hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well done Maka

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But would they want him if they weren't only limited to picking Belgians?

It means they rate him more highly than all but one or two of the Belgian league keepers....

And the Belgian League (last time I looked) was a fair bit stronger than the SPL.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    It means they rate him more highly than all but one or two of the Belgian league keepers....

And the Belgian League (last time I looked) was a fair bit stronger than the SPL.
    Must have been before they released the latest rankings then. For both the national sides and club leagues.

Can you name another Belgian keeper?

Gamer IDs

Must have been before they released the latest rankings then. For both the national sides and club leagues.

Can you name another Belgian keeper?

Well, Stijnen, Proto and Renard all play in the Belgian League. Heerenveen have Vandenbussche and Borussia Monchengladbach have Bailly on their books, but of course you can look them all up for yourself on any decent football website.

I'm sure you also remember Michel Preud'homme from a few years back - pretty good keeper, IIRC.

The list of rankings you quote is pre-Euro 2008, and (quote) therefore very innaccurate (unquote) according to the site you've linked to.

However, perhaps it would be more telling to ask whether you'd give Hibernian (6th in the SPL) much chance of beating a similarly placed and sized Belgian side in a European tie? Club Brugge, Mechelen, Beerschot? Since we've had considerable trouble with teams from the Baltic and from Denmark in recent years, I'd doubt it.

The main point is, however, that Maka IS a goalkeeper who figures in his country's international planning (he'll be away this week for a friendly, in fact), so it's fairly clear to me that your suggestion that 'nobody else wants him' just isn't true.

@hibs.net private member
    Well, Stijnen, Proto and Renard all play in the Belgian League. Heerenveen have Vandenbussche and Borussia Monchengladbach have Bailly on their books, but of course you can look them all up for yourself on any decent football website.

I'm sure you also remember Michel Preud'homme from a few years back - pretty good keeper, IIRC.

The list of rankings you quote is pre-Euro 2008, and (quote) therefore very innaccurate (unquote) according to the site you've linked to.

However, perhaps it would be more telling to ask whether you'd give Hibernian (6th in the SPL) much chance of beating a similarly placed and sized Belgian side in a European tie? Club Brugge, Mechelen, Beerschot? Since we've had considerable trouble with teams from the Baltic and from Denmark in recent years, I'd doubt it.

The main point is, however, that Maka IS a goalkeeper who figures in his country's international planning (he'll be away this week for a friendly, in fact), so it's fairly clear to me that your suggestion that 'nobody else wants him' just isn't true.
    The club co-efficient table is accurate as at end of May this year. So based on the co-efficeint's I see no reason why we couldn't give Gent (the team that finished 6th last season) a decent game. then again I'd have expected Aberdeen to have given that Czech team a better game than they did last week. I'm a bit unclear as to how this is relevant to Maka being a good keeper though.

And as for the "noone wants him point" - has any club been linked with him? National sides can't really be counted as they rely on the nationality of the player - look at Scotland - in the past we've capped Scott Dobie but I'd have much preferred someone else.

Gamer IDs

The club co-efficient table is accurate as at end of May this year. So based on the co-efficeint's I see no reason why we couldn't give Gent (the team that finished 6th last season) a decent game. then again I'd have expected Aberdeen to have given that Czech team a better game than they did last week. I'm a bit unclear as to how this is relevant to Maka being a good keeper though.

And as for the "noone wants him point" - has any club been linked with him? National sides can't really be counted as they rely on the nationality of the player - look at Scotland - in the past we've capped Scott Dobie but I'd have much preferred someone else.

Nobody's been linked with him, but if he IS out of contract at the end of the season, I'd be surprised if he doesn't find clubs interested in offering him terms.

Regarding the rankings, I've sometimes wondered just how far down the list Scotland would drop if the national team wasn't 'boosted' by players from the EPL and English Championship. And if the effects of the OF's European results weren't so disproportionate to the almost total ineffectiveness of the other teams....

But we'll just have to wait and see who plays (and what happens) next Saturday, then.

@hibs.net private member
    But we'll just have to wait and see who plays (and what happens) next Saturday, then.
    I expect Maka to play - unfortunately Stack's not had a chance in pre-season. The problem I have with Maka is that he can't string anymore than 2 or 3 good games together without looking prone to a clanger.

I'd love Maka to turn into the superstar many think he is/will be. I just can't see it. TBH I lost my patience with him in January - about the same time I decided Mixu had to go.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 09-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Gamer IDs

I expect Maka to play - unfortunately Stack's not had a chance in pre-season. The problem I have with Maka is that he can't string anymore than 2 or 3 good games together without looking prone to a clanger.

I'd love Maka to turn into the superstar many think he is/will be. I just can't see it. TBH I lost my patience with him in January - about the same time I decided Mixu had to go.

We'll see. I like the idea of him metamorphosing into a Scot by the name of McCallum Bay - makes him sound like a single malt?

First Team Breakthrough
    Played very well yesterday, was impressed. I do think the mistakes are an issue though. The main argument thrown at you in response is that "every keeper makes mistakes" but the top ones don't make them every few weeks.

Makalamby took a goal kick yesterday and kicked it into the stand, half-way inside our half. It's silly wee mistakes like that he needs to cut out. He did well though and is slowly changing my opinion on him

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Callum has been superb in the last 2 friendlies. Perhaps there may be something in jones not playing in front of him?

Yup.

That, and Jones' bad habit of dropping deeper and deeper so that the whole back line ended up playing on the 6-yard line.

Jones is a good 'backs-to-the-wall' centre-half, but his positional sense is poor - which is why IMO our backs were to the wall so often last year.

That, and the invisible midfield that Mixu played.
    Apos for going over the same obsession you and I have shared, Doddie, but it is true that Jones, love him as I do, defended deeply and had poor communication with the keeper.

I believe that to play the Yogi/Mowbray/Hibs heritage expanisve game, we need a ball-playing centre-half and two rampaging full-backs. Sadly, RJ, great 'backs-to-the-wall" centre half hat he is, simply didn't fit the bill.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Apos for going over the same obsession you and I have shared, Doddie, but it is true that Jones, love him as I do, defended deeply and had poor communication with the keeper.

I believe that to play the Yogi/Mowbray/Hibs heritage expanisve game, we need a ball-playing centre-half and two rampaging full-backs. Sadly, RJ, great 'backs-to-the-wall" centre half hat he is, simply didn't fit the bill.

I'm more concerned that we sign someone who can play a bit of football than just look for another big stopper.

So where do we find a matching pair of rampaging full-backs, then, Bob?