hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Standing

More and more nowadays you see on tv away fans aswell as home fans standing at games, even aberdeen fans were standing on sat at ER. I was wondering if we will stand at the game on sat. Far better than sitting down i think plus its a better atmosphere. Its becoming more and more common now Man utd have done it for years. Any other opinions about this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I stand at every derby and pretty much every game. A massive part of going to the football for me.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    So much bette standing but you always get the person behind you is the one who is sat and therefore cant see.... it makes for a much better atmosphere aswell....

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I stand at every derby and pretty much every game. A massive part of going to the football for me.

Theres always some person that shouts sit doon i cannae see.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanduff View Post
    So much bette standing but you always get the person behind you is the one who is sat and therefore cant see.... it makes for a much better atmosphere aswell....
    Try the Hibs end next time?

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Theres always some person that shouts sit doon i cannae see.
    In which you shout back... "You have a pair of legs anaw ya lazy bas..."

I say get rid of the seats and get the 30,000+ fans back to the games.

At each derby for the last couple of years everyone around me has stood, and that's been at pretty much every area of the stand. So much better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post

Did anything ever come of the petition that was doing the round here a few months back and a load of us signed?

Standing at the football makes the experience so much more better, gets people singing aswell.

When you're sitting, you're watching the game.

When you're standing, you're apart of the game.

Couple of seasons ago, I was standing at the back of the main stand at tannadice, steward came all the way from the front to tell me to sit. who's view exactly was I blocking?? On the other hand, was at Ibrox standing and the polis came over, i thought here we go again. But he just said if i wanted to stand to go next to the stairwell. Sitting at games is just not right somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by GC View Post
    Did anything ever come of the petition that was doing the round here a few months back and a load of us signed?

Standing at the football makes the experience so much more better, gets people singing aswell.

I never heard anything more about it. I singed it and it was meant to be getting presented to MP's to discuss at parliament. Probably thrown out though.

When you're sitting, you're watching the game.

When you're standing, you're apart of the game.
    Hope not, I like to be there myself if I'm honest

First Team Regular HibeeSince82's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: borninhell82
    I was down for the Aberdeen game and was the first time in awhile ive been at a game and been in the East and was standing the whole game. Was soo much better than sitting. Like someone else said you feel apart of the game when your standing.

I never heard anything more about it. I singed it and it was meant to be getting presented to MP's to discuss at parliament. Probably thrown out though.
    Yeah I hoped it would at least get some sort of discussion on the go.

If it can be made safe which is plain to see by looking at German football for starters then why not do it.

Would reverse a game that is dying on it's feet when it comes to fans feeling as much a part of it as the team they're supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeSince82 View Post
    I was down for the Aberdeen game and was the first time in awhile ive been at a game and been in the East and was standing the whole game. Was soo much better than sitting. Like someone else said you feel apart of the game when your standing.
    I really shouldn't but what the hell
    Last edited by GC; 04-11-2009 at 10:12 PM.

First Team Regular HibeeSince82's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: borninhell82
    Quote Originally Posted by GC View Post
    I really shouldn't but what the hell

Maybe i should revise my earlier statement lol

It made the game feel more exciting when standing up than when your sitting down

Agree, but just to avoid embarrasment,

Please check that the lazy bas does indeed have a pair of legs. Very harsh otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Hibee View Post
    Agree, but just to avoid embarrasment,

Please check that the lazy bas does indeed have a pair of legs. Very harsh otherwise
    If not... They can borrow Nades forklift.

More and more nowadays you see on tv away fans aswell as home fans standing at games, even aberdeen fans were standing on sat at ER. I was wondering if we will stand at the game on sat. Far better than sitting down i think plus its a better atmosphere. Its becoming more and more common now Man utd have done it for years. Any other opinions about this?
    Ahhh you and your standing..... is there any ground in Scotland you havent had an argument with a steward about being told to sit down?

Seriously though standing is so much better - Especially coming into the winter months to avoid freezing to death.

Row 10 for me on Saturday so need the best part of 18 rows behind me to stand before i can. Whats the chances??

We even stand over here for Wellington Phoenix in the A-League, in a specific section at least. Much better

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Love standing at the games. Stood on saturday against Aberdeen and will do so against Hearts again.

What we all have to remember though, is that some people struggle to stand for 90 mins and that has to be respected. A standing section would solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Love standing at the games. Stood on saturday against Aberdeen and will do so against Hearts again.

What we all have to remember though, is that some people struggle to stand for 90 mins and that has to be respected. A standing section would solve that problem.
    I'm glad somebody mentioned this. It's OK standing in the East at ER, as that's what people expect and there are other parts of the stadium for the older, infirm and kids (and for people who just like to sit down). However, situations like Tynecastle, where there's only one stand for the away fans and you just have to sit on the allocated seat, it does seem a bit unfair to force everybody to stand.

We really NEED designated seating areas, so this wouldn't then be a problem.

p.s. In case I've given the wrong idea, I'm all FOR standing areas at games, as I much preferred the East when it was a covered terrace from the mid eighties to early nineties.

People managed to stand before all seater stadiums for 90 minutes?

These folk need to harden up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

In the season before 94/95 there were 7,000 seats at ER, so not everybody stood even then..............

I always felt sitting was a bit 'poofy' maself.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    You better learn to live with sitting, as standing is not coming back

This debate keeps coming up but nothing ever happens as things have simply moved on. Who in the UK has officially brought back standing?

The 'standing' that often takes place is just a mess. Loads of people end up standing on seats. What is that all about? Everyone sits or everyone stands. Pretty simple. The modern terracing is also not designed for standing.

I miss standing but lots of people like sitting and you do actually get to see the whole game. I can recall loads of time standing, particularly at Hampden , when it was either difficult to see or downright dangerous. Sitting is certainly better for kids and the vertically challenged. People who stand simply ignore this. I have seen this in parts of the East stand, who are particularly bad at standing on seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    You better learn to live with sitting, as standing is not coming back

This debate keeps coming up but nothing ever happens as things have simply moved on. Who in the UK has officially brought back standing?

The 'standing' that often takes place is just a mess. Loads of people end up standing on seats. What is that all about? Everyone sits or everyone stands. Pretty simple. The modern terracing is also not designed for standing.

I miss standing but lots of people like sitting and you do actually get to see the whole game. I can recall loads of time standing, particularly at Hampden , when it was either difficult to see or downright dangerous. Sitting is certainly better for kids and the vertically challenged. People who stand simply ignore this. I have seen this in parts of the East stand, who are particularly bad at standing on seats.
    A bit negative here, no reason why standing areas cannot come back if political will there. There are plenty of grounds that still have terracing all over the UK. No one is suggesting getting rid of all seated areas, just catering for all.

It's pure selfishness to stand in a seated area isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It's pure selfishness to stand in a seated area isn't it?
    Nonsense. It's pure selfishness forcing people to sit at a derby if you ask me.

I'm not having the 'people may not be able to stand for 90 minutes' thing. What did people do in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc..? There's an old lady in the East Terracing, there everyweek including the rowdier games versus Hearts and she stands everyweek, must be at least 70.

Shame the standing bug hasn't caught on up here. Every away support in England stands (almost).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

There was always a CHOICE in those days - the old main stand and the seated enclosure (now the Famous Five) were the place to go if you had dodgy legs or a bad hangover.

I'd be all in favour of safe standing areas being re-introduced - they were outlawed as part of a ridiculous over-reaction to the Hillsborough disaster and the atmosphere in grounds around the country has gone downhill as a result (not to mention many clubs being put thrown into financial meltdown through having to splash out mega millions on new stands).
    Every cloud has a silver lining though and I think with the high standards and safety checks now in place new standing areas could make our stadiums better than they ever were - bring it on!