hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Hogg

Left by mutual consent!
    He was far from impressive at any point yesterday..

The incident in the 2nd half when he had all the time in the world and 2 previous attempts to header it back, unchallenged to Stack but chose to have a wild left footed mis-hit sclaff at it says it all..

Continually putting others under pressure with terrible passes but as long as as he got rid of it that does for him!

As others have said I can't see what he brings, in a footballing sense, to the team..

Unless Yogi is a fan of his 40-50 yard lumps up the park surrendering possesion regularly..

I think young Hanlon, after his recent MOTM performance for the Scotland laddies in his favoured position of LCH deserves a run in the middle with big Sol..

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I think describing Hoggs performance as 'mince' is crazy.

Anyone who agrees probably predicted Hibs winning 4,5,6 - 0 yesterday.

Hogg played well, had a couple of shaky moments in front of the east with high balls, but far from mince IMO.

I am happy with him playing for us - Im not convinced we can get much better. People will say Darren Barr will replace him (an he may well do) but if he was really that great the OF, Prem or Champ clubs would have been in there long ago.

We really need to get some perspective - we are in a position similar to Collins first season in charge after 8-10 games or so, but I believe there are far few sticking plasters being applied this time.

Lets support Hogg and ensure we watch a a confidence filled player as this is the best way to ensure this team fulfills its potential, whatever that may be.

J

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think describing Hoggs performance as 'mince' is crazy.

Anyone who agrees probably predicted Hibs winning 4,5,6 - 0 yesterday.

Hogg played well, had a couple of shaky moments in front of the east with high balls, but far from mince IMO.

I am happy with him playing for us - Im not convinced we can get much better. People will say Darren Barr will replace him (an he may well do) but if he was really that great the OF, Prem or Champ clubs would have been in there long ago.
    We really need to get some perspective - we are in a position similar to Collins first season in charge after 8-10 games or so, but I believe there are far few sticking plasters being applied this time.

Lets support Hogg and ensure we watch a a confidence filled player as this is the best way to ensure this team fulfills its potential, whatever that may be.

J
    The same thing could be said about Hogg, Which OF Premiership or championship clubs are chasing Hogg?

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    The same thing could be said about Hogg, Which OF Premiership or championship clubs are chasing Hogg?
    Who knows? There might be loads of them. There's a lot of invisible work taking place in football, remember, both on and off the pitch.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aljo7-0 View Post
    Who knows? There might be loads of them. There's a lot of invisible work taking place in football, remember, both on and off the pitch.
    All these teams are keeping it quiet, nobody wants to be gazumped.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Whenever he gets the ball, he slows the game down. He's never alert enough, he gets bullied off the ball by weaker looking players, and dont start me on that ****in crossfield ball that never seems to reach its intended target, if there is an intended target?

Darren Barr is hopefully coming in january, please let it be to replace Hogg.
    Couldn`t agree anymore, he`s another version of Caldwell a player who thinks he is better than he actually is, nobody wants to see a player fail at the club they support but my patience with trying to be more objective about his game was stretched to the limit particularly in the second half when he managed to turn non-dangerous situations into opportunities for the opposition, he is not only physically slow he lacks speed of thought, ally this to poor postional sense and lack of awareness and you have a guy that is going to cost us and hopefully it won`t be next week against Rangers.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875-Sean-1875 View Post
    Complete mince the day.
    I heard a few people around me in the East expressing that opinion and had to conclude that they all must have had their eyes shut when Hogg was attending to his core duties of covering, marking and intercepting the ball.

Fair enough his distribution was poor at times yesterday but to write off his whole performance as mince shows a lack of understanding IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Although it looks like Darren Barr will be at the club in the near/reasonably near future, I'd settle for anyone coming in to replace him.

people post that it's becoming fashionable, etc to slate him on here and they are right...... but there is a reason for that. he's very frustrating.

One of the main reason he doesn't make too many bad passes is that rather than attempt to complete an expected pass into a midfielder's feet, he either turns and negatively strokes it backwards or in a fit of blind panic goes for the 'get out' ball of a 50 yard+ crossfield pass.

Bamba, Jones, Murray and numerous others have all given away possession by carrying it on a run into the other teams half but such passages of play are part of the game, the secret to having a successful team is the way the others cover for a man when he goes off on his run.

To simply state his performance was anything other than average because the team recorded a clean sheet is crazy and certainly not the waythe management will view things. Stack also had a clean sheet - saved the one official shot that was on target but I doubt Capello will be on the phone.......

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I heard a few people around me in the East expressing that opinion and had to conclude that they all must have had their eyes shut when Hogg was attending to his core duties of covering, marking and intercepting the ball.

Fair enough his distribution was poor at times yesterday but to write off his whole performance as mince shows a lack of understanding IMO.
    I was probably one of them then

Left by mutual consent!
    I wouldn't have necessarily said he was complete mince as he's been far worse, however I'm intrigued now....what's your opinion on his lack of confidence/ability in carrying the ball forward into space, therefore slowing our play down (without surrendering possession) ?

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    and ill admit now that maybe i was abit OTT at calling him complete mince, a poor day at the office would probably have been better suited

FWIW I thought Hogg had an ok first 1/2 but thought his distribution in the 2nd 1/2 was very poor. Had some real sclaffs at the ball , as has already been mentioned , and seemed to panic when under no real pressure. However players form comes and go and he wasnt the only one yesterday whose performance didnt reach usual standards.

Im more concerned with the captaincy issue. Imho Hogg is no boss (Dukes of Hazzard smiley)

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar

The hugely frustrating thing about Hogg yesterday was he made some great defensive tackles but his distrubution & decisions under no real pressure is shocking. His lack of composure at times lets him down & disrupts the flow of play.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875-Sean-1875 View Post
    whats that got to do with anything?
    eeeerrrrr...in an ironic way I was trying to say .......GROW UP...GROW A SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE.................and eeerrr....GROW UP (again)

17 years old and slagging our Captain,**** I WISH I HAD YOUR NOUS AT 17.................

What I'm trying to say,is that you nooooo nooooooothing

oh ! to you too

edit...just read your last post,maybe they have dropped,and you'll stop acting like a tantrum afflicted 2 yr old
    Last edited by jabis; 18-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Our last captain was a "Giraffe on ice-skates", "A Liability", "Hoofball merchant" and "The reason for Maka lacking confidence"

Robs away so let's have a pop at his replacement!

Only at Hibs

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    I wouldn't have necessarily said he was complete mince as he's been far worse, however I'm intrigued now....what's your opinion on his lack of confidence/ability in carrying the ball forward into space, therefore slowing our play down (without surrendering possession) ?
    I think that going forward Hogg is quite limited and his career goals tally speaks volumes in that respect. His strength lies in his consistency in dependably and safely doing his job at the back. OK he hasn't had the strongest start to the season but remember he was getting voted Hibs' player of the year not long ago precisely because of that consistency.
    I don't think his strength will ever be in carrying the ball forward - maybe a chink in his armour as you say - but as long as he knows his own weaknesses and does his job effectively at the back I think he should be cut some slack. I and everyone else would love it if we had a Beckenbaur type in the side marauding forward from the back, but in reality we know such talents don't grow on trees.
    From the squad we have at the moment I think that Hogg will deservedly be in the starting eleven most weeks, so while that's the case I don't see the point of slagging him because of some "if yer auntie had baws she'd be yer uncle" scenario.

Testimonial Due
    I would say on here its par for the course .....Hogg is not the first to get it.

- Mcbride
    - Benji
    - nish only to name a few......

I also think Hogg was fine first half and in the second he tried a couple of things which for whatever reason din not work and all of a sudden he is mince again. I am not a huge fan but given the number of games played for Hibs, if its just a bit of form loss he should come good again.

I would like to see someone in his role who is better on the ball and would assume Hanlon will fill his shoes sometime in the future or Moyes.