hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, what else did you want from the guy?

We kept a clean sheet and, in your own words, he had two 'blinding' saves. The curse of the Hibs goalkeepers (which, IMHO, is the Hibs support) strikes again.
    He didn't command his defence or area particularly well IMHO, got caught out twice coming for a ball on the edge of the area and dropping it - luckily Bamba was on hand to clear it on both occasions IIRC. Great shot stopper, no doubt about it, but I certainly don't feel completely confident in him, and if any of his defenders are of the same opinion then we're in trouble.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Being a grump I predict a lot of 1-0 defeats this season.In a lot of games Falkirk had more than 50% possession but hadn't a scooby as to what to do with it.It's easy to be coached to keep the ball but much more difficult to learn how to put it where it matters.
    We`ll have to kep the ball away from our fragile defence and our big fragile centre forward, c`mon Yogi get a couple of decent players in before next saturday, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    Two top quality saves. Your words.

What the hell else do you want???

You know what?

I'm sick to death of every player except Maka getting a free pass on being crap.

Two top quality saves.

I guess it's just a shame he didn't save a child from a burning building while he was at it, eh???

Or shoot the ****ing dog...

On Saturday, Bamba cost us the game. He made a mistake best described as disgraceful - beyond ****ing awful - but I came on here when I got home and people were getting on Maka (for no ****ing reason at all) cos Bamba was our player of the year and we can't criticise him. No. Not at all.

Wakey-wakey. We were ****ing terrible last year. Being player of the season last season (when we were apocalyptically ****ing bad) isn't something to write home about. And - incidentally - there are a few guys I'd nominate before Bamba if it came down to it. Chris Hogg, anyone?

Bamba is a hideously limited footballer, but he seems to be some kind of hero who's immune from criticism, cos he's off to Arsenal.

Nae offence, but if there's anything Arsenal want, it's somebody who can pass the ****ing ball. Which rules Sol Bamba out for a start. On a good day his close control is best described as ****ing terrible.

I'm ****ing sick of it. Maka isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be. Sounds to me as if he's been ****ing outstandingly good tonight, but it's too painful for you mother****ers to admit it.

Well, **** you.

Yeah, I'm drunk.

But I don't care.

I'm sick of it.

Maka's cool with me.

I am not drunk.

And I am posting with premeditation and forethought.

The only bit of this I disagree with is the bit about "every player except Maka getting a free pass on being crap", because I know very well that there are one or two others who're liable to get the treatment any day now. That's one of the joys of playing for our glorious club - if your face doesn't fit, your own fans can be nastier than the opposing ones.

Maka regularly gets a bum rap from certain posters on this board.

Saturday night was a perfect case in point.

First goal - Bamba's blunder.

Second goal - the whole defence playing "After you Claude, no, after you Cecil" instead of sorting things expeditiously and effectively.

(Maybe the much-maligned McBride's absence had something to do with the shambles? IIRC when he signed for us he was posted by some folks as useless as well.)

Third goal - winger given acres of space to put the cross in to a centre-forward in acres of space giving said centre-forward a completely free header with no opposition whatsoever.

But according to some, it was all Maka's fault.

The 'Herald' takes just enough notice of our game to have a go at the guy as well today - maybe a .netter moonlighting?

I'd suggest that Yogi must be wondering what the **** he's got himself into (oopsie - dinnae tell ma bosses!) but he's a Leefer and he's probably not surprised in the slightest.

Anyone else noticed that the season hasn't started yet?

PS: the Big Guy's cool with me too.
    Last edited by --------; 06-08-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    So, what else did you want from the guy?

We kept a clean sheet and, in your own words, he had two 'blinding' saves. The curse of the Hibs goalkeepers (which, IMHO, is the Hibs support) strikes again.
    What else do I want?

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    He didn't command his defence or area particularly well IMHO, got caught out twice coming for a ball on the edge of the area and dropping it - luckily Bamba was on hand to clear it on both occasions IIRC. Great shot stopper, no doubt about it, but I certainly don't feel completely confident in him, and if any of his defenders are of the same opinion then we're in trouble.
    Someone who doesn't do that!!

The boy is a huge 6'5''. Anything in the six yard box at least should be his. Opposition players should be decapitated as he smashes straight through them to get the ball.

This rarely, if ever, happens. Instead, panic sets in as no-one claims the ball, Maka doesn't shout instructions one way or another and is frequently out of position/off for a needless wander.

Someone who cuts all that out of their game, keeps goal. That's what more I want, a goal 'keeper'

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I understand what he means. I thought maka was superb last night, the 2 saves were top drawer, but he did drop an easy catch late on in the game, and he went for a wander that resulted in a needless corner. His kicking was superb, he saved most that came his way, he just has that casualness that make some people nervous.

I know he has faults, the casualness does kind of worry me as well.

However, it seems, and fair enough I'm going on Speedway's account of the game, that he had some amazing saves and could be considered responsible for keeping a clean sheet. Despite that, he still gets slated.

Hibs had something like the fourth best defensive record in the SPL last season, surely some of which is down to the keeper.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I know he has faults, the casualness does kind of worry me as well.

However, it seems, and fair enough I'm going on Speedway's account of the game, that he had some amazing saves and could be considered responsible for keeping a clean sheet. Despite that, he still gets slated.

Hibs had something like the fourth best defensive record in the SPL last season, surely some of which is down to the keeper.
    Me too, although if we got what we did last night from him every week, we would have a very good keeper. He needs to cut out the daft mistakes.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Me too, although if we got what we did last night from him every week, we would have a very good keeper. He needs to cut out the daft mistakes.

As does alomost every other keeper in the SPL and EPL.

But they're not all first stop on their own supporters "let's get them" list.

Just spoke to a Blackburn fan who was there last night.

Reckoned they were poor, mentioned Zoumer, Bamba and Maka as being stand out and asked how that 'Donkey' up front gets a game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Just spoke to a Blackburn fan who was there last night.

Reckoned they were poor, mentioned Zoumer, Bamba and Maka as being stand out and asked how that 'Donkey' up front gets a game for us.
    We were very poor up front, and understand his comments, but if we were poor, why did they not beat us? Anyway, tell him it took a while, but we did win 3-0 on aggregate.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just in from the game. First 10 minutes I felt we looked like we were going to get horsed but we got into our stride and had our share of the play.

The players are clearly trying to implement what Yogi is asking. Tonight we played possession footie, always had an out ball, won the ball back well and contained Rovers. With Nish as our only striker, we were never going to have any teeth but apart from that, a very professional display.

Maka - Two blinding saves but not a keeper I trust.

McCann - Did ok. Worked hard but was just too wee against the giants Blackburn had.

Hogg - Strong tonight. Was never going to win everything in the air due to his height but did a lot of talking to his team tonight including encouraging players individually when the play was stopped.

Bamba - One bad pass all night, otherwise superb imo.

Murray - Again, not quick enough to get balls into the box put plenty of endeavour there and didn't give the ball away.

McBride - Excellent. Did the simple stuff well all night.

Cregg - Pressed a lot but didn't make his presence felt.

Rankin - see Cregg, too small for this game.

Lewis - see Rankin and Cregg.

Zoumer - The one real class player on the park for either side, a joy to watch.

Nish - Graduated from the Davie Beaumont School of Ball Control tonight with honours. Absolute single fish.

Subs weren't on long enough to rate.

Clearly a strong team spirit is emerging and while it's clear that we are woefully short of quality, we've got a side on tonight's showing, that are willing to work for each other, talk to each other, encourage each other and pass the ball, keeping possession and pressing for it back when it's lost.

That's an encouraging start.
    Sounds exactly like ehmmmm, well, Falkirk last year

We were very poor up front, and understand his comments, but if we were poor, why did they not beat us? Anyway, tell him it took a while, but we did win 3-0 on aggregate.
    Sorry, he meant he felt Blackburn were poor.

He also commented, since he was in the lower tier of the JW stand, how animated he'd noticed that our manager was.

Sorry, he meant he felt Blackburn were poor.

He also commented, since he was in the lower tier of the JW stand, how animated he'd noticed that our manager was.
    Ahh. Cant say i noticed yogi much.

think he may be getting our manager and his assistant mixed up .. Rice was out yelling all game