PDA

View Full Version : Why we hate the English

EasterRoad4Ever
14-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Any Scot watching the South Africa v Argentina RWC semi will understand precisely why we hate the Engerlish. Not one minute or move goes by without the commentators referring to "Johnny this, Johnny that ", poor ol' Josh Lucy" Engerland are just "30 mates having a good time".

The incessent DRIVEL coming out of these sad egits during one of the most important sporting events of the year typifies everything hatable about the arrogant English. They can't see beyond the end of their own noses. Their hypocitical and blatantly obvious support of the Argies is also abhorent :brickwall. They truely are a nation to detest :greengrin

Hibercelona
14-10-2007, 07:49 PM
are they as bad as the Americans? :duck:

NaeTechnoHibby
14-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I put it oan mute after 1 minute :thumbsup:

After their opening gambit about who is gonna face England :bitchy:

Nearly time to watch Michael Palin :thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
14-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Agree, they should be talking about the game they are commentating on - not wall-to-wall England, (as usual).

So predictable.

Alex B
14-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I don't hate the English. Never have.

Mikey K
14-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Their inane drivel is ruining the game - ITV should be ashamed of their biased coverage. When the Scottish guys on Setanta commentate on the Bundesliga they actually commentate on the match, and german football in general. I know England are in the final, but please allow neutrals to enjoy the other semi.:bitchy:

EastStandHibby
14-10-2007, 07:57 PM

I dont hate em either, I DETEST THEM :thumbsup:

NaeTechnoHibby
14-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I put it oan mute after 1 minute :thumbsup:

After their opening gambit about who is gonna face England :bitchy:

Nearly time to watch Michael Palin :thumbsup:

Michael Palin's English and I like him :greengrin

Hate the English media though :bitchy:

Their inane drivel is ruining the game - ITV should be ashamed of their biased coverage. When the Scottish guys on Setanta commentate on the Bundesliga they actually commentate on the match, and german football in general. I know England are in the final, but please allow neutrals to enjoy the other semi.:bitchy:

Put it oan mute then :greengrin

toaosi
14-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I dont hate em either, I DETEST THEM :thumbsup:

On the bright side at least the SA performance should put their gas at a peep(even a tiny bit) for the rest of the week.And surely it makes next weeks final even more funny, ala a penalty shooy out in a semi final:greengrin

macca70
14-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Cheating english video ref, no danger that was a try.

Makes for a more exiting 2nd half though.

EasterRoad4Ever
14-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Cheating english video ref, no danger that was a try.

Makes for a more exiting 2nd half though.

Agreed. The Argie BOUNCED the ball in touch :brickwall The Engish "commentators" are creaming themselves over the possibility of an Argentinian comeback. Oh, and what about the switched ball conspiratory against " Johnny". I'm keep the sound turned up cause it just reconfirms that I want NOTHING to do with these embarrasing English clowns. Sooner the SNP turn the screw the better :agree:

Broken Gnome
14-10-2007, 08:11 PM
That minute of commentary, "joke" and all, was utterly cringe worthy.

Sod all this defining our feelings towards England - as a sporting entity and nation they are utterly despisable.

Hibee Reb
14-10-2007, 08:11 PM
It's quite boring to read all this drivel about hating all the English tbh, claiming us all to be arrogant and what not. It's nice to see that you think we're all the same.

Littlest Hobo
14-10-2007, 08:12 PM
We're just a back water to them. Waste land with mountains and streams. Cauld, wet and miserable. :dummytit: Lets face it, we are second class in this united kingdom, along with the welsh and the norn oirish.:agree: Til we get our independence and stop taking pocket money frae the dirty beggers, we will never be in the same league in their eyes.:brickwall I don't hate them, i just think that they are doing what any nation would do if they got to a world cup final. It's just that we in this united kingdom who are not of english blood get it rammed doon our throats and it's hard to to swallow.:dummytit: I hope they get gubbed.:thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
14-10-2007, 08:16 PM
It's quite boring to read all this drivel about hating all the English tbh, claiming us all to be arrogant and what not. It's nice to see that you think we're all the same.

Teenage sense like this gives me hope... :thumbsup:

gbhibby
14-10-2007, 08:17 PM
The guy who is backing up the commentator is someting else. Sounds like he has been on the p1sh. Even made a comment abount Jonny Wilkinson refering to the grassy knoll and repositary building talking about accuracy of shooting for goal. a bit distasteful.

hibby19
14-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't hate them. Have english family.

If it was us do you not think we would be arrogant aswell?

HiBremian
14-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I suspect anti-English anger is down to the fact that, in this so-called island of nations, we get 90% English coverage of sport rather than British. And the English commentators can't figure out how to address an international (ie Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish and English) audience. So we get the crazy situation where Scotland are playing a vital qualifier yesterday, but we all have to watch bloody Engerland against Estonia. Jeez, would Austrians stand getting only German matches live on Austrian telly rather than Austrian matches?

British media just don't work. All Scottish broadcasters need to be totally independent from doon south, otherwise they're just stirring up all this hatred.:bitchy:

EasterRoad4Ever
14-10-2007, 08:21 PM

Every Englishman carries the SHAME of 400 years of oppression. Problem is that most are too arrogant to realise it :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
14-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Every Englishman carries the SHAME of 400 years of oppression. Problem is that most are too arrogant to realise it :greengrin

By that same logic, every British person, including Scots, carries the shame of the excesses of Empire.

By that same logic, we are equally culpable for the death of every innocent person in Iraq.

Baron von Hibee
14-10-2007, 08:28 PM
They truely are a nation to detest :greengrin

Moved to Other Sports as this is primarily and should remain a debate about the poor rugby commentary.

Any more blatant racism along the lines above will not be tolerated. Nobody would tolerate some of the statements already posted on here being aimed at more or less any other nationality on earth.

CropleyWasGod
14-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Moved to Other Sports as this is primarily and should remain a debate about the poor rugby commentary.

Any more blatant racism along the lines above will not be tolerated. Nobody would tolerate some of the statements already posted on here being aimed at more or less any other nationality on earth.

Well said. Some of the stuff on here is embarrassing and obnoxious.

Pete
14-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Any Scot watching the South Africa v Argentina RWC semi will understand precisely why we hate the Engerlish. Not one minute or move goes by without the commentators referring to "Johnny this, Johnny that ", poor ol' Josh Lucy" Engerland are just "30 mates having a good time".

The incessent DRIVEL coming out of these sad egits during one of the most important sporting events of the year typifies everything hatable about the arrogant English. They can't see beyond the end of their own noses. Their hypocitical and blatantly obvious support of the Argies is also abhorent :brickwall. They truely are a nation to detest :greengrin

You, and those who agree with you sound so insecure.

It surely can't be insecurity relating to your own identity because we as a nation have so much to be proud of, what with our football team.

england are in the final and are awaiting the outcome of this match to see who they will play. It's only natural for the commentators to be slightly "patriotic"

I'm actually quite angry that such pathetic, small minded attitudes such as yours are allowed to present themselves as the general feelings of the scots towards the English.

Attitudes like that give the scots a bad name.

EasterRoad4Ever
14-10-2007, 08:32 PM
By that same logic, every British person, including Scots, carries the shame of the excesses of Empire.

By that same logic, we are equally culpable for the death of every innocent person in Iraq.

British Government in London has always and continues to dictate foreign policy. Your point ????

CropleyWasGod
14-10-2007, 08:37 PM
British Government in London has always and continues to dictate foreign policy. Your point ????

My point is to show up the inanity of your post tarring all Englishmen with the "shame of oppression".

nonshinyfinish
14-10-2007, 08:48 PM

at least a couple of people are talking sense. much as i enjoyed Scotland's victory (and indeed the entire qualifying campaign so far), it never fails to drag up all this pathetic flag-waving *****e. and yes, i know people are talking about the rugby here, but i've spent the entire weekend being pissed off by the 'wha's like us' brigade. virtue of the vicious, indeed.

Hibby D
14-10-2007, 11:32 PM

As long as you know that not ALL of us think that way :agree:

Don't hate them. Have english family.

If it was us do you not think we would be arrogant aswell?

You bet we would - and the irony of it all is the blanket arrogance (or should I say, ignorance) shown towards English people by some of my fellow Scots in this thread.

Why do some folk use over zealous and blinkered commentators as an excuse to 'hate' a nation :confused:

Hibee Reb
15-10-2007, 12:24 AM
As long as you know that not ALL of us think that way :agree:
Definitely not, I have a massive amount of family in Scotland (I'm half Scottish) and there has never been an Scottish v English argument that has gone past being banter that I can remember. Just some silly people in this thread and it's good to see some folk giving them stick for it. I just hope next time I'm up for a game I don't end up sat next to one of them :agree:

Ed De Gramo
15-10-2007, 06:54 AM
At the end of the day, The English are watercannon loving people....

I don't hate them, but I'm not particualry a fan of how they are all up themselves when it comes to biased commentary...

If I was English, i'd cringe every time that buffoon Ian Wright is analysing fitba because it's quite pathetic :agree:

CropleyWasGod
15-10-2007, 08:04 AM
At the end of the day, The English are watercannon loving people....
I don't hate them, but I'm not particualry a fan of how they are all up themselves when it comes to biased commentary...

If I was English, i'd cringe every time that buffoon Ian Wright is analysing fitba because it's quite pathetic :agree:

Ok, before i either praise/kiss/slap/slag you..... gonny put an old man out his misery and translate that particular phrase for me? :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
15-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I suspect anti-English anger is down to the fact that, in this so-called island of nations, we get 90% English coverage of sport rather than British. And the English commentators can't figure out how to address an international (ie Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish and English) audience. So we get the crazy situation where Scotland are playing a vital qualifier yesterday, but we all have to watch bloody Engerland against Estonia. Jeez, would Austrians stand getting only German matches live on Austrian telly rather than Austrian matches?

British media just don't work. All Scottish broadcasters need to be totally independent from doon south, otherwise they're just stirring up all this hatred.:bitchy:

What about the blatant disregard for England v Russia on Wednesday night? Sky show that while the BBC show Scotland's game.

Still a disgrace?

steakbake
15-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Definitely not, I have a massive amount of family in Scotland (I'm half Scottish) and there has never been an Scottish v English argument that has gone past being banter that I can remember. Just some silly people in this thread and it's good to see some folk giving them stick for it. I just hope next time I'm up for a game I don't end up sat next to one of them :agree:

Definitely right there, squire.

I'm a nationalist through and through and I have no time whatsoever for this "Scotland hates England" stuff. I don't hate "the English" (all 60-odd million of them). I'm tired of it. It does about as much favours to the Scottish cause than halfwits like Kelvin McKenzie and his like do for the British cause.

Yes, I find the fatuous commentators on BBC pretty hard to take at times and all the "England Expects" stuff that comes about through it all.

I was doing my nut in today when a 5 minute interview with former Springbok player Robert Fleck (not formerly of Norwich!!) in which he was asked "Are South Africa worried about facing England?" to which he answered "Yes, a little bit. They can get drop goals from pretty much anywhere on the park but they have problems with getting tries" turned into the sports headline "The Springboks are worried about the upcoming final with England".

But if we're looking for someone to blame for not - by now in 2007 - getting Scottish matches on Scottish television, or a Scottish view or voice on what is going on in the world - then we probably don't have to look too far from home for the guilty party.

bawheid
15-10-2007, 12:22 PM
What about the blatant disregard for England v Russia on Wednesday night? Sky show that while the BBC show Scotland's game.

Still a disgrace?

Exactly. BBC Scotland are given every opportunity to bid for Scotland's home games, as are STV. They either decide not to, or don't bid enough. The analagy with Austria and Germany is totally different.

I actually think the turnaround in England's team spirit and organisation has been one of the major stories of this Rugby WC. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they won it....

In fact I might support them, just so's I can have a good chuckle at all the paranoid quasi-racists on here greetin' just because an English commentator dares to show some bias...

James70
15-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Let's not blame all of the English just because of the actions of some biased morons who work in their media.

I'm talking not only about the rugby and football commentators but also their journalists (eg Kelvin McKenzie) and the controllers of the BBC Newsroom who think that England beating Estonia is a greater and more important feat than Scotland beating Ukraine.

We would not be happy to all be tarred with the same brush and there are probably overall more English who want to see Scotland do well than there are Scots who want to see England win matches.

Let us not forget also that we have English players who we are regularly giving great praise to on these threads. Do we really hate these players as well? I'm sure that Hibs also have many supporters who were born and raised in England but who now live in Edinburgh and have chosen to follow our team.

Yes, there are many times that I am incensed by what I read in the papers or hear on the television but I do not blame the whole English race for the actions of a few. Most English sports fans are just being patriotic toward their own nation in the same way that the Scots are patriotic toward our teams.

Hibs FC No 1
15-10-2007, 04:58 PM
EasterRoad4Ever and the rest of the muppets, you are precisely the reason that I dislike the Tartan Army with a passion these days. Was your DVD player broken on Sunday night, so you had to watch the rugger instead of your nightly showing of Braveheart? Face it you muppet, if Scotland won anything like a World Cup, you and the media would be ramming it right down everyone's throats the same way the English do. And also do you think that I'm looking forward to the sight of Dougie Donnelly, Pat Nevin and the rest of the BBC Weegie mob all over my telly during next summer, dressed in garish tartan outfits and telling us Scotland are going to go all the way to the final? Along with the 30th anniversary re-release of "Ecky's Tartan Army"? Puhleeeze! I'm already planning an escape for those dates.

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Let's not blame all of the English just because of the actions of some biased morons who work in their media.

I'm talking not only about the rugby and football commentators but also their journalists (eg Kelvin McKenzie) and the controllers of the BBC Newsroom who think that England beating Estonia is a greater and more important feat than Scotland beating Ukraine.

We would not be happy to all be tarred with the same brush and there are probably overall more English who want to see Scotland do well than there are Scots who want to see England win matches.

Let us not forget also that we have English players who we are regularly giving great praise to on these threads. Do we really hate these players as well? I'm sure that Hibs also have many supporters who were born and raised in England but who now live in Edinburgh and have chosen to follow our team.

Yes, there are many times that I am incensed by what I read in the papers or hear on the television but I do not blame the whole English race for the actions of a few. Most English sports fans are just being patriotic toward their own nation in the same way that the Scots are patriotic toward our teams.

Nice to hear some common sense in quite a few of the threads on here instead of the normal moronic quotes. And just for the record I don't hate all the Scottish just the blinkered anti English ones. :agree:

The Green Goblin
15-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I think this thread would have been alright if it had been (more correctly) titled:

Why we hate the English sports commentators

If you read the very first post, that's what it's all about. Think we have to be careful about starting with one or two over-excited old men with microphones doing our nut in and ending up with condemning an entire nation, much of which also contains English ethnic minorities who have additional allegiances. For example, do you include Bangladeshi and Pakistani English born people in your definition of "English"? It's silly.

If people are more specific, then it avoids all this nonsense. So, if your thread had been titled "Why we hate the English commentators", I would have agreed with you - they do my heid in, but that's where it starts and stops for me.

The world is a small place now, and we no longer live in a society, anywhere in the world, where a certain country is only populated by the people named after it. Scotland is no longer lived in by Scots. England is no longer populated by English people. In Scotland, and England, alongside those who are from Scottish and English ancestry or family, there are Polish, Czech, Indian, Chinese, Bangaldeshi, Australian, American, Welsh, Irish, Icelandic, French, German, Italian, Japanese and so on and so on and so on....

If it's the commentary that does your nut in, then just say so, and don't unreasonably hold 50 million people, from varying ethnic and social backgrounds, responsible for one old fud's irritating babble.

I mean, I have never heard anyone saying "I hate the Scots" because they watched an episode of River City, or saw a show with Craig Hill in it, but by God they'd have just as much right to say that if you applied your argument.

GG

CropleyWasGod
15-10-2007, 06:41 PM
EasterRoad4Ever and the rest of the muppets, you are precisely the reason that I dislike the Tartan Army with a passion these days. .

Isn't that tarring all members of the TA with the same brush, exactly what the sensible posters have been arguing against? Trust me, not all are of that same nature that you despise.

--------
15-10-2007, 06:59 PM

First of all, mate, there's no such person as "we" in this context. I don't hate "the English" - I TRY not to hate anyone, although sometimes I find it difficult.

The problem is that the commentary on the World Egg-Cup Tournament has been rank bad all through. NOT just because most of the commentators seem unable to see beyond the possibility of England retaining the trophy, but because a lot of people (myself included) get tired sick of the sort of macho posturing most of these sad gits seem to think equates with manhood. (The Scots presenters on STV had to be seen to be believed, btw - three villages sadly bereft of their idiots for the duration.) But that's your rugger buggers for you.

So yup, most of this is drivel. We have a legitimate complaint that so often the mainline national news and sports programs again seem to equate "England" with "Britain" - that's irritating - and poor old Motty really ought to grow up and realise that it's more than 40 years since "the glorious summer of '66" - but then, if it had been Scotland who won it back then, WE'd be boring the pants off YOU about it.

Cheer up, mate - nil carborundum illegitimis! :devil:

Ed De Gramo
15-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, before i either praise/kiss/slap/slag you..... gonny put an old man out his misery and translate that particular phrase for me? :wink:

Every major fitba tournement they are at, there's fans who just love to clash with the police and get the old watercannon unleashed on them :greengrin

Then the English press defend them saying it was the other team fans that instigated it :agree:

Hibs FC No 1
15-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Those people who are moaning about the BBC's English bias should remember what it's Scottish News is like too, you'd be forgiven for thinking Glasgow was the only city in the country.

Joe Baker II
16-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I dislike rugby union and the English rugby union team and supporters, but I dislike Scotland at rugby union far more because of what it represents in Edinburgh -Anglicisation, snobbery, schools preventing children playing and discouraging watching football, different treatment toward rugby union supporters from authorities, sports attitude toward rugby league among many other issues.

Re English football, Scottish football supporters wishing English clubs and national team to lose is intellectually justifiable because if they do well it just increases the dominant media coverage of the English game, increase the number of situations where Scottish football as important game that are not covered on TV when English gmaes are, plus English football doing badly probably indirectly means more money to the Socttish game plus indirect impact on Socttish self-confidence as well. Whether one likes certain individual English people or not completely irrelevant.

--------
16-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I think this thread would have been alright if it had been (more correctly) titled:

Why we hate the English sports commentators

If you read the very first post, that's what it's all about. Think we have to be careful about starting with one or two over-excited old men with microphones doing our nut in and ending up with condemning an entire nation, much of which also contains English ethnic minorities who have additional allegiances. For example, do you include Bangladeshi and Pakistani English born people in your definition of "English"? It's silly.

If people are more specific, then it avoids all this nonsense. So, if your thread had been titled "Why we hate the English commentators", I would have agreed with you - they do my heid in, but that's where it starts and stops for me.

The world is a small place now, and we no longer live in a society, anywhere in the world, where a certain country is only populated by the people named after it. Scotland is no longer lived in by Scots. England is no longer populated by English people. In Scotland, and England, alongside those who are from Scottish and English ancestry or family, there are Polish, Czech, Indian, Chinese, Bangaldeshi, Australian, American, Welsh, Irish, Icelandic, French, German, Italian, Japanese and so on and so on and so on....

If it's the commentary that does your nut in, then just say so, and don't unreasonably hold 50 million people, from varying ethnic and social backgrounds, responsible for one old fud's irritating babble.

I mean, I have never heard anyone saying "I hate the Scots" because they watched an episode of River City, or saw a show with Craig Hill in it, but by God they'd have just as much right to say that if you applied your argument.

GG

I really could only feel pity for anyone who inadvertently switched on their TV and got "River City". Or "Eastenders", come to that. But that's because my taste doesn't extend to soap operas. Other people like them, and although I cn't understand the attraction, that fact doesn't hurt me unless they try to force me to watch along with them.

I'd be seriously concerned for anyone who conceived a burning hatred of all things Scottish after watching Craig Hill... :cool2:

I can't even agree with you about "English sports commentators", though.

The ones commentating on the Rugby WC have been awful, IMO, but not just because of a bias towards England - they don't actually tell you what's going on. When I think back to the days of Bill McLaren and Bill Beaumont working together as one team, and Nigel Starmer-Smith and Gareth Edwards the other team commmentating on the old Five Nations and so on, it makes me want to weep.

Similarly, I have no problem with the Test Match Special boys, but there are times (several per test Match, actually) when I'd dearly love to shove a cricket bat, plus all six stumps AND bails, up Mark Nicholas's anal orifice. Whereas dear old opinionated Geoff Boycott's just a bit of a character.

And I KNOW I'm banging on about it, and I'm sorry if it's getting up people's noses (well, no, I'm not really - I quite like irritating people) but Scottish sports commentators generally are DIRE, and the football ones are particularly dire. And if we think the English media can be a horde of bombastic, jingoistic, flag-waving morons, wait till Scotland qualify for Euro 2008 and see what some of OUR lot are capable of......

(It's started already.)

IndieHibby
16-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm a Scot and I live in England. I cannot agree more with the following comment:

We would not be happy to all be tarred with the same brush and there are probably overall more English who want to see Scotland do well than there are Scots who want to see England win matches.:agree:

MOST ENGLISH PEOPLE SUPPORT SCOTLAND!!! :brickwall

In fact, most English people think that all Scots hate them, but have no idea why. I agree - I don't know why lots of Scots hate the current generation of English people. As if they were responsible for the clearances, etc etc.

What does piss them off, however, is when Scots 'hate' the English even though they support Scotland.

Scotland's problem with England is EXACTLY THAT - a Scottish problem. WE need to sort it out - not them....