hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The chances are it wouldnt be a democracy if it hadnt been for the people that we are being asked to remember!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    In case most have missed it EVERY SPL GROUND WILL OBSERVE A MINUTES SILENCE THIS WEEKEND. Its not exclusively Hearts that are arranging this it has come from the SPL.
    FWIW I agree this has no place in a football ground. If it was on the 11th at the 11th then it would.
    I dont know about the soldiers being paraded is just at Tynie but this is probably more appropriate than the silence IMO.

Was wondering when someone would point that out.

Whilst I'm all for having as many digs at our city rivals as is possible, that some posters here are accusing Hearts of trying to set us up in this instance is what we would probably call classless were it coming back the other way. Even more so considering our own club is fully behind this Saturday's events as well.

As PaulSmith points out, a minute's silence at the footy at the game closest to Armistice Day has been common practice for a good while now as FOOTBALL pays it's respects. Never have I heard such a silence disrupted at a game involving Hibernian FC and I don't expect to this Saturday.

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Is there any particular reason why it should?

I wouldn't have to stop in Sainsburys at 12.30 on Saturday and have a minutes silence the day before remeberence day so I don't particulary see why there is one at Tynie and all other games on the Saturday. I do also fail to see why we'll have soldiers running about at half time during a game of football.

I'll have my peace poppy on and i'll observe the minutes silence on Saturday and Sunday and pay my respects to the dead like I always do. Just fail to see what this all has to do with a game of football a day before actual remeberence day.

While I appreciate that you seem to hav e anti war principles I think in you enthusiasm you are making at least one important error. The poppy is not a symbol of peace, on the contrary it is a symbol of respect for those who sacrificed their lives to obtain peace and the rights and privileges we in democratic countries enjoy. As far as why such an action at a football game, I would suggest that it is a sign of appreciation to the young men who sacrifice themselves to fight the politicians wars. The venue chosen because it is a place where a large number of people will be gathered in one place.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I agree with Antifa - this isn't apporpriate at a football match. There are plenty of opportunities to show respect, but IIRC when I was a youngster and the memory of the SECOND World War was still very fresh, people all took the trouble to turn out at the Remembrance ceremonies at the War Memorials; we didn't have to have the thing thrust at us the way it is now. Remembrance is remembrance; too many bells and whistles around for my liking these days.

IMO part of the motivation for the high profile being given to Remembrance this year is because we have a government in trouble over an unpopular war in Afghanistan and an illegal war in Iraq. I hope I'm wrong (I don't think I am) but I suspect that the powers that be are using Remembrance to deflect criticism away from our Armed Forces' present deployments, and from the way the government are depriving our Regular Forces, the Territorials, and the Cadets of vital resources without which they cannot fulfil the functions we expect them to fulfil. Respect means supporting them effectively, not indulging in cheap shows.
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    It disappoints me that many people can't appreciate why someone would object to this OTT celebration of our forces. I can understand why others might hold their point of view, but the main argument for people to fall in behind the flag seems to run along the lines of "dae whit yer telt".

I think if people don't want to respect the celebrations on Saturday, then the best thing for them to do is to keep quiet, or not go to the match. However in the lead up to the Armistice remembrance maybe it's a good time for others to reflect on how working class males are still being brought into the world with no other future than to lay down their lives for the State.

I'm feeling quite low about this at the moment. A friend of mine's brother will be buried tomorrow after being injured fighting for, well I don't know what he was fighting for. I've been thinking about how many other youngsters from Fife have died in the recent conflicts and reflecting on the fact that there is very little other option for many youngsters here but to join the forces.

Let's all think a bit harder about what the Armistice really commemorates. To me it isn't freedom, or victory, but needless slaughter. Those things mean to me that a more sombre attitude towards the whole thing is appropriate. I don't really think it sits easily with an entertainment like a football match.

I agree that this is being forced on us, and ask why we can't stick to remembering the war dead in the way we always did. I wish people would think hard about it so that we can stop sending men to be slaughtered. Dulce et Decorum est? I don't think so.
    Excellent post and agree with Doddie and Antifa on this.

Would add to the reasons already given that these occasions never seem to commemorate those who have suffered through being killed/injured by the British Army in wars which to put it mildly, were of dubious morality. If they were these occasions may be more deserving of respect.

Some people will interrupt this on Saturday, whatever their motivations hope it is acknowledged next week that they have every right to do so, whatever rubbish some of Hearts less intelligent fans will come out with next week.

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    Spot on! It was always for the fallen of two world wars on all sides.
    Do not diasagree but this is not how what is being proposed this week is coming over.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    I'm sure that people's primary reason for going to football is to watch football. Asking fans to observe a minute's silence for a war, I feel, is perfectly reasonable but having soldiers paraded around the pitch is nothing short of tacky and something which is of no relevance whatsoever at a football match.
    Do u think they want to be march round a pitch either, at last have the respect they deserve. An applude them as they go past and observe the silence, I for 1 will be showing full support to this at half time for obvious reasons...

lets just go up their and show them who the class team are in our fair city no shouting no booing just total silence from the best supporters in edinburgh na scotland na the world:notworthy:

@hibs.net private member
    I'll probably be in a minority but what is the point in any of this? You goto a fitba match and you'll be subjected to a minutes silence 1 day or 4 days before the actual remeberence day(s). Not only that you'll have to watch british soldiers parade up and down a football field. We're told to leave our politics at the turnstile, which is 100% fine by me, but clubs then are marching soldiers up and down the pitch at halftime....?

Saturday will be like being at a british army services day. Poppys on sale, minute's silence, soldiers parading. All very americanised. Since when was this the done thing at a football game?
    I think the sodgers have been invited because the charity being publicised is one which helps crippled soldiers - something I have no problem with whether I agree with the war they're currently fighting in or not.
    I think the recent upsurge in public demonstrations of support for rememberance day is probably to do with the fact that so many soldiers HAVE been killed and injured in the last 5 years or so in Iraq and Afganistan.
    Like I suspect you do, I choose to think of rememberance day as a day to remember ALL the victims of war, but the fact remains that most of the funds raised go to help disabled British veterans - help which I think they fully deserve.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The chances are it wouldnt be a democracy if it hadnt been for the people that we are being asked to remember!
    A democracy which seems to have no respect for those who dissent

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamson85 View Post
    Let it be known if you are in Block J row 17 upper tier and you make noise through the minute silence I will beat who ever it is.

Let this be a warning
    Facists talk that way you know. That said I hope nobody does anything disrespectful.

First Team Regular H1bs6H3arts2 FC's Avatar
    I'll probably be in a minority but what is the point in any of this? You goto a fitba match and you'll be subjected to a minutes silence 1 day or 4 days before the actual remeberence day(s). Not only that you'll have to watch british soldiers parade up and down a football field. We're told to leave our politics at the turnstile, which is 100% fine by me, but clubs then are marching soldiers up and down the pitch at halftime....?

Saturday will be like being at a british army services day. Poppys on sale, minute's silence, soldiers parading. All very americanised. Since when was this the done thing at a football game?
    - a refugee from Iraq or Afghanistan may find the sight of british soldiers being paraded at a FOOTBALL GAME as a bit much !!!.....i respect the troops both current & past & will show my respects on wednesday, NOT AT TYNECASTLE ON SATURDAY !!! - who decided this should happen anyway, is it the SPL or is it a government direction ???

Blog Entries

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I don't think its too much to ask for people to show some respect, buy a poppy, and take a brief moment in their day to pause and remember. Far from it being "americanised" (who would no doubt have bloody cheerleaders and someone singing an anthem), its just common courtesy and respect for those that put their lives on the line for our peers. Honestly, that post has me shaking my head

Remember, if it hadnt been for the people we are remembering Hibs probably wouldnt exist.

grr:
    You are spot on here, the British Armed Forces played a major role in ensuring that Irish landowners were able to export food when the potato crop failed in Ireland in the 1840s. Food depots at ports in Ireland were guarded by the British Armed forces as grain and other agricultural produce was exported to England - economic historians research suggest this would have been sufficient to feed all those who died/were evicted during the famine.

Had it not been for the resultant starvation (and genocide) as the Anglo-British state perpetuated their historical exploitation of the Irish, there would havebeen unlikely to have been a diaspora in Scotland to found Hibs.

Hope all Hibs fans observing minutes silence on Saturday remember this. If they do, no problem if they wish to respect rememberance of all who have died in wars.
    Last edited by Joe Baker II; 03-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by finhq031 View Post
    There are far too many deep thinking philosophers on this thread.

A request has been made for a minute's silence to show our respect for the war dead. Not too much to ask I'd have thought?
    People don't like to be stage-managed in other people's phony bull****.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    So an Act of Remembrance is other people's phony bull ***?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post
    You are spot on here, the British Armed Forces played a major role in ensuring that Irish landowners were able to export food when the potato crop failed in Ireland in the 1840s. Food depots at ports in Ireland were guarded by the British Armed forces as grain and other agricultural produce was exported to England - economic historians research suggest this would have been sufficient to feed all those who died/were evicted during the famine.

Had it not been for the resultant starvation (and genocide) as the Anglo-British state perpetuated their historical exploitation of the Irish, there would ahve been unlikely to have been a diaspora in Scotland to found Hibs.

Hope all Hibs fans observing minutes silence on Saturday remember this. If they do, no problem if they wish to respect remembrnace of all who have died in wars.
    Had it not been for British Army oppression of the Irish and the subsequent rebellion there would be no democracy in Ireland today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Just the sort of thing JS Mill or Albert Camus might have said. Or in the words of John Bogle:

So they collected the cripples, the wounded, the maimed
    And they shipped us back home to Australia
    The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane
    Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla
    And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay
    I looked at the place where my legs used to be
    And thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me
    To grieve and to mourn and to pity
    And the band played Waltzing Matilda
    As they carried us down the gangway
    But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared
    Then turned all their faces away

And now every April I sit on my porch
    And I watch the parade pass before me
    And I watch my old comrades, how proudly they march
    Reliving old dreams of past glory
    And the old men march slowly, all bent, stiff and sore
    The forgotten heroes from a forgotten war
    And the young people ask, "What are they marching for?"
    And I ask myself the same question
    And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
    And the old men answer to the call
    But year after year their numbers get fewer
    Some day no one will march there at all

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
    Who'll come a waltzing Matilda with me
    And their ghosts may be heard as you pass the Billabong
    Who'll come-a-waltzing Matilda with me?

@hibs.net private member Berwickhibby's Avatar
    I for one will be at Tynecastle on Saturday, standing silent in rememerance. I hope my fellow Hibees show the same dignity and class for the brave working class men who died in service of their country.

Blog Entries
    So an Act of Remembrance is other people's phony bull ***?
    Sorry, everything YOU believe in is right. I hope you sleep easier.

First Team Breakthrough biggie1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: biggie1875
    Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    WW2 was the last war I would have supported.

N Ireland, Falklands, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan - All Brit Imperialist or Oil-related/Yankee ass-licking embarassments

WW2 vets parading - OK

British Army parading? - Not in my name!

100%

First Team Breakthrough
    Geez I can't believe what I'm reading from some people on this board. Do some people scour the internet day after day to find something to get annoyed at!? Do some people love watching players warm up at half time so much that their attention should not be anywhere else?

Nothing is being forced upon any supporter. Go and buy a pie at half time, read the programme, bring a newspaper or talk to your friends about what you think will happen in the XFactor. Surely people are mixing up being annoyed and being offended? Everybody has the right to complain when they believe remarks, parades or articles are offensive but everybody seems to agree that it is important to show respect to the servicemen of this country regardless of whether you agree with a war or not (that is a topic that would deserve its' own thread). I just don't understand why someone would feel annoyed about this sort of thing when it is so easy to avoid that annoyance and if you are offended by it then that's also a totally different debate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    I for one will be at Tynecastle on Saturday, standing silent in rememerance. I hope my fellow Hibees show the same dignity and class for the brave working class men who died in service of their country.
    Yeah, the middle class were only in it for the burds.

Left by mutual consent!
    Let it be known if you are in Block J row 17 upper tier and you make noise through the minute silence I will beat who ever it is.

Let this be a warning
    Bet you wilnae

Sorry, everything YOU believe in is right. I hope you sleep easier.
    Doesn't answer the question?

And by the way -(I'm serious) - who is/was John Bogle?

Blog Entries
    Doesn't answer the question?

And by the way -(I'm serious) - who is/was John Bogle?
    Scottish song writer who wrote the anti war song And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda. He takes the voice of an Aussie veteran who, having lost his legs at Gallipoli, questions what and who the remembrance parade is for. I get the impression he thinks it is all phoney bull****.

The song has been covered by Christie Moore and others.

Scottish song writer who wrote the anti war song And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda. He takes the voice of an Aussie veteran who, having lost his legs at Gallipoli, questions what who the remembrance parade is for.

The song has been covered by Christie Moore and others.
    Was that not Eric Bogle? (my brother happens to know him)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    WW2 was the last war I would have supported.

N Ireland, Falklands, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan - All Brit Imperialist or Oil-related/Yankee ass-licking embarassments

WW2 vets parading - OK

British Army parading? - Not in my name!
    Self righteousness if ave ever heard it. The lads do their jobs n get bashed for it. I'd lime to see the people who give them a hard time try the job for a week n see if that changes your mind any!!

@hibs.net private member
    yeah but you always get some people who have one to many who come in singing. Get there early doors find your seat have a sing song be quiet for a minute then BOUNCE BOUNCEY
    No - NOT always - there was a minutes silence for rememberance day last season which was impecably observed at ER where Hibs were at home to Inverness - just as it was in grounds all over the country.