hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Roll on the start of the Indoor season!! Especially after last year's "summer"!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HNA6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty dangerous that btw !!! ..fek having a relaxing game o bowls & getting smacked on the napper wi a friggin cricket ball !!! :yikes!:

On a side note, as rosy as things may sound at my club (Jewel) our bowling section is in turmoil...we lost over £4000 when our treasurer had sticky finger syndrome a couple o years back...there has been of late a lot of infighting due to lack of support & funds from the main commitee & due to that our bowling commitee resigned in protest..

We now have a new commitee & they recently upped membership from £12 to £20 in a bid to claw back some funds ..we thought that would resolve issues but in an act of pettyness from the main committee they have put in a protest on three of our Esk league players who are paid up members of Niddrie bowling club but represent the Jewel on a friday night.

Our arguement is if you are a fully paid up member of the main club then you are entitled to represent the club in the league , these guys pay their bowling memberships at another club though ..

What are your rules on this ?
    As far as I know we have no members with dual "bowling" memberships (although some have social membership at other clubs).

I believe that in the case where a player is a member of multiple clubs, they are only allowed to represent one club in Scottish/Elba competitions.

I don't know how this would affect league games, most Edinburgh leagues play on Wednesdays, however the West have some games on Fridays and it appears that the Esk league plays on Fridays too.

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    As far as I know we have no members with dual "bowling" memberships (although some have social membership at other clubs).

I believe that in the case where a player is a member of multiple clubs, they are only allowed to represent one club in Scottish/Elba competitions.

I don't know how this would affect league games, most Edinburgh leagues play on Wednesdays, however the West have some games on Fridays and it appears that the Esk league plays on Fridays too.
    These guys play local competitions in Niddrie Bowling club, they also represent Niddrie in the Scottish & in the leagues on a Wed..

They are fully paid up members of the Jewel miners club which imo entitles them to represent us on a Friday night ..

I dont think there is a written rule as such other than a stipulation that you can only represent one club in the Scottish & you have to be a member of the club before you can bowl there ..

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Good to see a bowls thread .

Our green opens on 19 April and I cannae wait, this is only my second season up here after a fifteen year break! Played crown green at a decent level from the age of thirteen until I moved to the land of flat greens.
    The buzz is back it's like I never stopped playing.

Pretty dangerous that btw !!! ..fek having a relaxing game o bowls & getting smacked on the napper wi a friggin cricket ball !!! :yikes!:

On a side note, as rosy as things may sound at my club (Jewel) our bowling section is in turmoil...we lost over £4000 when our treasurer had sticky finger syndrome a couple o years back...there has been of late a lot of infighting due to lack of support & funds from the main commitee & due to that our bowling commitee resigned in protest..

We now have a new commitee & they recently upped membership from £12 to £20 in a bid to claw back some funds ..we thought that would resolve issues but in an act of pettyness from the main committee they have put in a protest on three of our Esk league players who are paid up members of Niddrie bowling club but represent the Jewel on a friday night.

Our arguement is if you are a fully paid up member of the main club then you are entitled to represent the club in the league , these guys pay their bowling memberships at another club though ..

What are your rules on this ?
    £20.00 FFS that's cheap, we pay £140.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    £20.00 FFS that's cheap, we pay £140.00.
    Where are you bowling mate ..Carricknowe perchance ?

Where are you bowling mate ..Carricknowe perchance ?
    No I was on their list but I couldn't wait so managed to get in to Currie.

Good stuff mate ......yes we are cheap but unfortunately we cant attract "bowlers" because you have to be a full social club member to be able to play bowls at the Jewel ...even at that its only £5 a year to join the club ..we (the bowling side) are a sub section as opposed to an actual bowling club but anyone who has been down at the Jewel will vouch for our first class green & facilities ..

We have even lost our juniors because the rule stipulates that you have to be 18 to be a member of the club therefore anyone under that age cannot play bowls at the Jewel...or more to the point ..access the club ..

Pretty crap really ...price isnae everything ..its pishy rules that are stifling us ..we as a club need to move on but we cant under the current circumstances ..

Good stuff mate ......yes we are cheap but unfortunately we cant attract "bowlers" because you have to be a full social club member to be able to play bowls at the Jewel ...even at that its only £5 a year to join the club ..we (the bowling side) are a sub section as opposed to an actual bowling club but anyone who has been down at the Jewel will vouch for our first class green & facilities ..

We have even lost our juniors because the rule stipulates that you have to be 18 to be a member of the club therefore anyone under that age cannot play bowls at the Jewel...or more to the point ..access the club ..

Pretty crap really ...price isnae everything ..its pishy rules that are stifling us ..we as a club need to move on but we cant under the current circumstances ..
    It's hard enough to generate interest and encourage new members without being restrained by outdated rules and constitutions but that's the way of bowling clubs for you.Still coming to terms myself with the huge difference in crown and lawn rules! Bowling shoes/blazers/ties/greys not in the Liverpool City bowling league! Turn up from your work in your steel toecaps/jeans/overalls and play your game just the same in whatever you choose to wear At the end of the day I'm back on the green though so I'll get used to it......eventually. Cheers mate all the best for the new season.

It's hard enough to generate interest and encourage new members without being restrained by outdated rules and constitutions but that's the way of bowling clubs for you.Still coming to terms myself with the huge difference in crown and lawn rules! Bowling shoes/blazers/ties/greys not in the Liverpool City bowling league! Turn up from your work in your steel toecaps/jeans/overalls and play your game just the same in whatever you choose to wear At the end of the day I'm back on the green though so I'll get used to it......eventually. Cheers mate all the best for the new season.
    The dress rules are rather draconian & depending on some clubs rather pathetic ..

We are pretty relaxed on what you wear whilst playing a bowling tie ...no shorts or sleeveless tops or football tops but otherwise jeans/joggers t-shirts are fine ...tbh i couldnt care less what you are wearing ..your only playing bowls ...

Esk League..thats diff...we all wear our white shirts/black/grey trousers ..ties etc..its good to look smart whilst representing your club, most of us wear black trousers as opposed to grey & it does occassionaly get up the noses of the more "posher" clubs ....

Bowling really has to get ahead of the times though, some of the rules are nowt short o pathetic ...

The dress rules are rather draconian & depending on some clubs rather pathetic ..

We are pretty relaxed on what you wear whilst playing a bowling tie ...no shorts or sleeveless tops or football tops but otherwise jeans/joggers t-shirts are fine ...tbh i couldnt care less what you are wearing ..your only playing bowls ...

Esk League..thats diff...we all wear our white shirts/black/grey trousers ..ties etc..its good to look smart whilst representing your club, most of us wear black trousers as opposed to grey & it does occassionaly get up the noses of the more "posher" clubs ....

Bowling really has to get ahead of the times though, some of the rules are nowt short o pathetic ...
    Some of the old boys at our club are always on about how you should wear "Battle dress" to represent the club, as its supposed to be traditional...

Our club has loads of old pictures in it and there's not a blazer in sight. Most of the guys are in suits to be fair, but the "tradition" of Blazers, white shirts and grey trousers seems to be more recent than some people will admit.

Played their last year in the top 5,

Better prepare yourself for the attack of the midges!!!

Otherwise thought the green was very good. My other Grandad was a member there last year but didn't bother playing so quit ahead of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post

Otherwise thought the green was very good. My other Grandad was a member there last year but didn't bother playing so quit ahead of this season.
    Midges !!!!! forgot about them !!! :yikes!:...i got eaten alive whilst playing in the K/O cup at Easthouses a couple of seasons back, worst time ever, my arms were all swollen after the bites & my head was bitten to bits too, doc had to give me anti-histhimines to reduce the swelling ....bloody itchy & painful !! ....our opponents were wised up though..they were puffing the big cigars in a bid tae smoke them out !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post

Aye the midges are murder though someone reccomended Avon Skin So Soft so I tried it last season and had no more problems. Apparently used by the British army too.

There are greens that are as bad as Currie (if not worse) in the town for Midges..

Coltbridge (worst ever!!!), Northern and Tipperlinn all come to mind as I've been eaten alive at all three.

Never been bitten at Currie, although It seems to rain every time I'm there so that's probably why.

I'm hoping for another season of dry Wednesday nights like last years.. I don't remember having to put the waterproofs on at all last season...

If I was playing at Currie though I'd be hoping for rain every week I was at home! mibbie?

There are greens that are as bad as Currie (if not worse) in the town for Midges..

Coltbridge (worst ever!!!), Northern and Tipperlinn all come to mind as I've been eaten alive at all three.

Never been bitten at Currie, although It seems to rain every time I'm there so that's probably why.

I'm hoping for another season of dry Wednesday nights like last years.. I don't remember having to put the waterproofs on at all last season...

If I was playing at Currie though I'd be hoping for rain every week I was at home! mibbie?
    West Linton is meant to be the worst ever in our sections...glad we passed each other in the leagues..would def have tae take a sicky for that one !!!

Its that bad the home team bowlers have the protective headgear !!:yikes!: now that is taking midges seriously ..........

West Linton is a nightmare for midges, but i'm sure they had machines in not sure how much of a differance they have made.

Quote Originally Posted by forthhibby View Post
    West Linton is a nightmare for midges, but i'm sure they had machines in not sure how much of a differance they have made.
    Yeah, heard about the machines too mate, its just bloody uncomfortable esp for me because i always seem to get a bad reaction to the bites ...gonna try that Avon stuff Scouse Hibee used ...couldnae care less if i smell a bit queer...

midgie machines work, but i think you have to have them going constantly, our club is not that busy so some nights there was no one down to put it on.

Loads of folk use the skin so soft, so must be something in it.

midgie machines work, but i think you have to have them going constantly, our club is not that busy so some nights there was no one down to put it on.

Loads of folk use the skin so soft, so must be something in it.
    Were no too bad down the Jewel, never seem to have midgie probs there, the odd one or two bites but nowt compared to some places ..will just have to spend more time visiting the away bars !!!

i've found that the midgie problem never seems as bad if you stay near the bar

i've found that the midgie problem never seems as bad if you stay near the bar
    Either that or the big fat cigars ...smoke em oot ...

First Team Breakthrough manewhut's Avatar
    midges at Balerno are the size of rats ... our secret weapon.

http://www.balernobowlingclub.co.uk

W.O.L - strongest league in Scotland

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    My own club, the very fashionable Whitehouse & Grange (great deal last year to join and live handy to why not) opens on the 19th of April. Quite looking forward to getting back into bowls this year for the first time since 2004.

Ready to try and conqeuer Div 4 of the EBL and will good to go back to my old stomping ground at Tramways.

Shocking though what has happened to Edinburgh. Can sympathise as my old club (Tanfield) went a similar way but fortunately managed to secure alternative premises up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by manewhut View Post
    midges at Balerno are the size of rats ... our secret weapon.

http://www.balernobowlingclub.co.uk

W.O.L - strongest league in Scotland

Aye, there's more than a few strong clubs in the league.. but there's a few whipping boys too. I've looked at your league table from the end of last season, and frankly it wasn't that competitive....

I copied it in there but it did not format well.. and I lost a ton of typing that I had put after it.
    Last edited by sg7nil; 20-03-2008 at 12:02 PM.

The EBL has by the competitive nature of the games every week, helped (I believe) to raise the general standard. All our top clubs only play other top clubs in the league, there are no easy games. Tanfield who won the league several times in the past, only just escaped relegation from the top flight last year (although this may have had something to do with their new green, however).

I can't see the attraction for half the clubs in the WOL who are unlikely to have a chance of winning it. Especially the ones that are in the town (Beechwood for example) who would probably not have to travel much further (if at all) than they currently do to fulfil fixtures.

The EBL has by the competitive nature of the games every week, helped (I believe) to raise the general standard. All our top clubs only play other top clubs in the league, there are no easy games. Tanfield who won the league several times in the past, only just escaped relegation from the top flight last year (although this may have had something to do with their new green, however).

I can't see the attraction for half the clubs in the WOL who are unlikely to have a chance of winning it. Especially the ones that are in the town (Beechwood for example) who would probably not have to travel much further (if at all) than they currently do to fulfil fixtures.
    The only trouble I have seen with the EBL is the flight by the better players to the better clubs. Craigie, Parkside, Pilrig and to a lesser extent Tanfield (they have more trouble keeping players these days!) so whilst that makes the 1st Div very competitive it does make other clubs weaker. Market forces I guess though.

I get sick of the W.O.L bowlers making out there are somehow superior and as proven with the Top 5 & Top 10 non W.O.L clubs are more than capable of holding their own.

Its funny reading about the EBL & WOL etc, moreso the standard at what you guys play compared to our "tin pot" Esk league ...half our guys wouldnt last two minutes in those leagues or your clubs..

You's have 1st 2nd & 3rd 16's ...we have 0ne 15 ...which normally turns into one 13 ...some think they are too good to be reserve ..

I laughed a couple of seasons ago when we played Dalkeith (Ironmills) at the Jewel ....two well mannered middle aged bowlers from Dalkeith approached me & asked to speak to our "selectors"...i laughed ..."selectors...we dont have them down here...we have a captain who picks 12 out of the available 15 players we sometimes have at our disposal" ...

Its funny reading about the EBL & WOL etc, moreso the standard at what you guys play compared to our "tin pot" Esk league ...half our guys wouldnt last two minutes in those leagues or your clubs..

You's have 1st 2nd & 3rd 16's ...we have 0ne 15 ...which normally turns into one 13 ...some think they are too good to be reserve ..

I laughed a couple of seasons ago when we played Dalkeith (Ironmills) at the Jewel ....two well mannered middle aged bowlers from Dalkeith approached me & asked to speak to our "selectors"...i laughed ..."selectors...we dont have them down here...we have a captain who picks 12 out of the available 15 players we sometimes have at our disposal" ...
    Found out recently that for all the supposed strength of the Fife leagues.. the clubs over there only field one team a week too..and a 12 man team at that!

Some EBL clubs do field up 48 players a week, but the third teams are 8 a side, so they put out 1st and 2nd 16's then a third 8 (and 4th 8 if necessary).

The EBL quoted a figure last year I can't remember exactly the figure but it was something along the lines of 1400 players participating competitively every Wednesday night!

Always found it weird that Jewel don't play in the Edinburgh leagues. There's Niddrie which is further out yet they play in the EBL.

Never played at Jewel which after 22 years playing is some feat (mind you I never played at a few clubs to date - Colinton Mains, Ardmillan, Craigmillar Park, Brunstane).

Don't know the history but did Jewel not play in the same league as Niddrie before? You both play District 11 but different leagues! Remember we beat a triple from Jewel in the 1998 District 11 triples final when I played for Tanfield. The Jewel triple was pretty decent but were on a tricky rink at the Berry. One of the Jewel triples was sporting a classic porn star tash!!