hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Khan v Gomez

Khan v Gomez

Fightng this Saturday on ITV1. Should be a cracker and hopefully Gomez gets his heid staved in as revenge for AA a few years back. Granted, he deserved to win that fight but his conduct ever since has been that of a classless numpty.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fightng this Saturday on ITV1. Should be a cracker and hopefully Gomez gets his heid staved in as revenge for AA a few years back. Granted, he deserved to win that fight but his conduct ever since has been that of a classless numpty.
    think that might be because he is......he's from Romany descent.

I'm hoping Gomez beats him!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I'm hoping Gomez beats him!

Same here I hate Khan and hope he gets pumped soon

I can never understand why some folk dislike Khan so much Always comes across as a pretty decent guy, he's done nothing to upset me.

What does get on my wick though is how ITV bum him up as a future boxing great. He's good, but he ain't that good....as Willie Limond showed last year by sticking him on his backside. Not convinced he will be a successful as say Hatton, Calzaghe or Prince Naseem.

I really want to see how he fares against some crack American dude or Mexican.

I do think he will smack Gomez around, perhaps after a quick start from the challenger.

Khan in the third for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzle6207 View Post
    I can never understand why some folk dislike Khan so much Always comes across as a pretty decent guy, he's done nothing to upset me.

What does get on my wick though is how ITV bum him up as a future boxing great. He's good, but he ain't that good....as Willie Limond showed last year by sticking him on his backside. Not convinced he will be a successful as say Hatton, Calzaghe or Prince Naseem.

I really want to see how he fares against some crack American dude or Mexican.

I do think he will smack Gomez around, perhaps after a quick start from the challenger.

Khan in the third for me.
    Thats my thinking mate. I reckon he has potentual, but takes an easy route. I'm sure there was a large sum offered for him to fight John Thaxton (think thats his name) but the fight was turned down. Could be like the backlash Calzaghe will get when as expected he fights Roy Jones Junior instead of Pavlic.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Thats my thinking mate. I reckon he has potentual, but takes an easy route. I'm sure there was a large sum offered for him to fight John Thaxton (think thats his name) but the fight was turned down. Could be like the backlash Calzaghe will get when as expected he fights Roy Jones Junior instead of Pavlic.
    IIRC Thaxton gave Ricky Hatton a hell of a fight a few years back, I think Hatton was cut badly was taken all the way. If the Khan camp are indeed ducking someone like Thaxton then that says quite a bit, perhaps not too confident he would come through.

A lot of Khans easy route in his early boxing career is down to Frank Warren. How often did Ricky Hatton end up fighting weak opposition when he fought under Sports Networks name? Quite a few I recall. Frank Warren is a sham of a Boxing promoter

As for Calzaghe, I would love to see him fight Pavlik. That would be some fight. Whether KP can maintain his dominance at Super Middleweight remains to be seen but I fancy he could beat Joe.

Mind you, I did say Kessler would beat Calzaghe so what do I know!

IIRC Thaxton gave Ricky Hatton a hell of a fight a few years back, I think Hatton was cut badly was taken all the way. If the Khan camp are indeed ducking someone like Thaxton then that says quite a bit, perhaps not too confident he would come through.

A lot of Khans easy route in his early boxing career is down to Frank Warren. How often did Ricky Hatton end up fighting weak opposition when he fought under Sports Networks name? Quite a few I recall. Frank Warren is a sham of a Boxing promoter

As for Calzaghe, I would love to see him fight Pavlik. That would be some fight. Whether KP can maintain his dominance at Super Middleweight remains to be seen but I fancy he could beat Joe.

Mind you, I did say Kessler would beat Calzaghe so what do I know!
    Would love to see that as well, just got a feeling that it's not goign to happen. A lot of people share your views of Warren, I'm sure that he issued a statement recently saying that Jones is a better fight and Pavlik didn't want to fight Calzaghe!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

you probably just answered your own question unfortunately khan is starting to believe the english media hyping him up all the time http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News...ritain-locale/

Indeed, Khan is promising a comprehensive victory on Saturday night and ridiculed the suggestion that Gomez’s power could cause him problems.

”I know how good I am and I know Michael Gomez is not going to beat me in a million years in that ring on Saturday night,” he declared.

Another Naseem he will get plugged and youll no hear from him again

will gomez last more than a couple of rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    think that might be because he is......he's from Romany descent.
    Wow. Deary, deary me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Decent fight so far. Think Kahn should win, Gomez is taking some amount of punches from him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    Decent fight so far. Think Kahn should win, Gomez is taking some amount of punches from him.
    Khan doesn't seem to be able to take a punch though. Looks like he's got a ****ed rib as well.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by LiverpoolHibs View Post
    Khan doesn't seem to be able to take a punch though. Looks like he's got a ****ed rib as well.
    Gomez is struggling too. I just think Kahn has a bit more about him. Gomez is slow, but he keeps coming back...

well, the ref's just stopped it, but I thought Gomez had a wee bit longer to go there.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gomez is struggling too. I just think Kahn has a bit more about him. Gomez is slow, but he keeps coming back...

well, the ref's just stopped it, but I thought Gomez had a wee bit longer to go there.
    Same, he looked gutted it was stopped. He hasn't boxed for about three years or something, aye?

and so did gomez himself, right decision by the ref tho me thinks didn't realise gomez was 10 years older than khan.

Good decision by the ref. It wasnt the flurry of punches Gomez had taken just before the stoppage, but the cumulative effect of the punishment he'd take all through the fight.

It was entertaining, but I have to say it crossed my mind that there could have been tragic conseqeunces if it had gone on for a lot longer.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Khan is a great boxer, really like the guy. Doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Good decision by the ref. It wasnt the flurry of punches Gomez had taken just before the stoppage, but the cumulative effect of the punishment he'd take all through the fight.

It was entertaining, but I have to say it crossed my mind that there could have been tragic conseqeunces if it had gone on for a lot longer.
    I think it was a poor decision by the ref.

Gomez was still making an effort to avoid the punches, and more importantly, retalliate.

He wasn't much more than one decent body shot way from having Khan in trouble.

It is a shame that a genuinely hard guy who came to fight is the victim of such a soft stoppage.

Someone is protecting Warrens investment I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    you probably just answered your own question unfortunately khan is starting to believe the english media hyping him up all the time http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News...ritain-locale/

Indeed, Khan is promising a comprehensive victory on Saturday night and ridiculed the suggestion that Gomez’s power could cause him problems.

”I know how good I am and I know Michael Gomez is not going to beat me in a million years in that ring on Saturday night,” he declared.

Thats what really bugs me bout him, he comes across as very arroangt,just my view though.Yes he is a good boxer, he has really good fast hands but the thing that gets me is i dunno as of yet if he can take a punch.Can you imagen kahn up against somone who has very good hand speed and who has good power?

I dunno how he would fair

Left by mutual consent!
    Gomez summed it up at the end "he was too big for me"....Khan kooked huge in comparison.

Frank Warren really id=s doing a good job for all concerned:

Khan was raw but learning fast
    Team Khan keep clocking up the wins
    They are all making cash
    TV are happy with the marketability of him
    Warrens making millions as he makes his way towards another load of loot from the USA.