hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Anyone depressed about the new season already?

While we now have a manager in place who at least understands what the fans expect of Hibs (ie a competitive team with an onus on attractive football), I'm not convinced he's in a position to achieve even that modest target. Yes Yogi talks a great game but where is the evidence he can deliver what he wants? I left Easter Road in a pretty gloomy frame of mind yesterday. I know it was a friendly but think you can read more into these games than a lot of managers admit. IMHO there was nothing there to suggest we can expect anything better than what we've endured over the last couple of seasons. The bulk of the new signings have come from a team which only avoided relegation on the last day of the season and having sold Jones, we are left with a defence which will crumble against any half decent team. That's fine if all we're looking for is another mid table finish (because let's face it the overall standard of the SPL is utter dross), but talk of a return to the Mowbray era is unrealistic. I had a season ticket last year but didn't go to a single game after Christmas. I was tempted back yesterday but will be waiting to see if I'm proved wrong before venturing back again. It's all very well to preach loyalty to your team through thick and thin, but things have been too thin for too long and I suspect I'm one of many who still can't really be ersed with it any more.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nope.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Coaching Staff

I am looking forward to it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Realistic not depressed.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicky Ranks View Post
    While we now have a manager in place who at least understands what the fans expect of Hibs (ie a competitive team with an onus on attractive football), I'm not convinced he's in a position to achieve even that modest target. Yes Yogi talks a great game but where is the evidence he can deliver what he wants? I left Easter Road in a pretty gloomy frame of mind yesterday. I know it was a friendly but think you can read more into these games than a lot of managers admit. IMHO there was nothing there to suggest we can expect anything better than what we've endured over the last couple of seasons. The bulk of the new signings have come from a team which only avoided relegation on the last day of the season and having sold Jones, we are left with a defence which will crumble against any half decent team. That's fine if all we're looking for is another mid table finish (because let's face it the overall standard of the SPL is utter dross), but talk of a return to the Mowbray era is unrealistic. I had a season ticket last year but didn't go to a single game after Christmas. I was tempted back yesterday but will be waiting to see if I'm proved wrong before venturing back again. It's all very well to preach loyalty to your team through thick and thin, but things have been too thin for too long and I suspect I'm one of many who still can't really be ersed with it any more.

Good post. That pretty much sums it up for me too. I'll always be a Hibs fan but I'm not planning to pay to watch them any time soon.

why is it that if someone posts something that isnt exactly correct people start to call him a yam, yam clown etc.

While we now have a manager in place who at least understands what the fans expect of Hibs (ie a competitive team with an onus on attractive football), I'm not convinced he's in a position to achieve even that modest target. Yes Yogi talks a great game but where is the evidence he can deliver what he wants? I left Easter Road in a pretty gloomy frame of mind yesterday. I know it was a friendly but think you can read more into these games than a lot of managers admit. IMHO there was nothing there to suggest we can expect anything better than what we've endured over the last couple of seasons. The bulk of the new signings have come from a team which only avoided relegation on the last day of the season and having sold Jones, we are left with a defence which will crumble against any half decent team. That's fine if all we're looking for is another mid table finish (because let's face it the overall standard of the SPL is utter dross), but talk of a return to the Mowbray era is unrealistic. I had a season ticket last year but didn't go to a single game after Christmas. I was tempted back yesterday but will be waiting to see if I'm proved wrong before venturing back again. It's all very well to preach loyalty to your team through thick and thin, but things have been too thin for too long - aye, historically speaking, the 2 years its been since we won the League Cup is far too long to go trophyless for Hibs................. and I suspect I'm one of many who still can't really be ersed with it any more.
    So, errr, nope, I'm not depressed about the new season, going into it hoping that Yogi will have got a couple of signings before the St Mirren game, and certainly before September 1st, but I'll be at Bolton, St Mirren and as many games as I can make after that. Not an "uber-fan" statement, just a summary of my position. We live in hope, as always

GGTTH

Depressed is probably too strong a word to use at this early stage. A word that could be used if yesterday we were playing in a competitive game such as a league game, Scottish Cup Final;, "Diddy" Cup Final etc. Yesterday was a friendly and although I would have been much happier today if we had won I'm far from being depressed.

At the age of 29 you probably have a better chance of seeing Hibs win the Scottish Cup than a large percentage of posters on this messageboard. If you want to discuss depression then bring it on.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    So, errr, nope, I'm not depressed about the new season, going into it hoping that Yogi will have got a couple of signings before the St Mirren game, and certainly before September 1st, but I'll be at Bolton, St Mirren and as many games as I can make after that. Not an "uber-fan" statement, just a summary of my position. We live in hope, as always

GGTTH
    No offence, but I think it's the 'live in hope' mentality that is the problem with most Hibs fans. 'Living in hope' gets you a paltry three League Cups in 60 odd years. If the fans tried to raise the bar a bit instead of shrugging their shoulders and muttering 'typical Hibs' we might actually have a team which aspires to more than mediocrity. Aside from the football on display, one of the reasons I've stopped going is because I was p***ing too many folk off who sat near me by dishing out a few heartfelt expletives at the latest dirge-filled Hibs performance. Fair dos, I can go OTT at times, but I couldn't just sit there and take that p**h on the pitch. I guess when your first introduction to Hibs came when Stanton and Cropley were still in the team you should maybe just accept it's all going to be downhill from there.

First Team Breakthrough RigRoars's Avatar
    No,i'm still looking forward to it.

We need to give Yogi a chance,the seasons not even started yet ffs.

I think a lot of these Yogi doubters/bashers are going to end up looking rather foolish as the season plays out

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1875 View Post
    why is it that if someone posts something that isnt exactly correct people start to call him a yam, yam clown etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    No offence, but I think it's the 'live in hope' mentality that is the problem with most Hibs fans. 'Living in hope' gets you a paltry three League Cups in 60 odd years. If the fans tried to raise the bar a bit instead of shrugging their shoulders and muttering 'typical Hibs' we might actually have a team which aspires to more than mediocrity. Aside from the football on display, one of the reasons I've stopped going is because I was p***ing too many folk off who sat near me by dishing out a few heartfelt expletives at the latest dirge-filled Hibs performance. Fair dos, I can go OTT at times, but I couldn't just sit there and take that p**h on the pitch. I guess when your first introduction to Hibs came when Stanton and Cropley were still in the team you should maybe just accept it's all going to be downhill from there.
    If you want to go back 60 odds years you might find a couple of Leagues in there as well. At least give it half a dozen League games into the season before jumping off that bridge.

First Team Regular H1bs6H3arts2 FC's Avatar
    yer full of wind n pish !!!

get that vally script sorted a the docs mate !!!

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Depressed is probably too strong a word to use at this early stage. A word that could be used if yesterday we were playing in a competitive game such as a league game, Scottish Cup Final;, "Diddy" Cup Final etc. Yesterday was a friendly and although I would have been much happier today if we had won I'm far from being depressed.

At the age of 29 you probably have a better chance of seeing Hibs win the Scottish Cup than a large percentage of posters on this messageboard. If you want to discuss depression then bring it on.
    Point taken, though winning the Scottish Cup is not the be all and end all for me as a Hibs fan. I'd far rather watch a team which finished consistently high up the league playing attractive football.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    If you want to go back 60 odds years you might find a couple of Leagues in there as well. At least give it half a dozen League games into the season before jumping off that bridge.
    Also a couple of Dryborough Cups.

P.S. Remember it being paraded around Easter Road during a midweek game in what was no more that a glorified wheelbarrow if I mind correctly. I know it was a proper diddy cup but you would think that the sponsors name would be spelt correctly. The wording on the "wheelbarrow" was Dryburgh - I think.

Not depressed.

Although I can only judge from the online video highlights and reports I think Hibs will try to play better football than last season but our results might not reflect this because I cannot see out current midfield lineup controlling many games. I think we will see quite a few great linkup moves from the Zemmama, Riordan and 'occasionally' others and we should see a few cracking goals, but I fear as it stands we will find ourselves defending rather a lot, dependiong on quick counter attacks.

Fact is, whatever the merits of Fletcher and Jones, we have not replaced them with players of equal ability so they must be missed, which will only highlight our other deficiencies.

However, things should solidify once Murray returns and I would welcome the return of Benji. He would just give us more options and I feel convinced that if he did return Hughes could get him in the right frame of mind. Highly improbable I know, but still seems like a decent player without having to pay a transfer fee. Even if it was just for a good half season and Hibs could then sell him on and perhaps pick up a little more cash. And ano0ther reason why I think the return of Benji a decent move is I don't feel Hughes will be allocated the resources to sign any new players that would be an obvious improvement to our squad.

But as I said, I expect improved football without better results.

First Team Breakthrough scottp1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee78
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I am looking forward to it.
    yep looking forward to it. usual pre-season optimism for me, certainly more optimistic than last season

I think it would fair to say that things are not great at the minute, but I found the defeat to Shamrock Rovers much more worrying. I still don't think Yogi has his first 11 sorted out and to be fair to him at this stage that's alright.

We could suffer heavy defeats at Blackburn and Bolton, but by the time we have a competitive game I expect Yogi to have his team and tactics sorted.

That said some things are obvious; Nish is not a target man and cannot play as a lone striker, Bamba is a bomb scare as a central defender and a much better holding midfielder, DVZ is no more than a squad player, McBride and Rankin need to be stronger and are really only squad players and finally we need a keeper who can organise the back four.

Not depressed but a little nervous.

We need new blood, as follows IMHO:

1) A RB (DVZ is not the answer and McCann isn't ready)

2) Another CH - Left sided preferably as IM would IMHO be better in midfield than Rankin or McBride.

3) A striker. Nish not consistent enough. JJ best as a partner and not centre of 3 up front (assuming Deeks and Zemamma play wide)

And

4) A creative CM. We are too 'samey' with Cregg, Rankin and McBride.

I really feel its all 4 too - not just 3 and defo not just two of these. Failure to do so will add to my nervousness...

A bit apprehensive after watching yesterdays match.
    I think Yogi will have to wield the axe a bit more between now, and Jan, still to much deadwood IMO we have 6,7 players the rest we have to make do with and do as best we can .
    Is the youth going to step up to the plate , I hope so, if 2 or 3 got up to the mark it would be a huge bonus ,and a big ask of these young players .
    Its a long term thing 3, 4 seasons so its time to knuckle down and support the players and Yogi through the big changes that will have to happen .
    No pain no gain comes to mind .
    Replacements for Jones and Fletch plus 1 or 2 others and I think we wont be to badly off , whether Yogi can get us 3rd place at his first attempt will be interesting.
    I would imagine there will be some ducking and diving in the transfer market before the start of the season ,so lets just wait till the end of the transfer window and see who we end up with .

GGTTH

I thought we were OK in the first half yesterday and had quite a few attempts on goal ( mostly Deeks ) but came up against an excellent keeper.

The three things which were most noticable to me were:

1) At times we tried too many passes in tight areas instead of looking to spread the play.

2) It was pretty alarming how soft the 2nd and 3rd PNE goals were, with the defense posted missing at both. Not bothered about the first one coz that was an individual error and can happen to any player no matter how good.

3) The inability of our forwards and midfield to find or make space to play the passing game. Too many times, in the 2nd half especially, they didnt move the ball quickly enough and there wasnt enough movement in the last 3rd.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 02-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    We played the two fullbacks far too far forward. Maka had the choice of lumping it up the park or playing it to the two in front of him. So most moves were started through the middle. Their Midfield had our full backs that had pushed forward marked fairly tightly ( Although they could have left DVZ alone as he will never make a footballer in the memory of man). So we had few options when it came to passing. The way the PNE midfield pressed, we were panicked into a pass, with few viable options.

So we very rarely got the width or the penetration on the flanks I think Yogi was trying to acheive. As Bovril mentioned two of the goals were a direct result of that positioning. I was amazed that Yogi persisted with this the entire game as it was fairly obvious what was likely to happen. The number of times we were left 2 on 2 at the back or even outnumbered was unbelievable.So tactically naiveity was partially to blame for the defeat in my book.

We had one of the best midfielders in Scotland last season in Bamba, by moving him to Centre Back not only weakens that position but makes Bamba less of a player ( He was good yesterday, the mistake aside).

I would say worried about the season ahead. If we make no further signings, it is going to be a long long haul. I know Yogi wants to play the passing game, on the Shamrock game and yesterday's evidence I think he has the tactics slightly wrong and I really do not think he has the personnel to carry it off.

RB, CB, LB another creative midfielder and a forward are desperately required.

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    I'm looking forward to the new season...

Missed yesterdays game but what I saw at Dunfermline impressed me

We shouldn't read too much into the Preston game....bearing in mind they just missed out on the Premiership and their season starts next saturday

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G19 View Post
    I'm looking forward to the new season...

Missed yesterdays game but what I saw at Dunfermline impressed me

We shouldn't read too much into the Preston game....bearing in mind they just missed out on the Premiership and their season starts next saturday
    I didn't think PNE were that great yesterday tbh. They worked hard and pressed hard in the midfield. We were restricted to longer range efforts so never really got in and around the defence, but we were playing woth Nish so that may explain it. We did push their defence a little when we brought on Byrne and Galbraith. We lost the game with an individual error in defence and two goals through suicidal defending.

But they did not look great, a better team would have destroyed our defence in the 1st half.

So I would read a quite a bit into yesterdays game.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    If we toil at home against St Mirren I'll be worried, but I must say right now I am not particularly looking forward to the new term and I don't have much of an appetite at all for it. Probably because Scottish football is pish in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    Good post. That pretty much sums it up for me too. I'll always be a Hibs fan but I'm not planning to pay to watch them any time soon.
    Good, stay away, will give me more chance of getting a ticket to the Rangers & Yam games when I'm in Edinburgh for Christmas

@hibs.net private member
    Definately not depressed although having watched the last 2 games I'll be concerned if I don't see a couple of good signings in before the end of the window.

If Zemama and Deeks are out we'll look very ordinary indeed IMO. Also the defence needs stiffening with RB & CB being the priorities. That said any new additions need to cut the mustard - we have plenty enough squad men to be going on with.

Definately not depressed.

In Tony Mowbrays 1st season we lost to a just relegated Leeds 3-1 in preseason..and that turned into our best season in years. Lets hope for a repeat!

Roll on the new season