hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You won 8-3 in a league game at Tynie in 1935. Quite a feat considering I imagine much of the Hearts team of the time were off doing battle in the Italo-Ethiopian war 1935-36.

Come back when you've pumped your rivals on their own patch by seven goals to nothing. On New Year's Day.
    Lest we forget

There is some corner of Abyssinia that is forever maroon...
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    maybe we should just sing back 'you haven't been solvent since 1902'

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipped flake View Post
    Hearts team that day was decimated by flu. They informed the league that they couldn't get 11 fit players and were told tough. In the end we just ran out of steam. Was still probably the best season of my life supporting the Hearts (1998 was fantastic but the 85-86 season as a whole was the best). Lived in Newcastle at the time and never missed a game home or away the whole season. Of course the Dens game was a sickener but, funnily enough, the cup final the next week wasn't. I think we all knew after losing the league like we had, we would never win the cup.
    As for the OP, I seem to recall a few hibs fans that think it's the ultimate put down to mention some league game from over 30 years ago that you won 7-0; as if it was worth more than 2 points, And Hearts fans can easily justify 108 years in a row as you won the cup in April 1902. The next final is in May 2010 so that makes 108 years and about 1 month
    You've got to LOVE this line. Did they have flu in the first game when St Mirren tanked them? Or any one of the other games they could have done better in, thereby removing the need to go and get something at Dundee?

Only Kidd-ing.

The cup thing, as has been said by Matty and Danderhall amongst others, is more important to them than us. It has resonance because, as has been said, it's an improbable statistic.

Let's be honest about it, the Scottish Cup is a Mikey Mouse tournament (only losers like the Yams could refer to it as the 'big cup') and increasingly so. The League Cup is actually harder to win, as due to the SPL clubs being seeded there is less chance of avoiding one of the OF.

However, the poor stature of the trophy only makes it all the more embarrassing that we haven't won it, particularly when you look at some of the clubs who have done in this time. So the Yams have every right to rub it in, but I don't know a single Hibby who gets annoyed or upset about the dismal record, they just see it as a daft anomaly the game sometimes throws up. In fact there seems to be a perverse enjoyment building as the Yams gloating takes on increasingly more desperate levels every year. They've raised the stakes to the extent that if we did win it, you genuinely fear that there would be mass suicide in Gorgie, or at least deep depression as something that means so much to them would have been taken away.

For my point of view, I doubt I'd be appreciably drunk than if we won the LC again, and I'd certainly be far more more slaughtered if we had the major achievement for a non OF club, and won the League.

The Scottish Cup would probably be a buggins turn thing, whereby we would still have the crap record of three cup wins in 110 years or whatever it was. Outside the OF, A'deen in the eighties are the only team with a decent, sustained SC record.

Hearts took their debt up to 20 million to win it in the 90's, and now stand flirting with extinction at 40 million down for the price of a victory after penalties and extra time against a saloon bar team who no longer exist. They (rightly) celebrate our poor record far more than that embarrassment which is almost less than worthless in itself and only has value in relation to us.

I personally find the tiresome lazy journalism that starts with 'Queen Victoria was still on the throne, Buffalo Bill...' etc etc far more painful (as the clowns in question are pros and should know better than to actually think they are being witty and original) than any dull-witted Yam jibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipped flake View Post
    Hearts team that day was decimated by flu. They informed the league that they couldn't get 11 fit players and were told tough. In the end we just ran out of steam. Was still probably the best season of my life supporting the Hearts (1998 was fantastic but the 85-86 season as a whole was the best). Lived in Newcastle at the time and never missed a game home or away the whole season. Of course the Dens game was a sickener but, funnily enough, the cup final the next week wasn't. I think we all knew after losing the league like we had, we would never win the cup.
    As for the OP, I seem to recall a few hibs fans that think it's the ultimate put down to mention some league game from over 30 years ago that you won 7-0; as if it was worth more than 2 points, And Hearts fans can easily justify 108 years in a row as you won the cup in April 1902. The next final is in May 2010 so that makes 108 years and about 1 month
    I think you just sum up the average hertz fan im afraid.The fact that hibs havent won the cup for 108 years when of course we have won the league cup 3 times which is played by the same teams and our first two wins got us into europe.Also i can assure you that the 7-0 annoys the hertz fans no end and im afraid the 108 years is but a mere irratation to hibs fans.The defeat at dens now is etched on everybodys mind and the great sir albert of kidd is now an immortal as he brought so much tears to those at the pbs.Dont think somehow 108 years bothers hibs fans to that extent eh.
    When it comes to winding up the opposition fans hertz are poor in the extreme as seen by their hibbees are gay song(jr hartley anyone) and just makes them even more a laughing stock than they are already are.Indeed one such hertz buffoon on the scotsman pages said that only those outside the pbs and the media said hertz were a laughing stock.As richard littlejohn would say you couldnt make these supporters up if you tried.
    Next they will be saying nade is a striker and it doeant take ten men and a forklift etc.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Hearts might not be a football team in the next 5-6 years. With the amount of debt and losses they are gaining each season, they are just as ****ed up as Portsmouth currently are.

maybe we should sing

you didnae have flu
    you didnae have flu

you just blew the league

you didnae have flu

Quote Originally Posted by skipster7 View Post

i remember singing" its magic you know, 36 years in a row" etc etc for a couple of years until they fluked the 98 win.
    that was the worst bit about them winning it as that would have run and run
    And fluke it they certainly did - as I recall, never played a team from the same Division or a tie away from home until the final against an ageing Rangers side on the point of breaking up. Also helped by getting a penalty which never was and Rangers not getting a stick-on penalty against McCoist which would have levelled the score at 2-2.

Plus in 2005 their only tricky tie was the semi-final against us and we could only turn out our third team on the day. They could still could only beat a now-defunct 2nd Div team on penalties after extra time in the final.

You need a bit of luck in the draw and on the park to win any cup and the Yams have certainly had more than their fair share over the years. But for such a big, big club, on a whole different level to Hibs, rivals now the big clubs of Europe etc etc, three Scottish Cups since the end of WW2 is not exactly what most people would call having a "special relationship" with the SC. The only special relationship which most Yams have is with their own delusions. Apart from the ones who have married their sisters, obviously
    Last edited by Hibbie0762; 07-01-2010 at 01:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Hibby View Post
    maybe we should sing

you didnae have flu
    you didnae have flu

you just blew the league

you didnae have flu

No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn