hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rugby League World Cup

Kicks off on Saturday morning with England v Papua New Guinea at 10:00am on SKY.

Anyone else going to be following it.

Pretty much a stick on that Australia will win it, but Scotland have some decent NRL players in the team as well as Colin Calderwood from Wigan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spamheid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kicks off on Saturday morning with England v Papua New Guinea at 10:00am on SKY.

Pretty much a stick on that Australia will win it, but Scotland have some decent NRL players in the team as well as Colin Calderwood from Wigan.
    I see Scotland have Michael Robertson on board as well. He scored a hat trick for Manly in the NRL Grand Final a few weeks ago. He was close to getting picked for Australia so we are lucky to have him

I read through the Aussie squad the other day, no one is going to come close to matching them

Don't you mean Mark Calderwood? Colin Calderwood is the Nottm Forest manager

England just gone 6-0 up, PNG are letting themselves down their poor discipline though both sides are going for some incredible offloads.

PNG just forced England's second drop out of the game, Gene is having a decent game at stand off.

@hibs.net private member
    Am I right in saying that teams qualify from one group and one team from the other group? Is it all designed to make sure England, NZ and Australia are in the semi final? Seems a bit farcical to me - they'd have been as well going straight to the semi finals.

PNG are there as cannon fodder for the big guns.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Looks like England are going to take this one now, after PNG winning at HT.

Not sure if ill bother egtting up early for teh scotland game How good are we at R. League? I didnt even know we had a team, thought we were more R. union.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Looks like England are going to take this one now, after PNG winning at HT.

Not sure if ill bother egtting up early for teh scotland game How good are we at R. League? I didnt even know we had a team, thought we were more R. union.
    Not very good. I think last time we had a team of New Zealanders who weren't good enough for NZ so picked Scotland.

Noone plays the game in Scotland - there was an amateur league for a couple of seasons a few years back (I played in it) but the standard was pretty shan.

First Team Regular Sproule Three's Avatar
    I am off to Canberra tomorrow morning to watch Scotland play. Can't imagine hearing too many Scottish accents amongst the team but will enjoy myself anyway in a haze of alcohol consumption .
    Not much to enjoy in Canberra otherwise though

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Don't you mean Mark Calderwood? Colin Calderwood is the Nottm Forest manager
    Ooops aye, I meant Mark

Good stuff from PNG today. Here's hoping Scotland can do something tomorrow.

Even with Scotland playing i struggled to watch this today, uncontested scrums, etc, doesn't seem to be any skill involved, just isn't rugby in my books

Quote Originally Posted by forthhibby View Post
    Even with Scotland playing i struggled to watch this today, uncontested scrums, etc, doesn't seem to be any skill involved, just isn't rugby in my books
    The scrums in Rugby League are pointless in my view. The ball is put in and comes straight back out to the team with the put in I have never seen one go the opposite way.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Im glad im not the only one who doesnt understand the scrums, it just gets rolled straight to the back and out, they never try to push forward.

The only possible advantage to them is trying to suck in players and create more space = more trys.

also, can someone tell me - is there a rule that says when your teammate gets tackled you arent allowed to help out and try to drive the attack on? Its something ive noticed that never happens.

EDIT: I mean tackled and not on the floor, still standing.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Has anyone ever been to a game live? I went to Tiny when Wigan played London (I think) about 6 or 7 years ago - it was like watching a massive game of British Bulldogs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Im glad im not the only one who doesnt understand the scrums, it just gets rolled straight to the back and out, they never try to push forward.

The only possible advantage to them is trying to suck in players and create more space = more trys.

also, can someone tell me - is there a rule that says when your teammate gets tackled you arent allowed to help out and try to drive the attack on? Its something ive noticed that never happens.

EDIT: I mean tackled and not on the floor, still standing.
    I think that as soon as you're held that's classed as a tackle so noone can drive you on. That would be too much like proper Rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I think that as soon as you're held that's classed as a tackle so noone can drive you on. That would be too much like proper Rugby.
    Sort of correct, if the referee calls it as a complete tackle then that's it and you have to play the ball.

If there is momentum invovled, then you can be driven to the sidelines (or forward \ backward) but this rarely happens when I've watched the game.

All that could be codswallap though

I like League. It's non confusing (apart from the scrums!), physical and always on the go unlike Union, where you could spend 5 minutes watching people set \ reset scrums and boot the ball up and down the park to each other

@hibs.net private member
    Sort of correct, if the referee calls it as a complete tackle then that's it and you have to play the ball.

If there is momentum invovled, then you can be driven to the sidelines (or forward \ backward) but this rarely happens when I've watched the game.

All that could be codswallap though

I like League. It's non confusing (apart from the scrums!), physical and always on the go unlike Union, where you could spend 5 minutes watching people set \ reset scrums and boot the ball up and down the park to each other
    It can be better to watch League on TV but live and in the flesh I was disappointed. There are about 4 or 5 players involved at any one time - the rest are standing in a line facing eachother.

I've played both and watched both live and I know which I prefer.

Thats the reasons I would give for prefering League over Union as well. The State of Origin series played in May to July in Australia are brilliant to watch.

Slightly off topic, on Setanta just now is Australia vs Ireland International Rules Test. A mixture of Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football. It was abandoned for a year because there was too much fighting the last time they played. Best behaviour so far........

It can be better to watch League on TV but live and in the flesh I was disappointed. There are about 4 or 5 players involved at any one time - the rest are standing in a line facing eachother.

I've played both and watched both live and I know which I prefer.
    That's OK, I wasn't forcing you to choose

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Has anyone ever been to a game live? I went to Tiny when Wigan played London (I think) about 6 or 7 years ago - it was like watching a massive game of British Bulldogs.
    My wife is from Yorkshire and her dad had a ST at Halifax when they were in the Super League so been to a few games against Leeds, Bradford, St Helens & Wigan. Must admit I really enjoyed it and some of the tackles made you wince - IMO those guys are a lot harder than the jessies playing union

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    My wife is from Yorkshire and her dad had a ST at Halifax when they were in the Super League so been to a few games against Leeds, Bradford, St Helens & Wigan. Must admit I really enjoyed it and some of the tackles made you wince - IMO those guys are a lot harder than the jessies playing union
    Me and my bruv used to go down the Easter game between Wigan \ St Helens and that was brilliant. Couldn't quite believe the size of Tuigamala's thighs (before he deserted to Union )

Also been to a grand final at Old Trafford which was superb too

@hibs.net private member
    Me and my bruv used to go down the Easter game between Wigan \ St Helens and that was brilliant. Couldn't quite believe the size of Tuigamala's thighs (before he deserted to Union )

Also been to a grand final at Old Trafford which was superb too
    Bear in mind he was a proper Rugby player before he chased the cash.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    ausies hammer poor engerlund 52-4 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/default.stm

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    ausies hammer poor engerlund 52-4 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/default.stm
    That was an almighty pumping and could have been worse.

No one can touch the Aussies at this game just now, they are as well just handing the trophy to them.

Truly abysmal performance this morning, but I suppose when every Super League clubs stick in foreigners as pivots then we're unlucky to be producing any quality half-backs. Very disappointing indeed, far too naive out wide but I suppose that will happen with an inexperienced Lee Smith and a generally crap Calderwood.

As for the scrum thing, it's basically just used as a means of restarting the game, although I have seen the odd one go 'against the head'. Means there's more space for the backs to work within for one tackle, at least, rather than just a tap restart.

How come Calderwood turned out for England? Did he get a call up and thought '**** Scotland'

Can anyone explain the logic behind the semi finals?

As far as I understand it, the winners of the 3 team groups go into a play off to face the winners of the 4 team group in one semi (which will be Australia)

That leaves the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the 4 team group who go directly into the other semi final? (which kinda renders the Eng v NZ clash a dead rubber as PNG won't get near Australia)

Have I got that right? Seems a bit stupid to me.

How come Calderwood turned out for England? Did he get a call up and thought '**** Scotland'

As far as I understand it, the winners of the 3 team groups go into a play off to face the winners of the 4 team group in one semi (which will be Australia)

That leaves the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the 4 team group who go directly into the other semi final? (which kinda renders the Eng v NZ clash a dead rubber as PNG won't get near Australia)

I sat and tried to work it out earlier and it confused the hell out of me too. It seems to be similar in style to the NRL and Super League play off systems, with preliminary finals and such like.

I am sure it will make more sense as they reach the later stages.

In a nutshell, yes. If he hadn't had the game of his life at Leeds in the play-offs then he wouldn't have been called up for England anyway, but the fact that he actually gets a game highlights our failure to produce any decent backs.

In a nutshell, that's how it works. Basically rules out the prospect of Australia sticking 100 points past, for example, Ireland but, there again, surely the Irish would have earned the chance, in that case? Wales gave Oz a mighty scare in the semi's in 2000 so you never know.

In a strange kind of way, it'd be hilarious to see the Ockers roll over for PNG but then again that might mean England get knocked out instead of the Kiwis!

First Team Regular Rep of Ireland Hibee's Avatar
    Ireland hammer Samoa 34-16 to win group

We playing Australia in the semi's

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rep of Ireland Hibee View Post
    Ireland hammer Samoa 34-16 to win group

We playing Australia in the semi's
    Great game this morning.

The Irish showed a hell of a lot of passion and every tackle they made or fumble by the Samoans meant so much to them. Good on them for doing so well.

Scotland got a good result against Fiji, but needed to win by a clear 28 points to qualify for the next stage. If they'd done that, they would have played Ireland. They do have a last match against Tonga to see who finishes best of the rest mind you

The way it works now, is that Ireland play Fiji on Monday (10th November) and the winner of that game plays Australia in the semi-final, which is on 16th November.

Unless Oz chuck the game against PNG, it looks like New Zealand will play England in the other semi-final, which is on the 15th November. The stupid thing is, these two teams play each other on Saturday in the last group match!!

The whole tournament is based on the three top teams - Oz, NZ & England. Hopefully Ireland do well and beat Fiji, but i don't fancy either against Oz as they're really good at the moment.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Anyone know if Wayne Kerr played for Ireland?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    just finished

ireland 14 fiji 30