hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowls

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cannae wait for the season tae start tbh ...i had a crap year last wi the obvious exception o the Northern BC v hibs.net challenge.....bring it on Burnsie !!!
    Exact opposite for me, best year ever on the green and have decided to represent the club in the SBA pairs next year, rather than the triples.

Presently, the main hall in the Northern is going through further refurbishments. New seating has already been installed and a brand new dance floor is virtually laid now, so it should be looking absolutely top notch for next year.

I believe the green edges are being lifted as they were beginning to drop, so by the time next season comes around, everything should be looking good.

Bring on the for another thrashing.

Over 65's welcome

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie07 View Post
    Exact opposite for me, best year ever on the green and have decided to represent the club in the SBA pairs next year, rather than the triples.

Presently, the main hall in the Northern is going through further refurbishments. New seating has already been installed and a brand new dance floor is virtually laid now, so it should be looking absolutely top notch for next year.

I believe the green edges are being lifted as they were beginning to drop, so by the time next season comes around, everything should be looking good.

Over 65's welcome
    I think its great they let you play, even though you're only 49

Over 65's welcome
    Choose yer words carefully Mike ........we hope to have a couple o new "recruits" for next year ..cannae remember who they are though ...

Excellent stuff regarding yer refurb mate..Northern def seems to be a club on the up ...Compared to Fat-Stu's club closing & the Jewel's future shrouded in uncertainty...

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Yep, i think youre right. Under 65s play marbles, over 65s move onto to bowls. I prefer the bingo myself.
    It's strange that the people who have this impression are those who have never tried it, or maybe have tried it and simply cannae play the game
    Last edited by MB62; 03-12-2008 at 08:49 AM.

It's strange that the people who have this impression aer those who have never tried it, or maybe have tried it and simply cannae play the game
    The guy said he prefers bingo, brave for admitting that so credit where its due....

The guy said he prefers bingo, brave for admitting that so credit where its due....
    Bingo is the new rock n roll

Aye ..whatever floats yer boat mate ...crack on ...

Join a bowling, we have regular bingo sessions, best of both worlds eh!

Join a bowling, we have regular bingo sessions, best of both worlds eh!
    Thats double the fun

Always wondered what the case was wi the bowls mate, some players use custom made bowls so i would assume they have to use a bowl thats as near as possible to the one they normally use ...
    Guys like Tattie, Foster etc and probably all of the world top 16 will own numerous sets of bowls. These guys play both indoor and outdoor around the world almost non stop every year. The bowls they use will be dependent on the surface they are playing on.

Bearing in mind its the same portable rink used for most of the big tournaments shown on the Beeb therefore they all know how it plays. They are most definately using their own bowls in any tournament you watch on TV.

Bit help needed guys, looking to get a new set of bowls for next season. I want the blue yellow speckled bowls here http://www.drakespride.co.uk/Pages/lawn/coloured.htm# however I can't find them on any online store. Does anywhere know where I can get them or will I have to settle for orange taylors.

On another note the do green yellow speckled ones(taylor) however i can only find them in oz they look well nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Stu View Post
    Bit help needed guys, looking to get a new set of bowls for next season. I want the blue yellow speckled bowls here http://www.drakespride.co.uk/Pages/lawn/coloured.htm# however I can't find them on any online store. Does anywhere know where I can get them or will I have to settle for orange taylors.

On another note the do green yellow speckled ones(taylor) however i can only find them in oz they look well nice.
    This place..

http://www.bowlsworld.co.uk/acatalog...owls.html#A242

seem to sell the ones you fancy (12 week delivery as they have to be made up for you).

First Team Breakthrough
    That is bad news, another bowling club going out the game?
    Why no Esk League, what happened there? or do you mean you will not be playing in the Esk League because the Jewel has packed in?

There's always the Northern if you want to play top class bowls

East Lothian is the place to be......

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    This place..

http://www.bowlsworld.co.uk/acatalog...owls.html#A242

seem to sell the ones you fancy (12 week delivery as they have to be made up for you).
    they've only got the 2 tone blue speckled ones, i want the blue ones with yellow speckles. Also saw white bowls which i'm considering http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6095/img01433oj9.jpg.

Stu,

Should it not be more about how they play rather than how they look?..

however I do think the grey Granite effect ones look cool!

I have 2 sets, both Henselites (Classics and my newer Classic 2's)...both boring (and cheaper!) black..

Everyone tells me that the Classic 2's are "much" straighter than my old yins, but I personally don't see much difference (and I have been known to practice with both sets at once -saves a lazy B like me some walking!).

On a rink that hasn't been played already that day and you can still see the track marks the bowls leave the difference between the lines each bowl takes is minute if anything at all!

I think you need to try bowls before you buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    Stu,

Should it not be more about how they play rather than how they look?..

however I do think the grey Granite effect ones look cool!

I have 2 sets, both Henselites (Classics and my newer Classic 2's)...both boring (and cheaper!) black..

Everyone tells me that the Classic 2's are "much" straighter than my old yins, but I personally don't see much difference (and I have been known to practice with both sets at once -saves a lazy B like me some walking!).

On a rink that hasn't been played already that day and you can still see the track marks the bowls leave the difference between the lines each bowl takes is minute if anything at all!

I think you need to try bowls before you buy them.
    Your probably right, thing is I had a set of size 4's Almark Sterlings which were too big but a good bowl. Fine in the dry but couldn't grip them when there was any sort of moisture on my hands or the bowl.

I reverted to my size 2's from my time as junior a couple of years ago whilst still a good bowl i've ****ed them up driving, chips, scratched and a nice white line in one when i pinged a rink marker, they were second hand anyway and weren't in the greatest nick..

looking at vectors or a similiar straightish bowl as I have generally played lead(and hopefully will continue to do so). Just fancy a change of colour(from my previous black and brown ones) and the Blue yellow ones look very nice. I can get the white ones or white with red speckled but have to wait til april and I need to pre-order them.

Just showing my immaturity I think i wanting something a bit different as I was going to get the pink ones but the missus has quickly and easily talked me out of that. Don't want the normal blue/red or geen either, want something that i haven't seen before.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Your probably right, thing is I had a set of size 4's Almark Sterlings which were too big but a good bowl. Fine in the dry but couldn't grip them when there was any sort of moisture on my hands or the bowl.

I reverted to my size 2's from my time as junior a couple of years ago whilst still a good bowl i've ****ed them up driving, chips, scratched and a nice white line in one when i pinged a rink marker, they were second hand anyway and weren't in the greatest nick..

looking at vectors or a similiar straightish bowl as I have generally played lead(and hopefully will continue to do so). Just fancy a change of colour(from my previous black and brown ones) and the Blue yellow ones look very nice. I can get the white ones or white with red speckled but have to wait til april and I need to pre-order them.

Just showing my immaturity I think i wanting something a bit different as I was going to get the pink ones but the missus has quickly and easily talked me out of that. Don't want the normal blue/red or geen either, want something that i haven't seen before.

Up to you Stu mate but I think having coloured bowls would put me off (I get very religious/ superstitious in the bowls I play with). I play with bog standard henselites which are perfect. Always played with the same kind albeit my other set are a size smaller (4's).

Certainly plenty of choice these days both colour and bias. If you predominately play at the front end then straighter bowls may be an idea but at the end of the day it's how you play with them.

Make sure if you get coloured bowls that you play well. Because if not everyone is going to quickly realise which bowls looked like they have been dropped by parachute

Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    Make sure if you get coloured bowls that you play well. Because if not everyone is going to quickly realise which bowls looked like they have been dropped by parachute
    Like the big yellow melons that one of the guys from the Edinburgh Club played with

Only 10 weeks on Saturday until the new season

Like the big yellow melons that one of the guys from the Edinburgh Club played with

We have an EGM on Sat...gonna be some aggro i can tell ye !!!

Aye neils a 2 time champ so he could get away with it though.

Aye neils a 2 time champ so he could get away with it though.
    That certainly helps right enough

Must admit he played well against us in the first game of last season. Didn't personally play against Neil but he always looked in the area (although that might just have been the eye catching factor of those b100dy big melons )

We have an EGM on Sat...gonna be some aggro i can tell ye !!!
    An EGM before your AGM?
    Must be serious indeed.

Is it the Jewel you are a member of again?

An EGM before your AGM?
    Must be serious indeed.

Is it the Jewel you are a member of again?
    Tis the Jewel Mike ...aye an EGM ..i think they are gonna have one more attempt at electing a bowling commitee..if successful then the obvious AGM will follow ...i wont however build my hopes up ..

I was along the club on Sunday & spoke to a former commitee member & he says there is still a strong possibility of the Esk league team playing all their home games away from the Jewel ...if that is the case then i wont be playing ...

Well ...we will be playing in the Scottish ....we will be playing home games at the Jewel (Esk league)...but we dont have a comittee....we have guys willing to chip in ...

Sad ..sad ..83 years o bowling ..dying a death ..

Well ...we will be playing in the Scottish ....we will be playing home games at the Jewel (Esk league)...but we dont have a comittee....we have guys willing to chip in ...

Sad ..sad ..83 years o bowling ..dying a death ..
    It seems a wee bit more encouraging than before though, at least you have some sort of a club for now.
    The big problem for almost every club is getting people interested in playing the game, it has been slowly dying a death for around 10 years now.
    I think what we need is somebody to invent the game on to a Wii or whatever, and get folk playing it there first, then hopefully get them interested in the real thing

Good luck for the coming season, I think we will ALL need it.

It seems a wee bit more encouraging than before though, at least you have some sort of a club for now.
    The big problem for almost every club is getting people interested in playing the game, it has been slowly dying a death for around 10 years now.
    I think what we need is somebody to invent the game on to a Wii or whatever, and get folk playing it there first, then hopefully get them interested in the real thing

Good luck for the coming season, I think we will ALL need it.
    All true Mike ..no looking too good but as you say we have bowls ...i can honestly see our membership dropping to 40 or 50 this year compared to over 100 a couple o years back ...being a social club & not a bowling club does not help ..we just cant attract bowlers now ..

Countdown to opening day at Dalkeith B.C. on Saturday, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by James Connolly View Post
    Countdown to opening day at Dalkeith B.C. on Saturday, can't wait!
    Ah, but have you got your name down for the BIG game in June when the minnows from the Hibs.net take on the mighty Northern B.C. Hibees?

Ah, but have you got your name down for the BIG game in June when the minnows from the Hibs.net take on the mighty Northern B.C. Hibees?
    Myself & another Dalkeith member who posts on here, were looking forward to it; but our club is running one of the single hand tournaments on the same day.

I'm sure there will be enough talent on show, for Hibs.net to exact revenge this year!

Quote Originally Posted by James Connolly View Post
    Myself & another Dalkeith member who posts on here, were looking forward to it; but our club is running one of the single hand tournaments on the same day.

I'm sure there will be enough talent on show, for Hibs.net to exact revenge this year!
    Pity James would have been good to have had you there mate.....hopefully next year ....can i just say to James (i will be up your green later in the season in the Esk) & others ...good luck & all the best in tournaments/leagues this season....