hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lEXO View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would it not have been more sensible to tell them he,s pulling out for personal reasons rather than an elaborate lie.I,m sorry but i would,nt make up the death of my grandparents to cover anything up.He handled it poorly regardless of the circumstances.
    As I said, he didn't make up the lie, his girlfriend did. All Ireland was guilty of was backing up his girlfriend because he cared about her and was respecting her wishes. He put his girlfriend before his country's football team - an entirely sensible decision in my opinion.

The entire situation of not wanting to play for Ireland again could have been handled better but I'd imagine that very few people actually know what was behind it and what actually happened.

The guy's being judged harshly because he's highly paid and possibly not the most intelligent man on the planet when it comes to press interviews.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I can't really understand it either, but I suppose it's stupid to think that all footballers feel the same about playing in internationals.

Regardless of Ireland's honesty/integrity, I do think he is right about more and more players retiring from internationals in the coming years.

@hibs.net private member
    Oh the irony! Spoilt wee sheight of an EPL footballer who tells pathetic lies to skive off from representing his own country accuses his manager of arrogance?!?
    How he has the brass neck to accuse ANYBODY of arrogance when he obviously puts his own selfish needs way above those of his country is beyond me. The guy obviously doesn't know he's born and I have nothing but contempt for him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    As I said, he didn't make up the lie, his girlfriend did. All Ireland was guilty of was backing up his girlfriend because he cared about her and was respecting her wishes. He put his girlfriend before his country's football team - an entirely sensible decision in my opinion.

The entire situation of not wanting to play for Ireland again could have been handled better but I'd imagine that very few people actually know what was behind it and what actually happened.

The guy's being judged harshly because he's highly paid and possibly not the most intelligent man on the planet when it comes to press interviews.
    But I read that he was supposed to have lied about grannies dying TWICE - so what happened the other time then that we should all be feeling sorry for the poor wee diddums???

Quote Originally Posted by andyhibsboy View Post
    aye but im pretty sure if you say you want to pull out for personal reasons then the FA of whatever country that you play for are going to want to know the reason - otherwise you would find every tom dick and harry using the same excuse. when you read about a player being out the national team due to 'personal reasons' you can be sure that the FA knows, but cant tell the media because of privacy etc.

therefore, when he was questioned about it he lied - right enough it was a ****in awful lie, a lie most people couldnt bring themselves to conjure up - but he was trying to protect his girlfriend....

i think he is spot on about the general lack of enthusiasm about players wanting to play for their country now - however do you think that if we had a genuinely good squad who had a chance at the WC, there would be a lack of enthusiasm?
    i have a theory that clubs, Scottish clubs in particular, put pressure on their players to pull out of the national squad/hold off on surgery until internationals so that they miss less games for the club or aggravate previous injuries.... especially now we havent qualified for the WC
    Did he seriously think that the press would,nt find out that his grannies were still alive? Sorry but using that as an excuse is pretty sick,wether it was him or his girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    you obviously are unaware of the story.

..and the spewing smiley was a jest at your phrase not meant to be taken as meaning you are a Yam or something like that, so apologies if it cam e over like that, but as for giving me the asshole smiley.....

Aye that,s how i took your jamboak smiley.If it was in jest i apologise for the asshole smiley.Now enough of the love in and lets get back to talking *****.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    But I read that he was supposed to have lied about grannies dying TWICE - so what happened the other time then that we should all be feeling sorry for the poor wee diddums???
    So you're slating the guy without actually knowing the story?

The original lie was discovered by the FAI so, in an attempt to continue protecting his girlfriend, he claimed it was the other grandmother. It was all part of the same situation.

Again, considering that his girlfriend has just lost her and Ireland's child, I think a wee bit understanding might be in order.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    So you're slating the guy without actually knowing the story?

The original lie was discovered by the FAI so, in an attempt to continue protecting his girlfriend, he claimed it was the other grandmother. It was all part of the same situation.

Again, considering that his girlfriend has just lost her and Ireland's child, I think a wee bit understanding might be in order.
    But are you sure you know the whole story? Because its generally believed that the bit in bold was actually a third lie, but one that couldn't be proven to be a lie, unlike the other two...

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    what, like Davie Weir, Beckham or the best Ronaldo?
    Beckham? Im pretty sure David Beckham has never quit international football, he gave up the captaincy and was then dropped immediately by steve mclaren but IIRC he never gave up on the national team.

As for Ireland, he has made his bed. I disagree with his view because I would give anything to be a professional player let alone one good enough to represent my country but he has decided he doesnt want to play so what he should do is keep quiet and play for City...

A pity Steven Ireland seems a such lying, socially inadequate nutjob with zero credibility, because he's expressed a view that a lot of people share.

I personally find the 90 minute patriots who think the main (or even sole expression) of your love for your country should be a desire to kick a football around a park for their national side, both misguided and tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    A pity Steven Ireland seems a such lying, socially inadequate nutjob with zero credibility, because he's expressed a view that a lot of people share.

I personally find the 90 minute patriots who think the main (or even sole expression) of your love for your country should be a desire to kick a football around a park for their national side, both misguided and tedious.
    It,s not his view on playing for his country that lacks credibility.Thats his choice and good on him if he expressess it.It,s lying about the death of 2 grandparents that are still alive.That was misguided and utterly stupid, whatever the reasons behind it.Does he expect anyone to beleive him or take his words seriously after that?

bit harsh bob.

I know you have your views on the international scene and that is fine however pulling on the shirt for your country is IMHO the highest point of a players career. If I was good enough to play football professionally I would find international football as the benchmark, I could play and win everything club wise but being regarded as a regular for my country would be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    But are you sure you know the whole story? Because its generally believed that the bit in bold was actually a third lie, but one that couldn't be proven to be a lie, unlike the other two...
    Either way, he's being judged because some punters have decided he's lying again.

I believe myself to be the reincarnation of Oscar Wilde, Attilla The Hun and Benjamin Franklin. I just can't prove it.

@hibs.net private member
    Either way, he's being judged because some punters have decided he's lying again.

I believe myself to be the reincarnation of Oscar Wilde, Attilla The Hun and Benjamin Franklin. I just can't prove it.
    Dunno about that - I'm judging him on his precious attitude and comments - also his incredible ignorance and stupidity in accusing his manager of arrogance when he's obviously about the best example you could dream up of a spoilt overprivaledged prick.

I,m judging him on his previous lies, the interview he gave and the impression i got of him.My views, not anyone elses.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    pulling on the shirt for your country is IMHO the highest point of a players career. If I was good enough to play football professionally I would find international football as the benchmark, I could play and win everything club wise but being regarded as a regular for my country would be the best.

as you say....you're not a professional football player though are you?

Sadly, that was always my perception as a lad growing up and following Scotland home and away.....the world loved us and we loved to show them our commitment and endeaviour to attack, now we are simply ****.

I think Steven Ireland may well be my current favourite non-hibs player.

Gloriously mental.

Hope we are a bit more sympathetic to Deek when he tells Burley to shove it.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post

Im Not sure what you mean by this post, i just had a look and think thats a really classy purchase.