hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwain Chambers

Left by mutual consent!

Dwain Chambers

Whats everyones opinions of the guy?

I reckon he was taking drugs, got caught, banned and served his time. Leave the lad alone now and let him run in the olympics

Come on Dwain

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by RubyHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I reckon he was taking drugs, got caught, banned and served his time. Leave the lad alone now and let him run in the olympics

Come on Dwain

I think if you ask any of his fellow pro athletes you'll find the majority of them don't want him anywhere near Beijing come the Olympics.

I think their opinion counts more that ours personally

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzle6207 View Post
    I think if you ask any of his fellow pro athletes you'll find the majority of them don't want him anywhere near Beijing come the Olympics.

I think their opinion counts more that ours personally

Fair enough.

He won the trials

Fair enough.

He won the trials
    So I saw!

Wednesdays hearing is going to be pretty interesting. I don't think he'll get the decision he wants though.

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo

Come on Dwain
    I agree with this

I think he deserves a second chance (think of all the footballers caught taking drugs and they always get a second chance)....so i think Dwain should as well...

Lets face it, it's either running or he'll end up on I'm a Celebrity

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzle6207 View Post
    So I saw!

Wednesdays hearing is going to be pretty interesting. I don't think he'll get the decision he wants though.

Neither do I but, I hope he does

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramo View Post
    I agree with this

I think he deserves a second chance (think of all the footballers caught taking drugs and they always get a second chance)....so i think Dwain should as well...

Lets face it, it's either running or he'll end up on I'm a Celebrity

Definately. And I actually think the booing and everyone wanting him to fail is helping him.

It's a shame he done what he done in the first tplace because his sub 10secs show he didnt need them We all make mistakes in life though and he's done his time

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Definately. And I actually think the booing and everyone wanting him to fail is helping him.

It's a shame he done what he done in the first tplace because his sub 10secs show he didnt need them We all make mistakes in life though and he's done his time
    Sorry but IMHO taking banned drugs to enhance your performance is not a mistake. It's downright out and out cheating. He knew what he was doing and knew the risks if he got caught. The penalty wasn't harsh enough. He should have been emptied for life. If he wins a gold at the Olympics (if he's allowed to participate) then it will be a hollow medal for GB.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp View Post
    Sorry but IMHO taking banned drugs to enhance your performance is not a mistake. It's downright out and out cheating. He knew what he was doing and knew the risks if he got caught. The penalty wasn't harsh enough. He should have been emptied for life. If he wins a gold at the Olympics (if he's allowed to participate) then it will be a hollow medal for GB.

Why would it be? He's not taking peforming enhancing drugs anymore and has the right to race as much as anyone else, just as footballers are allowed to play again after they do the time. It's up to the courts to decide anyway.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Why would it be? He's not taking peforming enhancing drugs anymore and has the right to race as much as anyone else, just as footballers are allowed to play again after they do the time. It's up to the courts to decide anyway.
    Let me use this analogy ....

If you ****ged a sheep just the once but got caught ......

:

Left by mutual consent!

:

Touche

I think he should be given the chance. He is clearly a very talented athlete and made a big mistake with taking whatever it was but it's a shame to let his talent go to waste.
    Last edited by Loobrush; 13-07-2008 at 09:54 PM.

:
    I think I could outdo Dwain if I'm running from an irate farmer weilding a shotgun...

Anyway, hollow gold medals or not Britain needs all the help it can get. We need our best guys out there and if they compete, win, and would pass a drugs test then that will do for me. Dwain would fit that catagory from now on in.

It is a shame about the stain on his character but he has been punished and should be given a second chance IMHO.

@hibs.net private member
    I think he should be allowed. Double standards IMO - the 400m lassie's getting to go - we all(eggedly) know the only reason she never got caught was because she avoided the test 3 times.

I was told a few years back (just before the Scottish sprinter got caught) that most athletes take drugs - that's why they do their warm weather taining in some far-flung place noone's never heard off - they go there do their training take their drugs then come back just as the drugs are out of the system - they're all bulked up but won't fail a test.

Chambers should be allowed to go.

Come on Dwain
    He got taking drugs, and he knew that if he was caught he would forever be banned from representing Britain at the Olympics. Let him serve his time.

Nevertheless, he should have been banned for life - the only lesson an up and coming athlete would learn from Chambers version of his story is that it's alright to dope - the shame is in getting caught.

Zero Tolerance on drugs cheats, no second chances.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper

Come on Dwain
    Why???? Most other hard working Job's in the world you would get booted out if you got caught taking drugs. Why should spotsman be any different?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Why???? Most other hard working Job's in the world you would get booted out if you got caught taking drugs. Why should spotsman be any different?
    Are you saying you'd get kicked out then never be allowed to work again?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    When he cheated he knew the penalty was a life ban from Olympics. If he wins it will be for either a spurious legal reason or because the British athletics authorities are fearful of the cost of litigation. If he does run, any success will be regarded as tainted, and rightly so. Once a cheat, always a cheat. Hopefully he'll be sent home to watch the games on TV.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    When he cheated he knew the penalty was a life ban from Olympics. If he wins it will be for either a spurious legal reason or because the British athletics authorities are fearful of the cost of litigation. If he does run, any success will be regarded as tainted, and rightly so. Once a cheat, always a cheat. Hopefully he'll be sent home to watch the games on TV.

Come on, have a heart!

Didn't you watch Cool Runnings, John Candy was a cheat but look at what happened when he came back as a coach

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post
    Come on, have a heart!

Didn't you watch Cool Runnings, John Candy was a cheat but look at what happened when he came back as a coach

Exactly, I see pride, I see power.....

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post
    Come on, have a heart!

You're right, we should look to Hollywood for moral guidance here - maybe Dwain and Linford could enter the pairs figure skating in the winter Olympics instead.
    ​#PERSEVERED

His bid has failed "BBC Sport understands"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Maybe the guys who had to wait until today to find out whether THEY were going to Beijing because Chambers was challenging his ban ought to be considered.

Is it right to take a cheat who's been legally punished according to the rules, or someone else who has never used drugs?

(Or at least, since this is athletics we're talking about, never been caught?)

But then, I never can work out how on earth anyone can talk about or discuss ethics and morality in the context of the Olympics.

A jamboree of world sports in the capital city of a country ruled by one of the most cruel and oppressive regimes in the history of the world. Painting a happy smile on the face of a monster. A bloody obscenity.

Maybe Chambers is the right man for the job after all.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I think the the judge was right not to overturn the ban, if he hadn't been caught does anyone honestly think he would have stopped taking drugs, I have ran for scotland and trianed with some of the best athletes this counrty has produced and i would be sevelry p****d off if i knew one or more of them had beaten me because they were on drugs. Personally I would ban them from all competitions. If they have cheated once who is to say they won't do it again

For all those that think Chambers should have been allowed, think on one thing, how do you think the 3 other clean sprinters in the relay team who had their medals stripped from them because of one mans dishonesty.

Do you really think that he would be accepted back into that team for an event that relies on a lot of trust between the athletes

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    For all those that think Chambers should have been allowed, think on one thing, how do you think the 3 other clean sprinters in the relay team who had their medals stripped from them because of one mans dishonesty.

Do you really think that he would be accepted back into that team for an event that relies on a lot of trust between the athletes
    Good point, Chambers wasn't wanted back but a large amount of the British team, it would not have been good for morale if he had got back in.

Anyway, he knew the rules about not being allowed into the Olympics if you are caught as a drugs cheat, before he started taking drugs, so he just has to live with the consequences. He made his bed, now he must lie in it

There is no way Dwain Chambers should have been allowed into the Olympics.

If he had been allowed to compete then the whole GB performance at Beijing would have been overshadowed by his presence. How would you feel (as a "clean" athlete) to be overlooked by the media because of someone who has deliberately cheated?

I have sympathy for guys like Alain Baxter who was treated appallingly by the authorities but Dwain Chambers deserves all he gets.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    There is no way Dwain Chambers should have been allowed into the Olympics.

If he had been allowed to compete then the whole GB performance at Beijing would have been overshadowed by his presence. How would you feel (as a "clean" athlete) to be overlooked by the media because of someone who has deliberately cheated?

I have sympathy for guys like Alain Baxter who was treated appallingly by the authorities but Dwain Chambers deserves all he gets.
    He's served his time though. He says he's not doing drugs now and no doubt he'll be tested. We should be picking our best team not being pompous about it.

How do the 400m girls that have missed out to Ohurogu feel? She's not even served her time yet! Double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    He's served his time though. He says he's not doing drugs now and no doubt he'll be tested. We should be picking our best team not being pompous about it.

How do the 400m girls that have missed out to Ohurogu feel? She's not even served her time yet! Double standards.
    Not as far as the Olympics go he hasn't. He knew perfectly well what he was doing and the implications that his actions would have upon his Olympic career but he still chose to cheat.

He won't be sorry that he cheated, he'll be sorry that he got caught. If his story makes just one athlete in the future make the decision not to take drugs then he will at least have done some good as a lesson to others.

In the case of Christine Ohuruogu, she has never actually been found guilty of taking any banned substances, she simply missed 3 drugs tests. Now obviously you could argue that the fact she missed 3 tests is dodgy but as far as the law is concerned, I don't think she can be classed in the same category as Dwain Chambers until she has been found guilty herself.

British Olympics has a zero tolerance approach to athletes found to be abusing performance enhancing drugs and I think that's the only way to deter people as anyone who becomes an athlete will dream of representing their country at the Olympic Games and if that privilege is denied then it's certainly a good deterrent.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Not as far as the Olympics go he hasn't. He knew perfectly well what he was doing and the implications that his actions would have upon his Olympic career but he still chose to cheat.

He won't be sorry that he cheated, he'll be sorry that he got caught. If his story makes just one athlete in the future make the decision not to take drugs then he will at least have done some good as a lesson to others.

In the case of Christine Ohuruogu, she has never actually been found guilty of taking any banned substances, she simply missed 3 drugs tests. Now obviously you could argue that the fact she missed 3 tests is dodgy but as far as the law is concerned, I don't think she can be classed in the same category as Dwain Chambers until she has been found guilty herself.

British Olympics has a zero tolerance approach to athletes found to be abusing performance enhancing drugs and I think that's the only way to deter people as anyone who becomes an athlete will dream of representing their country at the Olympic Games and if that privilege is denied then it's certainly a good deterrent.
    The Olympics ban is only a British ban though not the norm.

And "simply" missed 3 tests?! I'll bet Dwain wishes he'd just forgotten 'cos then we could've all just swept it under the carpet and pretended he hadn't done it.

As I said double standards.