturday but as things stand there is a distinct possibility I'll not be able to attend because of the state of the roads.

mate i've been out on these so called bad roads all week all over east and west lothian as well. all main roads are fine just when you get to estates then they get a bit tricky so if you stay in those estates or small villages then leave a little bit early.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    mate i've been out on these so called bad roads all week all over east and west lothian as well. all main roads are fine just when you get to estates then they get a bit tricky so if you stay in those estates or small villages then leave a little bit early.
    There's "difficult" and there's "blocked" but hopefully things will be ok come Saturday.

@hibs.net private member
    With the roads and general transport systems in chaos if not complete shut down and emergency services et al stretched to the limit, the police are quite entitled to head off the possibility of tens of thousands of additional journeys being made when it can be avoided.

From my recent experiences on the roads, travelling fans who's trips have been aborted in recent weeks should probably be grateful to the Police for saving them from some journeys from hell. With the state of the roads right now, many fans would have to be up right early in the morning just to get there in time for KO and would have a long tortuous journey home to look forward to, enjoying speeds of 20-30mph on established trunk routes - and that's if the roads were passable at all.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

I went shopping yesterday at asda. I normally take an hour to do the shop, but allowed 2 hours yesterday. If you are going to the cinema, and it starts at 8pm. And you normally take 20 minutes to get to the cinema, you'd allow yourself extra time to get there. Why is the fitba any different?

I think its fairer to cancel a game 1 or 2 days in advance rather than 1 or two hours before the game,BUT, only for pitches that are unplayable not because the f,n surrounding areas have ice or snow,what politically correct fked up world were living in now.Make a statement then saying attendance is at your own risk.

oh aye, Charlie yir an er5e.

just been on the irvine meadow message board and none of them are worried about the roads they are just looking forward to the game.

so are some hibs fans just wimps (i canny get there cos the big polis man told me not drive) get a grip if you can go then go if you can't then tough

Coaching Staff
    I think the bigger picture is, as previous posters have mentioned, cars and vehicles getting stuck, or accidents blocking roads/accesses, those that are infirm/elderly/disabled, large number of children attending games and risk to injury (sometimes serious, which would require ambulance attendance and fast escort). 16,000 people in a congested area does not allow for a smooth operation in these conditions I would hazard a guess. I would far rather get the advance warning we had for the Saints game though, than get told an hour beforehand. And hey, putting a wee positive slant on things, postponements can sometimes give players like Zemmama, who is carrying an injury, a bit more time to get treatment. Always gutted when games are off, but would rather see Hibees from all over the central belt (and beyond) getting there safely

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    The Police look at it from the position that if a major incident occurred in or around the stadium would the emergency services be able to gain acces promptly and safely. If there is any possibility that the emergency services could be delayed or are unable to gain access for whatever reason the Police will call the event off.

Unfortunately we now live in a blame culture. The Police and Local Authorities etc live in fear of being savaged at any subsequent Fatal Accident Inquiry.

Its okay saying that a major incident will never happen think back to Bradford etc.