hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar

Wotherspoon and Stevenson

I thought they were excellent today

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wotherspoon i thought was a standout...

Ive come to expect that performance from Stevenson, which i suppose is praise in itself...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Wotherspoon especially. So unlucky with his shot (Nish probably would have been given it) but great save from the keeper.

This might seem extremely harsh but I'm starting to think the more I see Stevenson it becomes more obvious that he's a really limited footballer.

When he was picking the ball up at left back he was either humping it up the pitch or looking to give it straight to Ian Murray, not once did he take a man on or play an adventurous pass. Compare that to Wotherspoons performance, in the 2nd half especially, and it's night and day between the two already. I still like Stevenson, he does the simple things well but I can't see him getting a starting place in this team when at full strength anytime soon.

The greatest compliment to Wotherspoon was Driver getting switched to the right wing with 15 minutes left.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    So is Stevenson second choice left back over Hanlon now? Surprised at that considering Hanlon did alright in the first couple of games before making way for Murray.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This might seem extremely harsh but I'm starting to think the more I see Stevenson it becomes more obvious that he's a really limited footballer.

When he was picking the ball up at left back he was either humping it up the pitch or looking to give it straight to Ian Murray, not once did he take a man on or play an adventurous pass. Compare that to Wotherspoons performance, in the 2nd half especially, and it's night and day between the two already. I still like Stevenson, he does the simple things well but I can't see him getting a starting place in this team when at full strength anytime soon.

The greatest compliment to Wotherspoon was Driver getting switched to the right wing with 15 minutes left.
    Agree with part of this. Wotherspoon was looking to pass the ball out of defence, maybe even take it a wee run, but stevenson was humping it at every chance. He goes to ground quite early, wins the ball granted, but is usually at the expense of a throw in or corner. What I dont agree with is that he is limited. When he first came on the scene he was a good prospect, running with the ball, passing and defending. He just needs to get his confidence back, which wont happen at left back!

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Stevenson needs to be more confident in his abilties when passing the ball. If anyone can instill that in him, it's Yogi.

I don't think Lewis has developed at all since he broke into the team. He takes one touch too many and as mentioned looks to hoof it away. He played ok today as we spent most of the day defending but his attacking play is limited.

I honestly think Lewis is still mentally recovering from his injury, he is a no nonsense full back and I LIKE HIM. :notworthy:

@hibs.net private member
    How unlucky was Wotherspoon with that shot. a great save but didnt that happen to him when Boruc pulled off a similar save abnd push it onto the post earlier in the season?

I still think Lewis played his best football for Hibs in central midfield. He is never really a full-back, just solid and left sided.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I personally think Lewis is a decent player, but one who will never command a 1st team place at easter road. In fact it would not surprise me if he was to leave before his contract is up.

Stevenson was average and Wotherspoon was really good.

I'd rather have Wotherspoon playing further up the pitch (in place of Rankin today) with McCormack in at right back.

I agree with the above comments about Lewis, has the look of a journeyman about him at the moment. Needs a better haircut as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    Stevenson was average and Wotherspoon was really good.
    Stevenson was good ..Wotherspoon was excellent ..

Stevenson aint a full back though, so considering ..i think the lad done good ..

Wotherspoon was okay in the first half, but really came onto a game in the 2nd, his touch and awareness is brilliant for such a young player.

Lewis was OK, but I think Hanlon offers more at LB.

Thought Wotherspoon played really well today,like others have said especially in the second have but id much rather see Hanlon play left back than Stevenson obviously his main objective is to defend but I dont think he offers enough going forward.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Wotherspoon needs to be played at Right Midfield. We didn't have enough width today, and nobody really capable of beating a man and putting in a good cross/taking a shot. Cracking young player.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Wotherspoon needs to be played at Right Midfield. We didn't have enough width today, and nobody really capable of beating a man and putting in a good cross/taking a shot. Cracking young player.
    I was confident of the lad playing RFB but in the absence of Zemmama i would have preferred a bit of width in Galbraith as opposed to Benji...we didnt hit the flanks enough..thats where they are weaker imo ..

First Team Breakthrough maximushibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: maximushardonas
    yeh completley aggree thought stevenson did well and wotherspoin was absolutley brilliant. I got to confess i wasn't looking forward to seeing wotherspoon up against driver but thankfully i was proved wrong. think i owe wotherspoon an apology haha SORRY

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Thought they were both excellent, particulary Wotherspoon. Stevenson played very well too

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Naw PSN ID: Naw Wii Code: Naw
    What some of you have to remember is, that Lewis is a couple of years ahead of young David in breaking into the team as a "teenage star" and he probably knows how hard it is to keep that momentum

Both done well today IMO

I would also say that it was the right decision to play Lewis before Hanlon, as Lewis has been in more matches that mean something

Experience, even in a youngster who hasnae played much, matters in these games IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Archie21 View Post
    I thought they were excellent today

I wouldn't mention them in the same sentence. Wotherspoon looks like he could go on and be another multi-million pound player.

Stevenson doesn't.

I thought both played well today. People saying all Stevenson was doing was humping it up the park, where as with Spoony, Stokes was atleast looking for the ball and moving up the wing where as all Stevenson had to help was Rankin standing on the sideline not moving as Stevenson tried to bring the ball further up the park. I'm not Rankin-Bashing BUT IMO Stevenson had limited options of what to do as half the time Rankin wasn't even on the wing.....

Lewis played as well as I've seen in a long time but he is indeed an extremely limited player. Well done to him though.

Wotherspoon is the next big thing- he really is. Wonderful footballer-like a more cultured version of Whittaker.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post

It certainly is IMO!

The guy has hardly played this season - he should be given a decent run in the team to get back to where he was the season we won the CIS Cup! Then assess him again!

Both played very well indeed.

I must admit though, I was on my feet, I thought Wotherspoon's shot was in.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_17 View Post
    Both played very well indeed.

I must admit though, I was on my feet, I thought Wotherspoon's shot was in.
    I think everyone in the Roseburn (Stand that is !) thought it was in!
    Last edited by TornadoHibby; 07-11-2009 at 06:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Wotherspoon (again) had a very good game, he limited their left side which was their two best players and plays with a class about him I love too see. He's going to be a cracking player.

Like others I'd like to see Wotherspoon playing further up the park, we need to sign a right back in Jan as this team IMO would be great;

-----------------------Stack----------------------

New RB-----------Hogg-------Bamba-------Murray

--------------Miller----------------McBride--------

Wotherspoon-----------Zemmama-----------Riordan

-------------------------Stokes-------------------