hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Should two people of the same sex, be allowed to marry?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, anyone should have the right to marry whoever they want

    57 66.28%
  • No, marriage should only be between a man and a woman

    29 33.72%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 110
  1. #1
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189

    Same sex marriage/civil unions

    Should marriage/civil union between two people of the same sex, be allowed?
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Yes why not! If two people want to make an oath to each other because they love each other, then that can only be a good thing surely.

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due capitals_finest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    3,182
    I voted no but tbf i don't really care as long as they don't have the right to adopt children.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due hibsdaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    2,648
    tbh i think the poll is a bit skewed by the use only of the word "marriage" which i think has religious connotations to many people. if religious people are against "gay marriage" then thats up to them and i couldn't care less.

    but i don't see why people would be against gay civil union though, it just legally formalises something which already exists, just strikes me as a bit of denial on the part of those who are against it.

    i would go as far as saying that if you're against gay civil union then you must be against homosexuality full stop happy to be proved wrong though

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes why not! If two people want to make an oath to each other because they love each other, then that can only be a good thing surely.
    Absolutely!

  7. #6
    Testimonial Due Hibee-Bongo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,876
    Ofcourse! What difference does it make to anybody?

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff AllyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London via Peebles
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,836
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: eggbocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes why not! If two people want to make an oath to each other because they love each other, then that can only be a good thing surely.
    Agreed.

  9. #8
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    It is something that I am personally against. I am certainly strongly of the belief that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. I don't have such strong opposition to civil unions, but even then, I would still tend to hold a sceptical view.

    I also reject the view that if you're against civil unions for same sex couples, then you're against homosexuals. I have nothing at all against homosexuals as individual people, but I am opposed to certain issues related to homosexuality.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  10. #9
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely!












  11. #10
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is something that I am personally against. I am certainly strongly of the belief that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. I don't have such strong opposition to civil unions, but even then, I would still tend to hold a sceptical view.

    I also reject the view that if you're against civil unions for same sex couples, then you're against homosexuals. I have nothing at all against homosexuals as individual people, but I am opposed to certain issues related to homosexuality.
    Would interest me what those issues are FH?

  12. #11
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would interest me what those issues are FH?
    Although I don't believe it is anyone's business what goes on behind closed doors between two consenting adults, I am personally against homosexual sex. And, i've pointed out in another thread that I am opposed to egg/sperm donations being made to allow homosexual couples to become parents.

    And i've already said on this thread, that I am opposed to same sex marriage.

    I do not consider myself to be homophobic. I strongly oppose homosexuals being discriminated against in the workplace and they have the right to live in peace and without being targetted by yobs.

    It's not the act of being homosexual that I am against, as I am fully aware that it is not something that you choose to be. I am just opposed to one or two issues connected with the homosexual lifestyle.

    PS-This is my 8,000th post!
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  13. #12
    Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, N.B.
    Posts
    23,488
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by capitals_finest View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted no but tbf i don't really care as long as they don't have the right to adopt children.
    So it'll be all right, as long as they don't marry?

  14. #13
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although I don't believe it is anyone's business what goes on behind closed doors between two consenting adults, I am personally against homosexual sex. And, i've pointed out in another thread that I am opposed to egg/sperm donations being made to allow homosexual couples to become parents.

    And i've already said on this thread, that I am opposed to same sex marriage.

    I do not consider myself to be homophobic. I strongly oppose homosexuals being discriminated against in the workplace and they have the right to live in peace and without being targetted by yobs.

    It's not the act of being homosexual that I am against, as I am fully aware that it is not something that you choose to be. I am just opposed to one or two issues connected with the homosexual lifestyle.

    PS-This is my 8,000th post!
    Me neither FH, but I sometimes have an exaggerated and illogical cringe if I see two blokes kissing for example. This puts the phobia in Homophobic so I guess I am just a little bit even though it contradicts all my principles

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff Lucius Apuleius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In the west travelling east.
    Age
    62
    Posts
    10,615
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me neither FH, but I sometimes have an exaggerated and illogical cringe if I see two blokes kissing for example. This puts the phobia in Homophobic so I guess I am just a little bit even though it contradicts all my principles
    Strange that eh?? Yet I have nothing agaisnst watching two burdz winching. Cannot understand it. Maybe something Freudian

  16. #15
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonTurnbull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strange that eh?? Yet I have nothing agaisnst watching two burdz winching. Cannot understand it. Maybe something Freudian
    Males are voyeuristic by nature and what a voyeur tends to do is imagine he's taking part in what he's watching in some form or another.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although I don't believe it is anyone's business what goes on behind closed doors between two consenting adults, I am personally against homosexual sex. And, i've pointed out in another thread that I am opposed to egg/sperm donations being made to allow homosexual couples to become parents.

    And i've already said on this thread, that I am opposed to same sex marriage.

    I do not consider myself to be homophobic. I strongly oppose homosexuals being discriminated against in the workplace and they have the right to live in peace and without being targetted by yobs.

    It's not the act of being homosexual that I am against, as I am fully aware that it is not something that you choose to be. I am just opposed to one or two issues connected with the homosexual lifestyle.

    PS-This is my 8,000th post!

    Homosexuals are just people Falkirk - like me and you. They have every right to live their lives without discrimination and if they want to have a civil marraige then why should we think we have the right to 'not allow it'?

    I wonder if you really know what a homosexual lifestyle really is - is there a stereotype? I think they would all be as different as a heterosexual lifestyle.

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Antwerp
    Posts
    8,313
    I voted yes: marriage is but a piece of paper that makes a relationship formal. Homosexuals are likely to have relationships anyway so what difference does a wedding certificate make?

    I am however against gay adoption as I believe a family is Mum, Dad child. Having said that some homosexuals I would imagine would be quite an improvement on some "traditional" parents.

  19. #18
    Testimonial Due capitals_finest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it'll be all right, as long as they don't marry?
    I have nothing against gays and lesbians. I was always a bit homophobic when i was younger but i have been introduced to some gay people in the last year or so and get on great with them. They have really changed my views on gay people so i m a better person for it. However i think it's important that a child has a close mother figure and a close father figure when growing up. This is the only reason i m against it.

  20. #19
    any half way to decent person should support civil partnership. the point isnt about what individuals think is ok... the real question is about wether government should be allowed to bar people from entering a union. with no offence meant to FH i fail to see why your personal objections should stand in the way of allowing other people to enter a partnership...

  21. #20
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberni-mum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Homosexuals are just people Falkirk - like me and you. They have every right to live their lives without discrimination and if they want to have a civil marraige then why should we think we have the right to 'not allow it'?

    I wonder if you really know what a homosexual lifestyle really is - is there a stereotype? I think they would all be as different as a heterosexual lifestyle.
    When I said I have one or two issues with the homosexual "lifestyle", I mean homosexual sex, same sex marriage and same sex parenting. That is all.

    I totally agree that they have the right to be free of discrimination, in terms of employment and they certainly have the right to be free of harrassment.

    With marriage though, I do believe that should only take place between a man and a woman.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I said I have one or two issues with the homosexual "lifestyle", I mean homosexual sex, same sex marriage and same sex parenting. That is all.

    I totally agree that they have the right to be free of discrimination, in terms of employment and they certainly have the right to be free of harrassment.

    With marriage though, I do believe that should only take place between a man and a woman.
    Then I think you are homophobic - you dislike everything about them apart from the fact that they work?

    Like I said before - I cant see how heterosexuals have the right to 'not allow' homosexuals to do something as simple as get married! What difference is a piece of paper? They are still going to live together and have sex.
    Last edited by Mrs. S; 04-02-2009 at 08:28 AM.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I said I have one or two issues with the homosexual "lifestyle", I mean homosexual sex, same sex marriage and same sex parenting. That is all.

    I totally agree that they have the right to be free of discrimination, in terms of employment and they certainly have the right to be free of harrassment.

    With marriage though, I do believe that should only take place between a man and a woman.
    Why do you actually care if homosexuals are engaging in sex? I don't understand why that would bother you unless it was happening on your front lawn?

    Same with marriage, why would someone else's marriage bother you in any way?

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due SlickShoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lausanne
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,705
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I said I have one or two issues with the homosexual "lifestyle", I mean homosexual sex, same sex marriage and same sex parenting. That is all.

    I totally agree that they have the right to be free of discrimination, in terms of employment and they certainly have the right to be free of harrassment.

    With marriage though, I do believe that should only take place between a man and a woman.
    Regarding homosexual sex, what is it you have against it? If two people consent to have sexual relations with eachother surely thats the end of the matter?

    What aspect of there sex would affect you?

  25. #24
    First Team Regular Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    838
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: HOUSEkid
    Why should gay people not be allowed to marry or get a civil partnership?

    When a couple (hetro or homo) get married / civil partnership it gives them a lot of rights they would not of had before such as:

    - property rights
    - inheritance
    - visiting rights in hostpital
    - etc etc etc.

    Also, why should you be so bothered about homosexual sex? I don't care what enyone else does with their pecker.

  26. #25
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberni-mum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then I think you are homophobic - you dislike everything about them apart from the fact that they work?

    Like I said before - I cant see how heterosexuals have the right to 'not allow' homosexuals to do something as simple as get married! What difference is a piece of paper? They are still going to live together and have sex.
    I'm not surprised at all that people think that, by it's definition then I suppose I am technically "homophobic". I just do not consider myself to be homophobic as I believe homophobia is when you outwardly hate homosexuals and go out of your way to harrass them, and possibly even worse.

    I would never dream of harrassing any homosexual person and I would condemn anyone who did. I have a distant relative who is a homosexual and he is in a relationship. I don't see him very often, as he lives in England, but when I do see him, although I disapprove of his relationship, I would never dream of being disrespectful or hurtful towards him.

    Put it this way, if I saw someone, who I knew was homosexual, getting beaten up on the street, I would go and help them without having to think twice.

    Would I do that, if I was really homophobic?

    You say that marriage is a "simple" act, I completely disagree.

    Marriage, to me, is an institution that has huge implications and responsibilities. It is not "just a piece of paper" and therefore, I believe that a marriage can, and should, only take place between a man and a woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regarding homosexual sex, what is it you have against it? If two people consent to have sexual relations with eachother surely thats the end of the matter?

    What aspect of there sex would affect you?
    I've already said that whatever two consenting adults get up to, in the privacy of their own home, is their business and their business only. I would not call for homosexuals to be banned from having sex.

    It's not a question of whether it affects me or not, it's just a personal opinion that I hold, which is that sex should only take place between two people of the opposite sex.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not surprised at all that people think that, by it's definition then I suppose I am technically "homophobic". I just do not consider myself to be homophobic as I believe homophobia is when you outwardly hate homosexuals and go out of your way to harrass them, and possibly even worse.

    I would never dream of harrassing any homosexual person and I would condemn anyone who did. I have a distant relative who is a homosexual and he is in a relationship. I don't see him very often, as he lives in England, but when I do see him, although I disapprove of his relationship, I would never dream of being disrespectful or hurtful towards him.

    Put it this way, if I saw someone, who I knew was homosexual, getting beaten up on the street, I would go and help them without having to think twice.

    Would I do that, if I was really homophobic?

    You say that marriage is a "simple" act, I completely disagree.

    Marriage, to me, is an institution that has huge implications and responsibilities. It is not "just a piece of paper" and therefore, I believe that a marriage can, and should, only take place between a man and a woman.



    I've already said that whatever two consenting adults get up to, in the privacy of their own home, is their business and their business only. I would not call for homosexuals to be banned from having sex.

    It's not a question of whether it affects me or not, it's just a personal opinion that I hold, which is that sex should only take place between two people of the opposite sex.
    I mean homophobic in antipathy of gay people or the dislike of them not the bad treatment of them.

  28. #27
    Testimonial Due SlickShoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lausanne
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,705
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I've already said that whatever two consenting adults get up to, in the privacy of their own home, is their business and their business only. I would not call for homosexuals to be banned from having sex.

    It's not a question of whether it affects me or not, it's just a personal opinion that I hold, which is that sex should only take place between two people of the opposite sex.

    You also said earlier and i quote "When I said I have one or two issues with the homosexual "lifestyle", I mean homosexual sex"

    So what issues do you have with it? Other than you think its shouldnt happen, why do you think it shouldnt happen?

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberni-mum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean homophobic in antipathy of gay people or the dislike of them not the bad treatment of them.
    But can't you see the difference between disliking the activity, in this case homosexual sex, and disliking the person?

    I personally believe that homosexual sex is wrong, and I don't like it. If I see two men, or ladies kissing, it is weird, and doesn't feel natural to me. That's not to say I dislike the person. I've got one very good friend who's gay, and when he came out, it didn't make any difference to our friendship. I don't like what he does, I don't agree with it, but I treat it the same way as I would treat a friend who is a celtic fan, or a friend who did drugs. I'd tell them how I felt about it, and then go on as normal. It doesn't change the person if they make a lifestyle choice I don't agree with.

    The charge that is always levelled at me is "you are homophobic!" I'm not, I don't like or agree with homosexual activity, but whether a person is gay or not doesn't make any difference to how I treat them or how we get on.

    Why is it ok to disagree with one lifestyle choice, like doing drugs, and not ok to disagree with another lifestyle choice, being homosexual?

    There's an old phrase which my grandfather used to say (don't know if it is from the bible or not..) "Love the sinner, hate the sin"

    That's my philosophy. (Although in this particular situation, I'm always careful that there's not too much love going round....)

  30. #29
    I have no problem with the homosexual lifestyle but understand (cant see why but know that) that others do. Surely there are different ways to look at homophobia - I take it as the dislike of all things homosexual which is what you and Falkirk are stating. Its a step further to take it to treating them badly which I susect neither of you do.
    Last edited by Mrs. S; 05-02-2009 at 04:20 PM.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    wrong end of town!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    685
    A few years ago a few of my Hibby friends had kids around the same time. After a home game we were all sitting in the pub when somebody raised the question - What would you be happier with, your son coming home and telling you he was gay OR coming home and telling you he was a Jambo. To a man it was declared that gay was the preferred option!

    FWIW - live and let live! If marriage / civil partnership will make two people happy or even just financially more secure then they should go for it.

Similar Threads

  1. PCS - Civil Servants Strike Cancelled
    By SunnyLeither in forum The Holy Ground
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved