hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Please let's not indulge in the Yamtastic habit of deigning player to be "pish" or "over-rated" just because they have left the club.

Jones was a great player for the club, a cup-winning captain, and a player that all other SPL teams would have loved to have had in their squad, especially when the going got tough in big games.

He's not fully fit and settling into a new club, a club whose 1st team squad is so hilariously out-of-sync with the quality of the vast majority of that Division that relegation looks to be a sure-fire certaintity.

He has NOT just become a gangly limbed figure of comedy overnight.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 06-09-2009 at 09:28 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If Jones had been Turnbull's centre half we would have won the league.I lost count of how many goal we lost as Jim Black misheaded to Dixie Deans-it used to be like video replays.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Jones had been Turnbull's centre half we would have won the league.I lost count of how many goal we lost as Jim Black misheaded to Dixie Deans-it used to be like video replays.
    Jim Black much better IMHO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    , he was honest enough to say that...unlike some players

I think the gulf of the SPL & the Championship is getting wider & anyone to suggest any different clearly doesn't watch alot of football down south. Dare i suggest that some SPL clubs would struggle against quite a few of the teams in league one. I watched the highlights of the MK Dons V Huddersfield & the quality of football on display would def put some of the SPL clubs to shame

occasionally see Coventry play at the Ricoh,and to be honest....it's guff !

Doesn't matter who they play,the football is guff !

they're all trying to get out that league....and it's (all together now)....GUFF

so rob, since you have left the mighty hibees, that team you won something with...

remember that, wining something, well it will never happen again big chap...

you seem to have lost your way..

we have no sympathy for you, loved you while you were here but seeing as you left then you can get tae,,,,,,,

lol xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Please let's not indulge in the Yamtastic habit of deigning player to be "pis" or "over-rated" just because they have left the club.

Jones was a great player for the club, a cup-winning captain, and a player that all other SPL teams would have loved to have had in their squad, especially when the going got tough in big games.

He's not fully fit and settling into a new club, a club whose 1st team squad is so hilariously out-of-sync with the quality of the vast majority of that Division that relegation looks to be a sure-fire certaintity.

I think you make fair points LH.

I remember when Jones' agent came out in the press slagging Hibs off over the 'improved' contract offer. IIRC we were flying under Collins and although there were doubts about how sustainable that was, there certainly was a sense of 'GTF Jones' from me. His ability to win headers and his willingness to throw himself over all areas of the pitch was admirable, but it shouldn't detract from his utter inability to distribute the ball in any way effectively TBH.

He was a consistent part of a Hibs defence that punched above his weight though. How much that was down to him, or to Maka and Hogg (both with their own flaws, clearly) or just due to the general paucity of the SPL is a debatable point.

He was always a player I thought we could improve upon. I recognise he (and Hogg) have been our best CBs in a long time. It's worryingly noticeable that in my lifetime supporting Hibs, we've had a number of good midfields and a few good attacks but little in the way of decent defences - McLeish's system and the Hogg-Jones partnership being the only consistent examples.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Jones is clearly missing the steadying influence of Hogg beside him. No doubt a year from now when Scunthorpe have dumped him we will be reading post after post telling us to sign him again.

Please let's not indulge in the Yamtastic habit of deigning player to be "pish" or "over-rated" just because they have left the club.

Totally agree with that. It seems every few weeks there is a thread slagging off one of the players who lifted the cup at Hampden. I really don't understand it. There are other guys who played for Hibs won nothing and in fact let the club, their team mates and the supporters down. If people want to slag someone off (which is fairly pointless anyway if they are long gone) why not focus on them?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Jones was good for hibs, he was a good centre half & certainly one of the best i have seen at Easter rd ...of course he wasnt the best with the ball at his feet but how many centre halfs in the SPL were ..?

Considering the standard of football Rob came from & being a late starter in professional football then i think he done well at hibs & on the showing of our centre halfs v celtic i think we badly missed his presence...

Im no gonna knock the big man..i liked him & i hope he recovers from his shaky start at scunny..
    Can't believe the amount of drivel that gets posted on here about Big Rob, he gave his all for us, captained a cup winning team and left to go down South for family reasons. He never claimed to be better than he was, a good honest pro who came into the game late and deserved the success he enjoyed at Hibs. He was a successful Hibs captain FFS.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    There are other guys who played for Hibs won nothing and in fact let the club, their team mates and the supporters down. If people want to slag someone off (which is fairly pointless anyway if they are long gone) why not focus on them?
    Oh aye, that'd be good, some threads slagging off Kerr, Gatheussi, Donaldson, Curier, Zarabi, Morais, etc. Novel or what.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Oh aye, that'd be good, some threads slagging off Kerr, Gatheussi, Donaldson, Curier, Zarabi, Morais, etc. Novel or what.
    Yeah lapsedhibee as I said it is a pretty pointless exercise. However some players have deserved criticism for letting Hibs down (Latapy springs to mind - much as I loved to watch him play) others with less ability but more commitment to the team don't deserve it IMHO.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    The Championship is vastly overrated on this messageboard. As I've stated before, I saw a few games at the Stadium of Light when living in Co. Durham and the quality was no better than the SPL.

Boozy - played most games for Coventry last season, Coleman didn't take up the option of a second year.

Shiels - bit player for Hibs, bit player for Doncaster. Some great moments but never really established himself at ER.

Sproule - I loved Ivan but stats at Hibs show he played roughly as many games as a sub as he started at ER.

Jones - best CH we've had post Turnbull's Tornadoes in my opinion. Hardly had a chance yet at a club who were the bookies favourites for relegation from the Championship.

Hope he doesn't like it and comes home to ER if we lose Bamba at the end of the season. Unlikely but I live in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    The Championship is vastly overrated on this messageboard.
    Absolutely. Hibs would be competitive in the Championship, probably midtable obscurity, sort of Sheff Wednesday level. Its very much in the Scottish psyche to put ourselves down every five minutes and say our league is substandard, but its not.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Absolutely. Hibs would be competitive in the Championship, probably midtable obscurity, sort of Sheff Wednesday level. Its very much in the Scottish psyche to put ourselves down every five minutes and say our league is substandard, but its not.
    I have also watched quite a bit of the championship, mostly Blackpool games. We would do fine in the championship.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    He won't last long there

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Could be another reason for Jones' loss of form...

Just watching Moby on MTV, and my son's asked "Why's Rob Jones doing that?"

Is Moby really Rob Jones, standing far away?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net