hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Your opinion of the Williams sisters (tennis)?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cannae effin stand 'em

12 50.00%
  • I like them

9 37.50%
  • No opinion

3 12.50%
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Your opinion on the Williams sisters (tennis)?

Cannae effin stand 'em. Just thought I'd say that. Makes a change from yam threads clogging up the messageboard

2. Log in to remove the advert

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cannae effin stand 'em. Just thought I'd say that. Makes a change from yam threads clogging up the messageboard
    A strange poll to see on here but a good one! I loathe them both and will be finding something else to do on Saturday than watch the woman's final nobody wanted.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex fae B&Q View Post
    A strange poll to see on here but a good one! I loathe them both and will be finding something else to do on Saturday than watch the woman's final nobody wanted.
    To be fair they do seem to dominate wimbledon, and if i am honest i couldnt name another womans tennis player, and i have just watched venus beat someone in the semi not 10-15 minutes ago.

I doubt they'ld adapt to Mixus style of play.

Left by mutual consent!
    Have to admit to wanting them to lose every match they play in

In terms of ability, they're probably by far and away the two best players to watch in the women's game. They have so much more power than most of the other women and that's why they can dominate most matches.

Also a lot of female tennis players struggle with their emotions at times but this is something that I don't believe really affects either of them.

In short, I like them as tennis players but haven't really got an opinion on them either way as people.

they always come across well in interview etc. Seem genuine and well brought up.

However i cannot stand them on court, dunno but I just cannot stand watching them.

Ana Ivanovic for me

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Personally they are the perfect tennis machines...bit like Nadal & Fedderer, Nadal will surpas Feds though in the next few years.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: N/A
    Beasts

Its all about power for the Williams sisters, the grunting and snorting puts me off though, however Sharapova is guilty of doing it as well.

There's something of a paradox in womens tennis in my opinion. I find both the Williams sisters very refreshing whenever i read or hear what they have to say, because they don't seem bound by the usual corporate speak which dominates the output of so many professional athletes. They are usually, in my experience, willing to offer an opinion when asked a reasonable question rather than trotting out some manufactured non-commital response so as not to risk upsetting a sponsor. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they seem willing and able to think and speak for themselves to a far greater degree than many of their peers.

What I find odd is that I often hear commentators saying that in order to broaden the appeal of the game, there needs to be characters in the sport. Yet who gets more coverage, Ivanovic and Sharapova (both of whom are very good players, but far from riveting interviewees) or Venus and Serena ? Serena attended a pre wimbledon party in a dress reportedly addorned with $2m worth of gemstones. Anyone see it ? The BBC gave about 15 secs over to it in a feature they shot. There's a story there for womens tennis if they chose to use it to their advantage, but i'm guessing if you did see it you also saw the minute or so the beeb gave over to Ivanovic saying "I like Wimbledon and it would be nice to win here." Again.

Anna Kournikova, with some justification, took a lot of stick for concentrating on her appearance rather than on her tennis. It seems the media, and those responsible for the promotion of the womens game, can think of no better way to publicise the sport than sticking the eye candy in front of the cameras and ignoring the assets they have in the game which might encourage a more lasting interest in the sport.

I voted for "I like them both" by the way !

First Team Regular Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I didn't vote. I'm a big fan of Venus, but don't like Serena. No real reason or justification, but since when did who you support in sports have any need for those things? I'll be at work during the final but I'll be hoping for a Venus win.

Strangely enough I have a similar mindset in the mens game, big Federer fan but I'd be happy to see Nadal get hammered every time he steps on the court. I guess it's just the nature of rivalry in sport, if you have strong feelings for one party then you automatically want to see their biggest rival lose, even though both Serena and Nadal are undoubtedly great players and come off as decent off the court too.

Muscular munters who seem to dominate through power. Boring.

It should be seeded in such a way that they all knock each other out leaving the feminine, attractive players to contest the latter stages.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    Muscular munters who seem to dominate through power. Boring.

It should be seeded in such a way that they all knock each other out leaving the feminine, attractive players to contest the latter stages.
    Your views then on Rafael Nadal ?