PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Capitals v Belfast Giants

PC Stamp
30-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Anyone who's at a loose end Sunday evening (30/9) should get along to Murrayfield Ice Rink for 6pm. The Belfast Giants have been one of the most successful sides of recent years but haven't had a good start to this season. Meanwhile the all new "get stuck right in to everyone" Edinburgh Capitals are protecting an unbeaten home record from the start of the season.

The Norn Irlanders always bring a good support and there's always a good atmosphere at this game.

I predict a fast and furious clash with a good bit of on ice boxing thrown in for good measure.

Could be old time hockey at its best! :agree:

KdyHby
30-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Looking forward to this. The Giants normally bring a good support over :thumbsup:

Pheona
30-09-2007, 08:33 PM
mutter....mumble..... hmph.... :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

and.....and.....who the hell toldCarson he was a referee....

PC Stamp
30-09-2007, 08:36 PM
That was a great advertisement to bring in new fans ... not!
Anyone who went along for the first time tonight will be wondering why would I bither going back!!!

That was a throwback to last seasons rubbish and the only good things about the night were that we won the two fights and my missus won the 50/50 draw!

Belfast looked distinctly average and the Capitals distinctly amateurish!

5-0 Belfast BTW!

PC Stamp
30-09-2007, 08:38 PM
mutter....mumble..... hmph.... :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

and.....and.....who the hell toldCarson he was a referee....

He wasn't quite good enough to be clueless! Made Moray Hanson look NHL standard. :agree:

Obviously got told off by the Cardiff Devils after getting on their wrong side last week.

Toaods
30-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Was it a sell-out??

my neighbour was taking his lad and the lad asked if Morgan could go withthem and her dad apparently said "yes, that would not be a problem if it wasn't sold out".

I read you were expecting a big turn out from Belfast but wondered how do they get back???

Plane from Edinburgh or bus/morning ferry??

Pheona
30-09-2007, 08:44 PM
A fair crowd but not a sell out. Espcially considering the NHL opener was also on at the O2 arena.

Usually the bus/ferry, well when Caps go to Belfast, assuming it is much the same when they come here.

Toaods
30-09-2007, 08:49 PM
A fair crowd but not a sell out.

thought it might have been a bit of parents poetic licence........:wink:

Jay
04-11-2007, 05:19 PM
My boys are away to watch Edinburgh Capitals against Newcastle. They haven't been before but are keen. We got a couple of free kids tickets from my sons school and hopefully they will enjoy it enough to go along now and again :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
My boys are away to watch Edinburgh Capitals against Newcastle. They haven't been before but are keen. We got a couple of free kids tickets from my sons school and hopefully they will enjoy it enough to go along now and again :thumbsup:

They certainly weren't lucky mascots Jill.
Best chance ever to make the Challenge Cup semi finals and the Capitals capitulate 4-0 and once again show zero spirit, zero fight (until young Ross Dalgleish started a fight in the last minute!) and basically zero ability.

Time for the coach to go I fear!

Jay
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
They certainly weren't lucky mascots Jill.
Best chance ever to make the Challenge Cup semi finals and the Capitals capitulate 4-0 and once again show zero spirit, zero fight (until young Ross Dalgleish started a fight in the last minute!) and basically zero ability.

Time for the coach to go I fear!

Scott loved it! The wee ones were a bit fed up but they are like that at the footy too. I think Scott will be back.

PC Stamp
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Scott loved it! The wee ones were a bit fed up but they are like that at the footy too. I think Scott will be back.

Glad he enjoyed it. It's a fantastic sport played at such speed. Unfortunately most teams seem a bit quicker than ours at present!

If he wants to see a proper team, Coventry Blaze the reigning champs and current leaders are at Murrayfield next Sunday. I fear a severe hockey lesson may be dished out! :boo hoo:

Jay
05-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Glad he enjoyed it. It's a fantastic sport played at such speed. Unfortunately most teams seem a bit quicker than ours at present!

If he wants to see a proper team, Coventry Blaze the reigning champs and current leaders are at Murrayfield next Sunday. I fear a severe hockey lesson may be dished out! :boo hoo:

He's got a free ticket for that too so I think he'll manage to persuade his dad to take him back :greengrin

Pheona
05-11-2007, 10:28 AM

Oh blimey! They picked the wrong time to go because they are not at their best at the moment, lots of problems. They couldn't buy a win at the moment.

It is good that they are trying to encourage youngsters to go. Ross loves it.:greengrin

Pheona
05-11-2007, 10:33 AM

This game couldn't come at a worse time really. The defence is really needing something done methinks, and they need a sniper to, start scoring some goals.

He's got a free ticket for that too so I think he'll manage to persuade his dad to take him back :greengrin

Good on him, anyway he's a Hibee he'll be used to the feeling of ....um......despair :greengrin

PC Stamp
05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Fair points F.

If Jeff State did in fact ever make it to the NHL it's not surprising to see why he failed to make it and indeed why he's never made it anywhere else. He's like a big 6ft 8inch pussycat!

Luza is actually well named as he will never be anything else but a Luza!

Stutzel & Crane are two blokes dressed up in a hockey outfit on the ice but then so are the two wee lads who faff around during the intervals as mascots!

Stefischen looks like he's lost if he can't go looking for a scrap ... which was really what was needed early on to gee up the team and fans.

I feel sorry for Hemingway ... or maybe I don't because I suspect he'll be offski shortly just like Silverthorn & Dickenson!

As for Perras ... he'd probably have been safer joining the Army as opposed to playing in net for that lot!

In closing, I also hope the coach has been put on two weeks notice because it's clear that he's either way out of his depth or the players aren't listening to him!

Still we'll likely hear again this week how determined he is to right this ship! :yawn:

stu in nottingham
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Taking a comprehensive beating is bad enough but I always think it's twice as bad when your team gets shut out. There's nothing for the fans to hang on to - nothing to cheer. I recall watching the Nottingham Panthers getting beat by Cleveland at home 0-10 one time. It was worse than embarrasing and I couldn't stand it any longer after the seventh had gone in and retired to the bar! (Must be quite humiliating having been scored on seven times ;-) )

Pheona
05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Taking a comprehensive beating is bad enough but I always think it's twice as bad when your team gets shut out. There's nothing for the fans to hang on to - nothing to cheer. I recall watching the Nottingham Panthers getting beat by Cleveland at home 0-10 one time. It was worse than embarrasing and I couldn't stand it any longer after the seventh had gone in and retired to the bar! (Must be quite humiliating having been scored on seven times ;-) )

Must be, be we wouldn't know. :greengrin

For me what was more embarressing is losing not one but 2 short handed goals, 4, if you count last week, which I won't because it didn't happen, I didn't see a thing. I am in denial. :hide:

PC Stamp
05-11-2007, 04:02 PM

For me what was more embarressing is losing not one but 2 short handed goals, 4, if you count last week, which I won't because it didn't happen, I didn't see a thing. I am in denial. :hide:

At least last night's two weren't within 30 secs on the same powerplay! :greengrin

Pheona
05-11-2007, 04:48 PM
At least last night's two weren't within 30 secs on the same powerplay! :greengrin

See.... there is improvement! :greengrin

stu in nottingham
05-11-2007, 05:20 PM

It's when you lose a goal on a powerplay, Chills - now that's embarrassing! (Or is that what they were?) :bitchy:

Ah that old saying - 'you don't win games from the penalty bench'. They never learn do they (thank goodness!)

Don't worry about Coventry. The Panthers beat them 1-0 at home the other week and they're not brilliant! Apparently hard work and good old fashioned two-way skating from the players was the key. You're alwyas in with a chance if you can show that.

Good luck Caps!

Pheona
05-11-2007, 07:42 PM
It's when you lose a goal on a powerplay, Chills - now that's embarrassing! (Or is that what they were?) :bitchy:

Ah that old saying - 'you don't win games from the penalty bench'. They never learn do they (thank goodness!)

Don't worry about Coventry. The Panthers beat them 1-0 at home the other week and they're not brilliant! Apparently hard work and good old fashioned two-way skating from the players was the key. You're alwyas in with a chance if you can show that.

Good luck Caps!

ooops! that is what I meant to say. :doh:.

What they need to do is stop chopping and changing the lines every week as well, they never know who they are playing with.

Here's hoping! :greengrin

LancashireHibby
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Very surprised to know there was such in-deph analysis on here for the ice hockey!

I used to go to Manchester Storm quite regularly a few years ago (including a 17k sell out against the Steelers...fantastic!) but drifted out of the habit because of Sunday games clashing with the rugby - the Phoenix have risen from the ashes and have a new rink at Altrincham so I might well get along there again although my last game against Cardiff a couple of years ago reminded me exactly why I enjoyed it at 12/13 years old but maybe less so as I get a little older!

Pheona
05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Very surprised to know there was such in-deph analysis on here for the ice hockey!

I used to go to Manchester Storm quite regularly a few years ago (including a 17k sell out against the Steelers...fantastic!) but drifted out of the habit because of Sunday games clashing with the rugby - the Phoenix have risen from the ashes and have a new rink at Altrincham so I might well get along there again although my last game against Cardiff a couple of years ago reminded me exactly why I enjoyed it at 12/13 years old but maybe less so as I get a little older!

You have an old Edinburgh or should I say Murrayfield favourite there at the moment in the form of Tony Hand.

stu in nottingham
06-11-2007, 09:29 AM

You'd be surprised bud - there's a few NHL games between us on this thread! :wink:

I recall that sell out at Manchester, shame that it couldn't endure. Went there once and it was impressive. I also went to the original Altrincham rink a couple of times and what a place to play hockey that was! Lethal is the word I think. I recall sitting on a very low balcony behind a goal dodging slap shots all night.

LancashireHibby
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
You'd be surprised bud - there's a few NHL games between us on this thread! :wink:

I recall that sell out at Manchester, shame that it couldn't endure. Went there once and it was impressive. I also went to the original Altrincham rink a couple of times and what a place to play hockey that was! Lethal is the word I think. I recall sitting on a very low balcony behind a goal dodging slap shots all night.
Didn't they have netting instead of fibreglass around the rink IIRC? Never went to an Aces game although I always meant to - Blackburn rink is supposed to be impressive although I've never been myself.

The way things worked out with Storm was a huge shame - there was an average of 7,000+ plus for a couple of seasons, and it was heartbreaking to go to games a couple of years on and there'd only be 2-3,000 there, a scenario that meant the club couldn't afford the rent at the MEN and had to look for alternative accomodation, which included playing in Wales at Deeside for quite a period.

stu in nottingham
06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Didn't they have netting instead of fibreglass around the rink IIRC? Never went to an Aces game although I always meant to - Blackburn rink is supposed to be impressive although I've never been myself.

The way things worked out with Storm was a huge shame - there was an average of 7,000+ plus for a couple of seasons, and it was heartbreaking to go to games a couple of years on and there'd only be 2-3,000 there, a scenario that meant the club couldn't afford the rent at the MEN and had to look for alternative accomodation, which included playing in Wales at Deeside for quite a period.

Can't quite remember. There was some netting and perhaps some plexi behind the goals??? It was enough to stop a skied shot going up into the crowd behind that one end. This would have been around 1983-ish and at that time the original Nottingham rink also only had netting behind the goals with the sides completely open to the play. My girlfriend of the time found out how inadequate this was when she collected a d-man's lofted clearance right on the forehead one night.

Yeah it's a great shame about the original Manc team. I rmember that particular era everyone was talking about a new order of 'arena hockey' in the UK. Not only was there Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle and London but also talk of a Leeds team and what of course became the Oddysey in Belfast. Shame it never really took off in the way it should have.

mglancy23
11-11-2007, 02:12 PM
am going to my first ice hockey game tonight

easy win for the capitals against the league leaders

mglancy23
11-11-2007, 09:15 PM

good call

lets go capitals lets go :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PC Stamp
11-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Funny that their two week notice period ends tomorrow and they turn in a performance to beat Coventry tonight. Shame they couldn't do it last night against Basingstoke.

A good win but too late for some I fear.

mglancy23
12-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Funny that their two week notice period ends tomorrow and they turn in a performance to beat Coventry tonight. Shame they couldn't do it last night against Basingstoke.

A good win but too late for some I fear.

am going back next week for the cardiff game, hopefully another win on the cards.

really enjoyed it last night, surprised its not more popular

Pheona
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

:thumbsup: you picked a good night to go.

Lets hope they keep it up!.

:partyhibb

mglancy23
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
:thumbsup: you picked a good night to go.

Lets hope they keep it up!.

:partyhibb

they only one cos was there :wink:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pheona
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
they only one cos was there :wink:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:greengrin

Well you had better keep going in that case! :agree:

stu in nottingham
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
am going back next week for the cardiff game, hopefully another win on the cards.

really enjoyed it last night, surprised its not more popular

I've rarely met a person who attended a hockey game for the first time that didn't enjoy it and more often become a regular fan. Just my experience. Glad you had a good time.

NYHibby
14-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I think I'm going to head down for my first Capitals game on Sunday. Christiansen and State both played a couple games for my hometown team 2 seasons ago.

PC Stamp
14-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I think I'm going to head down for my first Capitals game on Sunday. Christiansen and State both played a couple games for my hometown team 2 seasons ago.

State has just been emptied and headed back to the States yesterday.

6'8" of pure girls blouse!

Having to miss out on Sunday due to a wee gig I'm off to at the SECC.

Still, the Devils with former Capital Jason Silverthorn have been one of the few teams this season that the Caps have had the upper hand against. Hopefully they can continue that.

NYHibby
15-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I think Jason Silverthorn is the older, less successful brother of a guy I went to university with. His brother also plays hockey.

PC Stamp
15-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I think Jason Silverthorn is the older, less successful brother of a guy I went to university with. His brother also plays hockey.

His brother is doing well. I remember speaking to Jason about him on Talk 107. There was a front page article on the NHL site about a guy called Silvethorn and I thought it was an uncommon name.

Turned out it was indeed his brother, Steve Silverthorn IIRC and he's a netminder with the Idaho Steelheads. He's been drafted by the Dallas Stars and played a pre season game (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/members/colgate/2007229_SilverthornDallas)with them this year but has been re-assigned to the minors for experience.

NYHibby
16-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I thought Steve was his brother but I wasn't sure. I guess this gives away where I went to uni.

Steve has also seen some playing time in the AHL. His first two career AHL games were both shutouts. He made a name for himself in minor league hockey circles with that.

willie_dunn
16-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I thought Steve was his brother but I wasn't sure. I guess this gives away where I went to uni.

Steve has also seen some playing time in the AHL. His first two career AHL games were both shutouts. He made a name for himself in minor league hockey circles with that.

I will be there on sunday with my son :)
Your a part timer stamp!! that means you can't commnet on things on the board you know :)

Hey cliff did i tell you i got tickets for the wild v the canucks in Minneapolis next month :)
Pity it was not the flames, either way bunch of big girls blouses on skates them canadians :duck:

PC Stamp
16-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I will be there on sunday with my son :)
Your a part timer stamp!! that means you can't commnet on things on the board you know :)

Hey cliff did i tell you i got tickets for the wild v the canucks in Minneapolis next month :)
Pity it was not the flames, either way bunch of big girls blouses on skates them canadians :duck:

Taking what might be a last chance to see Messrs Lydon, Matlock, Cook & Jones.

Flames lost 5 in a row there but broke the skid against ..... the Wild! :wink:

I'm glad it's not the Flames. You're a jinx when you watch them.

Every game against the Predators since you saw them lose 2-0 ... they've won!

See the Caps have signed a Canadian Centre. :thumbsup:

Pheona
16-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I also saw they have signed a new centre. Great news! The only way is up n all that,

I will be there Sunday also.

PS: btw PC. We are officially West Lothians now. :greengrin

PC Stamp
16-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I also saw they have signed a new centre. Great news! The only way is up n all that,

I will be there Sunday also.

PS: btw PC. We are officially West Lothians now. :greengrin

Nice one. From that I assume it all went as planned with no hitches, glitches or stitches! :wink:

NYHibby
19-11-2007, 12:58 PM
So I was at the game last night, and I was a little disappointed by the quality of play. I wasn't expecting to be blown away but for £10, you could see the top AHL teams play or get the cheap seats for a NHL game. This game was maybe just one step above NCAA D1 hockey back in America.

I thought the Cap's powerplay was pretty bad. They played too much dump and chase hockey when they were a man up. They also need to be more patient and let things develop. I think this got better as the game went on, but there seemed to be a rush just to get shots off rather than passing around trying to find a quality shot.

I did enjoying watching a game in an old fashion rink though. It kind of reminded me of the old Hersheypark Arena, expect on a less grand scale. You could get a nice old time hockey feeling going on if the teams would wear more traditional uniforms and you move the side boards in...

Pheona
19-11-2007, 07:49 PM
So I was at the game last night, and I was a little disappointed by the quality of play. I wasn't expecting to be blown away but for £10, you could see the top AHL teams play or get the cheap seats for a NHL game. This game was maybe just one step above NCAA D1 hockey back in America.

I thought the Cap's powerplay was pretty bad. They played too much dump and chase hockey when they were a man up. They also need to be more patient and let things develop. I think this got better as the game went on, but there seemed to be a rush just to get shots off rather than passing around trying to find a quality shot.

I did enjoying watching a game in an old fashion rink though. It kind of reminded me of the old Hersheypark Arena, expect on a less grand scale. You could get a nice old time hockey feeling going on if the teams would wear more traditional uniforms and you move the side boards in...

Not sure what was wrong last night, I thought it all seemed pretty flat. The players, even the crowd. I agree with you fully about the powerplays, sometimes you wonder who is the team with the advantage. Maybe the new centre will inject a bit of spark. :pray:

PS: PC, yes all went worryingly smoothly. Thanks again.