hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 9-1 game wasn't in 1974. My girlfriend was there with me, didn't meet her till New Year's Day 1976.
    Must have been a different girl

See here

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    LHWM has put me right. Vitoria Guimaraes was my first game i thought it was the Liverpool one. Nobody has mentioned this game against Gornick Zagreb have i just imagined it. Sure it was a mid season friendly of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    LHWM has put me right. Vitoria Guimaraes was my first game i thought it was the Liverpool one. Nobody has mentioned this game against Gornick Zagreb have i just imagined it. Sure it was a mid season friendly of some sort.

1969-12-08 Mon Hibs 1 Gornik Zabrze 2 Friendly H

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LHWM View Post
    1969-12-08 Mon Hibs 1 Gornik Zabrze 2 Friendly H
    Knew there was a Z in it somewhere, cheers mate

Knew there was a Z in it somewhere, cheers mate
    Gornik is Polish for Miner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B3rnik_Zabrze

The game came just a couple of weeks or so after Gornick had put Rangers out of the Cup Winners Cup, having won both legs 3-1, they went on to put out Roma in the semi's but got beat by the great Man City team of that day in the final.

Gornick had the great Włodzimierz Lubanski playing for them & he was magical against both Rangers and Hibs. He destroyed England during the famous Poland 2-0 world cup qualifier where later in the game, a Roy McFarland tackle damaged his cruciate ligament and put him out of football for two years, he was never the same player after that. In the last group game, Poland, without Lubanski, went on to put England out of the 1974 finals, after the 0-0 Wembley draw when Brian Clough famously described the Polish keeper a clown.

PS. During the game at ER, Hibs gave a far better account of themselves than Rangers had in the two legs they played, but Gornick simply oozed class.
    Last edited by Ray_; 05-09-2009 at 09:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs Dnipro.

Midweek game quite a boring 0-0 draw.
    In any film with Italian American characters, one of them must be called Vinny -Roger Ebert

Quote Originally Posted by deek View Post
    Hibs V Liverpool UEFA cup 75/76 Joe Harper penalty we won 1-0 at home lost 3-1 at Anfield. Liverpool won the cup that year.
    IIRC Joe scored with a tap in at the north end and John Brownlie missed the penalty at the dunbar end and it was a bit damp that evening

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    IIRC Joe scored with a tap in at the north end and John Brownlie missed the penalty at the dunbar end and it was a bit damp that evening
    You do recall better than me but then I was only a wee laddie then and all I can remember from my own mind is a penalty. But as the article says here after some research by my good self, Harper cracked it in. A home win but not quite enough.

http://sport.scotsman.com/spl/Classi...ool.4536969.jp

Quote Originally Posted by da-robster View Post
    Hibs Dnipro.

Midweek game quite a boring 0-0 draw.
    unusual for a european tie?

FC Liege at ER. Houchen missed a penalty. At least I think that was my first European game - alcohol plus various other substances (allegedly) have rendered my memory unreliable!

And by the way - there was far more than 18000 in Easter Road that night we played Standard Liege, my memory may be poor but I remember being shoulder to shoulder in he East terrace and the the Dunbar end looked just as packed. Well over 20,000 there that night, probably closer to 25,000.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Hibs v Porto at Easter Road.

I wish I had kept a diary because I can't remember half the games I attended.
    I think that was my first one. Did we win 3-0?

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Must have been a different girl

See here
    That's weird. We are both convinced (married now) that we were at that game but I met her on New Year's day 1976, just after we beat your lot 3-0.

Must be getting senile...
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    That's weird. We are both convinced (married now) that we were at that game but I met her on New Year's day 1976, just after we beat your lot 3-0.

Must be getting senile...
    Its funny how time plays trick with your memory.

We were supposedly 'up for it'. It was a miserable cold, wet and windy afternoon. Absolutely miserable soaked to the skin. Hibs got 3 goals in quick succesion around the 20 minute mark. Game over. On the bus back to Musselburgh by half time.

Its funny how time plays trick with your memory.

We were supposedly 'up for it'. It was a miserable cold, wet and windy afternoon. Absolutely miserable soaked to the skin. Hibs got 3 goals in quick succesion around the 20 minute mark. Game over. On the bus back to Musselburgh by half time.
    My late dad was a hearts fan, he took me to ER in the mid sixties for what I think was a new year derby, hibs led 2-0 at HT & under protest, he led me from the ground as the HT whistle blew.

We went to my grandparents [his side], who lived at Hutchison & he promptly fell asleep on the armchair. I was too young to be that worried about the result, so I took great delight to wake him as the scores came through on the telly & hearts had won 3-2.

I got a neighbour, who was a steward at ER to take me to games after that & he supported the proper team.

My first was 3-0 v. Porto 1967 went on to see all european games that season v. Napoli and Leeds too.