hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a "head in the sand" response but what happened and how?
    Riordan went out for a drink, got refused entry to a club. as far as I know not all clubs participate in the scheme which has banned Riordan. Does Riordan know which ones have signed up?
    Don't know what was said when he was refused entry but surely it wasn't all one sided.
    And no, Riordan should have reacted against the police so the club have a point, but then it was after work.
    He does seem an easy target but surely a professional doorman wouldn't bait a high profile easy target.
    Surely the professionalism of L&B's finest wouldn't bait a high profile easy target.
    If the guy needs help then help should be offered, can't make him accept it though.

Having said all that. I was banned from this board after 8 posts for criticising the desire to sign him in the first place, pointing out the reasons for not signing him. go figure.
    I don't think this one incident is the problem. There are several incidents. And that's only the one's the media get a hold of. We probably don't know the big picture that Yogi and Petrie know of. Not forgetting the incidents with ginger ba's(Strachan)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Thing was with Best, he was a world rated superstar who, even with a few bevvies down his neck was miles ahead of Riordan.

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top flight football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

Now whether it's Derek himself or the cronies he hangs around with I don't really know but he has to take some responsibilty for his own actions, or he may be another statistic of a very good footballer who wasted his life and what might have been.
    3 points I disagree with-

When Best was at Hibs his days as a superstar were long behind him-he was unfit and often too drunk to play-at that time he was miles below the level Riordan is now and nowhere near as important to the team.

We don't know what the club has said to him other than giving him a mild disciplinary sanction.What evidence do you have to say he is looking to get pished at every opportunity and how regularly does he get lifted?

He does need to give himself a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    So I assume that you both believe that the club was wrong to discipline Riordan and that the Board committed an even worse crime by making it public?
    Not really but deek needs support/help as well as discipline.
    If he leaves Hibs now many many fans will correctly blame the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Homielang, are you by any chance related to RD Laing, or even R Laing (aka Boabster)? I think we should be told.
    Wouldn't it be enlightening to have that distinguished student of the human condition offering his take on the Deeks issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Asylum View Post
    Exactly. What did he do - slag off the polis - big deal.
    One Mr S Gerard and his mates were involved in a rather bigger story without as much fallout
    Totally agree, that was completely scandalous. Gerrard's saving grace though was that it was self-evident through his bearing and body language that he knew he'd been foolish and brought this mess on himself. I fear Deeks has yet to get to that point of realisation.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Yes, yes, of course. But it must be remembered that at the last count, ten esteemed gentlemen were unable to elevate Nade, not even with the help of a forklift truck.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    from football rumours so it - must - be - tr - - - a rumour?

–Inside Scoop from Edinburgh’s Premium Newspaper–

Derek Riordan has had a major spat with the Hibernian FC and their failure to back him in his troubles with the Police.

He has handed in a transfer request which has alerted city rivals Hearts who lost out on him previously. Hearts will offer Jamie Mole and £100K and we are hearing that this may be acceptable to John Hughes and his board.

John Hughes is on record as a great admirer of Jamie Mole and may see him as the final piece of the jigsaw.

–Inside Scoop from Edinburgh’s Premium Newspaper–

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Ws hoping we could stick out for Gary Glen.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Ws hoping we could stick out for Gary Glen.
    Or maybe even Nade.

First Team Regular Haggis Hibby's Avatar
    Is it just me that thinks a simple soution would be for deeks not to go out in Edin but go out inNewcastle, Manchester Dublin etc,,, he has a few bob can fly to most places in a hour... no banning order, quiet night out due to not being known outside scotland....

Problem solved... deeks out of headlines still gets to enjoy a night out we are all happy

just got the book about the making of Revovlr.
    bye

I don't like the fact that Besty and even Gazza are being compared to Deek here.
    The common ground is that they all loved a bevvy. I have no real problem with that even though it takes it's toll on performance and is sure to shorten a career.

Deeks biggest problem is the violent side to him when he's drunk. Between him and his entourage they are a danger to normal human beings.

Deeks problem is not drink, it is anger management. The guy is a brilliant footballer and a total ned. Besty was never violent.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbingtonHibs View Post
    I don't like the fact that Besty and even Gazza are being compared to Deek here.
    The common ground is that they all loved a bevvy. I have no real problem with that even though it takes it's toll on performance and is sure to shorten a career.

Deeks biggest problem is the violent side to him when he's drunk. Between him and his entourage they are a danger to normal human beings.

Deeks problem is not drink, it is anger management. The guy is a brilliant footballer and a total ned. Besty was never violent.
    Well maybe not quite never

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/be...e-1276169.html

I dont like "besty" being compared with deek either.
    best turned up when he felt like it, was decidedly average (mostly) and helped get us relegated IIRC

Club 12 (2013) Supporter modsquad's Avatar
    Is surely the point of Hughes stance maybe not to set an example to the younger players.

As a 'senior' player in the squad, is it not up to Riorden to set an example to those in the U-17/U-19 category.

My guess would be the club is making a bit of a show about discipline as a warning to the younger players not to step out of line and to keep the club off the front pages of the paper.

I wouldn't see it as anything sinister but as a way of the club flexing their muscle to:-

1. Get Riorden to try and screw the head or hes going to find himself in a similar situation to how his career went at Parkhead

2. To act as a deterrant to younger players from stepping out of line by showing that Hibernian FC are willing to drop/suspend/discipline one of their star players for his misdemeanours.

Everyone will have their own opinion about how professional football players should behave when off-field. If they get in trouble is it just their own reputation or the reputation of the club that they tarnish.

Unless Riorden makes it public, No-one will ever know the exact circumstances of the incident but its clear that DR maybe needs some guidance in his life of hes going to end up self destructing and ending up on the footballing scrapheap.

I know being a 'Yam' will probably end up with me getting pelters. Do I like DR as a player. No. Do I think DR has got talent. Absolutely. Theres a difference between recognising a player with ability and not liking him because he plays for your biggest rivals.

For his own sake, I hope he sorts himself out and gets back to making the headlines on the right pages for Hibs fans

I think we should only be worried about how much Derek's personal life impacts on his professional life. As a professional in any job unless you look after the tools they will start to deteriorate and you will become less effective.

At 16 - 20 Derek had great "potential" and that potential should be being realised now. I tend to think that we have seen the best of Derek, and whilst still good, he will never fully realise his potential. Since coming back from Celtic he, to use an Alex Fergusin phrase, got thicker round the middle and he shows no great signs of improved application. He can still win a game in a flash but that is likely to fade.

How Derek wants to live his life is up to him. In the end he will benefit or pay. I hope he has invested whatever money he has made or has a clear vision of his future outside football because I personally don't see the next big transfer to a bigger club - hopefully wrong. Don't compare him to Best or Marinello but look at Collins and Sauzee. Its what could have been that is important not a comparison of wasted talent.

Just my view.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonhibby View Post
    I think we should only be worried about how much Derek's personal life impacts on his professional life. As a professional in any job unless you look after the tools they will start to deteriorate and you will become less effective.

At 16 - 20 Derek had great "potential" and that potential should be being realised now. I tend to think that we have seen the best of Derek, and whilst still good, he will never fully realise his potential. Since coming back from Celtic he, to use an Alex Fergusin phrase, got thicker round the middle and he shows no great signs of improved application. He can still win a game in a flash but that is likely to fade.

How Derek wants to live his life is up to him. In the end he will benefit or pay. I hope he has invested whatever money he has made or has a clear vision of his future outside football because I personally don't see the next big transfer to a bigger club - hopefully wrong. Don't compare him to Best or Marinello but look at Collins and Sauzee. Its what could have been that is important not a comparison of wasted talent.

Just my view.
    Maybe wishfull thinking on my part but I reckon predictions of his demise are somewhat premature

First Team Breakthrough graemegyle's Avatar
    In todays Rantic he is now training with the squad in bolton.

Now in E/N http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hi...put.5533579.jp
    Last edited by graemegyle; 07-08-2009 at 10:50 AM.

I am not suggesting a demise. I hope not from his perspective. Its just he is not maximising his obvious talents. At the end of the day it is up to Derek.

I hope Derek bangs in the goals and is Hibs best player. Maybe his private life is having no impact - Hibs did discipline him for a reason - but I suspect he will not reach his full potential and for me that is sad.

We all know the George Best "Where did it all go wrong - Mary Stavin" story. At the elite sports level even a small reduction in performance can kill a career.

But as I said, it is up to Derek.

mm......wonder what the odds are of him scoring the winner in the first game?

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis Hibby View Post
    Is it just me that thinks a simple soution would be for deeks not to go out in Edin but go out inNewcastle, Manchester Dublin etc,,, he has a few bob can fly to most places in a hour... no banning order, quiet night out due to not being known outside scotland....

Problem solved... deeks out of headlines still gets to enjoy a night out we are all happy

Another simple solution would be for Derek to simply go out for a few drinks with his mates and realise that clubbing it till 3 am is a no go nowadays. He's not barred from bars, just certain nightclubs and most bars are open till 1-1.30am, plenty time to enjoy a good drink with your mates.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Another simple solution would be for Derek to simply go out for a few drinks with his mates and realise that clubbing it till 3 am is a no go nowadays. He's not barred from bars, just certain nightclubs and most bars are open till 1-1.30am, plenty time to enjoy a good drink with your mates.

And this is an acceptable life-style for a professional sportsman? Out to the wee small hours drinking with his mates?

And this won't lead to further 'incidents'?

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Was reading the DR today, and was amazed to read that Chelsea players on a night out, or a four hour bevvy session had drunk, 30 bottles of Dom Perignon,20 bottles of vodka,10 bottles of Jack Daniels, and much more,and the cost of this wee bender was £105,000.
    So its not just Scottish players that like a drink then i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Was reading the DR today, and was amazed to read that Chelsea players on a night out, or a four hour bevvy session had drunk, 30 bottles of Dom Perignon,20 bottles of vodka,10 bottles of Jack Daniels, and much more,and the cost of this wee bender was £105,000.
    Did the article say how many members of the public, doormen or police officers were abused in the process? ...........

They've got that big a squad and with hangers on it was 4 drinks each.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    Did the article say how many members of the public, doormen or police officers were abused in the process? ...........
    Erm nope.
    But it does show a picture of John Terry looking a bit on the wasted side, and the reason i mention it is that it says in the paper that, Terry drove himself home at 12.45 in his Bentley.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Erm nope.
    But it does show a picture of John Terry looking a bit on the wasted side, and the reason i mention it is that it says in the paper that, Terry drove himself home at 12.45 in his Bentley.

Wouldn't that be the Metropolitan Police area?

As in, the Met - the best police force money can buy?

They'd know his car, and know to let him go. And besides, he was in no danger - he wasn't going to kill himself in a Bentley.

Now the wee lass in the Corsa coming the other way - that's different....

It's up to Hibs to get the guy straight if they think his nocturnal activities are affecting his play.
    And he himself must grow up and realise that drink is his problem.

He's still the man most likely to score goals and Hibs need to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    And this is an acceptable life-style for a professional sportsman? Out to the wee small hours drinking with his mates?

And this won't lead to further 'incidents'?

Doddie, we're not talking about every night, only the weekend after a game, which is generally when players can relax and let their hair down a wee bit.

An exeptable life style for any sportman is to train hard, eat proper healthy food, with the odd drink occassionally once a week. As a personal trainer myself and one who competes in natural bodybuilding competitions, I know how important it is to treat your body like a temple so they say.
    It's also important to allow yourself occassional treats, whether they're food or drink orientated.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Doddie, we're not talking about every night, only the weekend after a game, which is generally when players can relax and let their hair down a wee bit.

An exeptable life style for any sportman is to train hard, eat proper healthy food, with the odd drink occassionally once a week. As a personal trainer myself and one who competes in natural bodybuilding competitions, I know how important it is to treat your body like a temple so they say.
    It's also important to allow yourself occassional treats, whether they're food or drink orientated.
    Having a drink is one thing, but breakfast you get in the polis station is not what you'd call a healthy one. Or do they offer smoothies and meusli these days?