hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Paralympics

Paralympics

Great Britain are second in the medal table after Day One of the Paralympic Games in Beijing. They won 7 medals in total (4 golds, 1 silver and 2 bronze).

GOLD

Simon Richardson won gold in the Cycling men's 1km time trial.

Scotland's Aileen McGlynn (who is blind) won the women's 1km time trial with her guide Ellen Hunter.

Darren Kenny beat South Korea's Yong-Sik Jin in the men's individual pursuit to win gold.

Sascha Kindred won gold in the men's 200m individual medley.

SILVER

Jim Anderson won silver in the men's 200m freestyle.

BRONZE

Matt Walker won bronze in the men's 200m individual medley.

Natalie Jones won bronze in the women's 200m individual medley.

USA lead the way with 4 golds, 2 silver and 3 bronze.

Hopefully the Paralympics can be every bit as successful as the Olympics were.

2. Log in to remove the advert

My ex Brother in Law is in the Tennis team. Started playing 6 years ago after a terrible accident. Good luck to him and all

Quote Originally Posted by bettyswollocks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My ex Brother in Law is in the Tennis team. Started playing 6 years ago after a terrible accident. Good luck to him and all
    Is that Kevin Simpson? He knows a friend of my dad and he came down to our local tennis club a few months ago to show off a few of his skills. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there that day but he played a bit with my brother who was very impressed with him.

Good luck to him and the other Scottish guy in the tennis squad, Gordon Reid, who is only 16 years of age.

Hope they both do really well!

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    I've been watching the British wheelchair basketball team play and these guys fair get around the court and it all gets quite physical too. One of the Israeli guy had a British player in a headlock at one point.

Crazy stuff which the Brits are doing well at

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie07 View Post
    I've been watching the British wheelchair basketball team play and these guys fair get around the court and it all gets quite physical too. One of the Israeli guy had a British player in a headlock at one point.

Crazy stuff which the Brits are doing well at
    Yep the Basketball guys are doing really well.

By the way, if you think wheelchair basketball is rough, you should watch wheelchair rugby! It's the wheelchair version of Aussie Rules.

No holds barred is put it mildly!

It started today and GB played their first match against New Zealand, who won Gold in Athens.

I just caught the last minute there on TV. GB were 2 points up with 50 seconds left. NZ scored a point and then a poor pass let them in again to tie the game with 20 seconds to go.

Fortunately GB scored with about 4 seconds to go to win by a point.

It was also good news for Shelly Woods in the wheelchair racing. After the farce of the other day when her race got called null and void after a crash, the re-run was today.

It was the women's 5000m and she got the bronze medal.

Dave Weir has also managed a silver and a bronze in his 2 races so far in the 400m and the 5000m.

GB are still waiting on their 1st gold in athletics at this year's Games with 4 silvers and 2 bronze.

At the end of the Boccia, GB has 2 medals (1 gold going to the mixed team of Dan Bentley, Nigel Murray, Zoe Robinson and David Smith and 1 silver going to Nigel Murray in the individual event.)

In the road cycling, Britain has had great success. They have so far managed 3 golds (Rachel Morris, David Stone and Sarah Storey) and 2 silvers (Darren Kenny and Simon Richardson)

At the end of the Track Cycling, the British Paralympics team continued from where their Olympic counterparts left off as they topped the medal table with an amazing 12 golds and 1 silver.

We also topped the Equestrian medal table with 5 golds and 5 silvers.

We only got 1 medal in the Judo with Samuel Ingram getting bronze.

No medals so far in the Powerlifting.

Like in the Olympics, the British Paralympics team have done extremely well in the rowing. We topped the table with 2 golds (Helene Raynsford and Tom Aggar) and 1 bronze (Victoria Hansford, Naomi Riches, Ali McKean, James Morgan and Alan Sherman).

We got 1 gold in the shooting with Matt Skelhon winning the Mixed R3-10m Air Rifle Prone.

We have done outstanding in the Swimming so far. We lie second behind the USA with 28 medals (9 gold, 7 silver and 12 bronze)

No medals in the table tennis so far.

And unfortunately all the British players are out of the wheelchair tennis except for Peter Norfolk who has reached the final of the Quad Singles event.

Overall Great Britain has had a fantastic Paralympics so far.

They remain in 2nd place in the medals table with 33 gold, 20 silver and 16 bronze.

There are 5 more days of competition and the basketball team play their 1/4 final tomorrow.

Used to go to primary school with swimmer Heather Fredriksen who is currently on one gold, two silvers and a bronze for Team GB

Good news about Peter Norfolk, he won the Gold medal in the Quad singles of the Wheelchair tennis.

Unfortunately the wheelchair rugby team lost their semi final today against the USA 35-32. They will now play Canada tomorrow in the bronze medal match.

The men's basketball team will be playing the USA tomorrow in the bronze medal match.

Team GB are still 2nd in the medals table with 96 medals overall; 41 golds, 27 silver and 28 bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Is that Kevin Simpson? He knows a friend of my dad and he came down to our local tennis club a few months ago to show off a few of his skills. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there that day but he played a bit with my brother who was very impressed with him.

Good luck to him and the other Scottish guy in the tennis squad, Gordon Reid, who is only 16 years of age.

Hope they both do really well!