hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hughes moving on already... (Merged)

... or at least you'd think so from today's press event to roll out Stokes. Been here 2 minutes and the press are already stirring up talk of him moving on to bigger jobs down south. WTF ?

Wonder who we're playing at weekend ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... or at least you'd think so from today's press event to roll out Stokes. Been here 2 minutes and the press are already stirring up talk of him moving on to bigger jobs down south. WTF ?

Wonder who we're playing at weekend ?
    Wouldn't be one of the OF would it? No like the media to stir pash before these games.

Stokes Bigger Better Team

Watched BBC Scotland tonight. couldn't believe Stokes was already talking about he and Hughes going to a bigger and better club.

The guy has played one promising game (no goals) and already thinks he is too big for this club. His comments are totally disrespectful to our club and I still can't believe a new signing came out with them. I have met and saw Joe Baker play for our club, and he showed real respect for Hibs.

Come on Anthony at least pretend to be proud to be a Hibby for a while.

GGTTH

The guy has got a big head-that's why he couldn't cut it at Sunderland-thought he was better than he was-now got a second chance which he should take as long as he doesn't think he's the finished article-let's face it although rusty he should have put away at least one of his chances on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by franks View Post
    Watched BBC Scotland tonight. couldn't believe Stokes was already talking about he and Hughes going to a bigger and better club.

The guy has played one promising game (no goals) and already thinks he is too big for this club. His comments are totally disrespectful to our club and I still can't believe a new signing came out with them. I have met and saw Joe Baker play for our club, and he showed real respect for Hibs.

GGTTH
    All i heard him saying was that he imagined Yogi will go on to bigger and better things in the future, if Yogi does well here then he will, i don't see the problem with that.

IMO your being a bit over sensitive here.

GGTTH
    What exactly did he say?

Any chance it could it be the reporters with loaded questions on the subject, nothing wrong with ambition as long as he shows respect to Hibs.

We have enough Hibbys in the dressing room anyway who I am sure will let him know if he steps out of line after being in the door 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The guy has got a big head-that's why he couldn't cut it at Sunderland-thought he was better than he was-now got a second chance which he should take as long as he doesn't think he's the finished article-let's face it although rusty he should have put away at least one of his chances on Saturday.
    If he thought he was the finished article he wouldn't have taken a massive pay cut and dropped down quite a few levels in order to get back playing football again and working for a manager he learned most from.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    If he thought he was the finished article he wouldn't have taken a massive pay cut and dropped down quite a few levels in order to get back playing football again and working for a manager he learned most from.
    Who else was after him?

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Rather that than the patronising garbage of "Hibs wur the only team I ever wanted to play fur!" that you get out of other players.

Stokes came here to get his career back on track, and if Yogi does well, he may move up a level. Sounds fair to me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Did he say move to a bigger and better club? Or move onto a higher level etc?

No one likes to hear that players view clubs as a stepping stone but lets face it, it happens to almost every club on the planet with the exception of a select view. Perhaps he shouldn't have said it (whatever it was) but at least he shows ambition.

Boumsong to Rangers is a prime example and they're one of our top two teams in the country.

Bougerra or however you spell it would have been off had they not qualified automatically for the group stage. I know he had a chance to go to Bordeaux (IIRC) but I don't see that as a massive step up. If a top Italian, English or Spanish team came in for him he'd have been away.

I'm under no illusion that he'll only want to be here for one or two seasons but if he can help us up the league and into 3rd I'd be delighted.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

GGTTH
    Didn't see it but people talk about honesty as well maybe his just being honest. Naive, misguided and stupid but honest. I blame reality tv .
    But to put it in some perspective, Ulrik Laursen also mentioned that he saw Hibs as a stepping stone when he first came. I dont think it brought the place down. I can only imagine Mowbray re-signed/brought players in with chat "do well and you'll go places..."

What is perhaps different now is the gaffer is a Hibee so maybe Stokes will be getting a healthy clip around the ear...

What's better "I've unfinished business/I'll be here for as long as you want me" or the more honest response? Thats not to say that I like it mind
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 24-08-2009 at 08:18 PM.

SSN now

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Who else was after him?
    reports that crystal palace and other championship clubs were after him.

Amazes me that people would try so hard to find faults in what was quite clearly an innocent statement that he thinks his manager will move onto a higher level at some stage in the future.

Left by mutual consent!
    To me it was the typical west coast media asking loaded questions as if to say Hibs are not allowed to sign qaulity players!

Fair play to stokes he gave an honest answer and if he goes on and has two seasons where he nets 20 goals in each then he can go with my best wishes, but ill be making sure i go and see some of his goals whilst here and enjoy the good football while we can!

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Rather that than the patronising garbage of "Hibs wur the only team I ever wanted to play fur!" that you get out of other players.

Stokes came here to get his career back on track, and if Yogi does well, he may move up a level. Sounds fair to me.
    Name one player who has said that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Japhakayk
    To be honest, the Scottish media associate "New Hibs signing" with "stepping stone" and as a result every new recruit will be asked that question or something along those lines.

We're a distance away from players of Stokes' ability joining to achieve success. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before players aren't just coming for the "shop window". It's coming! I have faith!

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8219244.stm

If its this interview, then all he does is answer the questions asked. It is the stupid woman that mentions moving on, stepping stone, hughes going to the premiership - and Stokes tries to avoid any controversial answers in my opinion.

I suppose it beats the alternatives;

1 - The lie "I came here because it is the only team I've ever wanted to play for..."

2 - The shocking lack of ambition "I want to put myself in the shop window for Brechin"

3 - The cultural excuse - "The climate suits me"

4 - The Scottish cultural excuse "I prefer broon sauce to vinegar"

I repeat that old Leith proverb: better goalscoring striker thinking of next big move than nonscoring striker thinking of next big mac.

I hope Stokes is ambitious and wanted by a host of clubs - it'll mean he's doing the business.

In an era where even a club of the size of Man Utd is seen as a stepping stone, we shouldn't be shocked/discouraged by a player wanting to play at the highest level he can.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    reports that crystal palace and other championship clubs were after him.

Amazes me that people would try so hard to find faults in what was quite clearly an innocent statement that he thinks his manager will move onto a higher level at some stage in the future.
    "No I don't think he'll go any further. if anything, he'll probably get us relegated. I don't know why I came here. But if Man U come, I'll turn them down to stay at the Hibees"

There is nothing remotely disrespectful to Hibs in that clip; either he said something else or theres a lot of knickers getting unnecessarily twisted

Not trying to find faults just upset that a new signing should talk us down in this way. No lies just respect is all I ask.

I hope he scores barrow loads and I will cheer every one.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "I got somethin' for your mind, body and you soul!"

A Madchester Salute (ok they are from Liverpool...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlbu...rom=PL&index=2

Blog Entries
    Talk the talk if you like, Anthony, but, more importantly, you'll have to walk the walk if you and your pal Yogi are to move on to bigger things. Put your money where your mouth is, son. I'd have been more concerned if he had come out with the statement 10 months from now. He's set the target and the club will be the main benificiary of a successful team and manager. We'll worry about them leaving when they've done the business. Till then, lets enjoy them. GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    There is nothing remotely disrespectful to Hibs in that clip; either he said something else or theres a lot of knickers getting unnecessarily twisted

That reporter is a complete bint though. Slag.
    Last edited by Hibs90; 24-08-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Not trying to find faults just upset that a new signing should talk us down in this way. No lies just respect is all I ask.

I hope he scores barrow loads and I will cheer every one.
    He never said anything to talk us down

If anything he talked us up, he had the chance to join other clubs but wanted to come here because of our facilities and we've got what he believes is a great manager and when the bint interviewing him tried to get him to talk about leaving us already he replied that he has signed a 3 year contract with us and he intends to see it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    Name one player who has said that.
    Benji

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post

As long as he scores loads of goals and we make a healthy profit when we sell him, I don't mind if he talks about "higher levels" and so on.

We've all supported Hibs long enough to see that even Hibs "fans" can be two-faced moneygrabbers.

But I'd like to think there'll come a time where we can hold onto decent players rather than sell everybody who is even half-decent. We can't expect to hold onto players like Scott Brown, but we should be able to hold on to the likes of Beuzy, Sproule, Jones and so on for longer. Maybe once that stand is built and the debt is cleared....

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Asylum View Post
    Benji
    Linkage to quote?

And why do you care anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post

That reporter is a complete bint though. Slag.
    I hope you don't talk about your mother like that!