PDA

View Full Version : world cup quarter finals

bingo70
05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
6 October:
QF1: Australia v England, Marseille (1400 BST)
QF2: New Zealand v France, Cardiff (2000 BST)
7 October:
QF3: South Africa v Fiji, Marseille (1400 BST)
QF4: Argentina v Scotland, Stade de France, Paris (2000 BST)

any shocks to be had here?

new zealand should beat france but think the french record is pretty good against new zealend in the northern hemisphere so wouldnt be too surprised if they pull off a shock, also got sneeky feeling scotland might just surprise a few against argentina, possibly/probably the heart ruling the head but still think we can beat them on sunday if we play to our best and the argies have an off day, theres not that big a gulf between us IMO.

other 2 are foregone conclusions

thoughts?

duncs
05-10-2007, 11:41 AM
You can never right the English off, I don't expect them to win, but just when they look at their worse is when they pull a win out of the bag.

If Scotland beat Argentina it'll be down to discipline and the Argentina's lack of it. Plus we can't turned over the same amount as Ireland did last Sunday.

I just can't see South Africa or New Zealand losing, not this weekend anyway.

Cod Boy
05-10-2007, 03:58 PM
who would scotland play in the semis if they get through

bingo70
05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
who would scotland play in the semis if they get through

south africa assuming they beat fiji.

Cod Boy
05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
south africa assuming they beat fiji.

thank you:thumbsup:

hibs72
05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
France are well known for not travelling well and they are playing in wales so expect the all blacks to triumph.

--------
05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
You can never right the English off, I don't expect them to win, but just when they look at their worse is when they pull a win out of the bag.

If Scotland beat Argentina it'll be down to discipline and Argentina's lack of it. Plus we can't turned over the same amount as Ireland did last Sunday.

I just can't see South Africa or New Zealand losing, not this weekend anyway.

Don't assume that just because they're Latin Americans, the Argentine players will lose the head. They didn't beat France lacking discipline.

AndyP
06-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Don't assume that just because they're Latin Americans, the Argentine players will lose the head. They didn't beat France lacking discipline.

I believe he means discipline at the breakdown and the referees ruling on it, Argentina are sometimes guilty of, in old terms, going over the top when they contest for the ball. Had they played France in a 6 nations type game, they would have coughed up an extra half dozen penalties or so in their own 22, meat and drink points for an international kicker.

IF, and it is a VERY BIG IF, Jutge referees to his normal standard and not to IRB interpretations then I do expect the penalty count against Argentina to be slightly higher than in previous matches. That said at the same times Scotlands front 5 will need to stop the silly penalties they gave away to the Italians, I doubt Argentinas kicker would have missed those ones.

AndyP
06-10-2007, 06:53 AM
France are well known for not travelling well and they are playing in wales so expect the all blacks to triumph.

1999 Twickenham France v ABs, if that's not travelling well they should do it more often :greengrin

--------
06-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I believe he means discipline at the breakdown and the referees ruling on it, Argentina are sometimes guilty of, in old terms, going over the top when they contest for the ball. Had they played France in a 6 nations type game, they would have coughed up an extra half dozen penalties or so in their own 22, meat and drink points for an international kicker.

IF, and it is a VERY BIG IF, Jutge referees to his normal standard and not to IRB interpretations then I do expect the penalty count against Argentina to be slightly higher than in previous matches. That said at the same times Scotlands front 5 will need to stop the silly penalties they gave away to the Italians, I doubt Argentinas kicker would have missed those ones.

:agree: But as you say - even on those terms, Scotland have the same discipline problem as Argentina.

Ach well, there's only one match I'm really caring about this weekend......