hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Happy with that chasing up Dalmahoy as I type, my big mate Stretch does not drive and lives down Milton road way is that on any of the drivers from down that ways way in?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Happy with that chasing up Dalmahoy as I type, my big mate Stretch does not drive and lives down Milton road way is that on any of the drivers from down that ways way in?
    Milton Road isn't exactly on my way from Leith to West Lothian, but last year nearly everyone was from the West of Edinburgh/Lothian.. if required I could birl ropund and pick someone up.. let me know once this is decided.

Cheers

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyScott View Post
    You still got my details Lawrence? I'm willing to drive again this year and that order is fine for me.

Hope your recovery from surgery picks up soon mate
    Hi Scott, pretty sure I still have your details from last year mate. If not i'll drop you a PM. Going to contact the golf courses today and try to go with Turnhouse first then back to Bathgate for pre round rolls and coffee before the short trip down the A71/Mid Calder along to Ratho and finishing at Dalmahoy. Thanks for getting back to me guys.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    order is cool houchy hope your doing ok,ronnie your boy stretch can get a run wi me
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    order is cool houchy hope your doing ok,ronnie your boy stretch can get a run wi me
    Good stuff Colin will let him know

The secretary from Ratho seemed ok and but I forgot to put down what date we were looking to play and so to let him know and he'd check their diary. I told him the date and I've not heard back since. I'll leave it now over the weekend and ask again next week.

I was back at the practice ground the other day there and was hitting everthing to 6ft from the 100 yard marker... Unfortunately that was with an 8iron and I was knackered after 100 balls.

At this stage, i'm thinking i'm going to struggle to play all 4 rounds but I'll keep working at my fitness and see where I get but June aint far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Houchy® View Post
    The secretary from Ratho seemed ok and but I forgot to put down what date we were looking to play and so to let him know and he'd check their diary. I told him the date and I've not heard back since. I'll leave it now over the weekend and ask again next week.

I was back at the practice ground the other day there and was hitting everthing to 6ft from the 100 yard marker... Unfortunately that was with an 8iron and I was knackered after 100 balls.

At this stage, i'm thinking i'm going to struggle to play all 4 rounds but I'll keep working at my fitness and see where I get but June aint far away.

You better practice making 6 ft putts then

Managed to get the 8 iron pushed up to about 120 today (into a stronger wind and colder) so going in the right direction. 18 holes still looks a long way off.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Is there any need of a reserve list for this, or even just an extra driver? Let me know ASAP so I can book a day off.

I think we'd probably have enough for another 3 teams at the moment (fortunately for us) as last year was very successful, popular and worthwhile.

There are usually call offs (and I may well be one of them this year unfortunately) but as I say I think I have at least 8 people all wanting to play.

I'll certainly register your interest just incase, but I think it's unlikely that we'll have that many call offs to be honest.

The natural question next would be "well, why don't we extend it to 20/24/28 people rather than just 12 and raise more money, but the answer to that is that we are asking these clubs for courtesy of their course during a day and I don't think asking for 3 fourballs is being too greedy, I think 5, 6 or 7 is pushing it.

Thanks for your interest though.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    I think we'd probably have enough for another 3 teams at the moment (fortunately for us) as last year was very successful, popular and worthwhile.

There are usually call offs (and I may well be one of them this year unfortunately) but as I say I think I have at least 8 people all wanting to play.

I'll certainly register your interest just incase, but I think it's unlikely that we'll have that many call offs to be honest.

The natural question next would be "well, why don't we extend it to 20/24/28 people rather than just 12 and raise more money, but the answer to that is that we are asking these clubs for courtesy of their course during a day and I don't think asking for 3 fourballs is being too greedy, I think 5, 6 or 7 is pushing it.

Thanks for your interest though.
    No probs.

Might I make a suggestion for next year? I'm a member at Liberton and maybe with a few other folk we could work in tandem at this side of Edinburgh? There's a few courses close to each other and it could even be possible to put it together for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    No probs.

Might I make a suggestion for next year? I'm a member at Liberton and maybe with a few other folk we could work in tandem at this side of Edinburgh? There's a few courses close to each other and it could even be possible to put it together for this year?
    Pretty straight forward to do mate, just get another 3 mates (or 7 for 2 teams) and contact the golf clubs outlining your plans and asking if they can support you by providing you with courtesy times for the day. You register your team name(s) with macmillan (google "Macmillan longest day challenge") and they'll send you out the sponsor packs etc.

I suppose a pitch and putt like liberton might be a good course to play during a rotation of 4.

Received from Ratho this morning:

Lawrence,

Confirming that 1.00pm, 1.06pm and 1.12pm have been booked for you on Thursday 24th June 2010.

I would be grateful if you could advise if you require any food either before or after the round.

Kind Regards

Craig
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Great gesture from Ratho park.:notworthy:

Now assuming Ronnie is getting Dalmahoy, what's peoples thoughts re taking some food on board after the round there.

We could probably get round there in 3.5 hours as it's short and flat so would be looking for the 1st group to finish there at around half 4ish so i'm wondering if we should perhaps just have packed lunches again in between courses as if we settle for a meal, it means taking shoes etc off and after 3 rounds, as most people from last year will tell you, it's not that easy to convince yourself to put them back on again for the 4th.

Lawrence,

Confirming that 1.00pm, 1.06pm and 1.12pm have been booked for you on Thursday 24th June 2010.

I would be grateful if you could advise if you require any food either before or after the round.

Kind Regards

Craig

Now assuming Ronnie is getting Dalmahoy, what's peoples thoughts re taking some food on board after the round there.

We could probably get round there in 3.5 hours as it's short and flat so would be looking for the 1st group to finish there at around half 4ish so i'm wondering if we should perhaps just have packed lunches again in between courses as if we settle for a meal, it means taking shoes etc off and after 3 rounds, as most people from last year will tell you, it's not that easy to convince yourself to put them back on again for the 4th.
    Given Ratho have given us 1:00, 1:06 and 1:12, I think to give us time, we may need to push our tee time at Turnhouse to half 4 or alternatively change our course itinerary to:

Bathgate: 05:00
    Pumpherston: 09:00
    Ratho: 13:00
    Dalmahoy: 17:00

The other benefit to that is that, IIRC, Pumpherston again is pretty flat opposed to Turnhouse which has a few, fairly large, hills.

Bathgate, Pumpherston, Ratho, Dalmahoy is also a more natural route.

Again, thoughts please.

Thanks.

Lawrence,

Kind Regards

Craig

Spoke and emailed this morning but the director of golf is at a confrence till Friday, so I expect an answer then

Just received a fourball from Crieff Golf Club to be auctioned up to the value of £140

Has anybody else done anything about raffle or auction prizes all help gratefully received the more donations we receive the more we raise

I've pinged an email off to Pumpherston today asking if they would support us also. This Leaves things more open as we can (Turnhouse depending) play

Turnhouse,
    Pumpherston (which is closer to Ratho than Bathgate is),
    Ratho, then (hopefully again)
    Dalmahoy.

My concern was that if we played Bathgate (6500 yards and a fairly hilly front 9) 2nd, we'd only have about 30 mins to get to Ratho which could be tight but if we can play Pumpherston (only 6000 yards and flat), we should have about 45 minutes to get there plus (as I say) the fact that it's closer.

I've pinged an email off to Pumpherston today asking if they would support us also. This Leaves things more open as we can (Turnhouse depending) play

Turnhouse,
    Pumpherston (which is closer to Ratho than Bathgate is),
    Ratho, then (hopefully again)
    Dalmahoy.

My concern was that if we played Bathgate (6500 yards and a fairly hilly front 9) 2nd, we'd only have about 30 mins to get to Ratho which could be tight but if we can play Pumpherston (only 6000 yards and flat), we should have about 45 minutes to get there plus (as I say) the fact that it's closer.
    Hi Ronnie,

Hope you are well.

I have booked 1730, 1738 and 1746 for you with our compliments.

Good luck with your event and hope the sun shines for you on the day.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hi Ronnie,

Hope you are well.

I have booked 1730, 1738 and 1746 for you with our compliments.

Good luck with your event and hope the sun shines for you on the day.

Best Wishes,

Alan
    Nice one Ronnie, again mate.

So at the moment we have confirmed:

Bathgate (anytime)

Ratho: 13:00 onwards
    Dalmahoy: 17:30 onwards

I think i'm going to have to go back to Ratho, cap in hand asking them if we can push the time back to 1:30 as I think it'll be tight getting from Bathgate to Ratho in 30 minutes whereas Ratho to Dalmahoy should be a piece of P*ss in 30 mins

Can anyone else see a better way of doing this as I'm struggling to get my head around this one now.

I think (with all due respect) we're going to need to leave out Turnhouse as the logistics just aint going to work due to the distances between the courses unless we were playing it 2nd before going to Ratho but unless we have a course within a couple of miles to play first, it'll take too long to get there in rush hour traffic.

In all honesty, I think we'll need to try to and keep the courses tighter packed like last year ie Bathgate, Uphall or Pumpherston, Ratho, Dalmahoy.

Update:

Ratho have been kind enough to change our tee times to 13:16 through to 13:30 leaving 45 minutes to get from course 2 (whether it's Bathgate or Pumpherson) to Ratho.

So it now stands as:

Bathgate (anytime)

Ratho: 13:16
    Dalmahoy: 17:30
    Last edited by Houchy; 19-03-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Got an email today from turnhouse giving us the tee from 5am so I suggest meeting there around half 4 so that the 1st group can shoot off sharpish before heading to Bathgate or pumpherston. Bathgate will prob give us bacon rolls and coffee but pumpherston is flatter and shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Houchy View Post
    Got an email today from turnhouse giving us the tee from 5am so I suggest meeting there around half 4 so that the 1st group can shoot off sharpish before heading to Bathgate or pumpherston. Bathgate will prob give us bacon rolls and coffee but pumpherston is flatter and shorter.
    Can we not subsitute Pumperston for Turnhouse? flatter and closer to Bathgate

Can we not subsitute Pumperston for Turnhouse? flatter and closer to Bathgate
    The thought had crossed my mind but now that Turnhouse have got back to me, I wouldn't want to say, thanks but no thanks. Also I'm still waiting to here back from Pumpherston.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Don't forget to set up a Justgiving webpage again this year.

We raked in a lot of money via that avenue last year AND it's an easy way to handle all finances/deposits.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Can people let me know how many tickets for the breakfast they need as soon as possible please

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Don't forget to set up a Justgiving webpage again this year.
    We raked in a lot of money via that avenue last year AND it's an easy way to handle all finances/deposits.
    In the process of doing just that could you all pm me your proper names so I can set the page up for all of us so that all funds that we raise collectively can go through the same page and qualify for gift aid .
    http://www.justgiving.com/Hibs-net
    Last edited by H18sry; 24-03-2010 at 02:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Great news with Garry O donating items for the auction. We must be getting a good colelction of stuff together now. I'm still waiting to hear back from the club so fingers crosses we will get some more.

On another note played my first game of golf today in 6 months, rusty was an understatement, away next weekend up north so that should put me right back in the swing of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Great news with Garry O donating items for the auction. We must be getting a good colelction of stuff together now. I'm still waiting to hear back from the club so fingers crosses we will get some more.

On another note played my first game of golf today in 6 months, rusty was an understatement, away next weekend up north so that should put me right back in the swing of things.
    If anybody else has received any donations for the auction or raffle could they please let me know so I can add them to the list

Also what are folks thoughts on advertising the stuff on here for blind bids, bids made on here to me by PM that are carried forward to the breakfast, to try to maximize our audience

If anybody else has received any donations for the auction or raffle could they please let me know so I can add them to the list

Also what are folks thoughts on advertising the stuff on here for blind bids, bids made on here to me by PM that are carried forward to the breakfast, to try to maximize our audience
    Sounds like a good plan Ronnie.

Pumpherston have just contacted me to say that they are taking our proposal to their commitee meeting on Monday.

The next thing is to arrange teams (and allocate drivers) so can anyone that can and is willing to drive please let me know so that I can make sure that there isn't a team without transport.

Thanks

I was going to put Ronnies team out first as they flew round last year.
    Ronnie, who was in your team again mate and I'll keep it the same if you are cool with that.

I was actually going to try to keep the teams very similar to last year as there were some good bonds made between people so Godsahibby, I'll put you with Mark again mate.

It'll be my team that's most changed as 2 of my team from last year can't play this year (but at least I'll not have douglas taking pictures on every tee on every course for his facebook page!!!)