PDA

View Full Version : Does any Scot want England to win?

Greentinted
13-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Without being stereotypically parrochial I'm backing the French purely because from the two teams on show tonight, they would grace the final as opposed to the stop/start spoilers and kickers in the iffy red and white strip!

Gatecrasher
13-10-2007, 06:49 PM
i want them to win :agree:

Sir David Gray
13-10-2007, 06:56 PM
In a word, no. :cool2:

Greentinted
13-10-2007, 07:00 PM
i want them to win :agree:

Any particular reason?

Gatecrasher
13-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Any particular reason?

aye, half my family are english and have always been very supportive of scotland in major competitions ad qualifyers, i just like to return the support to them,

i also realise the media are a bunch of fannys, but iv learned not to listen to them.

i get slagged all the time for it, but im no that bothered about that :agree:

AndyP
13-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Without being stereotypically parrochial I'm backing the French purely because from the two teams on show tonight, they would grace the final as opposed to the stop/start spoilers and kickers in the iffy red and white strip!

Having watched 3 of the quarter finals in a Paris bar last weekend and seeing how many French came and supported Argentina last Sunday, damn straight I do.

Add to the fact that a few of the players there are from the rugby team I support sort of pushes me into it as well.

Greentinted
13-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Fair play.
The French look helluva nervous. A very mediocre English team may well be in the driving seat here. Although, given the nature of the opening try, how the commentator has the front to say the French are lucky is a tad silly!

AndyP
13-10-2007, 07:12 PM
aye, half my family are english and have always been very supportive of scotland in major competitions ad qualifyers, i just like to return the support to them,

i also realise the media are a bunch of fannys, but iv learned not to listen to them.

Had a very good Sunday night last weekend in the presence of a handful of England fans(and a fair few optimistic Irish ones) have to agree, certain aspects of the media coverage embarrass them whilst for the majority they are very knowledgeable and passionate about the game.

Gatecrasher
13-10-2007, 07:26 PM

i thought that would have came out ******

there you go then eh :greengrin

Hibs FC No 1
14-10-2007, 07:27 AM
OK, FAO the jingoistic Nationalist clowns wherever they are who are at this moment desperately trying to learn the Argentine or South African anthems ahead of next week and who probably have only become remotely interested in rugby because of the World Cup, Just stop for a moment, forget all about Mel Gibson and those blue-faced kilted warriors fighting that horrible English army, and think. This is 2007, in this day and age, Scotland and England are friends. Hundreds and thousands of Scots have English relatives and friends and also live and work there. I for one will be backing England to do it again next week, as not only are they our best mates, but it's also good knowing that we have the world champions in our annual Six Nations.

C'mon England!

danhibees1875
14-10-2007, 10:54 AM
i want england to fail in any sporting event they compete in.
:agree:

m3llow1
15-10-2007, 02:48 PM

A large majority of my family are English, i live in England, both my kids are English, my wife is English, i was even christened C of E in Norfolk...
Still doesn't stop me cheering against 'The Auld Enemy'
At the end of the day, it's only a game and it would be boring without the cheery banter!

steakbake
15-10-2007, 03:00 PM
OK, FAO the jingoistic Nationalist clowns wherever they are who are at this moment desperately trying to learn the Argentine or South African anthems ahead of next week and who probably have only become remotely interested in rugby because of the World Cup, Just stop for a moment, forget all about Mel Gibson and those blue-faced kilted warriors fighting that horrible English army, and think. This is 2007, in this day and age, Scotland and England are friends. Hundreds and thousands of Scots have English relatives and friends and also live and work there. I for one will be backing England to do it again next week, as not only are they our best mates, but it's also good knowing that we have the world champions in our annual Six Nations.

C'mon England!

Don't call these people nationalists. They represent about as much the SNP or Scottish view of things as Kelvin McKenzie represents the views of the English.

Cheering or booing England: both are out of some misguided kind of sense of duty. Personally, I would rather watch the final knowing that there are two countries playing in it who deserve to be there and the best one will win on the day.

I'm just sad that my country isn't in the final. I don't see any reason why I should pick one out of the two who are and I see no reason why deciding not to support either of them should be interpreted as "I hate South Africa" or "I hate England".

I'll be enjoying the game as a neutral, but as a sports fan. It's going to be an absolutely cracking match, though.

Falkirk Hibby
15-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Don't call these people nationalists. They represent about as much the SNP or Scottish view of things as Kelvin McKenzie represents the views of the English.

Cheering or booing England: both are out of some misguided kind of sense of duty. Personally, I would rather watch the final knowing that there are two countries playing in it who deserve to be there and the best one will win on the day.

I'm just sad that my country isn't in the final. I don't see any reason why I should pick one out of the two who are and I see no reason why deciding not to support either of them should be interpreted as "I hate South Africa" or "I hate England".

I'll be enjoying the game as a neutral, but as a sports fan. It's going to be an absolutely cracking match, though.

Excellent post. :agree:

Gatecrasher
15-10-2007, 07:17 PM
A large majority of my family are English, i live in England, both my kids are English, my wife is English, i was even christened C of E in Norfolk...
Still doesn't stop me cheering against 'The Auld Enemy'
At the end of the day, it's only a game and it would be boring without the cheery banter!

i agree with that there is nothing wrong with a friendly banter, but i think a lot of people take their "hatred" for the english too far :agree:

IWasThere2016
15-10-2007, 08:09 PM
i want england to fail in any sporting event they compete in.
:agree:

:agree: I've English roots .. means nowt .. Mon the Afrikaans! :thumbsup:

Hibee Reb
15-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm English but I want them to lose in the final, I couldn't stand hearing nothing but news about Rugby Yawnion all the time.

Ivan Drago
15-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I want them to win :agree:

Joe Baker II
16-10-2007, 01:19 PM
After the event and no time for either team or its following but would be England on a marginally less disliked basis, given what the French rugby union did to rugby league in France during the second world war and their subsequent lack of atonement.

Although, if I was English I would probably be wanting England to lose.

iwasthere1972
20-10-2007, 04:49 PM

DEFINITELY NO

:doh::doh: Thought this was a thread on the South Africa v England final.

HarpyHibby
20-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I hope they get well and truely humped.

HarpyHibby
20-10-2007, 05:02 PM
DEFINITELY NO

:doh::doh: Thought this was a thread on the South Africa v England final.

I hope they get well and truely humped.

So did I. :greengrin :doh:

maximushibee
20-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Come On The Springboks Oh And Btw Russia Aint Gonny Drop Points Either So They Wont Be Going To Euro 2008 We As Scotland We'll Be There Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy

sKipper
20-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Russia 2 England 1 :greengrin

England 6 South Africa 15 :greengrin

Now if Hamilton could just skelp a wall or something tomorrow it would make a good week ! :agree:

I'm_cabbaged
21-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Russia 2 England 1 :greengrin

England 6 South Africa 15 :greengrin

Now if Hamilton could just skelp a wall or something tomorrow it would make a good week ! :agree:

:bitchy:

puncture on the 2nd last corner would do :greengrin

Hibs FC No 1
21-10-2007, 09:03 AM
oh do grow up children, oh btw didn't you hear, Alex Salmond was supporting England last night, amazing considering you vote for his party on the basis of some jingoistic hatred. I applaud the English on a brave effort last night and hopefully Lewis Hamilton delivers today.

Gatecrasher
21-10-2007, 09:25 AM
oh do grow up children, oh btw didn't you hear, Alex Salmond was supporting England last night, amazing considering you vote for his party on the basis of some jingoistic hatred. I applaud the English on a brave effort last night and hopefully Lewis Hamilton delivers today.
pot call kettle black after your thread about scotland eh! :bye:

bingo70
21-10-2007, 12:04 PM

why would we need to grow up 'cos we want our closest sporting rivals to lose a sporting match.

england want germany to lose at football
argies want brazil to lose at footbal
germans want the dutch to lose at football
new zealenders want australia to lose at rugby
india want pakistan to lose at cricket

many more examples of sporting rivals wanting another nation to get humped regularly, do all these nations need to grow up as well or just us 'cos we dare challenge the arrogance of england?

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-10-2007, 12:23 PM

So every Scot who likes to see England lose at sporting events also supports the SNP? :confused: Sweeping generisation there methinks.

If Lewis Hamilton won the F1 that wouldn't bother me, he ain't representing England, he'd be winning it for himself.

IMO in these cases, for Scotland/England, see Hibs/Hearts. They are sporting rivals and in sport, most people (not all) like to see their local rivals fail.

As a Hibs fan, do you like to see Hearts doing well? If Hibs are knocked out of a competition or cannot win it, would you prefer Hearts to win it instead? Do you support them, or have a wee giggle if they get humped? :wink: