PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod walks...

duncs
30-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Just noticed that A-Rod has chose to leave the Yankees (announced during Game 4 of the World Series, coincidence I think not). Would love to see him at the BoSox, but just glad that the Yankees aren't keeping him - anyone thinking we might start to see the beginning of the end for the Yanks?

Shrekko
30-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Just noticed that A-Rod has chose to leave the Yankees (announced during Game 4 of the World Series, coincidence I think not). Would love to see him at the BoSox, but just glad that the Yankees aren't keeping him - anyone thinking we might start to see the beginning of the end for the Yanks?

The 'end' of what? Paying over the odds for hitters who cant produce when it matters and are generally selfish as*-holes? I sure hope so!! Giambi next hopefully.

Sylar
30-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Hope A-Rod will be swayed to join Leyland at Detroit next season. Just like old times.

Can you imagine the Tiger offence if A-Rod were to sign on?!

Ordonez, Sheffield, A-Rod, Inge, Rodriguez, Polanco, Perez and from what i've heard, Ichiro from the Mariners.

My goodness that would be class :thumbsup:

Don't think he'd move to the BoSox - his life would be miserable!

Shrekko
30-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Hope A-Rod will be swayed to join Leyland at Detroit next season. Just like old times.

Can you imagine the Tiger offence if A-Rod were to sign on?!

Ordonez, Sheffield, A-Rod, Inge, Rodriguez, Polanco, Perez and from what i've heard, Ichiro from the Mariners.

My goodness that would be class :thumbsup:

Don't think he'd move to the BoSox - his life would be miserable!

The Tigers are another team that dont need him IMO. Maybe they'll remember his 'performance' against them in the ALDCS last season!!

Pretty sure Detroit arent getting Ichiro either btw. They have just signed one of Leyland's old prodigies though- Edgar Renteria.

Sylar
30-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Pretty sure Detroit arent getting Ichiro either btw. They have just signed one of Leyland's old prodigies though- Edgar Renteria.

It was 3rd hand information to be fair - i just hoped it was true! He's not long signed an extension to his current deal right enough so you're probably right. Source wasn't overly hot anyway!!!!

Our problem isn't our offence just now anyway - we need to strengthen our bullpen as that was what let us down last season - lack of cover for Verlander, Rogers and Zumaya. Our other pitchers were mediocre at best.

Renteria will help to strengthening us! :agree:

Shrekko
30-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Our problem isn't our offence just now anyway - we need to strengthen our bullpen as that was what let us down last season - lack of cover for Verlander, Rogers and Zumaya. Our other pitchers were mediocre at best.

:agree:

Going off topic here but in my opinion the Tigers would be on a par with the Red Sox if they slightly improved their middle innings bull-pen and also got Bonderman properly fit for next season.

Big Ed
30-10-2007, 10:32 PM

Rick Sutcliffe said on Sunday night that he thought that the Red Sox would not move for Rodriguez because he and Varitek simply do not like each other (Remember Varitek shoving his mit in Rodriguez's face in 2004).
I know that Sutcliffe talks a lot of old sh*te most of the time, but this rings true.
I doubt very much that the Red Sox front office would want to p*ss off their Captain by signing the Post Season Choker.

Big Ed
30-10-2007, 10:38 PM
:agree:

Going off topic here but in my opinion the Tigers would be on a par with the Red Sox if they slightly improved their middle innings bull-pen and also got Bonderman properly fit for next season.

I could not see past the Tigers after they easily swept the Red Sox around about July time.
I still cannot believe how badly they faded.
It will be interesting to see how Renteria gets on in Motown. Tony LaRussa said that when he left St. Louis for Boston, he would struggle in the face of a relentless media. So it proved. Then off to the relative tranquility of Atlanta, where he thrived again.
Has he jumped back into the fire with the Tigers?

Sylar
30-10-2007, 11:02 PM
I could not see past the Tigers after they easily swept the Red Sox around about July time.
I still cannot believe how badly they faded.
It will be interesting to see how Renteria gets on in Motown. Tony LaRussa said that when he left St. Louis for Boston, he would struggle in the face of a relentless media. So it proved. Then off to the relative tranquility of Atlanta, where he thrived again.
Has he jumped back into the fire with the Tigers?

I don't think he has to be fair. A club like Boston carries a prestige due to the nature and size of the franchise. They're a team based on fantastic individuals as opposed to team unity, although that isn't affecting them so far this season.

I reckon we have more of a team ethos at Detroit where it's less about individuals and more about the unit. I reckon Renteria will waltz comfortably in the Motor City as he's walking into a team where it's expected the team will do well, not individuals. The pressure is more on our team at the moment than the individuals. Even when Ordonez was in line to storm the MVP for this year, he didn't seem phased and said on numerous occassions excelled! Same goes for Granderson - he was chasing the first 20-20-20-20-20 in decades. He maintained that the focus was on the franchise succeeding, not him.

We may have faded rather badly towards the end of the season, but this has been a superb 2 years after all the crap years we've suffered.

As a side note, i'm chuffed the BoSox are doing quite so well this year. Lot of family in Boston and they're my second team :greengrin

Shrekko
01-11-2007, 12:31 AM
I
I reckon we have more of a team ethos at Detroit where it's less about individuals and more about the unit.

Aye... so why the heck were you fantasising about having A-Rod then??! :greengrin

mouvran
05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Who are the favourite to get him then?

Surely he could really take his pick out of anywhere. West coast possibly?

Big Ed
07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Who are the favourite to get him then?

Surely he could really take his pick out of anywhere. West coast possibly?

There is a meeting of all of the General Managers in Florida right now. Apparently none of them are publicly stating that they are in the hunt for Rodriguez, but I think that the Angels or the Dodgers are most likely to have a go at getting him.
The idea of him working with Torre again appears, on the face of it to be appealing, but the Dodgers are a wee bit stingy.
The Angels are in the shadow of the Dodgers, so if they were to bring A-Rod to Holywood, then they might see that as an investment in the franchise.

HibsMax
08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Would hate to see that prick at the Sox. Just my opinion of course. :wink:

Shrekko
10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Would hate to see that prick at the Sox. Just my opinion of course. :wink:

I can totally understand that, but you have to say that A-Rod to Boston probably makes more sense than him going anywhere else. They have the money and they may have the need- even if Lowell re-signs, the Red Sox would probably be tempted to look at the possibility of trading Julio Lugo and getting A-Rod in at short-stop... where he is best. Red Sox management desperately wanted him before-so why not now?

There are only 2 teams who can easily justify giving a guy $30 milllion a year and he's just left one of them. The fact he has a reputation for not doing it when it matters will hardly matter in a team with Ortiz and Ramirez but then again he probably wouldnt have the bottle to do it and most likely wants a team where he is the only superstar.

In almost every possible scenario for where he might end up there are huge question marks. They say his agent is a genius and he has been in the past, but I reckon this one could back-fire as his options seem pretty limited at the moment.