hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    brilliant! When are BBC and STV gonna get on board?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm quite simple speechless reading the stories. And 2nd most read story on the Sun's website today, too!

We had a personal reason for doing it last year - I lost a friend I'd known since primary 1 to a brain tumour - she was only 21 and it was a big shock. I think it helps to have the motivation.

This may sound wrong (but Lawrence will know what I mean), but I'm glad we also have another personal drive/reason for doing it this year.

This really is utterly unfathomable how big this is. We had no publicity last year, struggled to get courses/interest and it passed very quietly. This is truly a monster.

Perhaps now we have the teams/courses sorted AND have media coverage of the event, it would be an idea to get in contact with Hibs and let them know our intentions, and send them copies of the stories (if there are more we can get a hold of, then great!) to highlight the background of the event.

I'm not sure what I hope to achieve from getting in contact with the club. My various ideas were:

• Programme space on Matchdays to highlight the cause to other hibby's who may wish to sponsor us/also try the event themselves?
    • Sponsor us directly?
    • Get the club shop to make our uniforms at a charitable rate?

As I've said before, I don't mind getting touch the Hibs myself, but I'm not very "old" in terms of seasons served. I feel it would be better for a long-term supporter/existing ST holder to get in touch and see what they can do?

I'm in the middle of setting up a Justgiving website, which we can use to collect donations online for the event - I had one last year and it really helped!
    I will be more than happy to contact the club on our behalf.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    I will be more than happy to contact the club on our behalf.
    Fantastic! and thank you!

I'll leave the composition of the material (letter, email, whichever you'd prefer) to you. I only ask that you include hyperlinks (or press clippings?) to the stories which are in today's papers, to highlight the background.

As an aside, I've managed a preliminary webpage for collecting donations. The text box on the right, with the bulk of the details will not let me separate into paragraph format, so it looks a bit cluttered!

Here she is though:

http://www.justgiving.com/hibsnetlongestday
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

If your name is incomplete, missing or wrong from the "members" list, please PM me your full name and I'll update it - I've had to use a lot of the "Hibs.net names" for the time being as I only have partial names!

Cheers!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    read your remarkable story in the metro this morning Houchy.

good luck, i hope everything goes well for you.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Just read your story in the Record this morning Houchy, don't know why but as soon as I glanced at the page I kind of knew it was you - you are looking well mate and I'm so glad that what you guys are doing is raising money and awareness for such a worthwhile cause.

All the best with this

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Just posted the donation link in the comments page

Thats the ball rolling my boy has just donated his pocket money

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by HouchyŽ View Post
    As some of you may or may not know, I have had quite a few dealings of late with MacMillan Cancer care and really want to give something back. I had looked at their Kilimanjaro challenge but as I'm in and out and hospital until January, decided to scale it back a bit.

Now i'm not saying this is a walk in the park (well it is really if you take it literally) but it won't be easy but I'm looking to tie up with an idea from Hibby Radge who suggested a golf outing so thought I'd see if anyone else would fancy taking part in the MacMilan Cancer Longest Day Golf Challenge.

For those of you that don't know of it, it's 4 rounds of golf in one day with sponsorship proceeds going to MacMillan Cancer. The idea is that I'll contact as many clubs in a locality as I can and ask for 2 or possibly 3 courtesy times, (3 may be pushing it but I'll try anyway with promises of newspaper coverage and therefore "free" publicity of them supporting a worthwhile cause. If I can I'll see if I can get it to finish off at Dalmahoy so we can treat ourselves to a wee jaccuzzi and steam bath.

If anybody is interested, let me know so I know how many tee times I need at each course. I'm also trying to get Scott M involved as he organised a team last year.
    Hi Houchy!

My fanatical hibby dad is the golf professional at Polkemmet and Kingsfield, Linlithgow and would be delighted to give you free lessons to brush up your game before the challenge. He dosent post on here but checks the messageboard every day. You can contact him through his website, hell be delighted to hear from you!

www.davidburnsgolf.co.uk

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Liam B View Post
    Hi Houchy!

My fanatical hibby dad is the golf professional at Polkemmet and Kingsfield, Linlithgow and would be delighted to give you free lessons to brush up your game before the challenge. He dosent post on here but checks the messageboard every day. You can contact him through his website, hell be delighted to hear from you!

www.davidburnsgolf.co.uk
    A cracking gesture Liam. Hopefully Houchy will take you up on the offer.

I wanted to post to thank those of you who have already donated through the webpage! Ł25 in the first couple of hours is a positive sign of things to come!

Hi8sry - big thanks to your young lad! Generous way to part with his pocket money!

I'm going to post a seperate thread with just the donation page attached, so folks can see it in a better "viewed" part of the website. Hopefully one of the admins will make it a sticky for us until the event passes!

Hi Houchy!

www.davidburnsgolf.co.uk
    Tell you what Liam. If I don't get down to Category 1 this year I will be up to see your old man over the winter.

Gamer IDs

There's now a thread on the main hibs.net page with a summary of the story, our aim and a link to the donation website, so it will get more publicity than being tucked away on here (which isn't 100% well viewed!).

No sign of Houchy today - wonder if he's off doing more interviews/photoshoots!

Well thats the email sent to the club, hopefully they will come back with something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    brilliant! When are BBC and STV gonna get on board?
    Liz Monaghan called me on the golf course today asking if they could do a piece for the 6 o'clock news tonight. It's on just after the sport.

I kid you not.

Hi Houchy!

www.davidburnsgolf.co.uk
    That's absolutely awesome.

I really appreciate it and after the way I played today (although it's coming back) I'll certainly take him up on it.

Thank you.

Just a wee update...Harburn will give us rolls etc before our round up there

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyScott View Post
    Just a wee update...Harburn will give us rolls etc before our round up there
    Free food, I'm in

In all seriousness, does anyone that's taking part have any issues with playing Harburn in place of Turnhouse?

Free food, I'm in

In all seriousness, does anyone that's taking part have any issues with playing Harburn in place of Turnhouse?
    I don't, do think it'll be easier to do Harburn - Dalmahoy rather than Turnhouse - Dalmahoy at that time of night

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    There's now a thread on the main hibs.net page with a summary of the story, our aim and a link to the donation website, so it will get more publicity than being tucked away on here (which isn't 100% well viewed!).
    No sign of Houchy today - wonder if he's off doing more interviews/photoshoots!
    Scott you beat me to it

Logged on at work today and that very idea popped into my head - but you beat me to it.

There is a school of thought that the stickies tend to get ignored but I'll look into it if you all prefer it to be done.

Edit.............stuck now.
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 03-04-2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

One of my mates from uni has just donated Ł10 to the effort

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    As some of you may or may not know, I have had quite a few dealings of late with MacMillan Cancer care and really want to give something back. I had looked at their Kilimanjaro challenge but as I'm in and out and hospital until January, decided to scale it back a bit.

Now i'm not saying this is a walk in the park (well it is really if you take it literally) but it won't be easy but I'm looking to tie up with an idea from Hibby Radge who suggested a golf outing so thought I'd see if anyone else would fancy taking part in the MacMilan Cancer Longest Day Golf Challenge.

For those of you that don't know of it, it's 4 rounds of golf in one day with sponsorship proceeds going to MacMillan Cancer. The idea is that I'll contact as many clubs in a locality as I can and ask for 2 or possibly 3 courtesy times, (3 may be pushing it but I'll try anyway with promises of newspaper coverage and therefore "free" publicity of them supporting a worthwhile cause. If I can I'll see if I can get it to finish off at Dalmahoy so we can treat ourselves to a wee jaccuzzi and steam bath.

If anybody is interested, let me know so I know how many tee times I need at each course. I'm also trying to get Scott M involved as he organised a team last year.
    Alright mate , this is a great thing you are doing for macmillan , haven't had any time to read all of this thread but if there is any chance you could get a couple of sponsorship forms to me everyone in the fire station were willing to throw a bit of cash your way . PM me or if your still on the same mobile number i will give you a wee call . All the best . W
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

Gamer IDs

Free food, I'm in

Hey Houch,

I think opting for Harburn is the best option to be honest - they seem to be going well out their way to accommodate us and I imagine it will be easier to get to Dalmahoy at the end of it.

Turnhouse shouldn't go unmentioned when we get to the post-event press release though (which is usually compulsory to update everyone on how we done!) - its just a shame the timings haven't worked out - their offer is still generous!

And now be honest - how many takes did it take for the STV film crew to catch you sinking that putt

Your work in the last few days has been nothing short of amazing. Keep it up!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Hey Houch,

I think opting for Harburn is the best option to be honest - they seem to be going well out their way to accommodate us and I imagine it will be easier to get to Dalmahoy at the end of it.

Turnhouse shouldn't go unmentioned when we get to the post-event press release though (which is usually compulsory to update everyone on how we done!) - its just a shame the timings haven't worked out - their offer is still generous!

And now be honest - how many takes did it take for the STV film crew to catch you sinking that putt

I missed that is there a link anywhere to see it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I missed that is there a link anywhere to see it.
    http://video.stv.tv/bc/stv-news-at-s...tral-20090403/

27 mins in
    Last edited by H18sry; 04-04-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Liz Monaghan called me on the golf course today asking if they could do a piece for the 6 o'clock news tonight. It's on just after the sport.

I kid you not.
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Brilliant. Shirt sleeve weather too. Its a good job they didn't film it today

Hey Houch,

It was only an 8 foot putt but kept on taking a bobble left or right. It actually took 8 or 9 takes but then they threw a ball down about 20ft away just to get the face shot and I canned it first time, hence the laughing.

It was actually the bunker shot that was the best laugh. I thinned it about 20yards over the back but they just lobbed one onto the green underhand. They made me look like Tiger.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    It was only an 8 foot putt but kept on taking a bobble left or right. It actually took 8 or 9 takes but then they threw a ball down about 20ft away just to get the face shot and I canned it first time, hence the laughing.

It was actually the bunker shot that was the best laugh. I thinned it about 20yards over the back but they just lobbed one onto the green underhand. They made me look like Tiger.
    just about to watch your efforts on the news (and see how good you are) just wanted to say what you have been doing the last few days has been magic and very very inspiring im really glad to be involved anything more i could be doing just let me know
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Will there be an opportunity for a bucket collection at ER, maybe at the last home game of the season?

I don't know how much organizing that would take, but I bet it would raise awareness and a good few pounds for the cause.

Another idea migth be to take advantage of these social networking sites, set up a facebook group to try and raise more awareness.