hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was continually in acres of space but Ant and Deek wouldn't let him play

We played most of the game down the left and he was left out of it a bit. After about 30 minutes he got bored.
    I see a new Hibs.net Shop t-shirt being launched!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quite a few disappointments last night.

Hogg-poor form continues-a decent striker would have scored twice in the first half.

Wotherspoon and Hanlon in the first half (Hanlon particularly)given loads of ball in space and made poor use of it-seldom finding a man in the box-and Hanlon still hasn't learned how dangerous it is to try and take the ball around an opponent in our third of the pitch.

Stokes-could he be the new Gerry Baker-he used to miss them from everywhere-4 sitters last night-good job it was himand not Nish.

Team set up will never do against Celtic-three similar players in central midfield will get steam rollered.I would have liked to see McCormack tried at centre half with a view to Bamba moving forward.

Is there another Scottish player who could score the goal Riordan scored-no wonder he doesn't get a mention for Scotland-far too talented.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Is there another Scottish player who could score the goal Riordan scored-no wonder he doesn't get a mention for Scotland-far too talented.
    Although McFadden probably could.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Although McFadden probably could.
    He couldn't get a start last time either.

Hogg-poor form continues-a decent striker would have scored twice in the first half.

Wotherspoon and Hanlon in the first half (Hanlon particularly)given loads of ball in space and made poor use of it-seldom finding a man in the box-and Hanlon still hasn't learned how dangerous it is to try and take the ball around an opponent in our third of the pitch.

Stokes-could he be the new Gerry Baker-he used to miss them from everywhere-4 sitters last night-good job it was himand not Nish.

Team set up will never do against Celtic-three similar players in central midfield will get steam rollered.I would have liked to see McCormack tried at centre half with a view to Bamba moving forward.

I think ancient one, that you are suffering from too long a Hibbyitis same as me.

We have made a really good start to the season, but watching the team as its playing at the moment you cant help but get the feeling that it might all go terribly wrong on Sunday, probably not helped by the teams we have played up to now who were bottom 6 last season or 2nd division.

If selected, will Maka be good or bad ?

Can we cope at the back against top class wingers ?

Will our midfield be over run as it was in the first half at Falkirk ?

Can Ant and Deeks and Nishy score enough goals to nullify any Smeltic might get ?

I think to a lot of us and maybee even Yogi, Sunday is going to be the acid test of just how far we still need to go to become what we want to be.

Having said all that I think we have what it takes to win if everything goes to plan and we have a wee bit of luck. For instance, it would be good to score first.

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    I think ancient one, that you are suffering from too long a Hibbyitis same as me.

We have made a really good start to the season, but watching the team as its playing at the moment you cant help but get the feeling that it might all go terribly wrong on Sunday, probably not helped by the teams we have played up to now who were bottom 6 last season or 2nd division.

If selected, will Maka be good or bad ?

Can we cope at the back against top class wingers ?

Will our midfield be over run as it was in the first half at Falkirk ?

Can Ant and Deeks and Nishy score enough goals to nullify any Smeltic might get ?

I think to a lot of us and maybee even Yogi, Sunday is going to be the acid test of just how far we still need to go to become what we want to be.

Having said all that I think we have what it takes to win if everything goes to plan and we have a wee bit of luck. For instance, it would be good to score first.
    It's true that long term supporting Hibs and rays of sunshine do not always go together.At least if we go down(and we have been lucky with the fixture list-unlike our neighbours)on Sunday it will be in an entertaining fashion.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The only thing that concerned me any about last night was that we had 25, seemed like 125, shots on goal and only 3 goals to show for it. That isn’t a very good conversion rate. We’re unlikely to get many attempts in any other games this season and really must do better.
    That bothered me too!

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am sorry but I cant agree with your assessment of Hanlon & Wotherspoon's delivery into the box, I actually thought Wotherspoon's delivery was far better than Whittaker's and with a bit of work Hanlon,who lets not forget is a Centre Half could become a footballer capable of comparison with anyone I have seen playing Left Back for Hibs with the possible exception of David Murphy.

Agree re line up for Sunday would need to be 442

Coaching Staff
    Wotherspoon's delivery certainly second half was top notch and given he is an U-19 player thrust into the first team at a position he is not used to, I think he was superb (albeit Brechin were not much of a test). Hanlon for me seems very tentative going forward yet when he does he is effective. He seemed to be drawn out of position a wee bit first half and was drawn towards the centre of defence a couple of times leaving the flank exposed. But all in all he wanted the ball, never hid, and scored a beautiful goal. Quite harsh to come down heavy on these two youngsters so early in their careers in my opinion. The only way the learn as well is to play against the likes of McGeady, Maloney, Driver and Naismith etc. They will be fine

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Wotherspoon's delivery certainly second half was top notch and given he is an U-19 player thrust into the first team at a position he is not used to, I think he was superb (albeit Brechin were not much of a test). Hanlon for me seems very tentative going forward yet when he does he is effective. He seemed to be drawn out of position a wee bit first half and was drawn towards the centre of defence a couple of times leaving the flank exposed. But all in all he wanted the ball, never hid, and scored a beautiful goal. Quite harsh to come down heavy on these two youngsters so early in their careers in my opinion. The only way the learn as well is to play against the likes of McGeady, Maloney, Driver and Naismith etc. They will be fine
    What????????

This is don't ya know!

It's the way things get done here!

For the record I thought that Wotherspoon (again!) looked like a superb player in the making and it won't be long before he's a first team regular IMO!

Hanlon is also a great prospect but perhaps a bit more deliberate or ponderous at the moment than Wotherspoon!

Great goal though and with his right foot too!
    Last edited by TornadoHibby; 27-08-2009 at 03:50 PM.

[QUOTE=ancient hibee;2149014]

Team set up will never do against Celtic-three similar players in central midfield will get steam rollered. /QUOTE]

I Joked with my son that I thought he had Gary Birtles shirt on last night . Nothing went right in the finishing for him. But you can see from his touches and the link up play that goals will come and lots of them he is a class player.

If Yogi plays 4-3-3 I will be amazed. 4-4-2 or even an attacking 4-5-1 with Riordan and Galbraith/Wotherspoon on the wings with the 3 last night in centre mid and Stokes up front.

BTW did anyone else notice Deek, although playing well was getting caught offside loads last night ala Nish?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    He missed less chances than Stokes last night.

I agree with you on Hogg though. Your team is only as strong as the weakest link - unfortunately our weakest links are our captain and our keeper.
    Did not think Stack was that bad last night

What the hell, i thought Hogg was motm and our best player by far, i must have been at a different game. I thought he was excellant

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Agree. we have to remember he is only 19 years old and still settling into first team football. Last night was fustrating in that we should have hit at least another 5 goals. But we created the chances and the boys were very professional. As for benji I felt he was a bit lost being asked to play on the right of the attack and did not know where he was to be. He was unlucky not to score and had some decent touches but it will take time with him.

Stack 7
    Wotherspoon 7
    Hanlon 7
    Hogg 5
    Murray 7
    Rankin 7
    Cregg 8
    Mcbride 7
    Benji 6
    Riordan 7
    Stokes 7

Byrne 4
    nish 2
    Stevenson 5

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Don't think you can really judge Stack on last night, he didn't really have a great amount to do.

Hogg was awful last night, he just seemed to be all over the place.

Murray started off sluggish, I even txt my Grandad saying Murray looked off the pace and then Murray improved by a long shot

Rankin was my MOM last night, he was brilliant, one shot he had in the first half was brilliant, he put such a curve on it.

Deek and Stokes already look to have a great partnership.

The most disappointing thing last night was the fans, just around where I sit I heard Wotherspoon, Hogg, Hanlon, Rankin, Cregg, Stevenson, Deek and Nish all getting abuse.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Don't think you can really judge Stack on last night, he didn't really have a great amount to do.

Murray started off sluggish, I even txt my Grandad saying Murray looked off the pace and then Murray improved by a long shot

Rankin was my MOM last night, he was brilliant, one shot he had in the first half was brilliant, he put such a curve on it.

The most disappointing thing last night was the fans, just around where I sit I heard Wotherspoon, Hogg, Hanlon, Rankin, Cregg, Stevenson, Deek and Nish all getting abuse.
    I though Rankin was MOM also. The game had just kicked off and some guy shouted F*** Off Rankin you F****** useless B******

Quote Originally Posted by maiden666 View Post
    I though Rankin was MOM also. The game had just kicked off and some guy shouted F*** Off Rankin you F****** useless B******

Was it in the Famous Five as the guy a few on my right and the guy a few in front moans at everyone

Surely better to draw attention to failings at the beginning of a career otherwise you end up with someone like DVZ.The deliveries into the box improved as Brechin tired.Criticism should be constructive-for example full backs must try to get to the line and pull the ball back-lobs are a waste of time.Riordan was offside because delivery of the ball was too slow as Benji demonstrated when he in contrast put through a perfectly timed pass for Stokes.Being critical on here-which is just an opinion does not mean that you cannot give the player full support at the game.

Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post

The idiots that shout abuse at players at the first sign of a miss kick or a slight misshap are just a bunch off w------- ,If they had any idea of the game at all !!!!! do I need to go on