hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Spain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say at least half or very close to it are catholic.
    Looks like people are drawing conclusions from their own experience. I would say that at least half of the Hibs support are athiest or agnostic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    Looks like people are drawing conclusions from their own experience. I would say that at least half of the Hibs support are athiest or agnostic.
    Yeh,I'm just judging by what I see,hear and know and guesstimating.I don't know what religion a lot of my fellow supporters are.I never thought to ask! It's irrelevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Spain View Post
    Yeh,I'm just judging by what I see,hear and know and guesstimating.I don't know what religion a lot of my fellow supporters are.I never thought to ask! It's irrelevant to me.
    And that is the beauty of being a Hibby (or just one of the many beautiful things about being a Hibby)

Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post

I love the internet there's always someone will out pedant you

OK I'll try and have a go back...

I'm beaten already! There's actually only two verses to the national anthem, according to the Royal Family's own website Betty's place

A wee bit of digging shows they dropped the second verse (I thought that was the second verse too) after the war as it was too belligerent.

The rest of your verses are a mish mash from various sources, none of them official.
    Your verse 4 comes from an attempted rewrite to remove all the references to royalty. Its sometimes called the Commonwealth verse and is used in Oz and NZ.
    Verse 5 was written after someone took a potshot at George III (and somehow managed to miss) but was never officially adopted.

Your verse 6 is of course the controversial one!

It has, and has never had, any official status. Its just one of many non-official verses that various people have written and sung at various times. It has the same status as the Sex Pistols version - though it was probably better recieved by the establishment
    It had fallen out of use long before God Save the Queen became the British national anthem

There was a Jacobite verse (some people claim the whole song is Jacobite) written around the same time

God bless the prince, I pray
    God bless the prince, I pray
    Charlie I mean
    That Scotland we may see
    Freed from vile Presbyt'ry
    Both George and his ****ie
    Ever so, amen

It has exactly the same status as all the other non-offical verses so you could always sing that (Oh and thats not a sweary word thats been blanked out! Petrie!!! : )

There's also a bilingual Canadian version, a Peace version, a Maori version, and a (vaguely) Republican one. And probablt loads more.

The French of course claim they wrote the whole thing and it's all about Louis XIV's hemorrhoids. Which always gives me a smile when I see it sung at national events. . The poor Queen.

Did anyone else have to study this recently
    Ah well that will be me out pedanted. Congratulations

For the record none of the verses belong to me, just something I found on the net for discussion.

As for the National Anthem I couldn't give a hoot.

Have a very Merry Christmas master Pedanter

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    TBH I'd say the majority of people won't come under the catholic or prodestant category but would fall under the couldn't give a **** about religion as its all made up nonsense category.

There will be a few religous types at Easter Road but how many Easter Road regulars do you know that go to church? I know a big fat ZERO.
    I know quite a few actually but I personally don't know any members of anti-fascist action who do although me and my mates did chase a seller of 'Bulldog' from his pitch outside ER in the late 80's.

Amazingly, not everyone at ER believes the same things as you

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    I remember it as:

bring on Hearts Rangers and the Celtic
    bring on the Spaniards by the score
    Barcelona, Real Madrid
    they will make their gallant bid
    but you'll never see the Spaniards anymore
    Version I remember didn't recognise yams as worthy of inclusion. That was before they were a big team and won two cups in a century.

Bring on Rangers after Celtic
    Bring on Spaniards by the score
    Barcelona, Real Madrid
    They will make a gallant bid
    But we're out to show the world what we can do

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    No idea how many Catholics support Hibs but I can tell you that a sgnificant number of Jedi do.

Certain am I

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    I would say, going by an independent poll that was published in a book I read that the support is close to 50% Roman Catholic. As you say, others have done surveys using a sample population of them and their mates and drawn different conclusions.

I have to say, it's not something I normally ask people. But it is quite embarassing to see all this "I'm Protestant, and so are my mates, so the Hibs support is overwhelmingly non Catholic".

A bit of imagination about the club's origins would surely make it likely that Hibs have traditionally drawn support from Roman Catholic families in the area, as well as Protestant ones.

Mind you I met a Sikh the other day and he supports Hibs, so I would say that a large proportion of Hibs supporters wear turbans.

In all this guff about catholic and protestant Hibs fans, and even shieks, muslims and jews, those of us who don't give a flying Wolfgang Puck about religion shouldn't be forgotten.

Everything indicates to me that we're not only the silent majority at ER, but in Scotland as a whole. Even amongst the empty vessel bigots of Rantic, most of whom have never seen the inside of a church without shaking, drooling and suffering in grim anticipation of the alcoholic relief to follow follow at the subsequent wedding of two inbred mongols or the thankful funeral of another buffoon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    I

Mind you I met a Sikh the other day and he supports Hibs, so I would say that a large proportion of Hibs supporters wear turbans.

this made me laugh.....very funny....

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    In all this guff about catholic and protestant Hibs fans, and even shieks, muslims and jews, those of us who don't give a flying Wolfgang Puck about religion shouldn't be forgotten.

Everything indicates to me that we're not only the silent majority at ER, but in Scotland as a whole. Even amongst the empty vessel bigots of Rantic, most of whom have never seen the inside of a church without shaking, drooling and suffering in grim anticipation of the alcoholic relief to follow follow at the subsequent wedding of two inbred mongols or the thankful funeral of another buffoon.
    Excellent post! It's also the only time they ever wear their ill-fitting, dubiously stained, fashionless glad-rags, apart from their numerous appearances in court on charges of benefit fraud.

Left by mutual consent! New Corrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    Excellent post! It's also the only time they ever wear their ill-fitting, dubiously stained, fashionless glad-rags, apart from their numerous appearances in court on charges of benefit fraud.

What's worse, snobbery or Bigotry ?

Dunno if thats the case, so much about Mass attendance among Celtic fans which I reckon is still quite high. RCs being the "best" observers of any Christian faith in Scotland with about 28% going for a weekly jaunt to the "Pineapple".

My old supporters bus (and a few others) still have an annual Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by corrie greens View Post
    Depends what's in fashion CG!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    From a quick poll in my head. I would have to say that 99.9999999% (got to leave some room for error) of hibs fan could not give a flying f what religion other football fans are. Think thats the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jae View Post
    Published: 11:01AM GMT 03 Dec 2007

1. God save our gracious Queen
    Long live our noble Queen
    God save the Queen
    Send her victorious
    Happy and glorious
    Long to reign over us
    God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise
    Scatter her enemies
    And make them fall
    Confound their politics
    Frustrate their knavish tricks
    On Thee our hopes we fix
    God save us all

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
    On her be pleased to pour
    Long may she reign
    May she defend our laws
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen

4. Not in this land alone
    But be God's mercies known
    From shore to shore
    Lord make the nations see
    That men should brothers be
    And form one family
    The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
    From the assassins blow
    God save the Queen
    O'er her thine arm extend
    For Britain's sake defend
    Our mother, prince, and friend
    God save the Queen

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring
    May he sedition hush
    And like a torrent rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush
    God save the King
    Although the Jacobites used this in reply

God bless the prince, I pray,
    God bless the prince, I pray,
    Charlie I mean;
    That Scotland we may see
    Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
    Both George and his ****ie,
    Ever so, Amen.

Edit: Sorry Barcahibs, posted this before I got to #56
    Last edited by dangermouse; 23-12-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Apology

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Your mate is spot on, a lot of the tensions started from economic migration to induustrial areas in the mid 19th century. Although strangely, the worst sectarian violence at that time was in Liverpool, not in Scotland or elsewhere the Irish went. But for some reason sectarianism never got established there the same way as it did in Scotland
    Perhaps the history scholar should check the history of Scotland around 1560. The anti-catholic bigotry which flowed into the East coast towns from the continent at that time contained much anto-pope material which would never be allowed to be published now. I'm not sure that all this religion has a great deal to do with football and bearing in mind that it all happened before the Jams had won any world wars it all seems somewhat irrelevant. Sectarianism became more firmly established in Scotland because Scotland had a genuine Reformation and England did not.

Quote Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post
    Dunno if thats the case, so much about Mass attendance among Celtic fans which I reckon is still quite high. RCs being the "best" observers of any Christian faith in Scotland with about 28% going for a weekly jaunt to the "Pineapple".

Well it's a pity more of them don't take the basic Christian principles to games with them

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post

Good for you

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Well, bigotry, obviously. Not many people die as a result of snobbery.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'm Catholic, but as far as I'm concerned my religion plays no part in any other aspect of my life, including football. I also couldn't care less about what religion, let alone sect, people choose to follow.

It's a shame that I will be subject to blind abuse from many football fans who know no better (and indeed, the reverse applies to members of the Church of Scotland et al) and apply a number of stupid prejudices to me but hey, that's human nature.

Btw, I ****in' hate Celtic.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 25-12-2009 at 06:20 AM.

First Team Breakthrough the happy hibee's Avatar
    Bigotry! But only if its against the blue side of glasgow tho CG eh! from the happy hibee son colin

Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    Well, bigotry, obviously. Not many people die as a result of snobbery.
    I got called a Glasgow tramp when I started school in Edinburgh - at one point had a group of about 10 yams trying to chase me around the playground, that was nice (I was 6 at the time) and had no idea why everyone decided to hate me cos I had a Glasgow accent. Snobbery might not kill anyone but being called a Glasgow tramp wasn't much different to being called a fenian Hibs bar steward for me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornton Hibee View Post
    Always has been mate, perhaps to do with the Council splitting Fife into three sectors?
    I'd agree that Lochgelly, Hill of Beath, Ballingry etc are staunch Rangers and would also mention Kennoway and having been brought up near Glenrothes, it is full of them too.
    Having followed Thornton Hibs for many years wearing green and white I've seen and heard thousands of abusive comments referring to us as "fenian *******s" etc both in and out of Fife
    Strange wee place that.

I went up to stay with a mate one time and we went around a few of the pubs. I was in one put and there was about 12 people around 20ish all watching the Eurovision song contest. Weird.

I then asked him and one of his mates to take me to a place a little more lively. We went to this rough boozer and we were in there for about 2 minutes and got offered a square go because I was fi Edinburgh.

The boy looked like a wee tool but there were about 20 of them so would have got ****ed up!

There were grown men in their late 30s / 40s chasing cars down the street trying to kick them and just generally going radge. Freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    Strange wee place that.

I went up to stay with a mate one time and we went around a few of the pubs. I was in one put and there was about 12 people around 20ish all watching the Eurovision song contest. Weird.

I then asked him and one of his mates to take me to a place a little more lively. We went to this rough boozer and we were in there for about 2 minutes and got offered a square go because I was fi Edinburgh.

The boy looked like a wee tool but there were about 20 of them so would have got ****ed up!

There were grown men in their late 30s / 40s chasing cars down the street trying to kick them and just generally going radge. Freaks.
    I spent a few years of my childhood in Glenrothes & attended Caskieberran primary school..fantastic "new town"...sadly it deteriorated & i couldnt believe the place when i re-visited it many years later ..mind you its far bigger now than it was then ..a kinda like Livingston ..

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    To Rangers fans, Hibs are Fenian bastirts! To non-Glasgow based Celtc fans, Hibs are dirty orange bastirts!
    rftrrrr
    We cant win!
    Rangers fans are hun **rs simple.

Originally Posted by JackRegan
    Due to a large amount of Celtic games taking place on a Sunday, I see a lot of Junior football on a Saturday and have became quite attached and involved in my "wee" team.

anyway, the juniors is pretty good and apart from a handful of clubs its a great mix of people involved. However on a pre seasone xcursion to Fife, we (50/50 spilt of huns and Tims)were all astounded at the level of bitterness among those in COwdenbeath. One of my bluenose mates even said that this was anti Catholicism on a different level.

I also remember seeing Celtic play East Fife at Methil in 1984 and having auld dears calling us all the Papish so and sos under the sun.

Which is strange because Pars and Raith fans are rpetty decent. No wat can teh guy be a "true Fifer". If he was a "true Fifer", he'd support a Fife team.

Was this the game that Gordon Durie scored twice to knock us out of the cup? We signed him up not much longer after if i remember rightly.
    I do remember a pretty venomous atmosphere but also remember that a lot of so called East Fife fans were actually Huns looking for someone to hate and we fitted the bill. I was only about 13 at the time so I may not be completely accurate. I was glad to get out there, i do remember that much!

Everything indicates to me that we're not only the silent majority at ER, but in Scotland as a whole. Even amongst the empty vessel bigots of Rantic, most of whom have never seen the inside of a church without shaking, drooling and suffering in grim anticipation of the alcoholic relief to follow follow at the subsequent wedding of two inbred *****ls or the thankful funeral of another buffoon.
    That second paragraph made me do a proper giggle, even at the third time of reading. I'm playing catch-up here being a newbie to the forum so apologies for the belated response t o this post, but... Well said that man.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McrHibee View Post
    That second paragraph made me do a proper giggle, even at the third time of reading. I'm playing catch-up here being a newbie to the forum so apologies for the belated response t o this post, but... Well said that man.

Only another 9 years worth of threads to go then!

First Team Breakthrough NZ Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    To Rangers fans, Hibs are Fenian bastirts! To non-Glasgow based Celtc fans, Hibs are dirty orange bastirts!

We cant win!
    When you relate religion to football, no one wins.