hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See if Cristian Ronaldo was playing for us and he was getting lifted every week, do you think the club would give a monkey's about its reputation?
    Of course. Shouldn't he be sacked did you no say.

"Sorry son, you were out on the lash. Pick up your cards. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200."

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs1875aye View Post
    Of course. Shouldn't he be sacked did you no say.

"Sorry son, you were out on the lash. Pick up your cards. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200."
    I didn't say anyone should be sacked, I was trying to highlight the hypocrisy surrounding Riordan's behaviour.

I didn't say anyone should be sacked, I was trying to highlight the hypocrisy surrounding Riordan's behaviour.
    I know

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    See if Cristian Ronaldo was playing for us and he was getting lifted every week, do you think the club would give a monkey's about its reputation?
    what ?!..are you serious ?.....do you think they would let it continue ?...Riordan is extracting the urine...that can't happen or every man and his dog will try it on..
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Ronaldo did not get into those situations as he was not drinking late into the evening and more often than not was at home. Seems he thought that keeping fit and looking after his body helped his performance. Strange or maybe DR has it wrong.

DR is also one of the senior players. What he does others look at and follow. That is one reason why clubs like Man United do well, as the roll models are excellent pros like Giggs and Scholes.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

We had Best playing for us at a time when he was only intermittently vertical, and then only VERY precariously so.

Added a few thousands to the gates, and gave Tom Hart a few banner headlines, but did nothing whatsoever for the club.

IIRC we went down the tubes that season, big time.

I would hope that the club WOULD realise that even a name as big as Ronaldo's doesn't give a player carte blanche to misbehave out of working hours.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I'll soon be banned from every thread on the board.

Anyway, why doesn't Deek dress up as an OAP, it always worked for Oor Wullie - and they do look a bit like each other when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    We had Best playing for us at a time when he was only intermittently vertical, and then only VERY precariously so.

Added a few thousands to the gates, and gave Tom Hart a few banner headlines, but did nothing whatsoever for the club.

IIRC we went down the tubes that season, big time.

I would hope that the club WOULD realise that even a name as big as Ronaldo's doesn't give a player carte blanche to misbehave out of working hours.
    I was going to mention Best. Seems his infrequent and mild drinking got less attention than Riordan's attempts to get into a club and shouting at the cops

First Team Breakthrough Joy Zipper's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Bourne Yesterday;2120784]I'm a monk. Can't speak for everyone though (vow of silence in effect).[/QUOTE]

LOL

Come on Derek. Grab a couple of goals and all will be forgiven!

Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    When I was 26 I behaved pretty much like Deek. At no point did I "screw the nut", "act professional" or "grow up". Anyone trying to give me advice would have been told where to shove it. I knew best and was always the victim, never the perpetrator.

I think those calling for him to do so now are completely barking up the wrong tree. Best to let him slip out of the limelight and see how things pan out
    That was half a lifetime ago you must've stopped sometime and grew up a bit.
    I know lots of guys who behaved like that, and a bit worse, most of them grew up or out of it the ones that didn't are now dead, in jail or lying in their own pish somewhere.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I know lots of guys who behaved like that, and a bit worse, most of them grew up or out of it the ones that didn't are now dead, in jail or lying in their own pish somewhere.

It's a question of why some people behave that way at that time in their lives.

Sometimes it's just a matter of growing up, of waking up one morning and deciding that life has to change, that you're tired of the nonsense, that you want something better.

If you can decide to do that, and then DO it - fine.

If you want to, but can't (for whatever reason), then you need help.

There are clinics, programs, life-coaches, whatever, that can help, but you need to want the help. Change has to come from within.

When this has to be worked out in the public eye, of course, it's much more difficult, especially with everyone and his auntie trying to second-guess whatever you do.

I think this matter was blown way out of proportion. We pay Deeks to score goals and without him on the pitch we will be lucky muster any goals at all. Unless the Tache goes way out of character and opens the purse strings we will be lucky to escape relegation with no chance of the top 6 without a striker of quality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    It's a question of why some people behave that way at that time in their lives.

Sometimes it's just a matter of growing up, of waking up one morning and deciding that life has to change, that you're tired of the nonsense, that you want something better.

If you can decide to do that, and then DO it - fine.

If you want to, but can't (for whatever reason), then you need help.

There are clinics, programs, life-coaches, whatever, that can help, but you need to want the help. Change has to come from within.

When this has to be worked out in the public eye, of course, it's much more difficult, especially with everyone and his auntie trying to second-guess whatever you do.
    Some might say it is a case of low self esteem. People have been conditioned to believe they are worthless, and so when things go well for them they cannot handle the situation. So, to bring them back to their comfort zone, they engage in self-defeating behaviours.

I read an interesting article about this, where a psychologist was comparing England's success rate in penalty shoot outs with other nations. He reached the conclusion that because England believe they are losers, subconsciously defeat is not only acceptable, it is preferable. This is contrasted with Germany and Italy amongst others, where defeat is totally unacceptable.

I'm not going to analyse Derek Riordan, but I see plenty of people around me who could do a lot better for themselves, yet chose to stick within the comfort zone of their scheme and their friends. They'll say it's loyalty or modesty, but from what I can make out is that they are sh*t scared of making a go of life on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by homielang View Post
    I think this matter was blown way out of proportion. We pay Deeks to score goals and without him on the pitch we will be lucky muster any goals at all. Unless the Tache goes way out of character and opens the purse strings we will be lucky to escape relegation with no chance of the top 6 without a striker of quality.
    Exactly. What did he do - slag off the polis - big deal.
    One Mr S Gerard and his mates were involved in a rather bigger story without as much fallout

Blog Entries
    Homielang, are you by any chance related to RD Laing, or even R Laing (aka Boabster)? I think we should be told.

Gamer IDs

There is a question as to whether the board are entitled to watch one of their employees getting into trouble and causing himself and others grief without offering assistance.

Grant Brebner had a gambling problem while he was at ER; the club tried to help him, and only cut him loose when it becane clear that he wasn't ready to be helped.

It's not primarily about the reputation of the football club, IMO - it's about an employer's responsibility to offer support and assistance to an employee who may or may not be struggling with personal problems.

Much of this is, of course, pure speculation. Personal business about which we have little or no right to know.

But we do have Colin Nish, Jonatan Johannson, Kurtis Byrne, and possibly Benji as a potential strike force in addition to Deek. And I will be very surprised if Deek (provided he stays at ER and doesn't head off down south) doesn't contribute his usual 20 goals or so to the credit column this season.

I was going to mention Best. Seems his infrequent and mild drinking got less attention than Riordan's attempts to get into a club and shouting at the cops

Thing was with Best, he was a world rated superstar who, even with a few bevvies down his neck was miles ahead of Riordan.

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top flight football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

Now whether it's Derek himself or the cronies he hangs around with I don't really know but he has to take some responsibilty for his own actions, or he may be another statistic of a very good footballer who wasted his life and what might have been.
    Last edited by J-C; 06-08-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Thing was with Best, he was a world rated superstar who, even with a few bevvies down his neck was miles ahead of Riordan.

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top fligh football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

Now whether it's Derek himself or the cronies he hangs around with I don't really know but he has to take some responsibilty for his own actions, or he may be another statistic of a very good footballer who wasted his life and what might have been.
    I think this is the rub. For me, I'm not interested in what players do off the pitch, as long as they perform on it they're OK. Derek did pretty well last season, considering his lack of matches in the previous two years. I think he is undoubtedly our best player.

Hughes and the board have obviously told Riordan to either screw the nut, knuckle down or the door will hit him on the way out. We as a club have given him another chance to get back into top flight football again by bringing him back, he needs to repay us by showing himself to be a professional footballer and not some average bloke looking to get pished up at every opportunity and getting lifted on a regular basis.

or maybe the club feel they need to be seen to be doing something.

on the point of repayment IMO deek owes us nothing

Indeed he was. Though according to most sources, his time everywhere else other than easter road was where he really made a difference

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Me too, but moving to bolton turned his life right around.

Homielang, are you by any chance related to RD Laing, or even R Laing (aka Boabster)? I think we should be told.

No relation whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Asylum View Post

Apart from taking him away from Celtic youth team training and a career that was spiralling to nonentity status , then I thnk he owes the club a hellova lot.

Indeed he was. Though according to most sources, his time everywhere else other than easter road was where he really made a difference

I had the privilege to see Best at ER, and even at the end of his career, you could see he was head and shoulders above everyone here. He was never going to win anything to talk about when here, he earned a few bob and brought in the crowds during his time here.

First Team Breakthrough Hibee_Rab's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rabferg

Of course he owes you nothing, you are a hearts fan, or is the pink outline on you a mistake? At the moment deeks owes us for the pay he gets each week, which IMO means he should be trying to play as well as he can (drinking heavily will affect his fitness) and not bring bad publicity to the club.

apart from 49 years, a load of sanctimonious twaddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee_Rab View Post
    Of course he owes you nothing, you are a hearts fan, or is the pink outline on you a mistake? At the moment deeks owes us for the pay he gets each week, which IMO means he should be trying to play as well as he can (drinking heavily will affect his fitness) and not bring bad publicity to the club.
    I'm a hibbie but the admins coloured me pink cos I said some things they didn't like.

Like you I would prefer he was tucked up in bed early every night

I think all we are entitled to expect is for him to perform on the field of play.
    The only way he can let the club down is if he doesn't do his job on the pitch.

Too many people seem to think they have a right to tell others how to live their lives - without having any idea what it would be like to be that person. Personally I think the lad is a bit of a tube going on like he does, but it's his business, not mine.
    Exactly. What did he do - slag off the polis - big deal.
    One Mr S Gerard and his mates were involved in a rather bigger story without as much fallout
    So I assume that you both believe that the club was wrong to discipline Riordan and that the Board committed an even worse crime by making it public?

While the incident itself was a minor offence of disorder in nature, the Club does not condone or accept the player's behaviour on this occasion.

This is not good. Sounds very ominous. Just like what yogi did with Benji he turned him over to the board to decide. Which means he's washed his hands over Riordan. Yogi's latest comments are very diplomatic. I'm sure it's up to Riordan and the board to make a decision on his future. Someone mentioned something yesterday about him being in Southampton.
    Must admit though that he's obviously a handful and needs to grow up and be responsible. Not just to himself but to Hibernian football club and most importantly the fans........
    If Yogi is going to set an example he has to treat all players equally and not give special treatment to someone like Riordan. Natural talent is not enough to survive in any business. If Riordan continues this way he'll find that out pretty quivcly.