hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough graemegyle's Avatar

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by graemegyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find this paragraph very strange :-

although Hughes claimed he hopes to call on his services for the second leg of Hibernian's Lancashire adventure against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday.

If the Manager is not in control of the Riordan situation then who the *ell is?

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Things don't sound good. As I've said before, I doubt we'll finish top 6 if Riordan heads out the door.

Hoping he's in the starting XI on August 15th.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    If Derek's after school activities indeed are really trying to get into every nightclub from where he's banned would Yogi not be better off telling him he's finished and that the door is shut?

We could use that sort of effort

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by O'rourke3 View Post
    If Derek's after school activities indeed are really trying to get into every nightclub from where he's banned would Yogi not be better off telling him he's finished and that the door is shut?

We could use that sort of effort
    I've never known being banned from a nightclub to affect a player's ability to score goals. Are we football supporters or monks?

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    I've never known being banned from a nightclub to affect a player's ability to score goals. Are we football supporters or monks?
    I'm a monk. Can't speak for everyone though (vow of silence in effect).

I've read a few things on here about Deeks and how people feel towards him. I see both points we really need a guy like him in the team but lets look at this. Is he really that interested in playing for Hibs? Yes he's a Hibs fan but i know for a fact if i was in his shoes i would do anything to get my head down as Hibs have brought him home "his words" so Derek how about you start showing us how much that means to you and get that head screwed on. I'm not interested in your private life as long as you don't bring the club down. Go out have fun that's not the issue it's the way you seem to argue and fight when something doesn't go your way. The odd time is ok as we have all lost our cool at some point but your doing this way to much. So i put it to you if you do come back do what you were good at.. taking on players and smashing the goals in. Not sure if you feel that because you were at Celtic you have this big club mentality, I hope not. End of the day the fans only want to see a player like Deeks do well and we all know he has the ability.

Come on Derek now is the time to stand up and show it.

Hughes is showing Riordan he doesn't walk into the team and keeping him on edge about the next game-seems the right way to tackle the situation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I've read a few things on here about Deeks and how people feel towards him. I see both points we really need a guy like him in the team but lets look at this. Is he really that interested in playing for Hibs? Yes he's a Hibs fan but i know for a fact if i was in his shoes i would do anything to get my head down as Hibs have brought him home "his words" so Derek how about you start showing us how much that means to you and get that head screwed on. I'm not interested in your private life as long as you don't bring the club down. Go out have fun that's not the issue it's the way you seem to argue and fight when something doesn't go your way. The odd time is ok as we have all lost our cool at some point but your doing this way to much. So i put it to you if you do come back do what you were good at.. taking on players and smashing the goals in. Not sure if you feel that because you were at Celtic you have this big club mentality, I hope not. End of the day the fans only want to see a player like Deeks do well and we all know he has the ability.

Come on Derek now is the time to stand up and show it.
    I think all we are entitled to expect is for him to perform on the field of play.
    The only way he can let the club down is if he doesn't do his job on the pitch.

Too many people seem to think they have a right to tell others how to live their lives - without having any idea what it would be like to be that person. Personally I think the lad is a bit of a tube going on like he does, but it's his business, not mine.

I think all we are entitled to expect is for him to perform on the field of play.

Too many people seem to think they have a right to tell others how to live their lives - without having any idea what it would be like to be that person. Personally I think the lad is a bit of a tube going on like he does, but it's his business, not mine.
    There is a difference though in that you and I and the likes we live pretty much private lives on the other hand Deeks job keeps him in the public eye. Therefore anything negative that is reported about him will rub off on the club due to the link and the fans, in many cases, will be disappointed. Some of his off field activities could lead to him missing games, as per last night, and fans should be disgruntled about that. Or am I being unfair?

I agree mate, but i do think he's not bringing much to the table since he's been back and we did pay a few bob for him. I know he wasn't fit etc.. I'm best mates with an SPL player and i've seen how people can be towards him. Your right people can't tell him how to run his life though but i do think it's having an impact on his game. That's just my opinion though.

I'd love to see him play each week giving it his all.. then he can do what he likes off the park.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    There is a difference though in that you and I and the likes we live pretty much private lives on the other hand Deeks job keeps him in the public eye. Therefore anything negative that is reported about him will rub off on the club due to the link and the fans, in many cases, will be disappointed. Some of his off field activities could lead to him missing games, as per last night, and fans should be disgruntled about that. Or am I being unfair?
    Don't think you're being unfair at all. That's what i'm saying it is impacting on his game his actions of last w'end and other times. I just want him to get the head down before it's to late and go down as a "what could have been" type of player.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    No way unfair. Riordan owes Hibs big time for resurrecting his flagging career and the guy should screw the nut to avoid the harm he is causing the club through his nocturnal behaviour. His loyalty/commitment to the club does not, as some here think, stop when he walks out the gate at ER.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I agree mate, but i do think he's not bringing much to the table since he's been back and we did pay a few bob for him. I know he wasn't fit etc.. I'm best mates with an SPL player and i've seen how people can be towards him. Your right people can't tell him how to run his life though but i do think it's having an impact on his game. That's just my opinion though.

I'd love to see him play each week giving it his all.. then he can do what he likes off the park.
    I think he was short of match practice when he came back, yet he still scored more goals than Fletch (in half the time). I would say he is looking fit and I am impressed that he is putting in a lot more work off the ball than he used to.

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar
    I think he was short of match practice when he came back, yet he still scored more goals than Fletch (in half the time). I would say he is looking fit and I am impressed that he is putting in a lot more work off the ball than he used to.
    I agree - football wise he looks lean and seems to be working hard, tho still needs to find a pass a bit more often than shooting when others are in good areas.

He is in the spotlight tho. Kids look up to footballers, and what he does at night does have an effect on the fans, especially the kids, and sends out all the wrong messages for the kinds of behaviour acceptable in our society.

Deek has to remember the first word of his job title "proffessional" and start acting a bit more like it.

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    When it involves the police then I am sorry but the club have done the correct thing!!

When I was 26 I behaved pretty much like Deek. At no point did I "screw the nut", "act professional" or "grow up". Anyone trying to give me advice would have been told where to shove it. I knew best and was always the victim, never the perpetrator.

I think those calling for him to do so now are completely barking up the wrong tree. Best to let him slip out of the limelight and see how things pan out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post
    When it involves the police then I am sorry but the club have done the correct thing!!
    The correct thing would be to sack him, as happens in other professions, but they are not going to do that. Football is a law unto itself, and the club aren't making a moral stance, they are protecting their asset.

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    The correct thing would be to sack him, as happens in other professions, but they are not going to do that. Football is a law unto itself, and the club aren't making a moral stance, they are protecting their asset.
    As you said, football is a law to itself and i think Hibs have taken the correct steps, no-one is bigger than the club and by suspending him they have shown him he is not the messiah he thinks he is. Hopefully this kick up the backside will get him thinking, but then again when has Deek ever thought about his actions off the pitch.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

I think that we are entitled to expect a bit more from football players and from Riordan in particular. First-off, I would have done anything to be a Hibs player and if that meant staying away from situation that you 100% know will land you in trouble, then that is surely a small price to pay? Your career as a player is all but done in early-mid thirties, so you 40 to 50 years to make an erze of yourself. What rips my knitting though is that he wasted two or so years at Darkheid not getting a game. How is this any way to behave now that his first team place is more or less guaranteed?

Really? Bucketman gets into a scrap or bother with the cops - is he handed his cards? Bus driver gets into bother or fight at the weekend - given his cards? Bloke working in Asda slaps someone hard and gets a night in the cells - is he deemed inappropriate to stack shelves and given his cards?

What do these have in common?

None of them affect the employees ability to do his job thus are not sackable offences.

Maybe not very good, not likeable etc but NOT sackable offences.

Therein, we have the issue.

As for "where the police are involved" - how about Strathclydes finest? Are they to be respected, loved and honoured? Nope. They are about the worst police there are. Wearing a police uniform doesnt exempt them from being tits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs1875aye View Post
    Really? Bucketman gets into a scrap or bother with the cops - is he handed his cards? Bus driver gets into bother or fight at the weekend - given his cards? Bloke working in Asda slaps someone hard and gets a night in the cells - is he deemed inappropriate to stack shelves and given his cards?

What do these have in common?

None of them affect the employees ability to do his job thus are not sackable offences.

Maybe not very good, not likeable etc but NOT sackable offences.

Therein, we have the issue.

As for "where the police are involved" - how about Strathclydes finest? Are they to be respected, loved and honoured? Nope. They are about the worst police there are. Wearing a police uniform doesnt exempt them from being tits.
    I'm sorry but a lot of employers will dismiss you if you misbehave on your own time. I know mine would.

I'm sorry but a lot of employers will dismiss you if you misbehave on your own time. I know mine would.
    How would they know if you weren't in the public eye? Bloke gets lifted on Friday and released and back at work...unless the police informed the employer, how would they find out?

There are some cases where that may be the case of course i.e. if your job means you can't get into scraps and misbehave/speed at 120mph (such as a police officer for example ) but those are exceptions I reckon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs1875aye View Post
    How would they know if you weren't in the public eye? Bloke gets lifted on Friday and released and back at work...unless the police informed the employer, how would they find out?

There are some cases where that may be the case of course i.e. if your job means you can't get into scraps and misbehave/speed at 120mph (such as a police officer for example ) but those are exceptions I reckon.
    It's all to do with being a fit and reputable person, I think. Maybe someone who knows HR law, (or failing that an HR officer) can say what the position is?

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    As the perpetrator of the comment for which filled rolls is now getting bashed on I thought I'd explain the comment. It was intended to be humorous. The fact he's banned from every place in the town (C) Yakback doesn't stop him trying hard every week. The OP headed this "door open". Ergo if it's open he doesn't want in - so close it.

Simples

...but that get's FR a doing on another thread.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by O'rourke3 View Post
    As the perpetrator of the comment for which filled rolls is now getting bashed on I thought I'd explain the comment. It was intended to be humorous. The fact he's banned from every place in the town (C) Yakback doesn't stop him trying hard every week. The OP headed this "door open". Ergo if it's open he doesn't want in - so close it.

Simples

...but that get's FR a doing on another thread.

I thought you'd had a really good idea there, myself.

Ban Deek from getting into East Mains, ER, anywhere owned and run by Hibernian FC. He'd bust a gut to get past the bouncers.

Blog Entries
    I'll soon be banned from every thread on the board.

Anyway, why doesn't Deek dress up as an OAP, it always worked for Oor Wullie - and they do look a bit like each other when you think about it.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    I think hibs are looking out for their reputation, a reputation for bringing young players thru the ranks, developing them as people not just footballers. Hibs will be around long after deeks has left the scene, and they (quite rightly) need to ensure their rep remains intact. Young players looking at his behaviour might reckon this is okay to get lifted all the time, and you can still get a game (if hibs had done nothing)...or they may say "I'm going to hibs because they will keep me on the straight and narrow, and if I do misbehave, they'll not bottle tough decisions".
    If hibs did nothing, others at the club would know some players were bigger than the club....that can't happen.
    Rightly, or wrongly, hibs had/have to take tough action against a serial offender....good player or not.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

I'll soon be banned from every thread on the board.

Anyway, why doesn't Deek dress up as an OAP, it always worked for Oor Wullie - and they do look a bit like each other when you think about it.
    if this happens, you will be to blame for leading our star astray you understand. (funny to think about the wee guy and Deek though, now you mention it).

Trouble is, PC Murdoch is a touchy subject right now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs7_0 View Post
    I think hibs are looking out for their reputation, a reputation for bringing young players thru the ranks, developing them as people not just footballers. Hibs will be around long after deeks has left the scene, and they (quite rightly) need to ensure their rep remains intact. Young players looking at his behaviour might reckon this is okay to get lifted all the time, and you can still get a game (if hibs had done nothing)...or they may say "I'm going to hibs because they will keep me on the straight and narrow, and if I do misbehave, they'll not bottle tough decisions".
    If hibs did nothing, others at the club would know some players were bigger than the club....that can't happen.
    Rightly, or wrongly, hibs had/have to take tough action against a serial offender....good player or not.
    See if Cristian Ronaldo was playing for us and he was getting lifted every week, do you think the club would give a monkey's about its reputation?