hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A good start tonight in the W of E, 22-12 for my rink, our other three rinks all won so 9-0 overall for the match
    Well done mate ......not sure how the Jewel got on tonight ..i was out injured ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bowling

I've never played bowls in my life. I originally asked about the match because my brother is a past president of the Northern.
    Couldn't make the proposed date as this clashes with a family event. I think it would be interesting if both teams had to include a complete novice as it would introduce new players to bowls and add a fun element to the matches. Of course a novice would have to provide/borrow? the spikey shoes and other compulsory clothing/kit/bowls etc
    Last edited by HibbyDave; 03-05-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo

Nae spiky shoes on a bowling green... totally flat soles only (nae heels).

I fell on opening day on a wet patch on our green so it can get interesting when it's wet.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    I've never played bowls in my life. I originally asked about the match because my brother is a past president of the Northern.
    Couldn't make the proposed date as this clashes with a family event. I think it would be interesting if both teams had to include a complete novice as it would introduce new players to bowls and add a fun element to the matches. Of course a novice would have to provide/borrow? the spikey shoes and other compulsory clothing/kit/bowls etc
    Dave,

I reckon there might well be a couple of 'novices' in the Northern team anyway, as we have a good few new members who have never played bowls before but joined the club to see if they would enjoy it (and they very much seem to be doing so ).

Who is your past Persident brother? ROC?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie07 View Post
    Dave,

I reckon there might well be a couple of 'novices' in the Northern team anyway, as we have a good few new members who have never played bowls before but joined the club to see if they would enjoy it (and they very much seem to be doing so ).

Who is your past Persident brother? ROC?

ROC-Yep Currently on tour.

Is anybody on here playing in the Premier 20 tonight?

I was supposed to be playing away tonight (at of all places Gorgie Mills!) but it seems that they've pulled out as they can't raise a team!

They used to be a very powerful club in the bowls circles of Edinburgh, are they in difficulties? Or is it just that the Premier 20 isn't prestigious enough for them to bother with it?

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    Is anybody on here playing in the Premier 20 tonight?

I was supposed to be playing away tonight (at of all places Gorgie Mills!) but it seems that they've pulled out as they can't raise a team!

They used to be a very powerful club in the bowls circles of Edinburgh, are they in difficulties? Or is it just that the Premier 20 isn't prestigious enough for them to bother with it?
    It's awfae earlier for the Premier 20 is it not? Did it not get played sometime in June previously?

Not surprised that teams struggle to raise a team. I know that my cub and Summerside did not enter but they must be more.

Gorgie did used to be a strong club but they continue to lose players to other WOL clubs it seems. Don't know if this is more of a case of players falling out with the club

Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    It's awfae earlier for the Premier 20 is it not? Did it not get played sometime in June previously?

Not surprised that teams struggle to raise a team. I know that my cub and Summerside did not enter but they must be more.

Gorgie did used to be a strong club but they continue to lose players to other WOL clubs it seems. Don't know if this is more of a case of players falling out with the club
    Two of our skips are playing against Summerside (Gary Swain & David Scott) not sure of the comp but i heard them mention your club last Friday ...

We dont get many "prestigious" comps in the Esk ...the Midlothian Rinks (Rosebery i think its known by) was the biggest ...

Quote Originally Posted by HNA6 View Post
    Two of our skips are playing against Summerside (Gary Swain & David Scott) not sure of the comp but i heard them mention your club last Friday ...

We dont get many "prestigious" comps in the Esk ...the Midlothian Rinks (Rosebery i think its known by) was the biggest ...
    If they are/were both skipping then it won't have been the Premier 20.

The format of the comp is that each club fields 20 players ... 10 at home and 10 away. you have a single, a pair, a triple and a rink at home, each against different random clubs. Then your other 10 players are spread around four other random clubs as a single, pair etc... they make it so that you don't play the same club twice in the competition.

Our away rink were at Balerno, so there can be a fair bit of travelling involved (which possibly puts clubs off a bit too).

If they are/were both skipping then it won't have been the Premier 20.

The format of the comp is that each club fields 20 players ... 10 at home and 10 away. you have a single, a pair, a triple and a rink at home, each against different random clubs. Then your other 10 players are spread around four other random clubs as a single, pair etc... they make it so that you don't play the same club twice in the competition.

Our away rink were at Balerno, so there can be a fair bit of travelling involved (which possibly puts clubs off a bit too).
    That sounds like our version of the "Top 10"....

All winners of our Scottish comps ..

4 - Winners of rink

3 - Winners of triples

2 - Winners of the pairs

1 - Winner of the Championship

The Premier 20 was a cpmpetition too far for us at the Northern.
    IIRC, This was originallya competition to celebrate the last commonwealth games in Edinburgh, and was meant to be a 'One Off'. It continued on however, but became more and more of a burden for us for various reasons, and I'm sure we pulled out quite some time ago.

Can never remember it being this early in the season either.

I thought Gary and David played for Niddrie and you played for Jewel (surely not some kind of jewel membership??) I've got a good couple of mates at Summerside and Niddrie beat them 9-0 in the league last Wednesday.

I thought Gary and David played for Niddrie and you played for Jewel (surely not some kind of jewel membership??) I've got a good couple of mates at Summerside and Niddrie beat them 9-0 in the league last Wednesday.
    Indeed, both fully paid up members of the Jewel & Niddrie....they play all their Scottish ties for Niddrie as well as league games on a Wed & they play for us on a Friday ...im led to believe Gary has joined another bowling club perhaps Brunstane but has to wait till next season to play ..

Ok guys, names so far ...

Burnsie

HNA6 (Kenny)

Hibby Dave ?

Scouse Hibee

Tanfield

sg7nil ?

Hibee Craig0762

Luxjock

Dudley Hibee

Glasgow Hibs ?

Sambajustice ?

Fat Stu
    Me too K

Starting to put my team together for THE BIG MATCH. You better watch out, it's looking good already

Starting to put my team together for THE BIG MATCH. You better watch out, it's looking good already
    So are .....once Tanfield gets back to me with the definates ...

Burnsie...Tanfield ..you both have pm's ....

So are .....once Tanfield gets back to me with the definates ...
    8 definites so far Kenny so just need one more for 3 triples. Waiting for a response from a couple but enough so far to field a team.

Interesting to see what kind of team Mike manages to pull together. Hopefully they will be able to put up some kind of game against us

Still got to decide on dress code. Standard greys and whites to you think? Would look good with team polo shirts with our user names on the back

Tanfield, as per my pm I'm up for coming out of retirement for this game.

Happy to play anywhere.

8 definites so far Kenny so just need one more for 3 triples. Waiting for a response from a couple but enough so far to field a team.

Interesting to see what kind of team Mike manages to pull together. Hopefully they will be able to put up some kind of game against us

Still got to decide on dress code. Standard greys and whites to you think? Would look good with team polo shirts with our user names on the back
    Good stuff mate ......think we should play Northern wi our opposite bowling hands just tae gie them a chance ...

As for dress code i think our own individual club colours would look smart..tie..polo shirt or jersey ...i will prob wear my black trousers wi dark blue Jewel Club jersey ..

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBreslin View Post
    Tanfield, as per my pm I'm up for coming out of retirement for this game.

Happy to play anywhere.
    Cheers. Up to 9 now so at least 3 rinks of triples.

Cheers. Up to 9 now so at least 3 rinks of triples.
    Bring it on !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Bring it on !!!!
    Despite the absence of one or two notable players (ME ) the Northern Hibbies cuffed our Yam counterparts on Saturday at the club in the annual challange match.

be afraid, be very afraid

Despite the absence of one or two notable players (ME ) the Northern Hibbies cuffed our Yam counterparts on Saturday at the club in the annual challange match.

be afraid, be very afraid
    Right ..war !!! ..thats my size 8's getting dusted doon ...

Right ..war !!! ..thats my size 8's getting dusted doon ...
    Our club Champion, George Prentice, who won last night against Pilrig in the Scottish singles, plays with size 0-7's, A match for your size HH

Our club Champion, George Prentice, who won last night against Pilrig in the Scottish singles, plays with size 0-7's, A match for your size HH

Was that game played at Seafield?

I think my dad had volunteered to mark it... was it Darren McKenny that he beat?

How was the green running? It'll probably be heavy tonight anyway with the amount of water it's just had!

Och ...come tae think o it ...its only a friendly ..............

Was that game played at Seafield?

I think my dad had volunteered to mark it... was it Darren McKenny that he beat?

How was the green running? It'll probably be heavy tonight anyway with the amount of water it's just had!
    It certainly was. Don't know the score but I know George won, and he will be skipping against you lads, so yer in fer it

:
    Och ...come tae think o it ...its only a friendly ..............
    Och i know, it's just a nice wee friendly (friendly my :asshole: we're up for it, i'll tell ye )

Looking forward to it I must say. I thought you had more than 9 so I better stop inviting people until numbers are confirmed)

BTW Glasgowhibs is now also a member of the Northern so it will be up to who offers the best signing on fee for the day

:

Och i know, it's just a nice wee friendly (friendly my :asshole: we're up for it, i'll tell ye )

Looking forward to it I must say. I thought you had more than 9 so I better stop inviting people until numbers are confirmed)

BTW Glasgowhibs is now also a member of the Northern so it will be up to who offers the best signing on fee for the day
    Cannae wait ......9 is good though, we may be pushing it a bit for 3 rinks but trips just as good ...i will wait till Tanfield gets back to me with the def 9 before we decide on who were gonna unleash ...sorry, how were gonna line up against you Northerners...

As for GH..if he is in Tanfields 9 then he is a er ...