PDA

View Full Version : What is the most obscure sport you have a serious interest in?

robinp
18-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Serious answers here please.

I'll start it off with Biathlon or Cycling, both are deemed boring and kind of stupid by those uncultured people in the UK. :cool: :agree:

bawheid
18-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Orienteering. More popular than football in Scandanavia.

Fittest sportspeople in the world.

Not a sport which makes good tv though.

robinp
18-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Orienteering. More popular than football in Scandanavia.

Fittest sportspeople in the world.

Not a sport which makes good tv though.

I beg to differ look up biathlon :agree:

bawheid
18-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I beg to differ look up biathlon :agree:

When a baithlete is capable of running up to 20 Km across rough terrain in under 4 minutes a Km, come back to me....:greengrin

Sylar
18-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Not exactly "out there" but i have a serious addiction to Baseball! I find myself sitting up watching games on my laptop at 2 in the morning, just to keep tabs with the team i support.

I love most games at the Winter Olympics too, particularly Snowboarding and the biathlon also (where athletes ski and shoot, instead of run).

PC Stamp
18-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Ice Hockey. Fantastic game vastly under supported in the UK and particularly Edinburgh. :agree:

Biggie
18-09-2007, 06:17 PM
squash..it's the bollocks....not a great sport for TV but if you know the game, it's got to be up there for fitness, sharpness and speed of thought...

Stoney Hibee
18-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I was in Boston in October 2004 when the Red Sox came back from three games down to beat the Yankees in the ALCS and the Cardinals in the World Series.

Just the experience of being in Boston at this time and seeing what their team meant to them was amazing, ever since I have become a bit of Baseball addict and find myself staying up to all hours of the night watching it in on NASN or Ch5 or listening in on WEEI.

On Sunday I found myself going to bed at 4am after Derek Jeter :boo hoo: hit a HR to beat the red sox, still up at 7:00am for work though:agree:

Pheona
18-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Ice Hockey. Fantastic game vastly under supported in the UK and particularly Edinburgh. :agree:

:agree:

Especially as they are looking dangerously like an Elite League team this year.

Oh and Speedway, although I wouldn't really class these as obscure as such.

I have even found myself watching bl**dy baseball this year. If you can't beat them,join them....hubby's bit of a Yankee's fan.

Toaods
18-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Kabaddi

...can't forgive Channel 4 for cutting it....:bitchy:

........for those of you who are alien to this magical event, think tig and 'chain-ey' if you played that at school. Some clips to open your euyes from the 2007 World Championships here:

http://www.kabaddi.org/2007wkc.htm

chorley_fm
18-09-2007, 11:10 PM
UFC

Got into it by chance having caught a program on Bravo called The Ultimate Fighter.

Think 'The Contender' but with mixed martial arts instead of boxing.

Became hooked and i have watched all the series (about to start series 6) and all the pay per views. These are usually shown on Bravo the day after the live show.

UFC 76 is on this sunday at 9pm on Bravo

Its a lot less blood thirsty as the first few ufc's and the weight classes and fights are sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Board of Control (a bit like boxing) and there has been rules brought in.

These guys are supreme athletes and train exceptionally hard for there craft.

Its well worth a look, these guys have a multitude of skills and methods to finish the fights quickly.

Current champions include 40+ years old Randy Couture (sp) at heavyweight, Anderson Silva at Middleweight and Matt Serra at Welterweight.

There is a Pay per View scheduled for Newcastle later this year / early next year so I am hoping to catch it live.

Toaods
18-09-2007, 11:14 PM
UFC

Got into it by chance having caught a program on Bravo called The Ultimate Fighter.

Became hooked and i have watched all the series (about to start series 6) and all the pay per views. These are usually shown on Bravo the day after the live show.

Its a lot less blood thirsty as the first few ufc's and the weight classes and fights are sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Board of Control (a bit like boxing) and there has been rules brought in.

Its well worth a look, these guys have a multitude of skills and methods to finish the fights quickly.

Current champions include 40+ years old Randy Couture (sp) at heavyweight, Anderson Silva at Middleweight and Matt Serra at Welterweight.

There is a Pay per View scheduled for Newcastle later this year / early next year so I am hoping to catch it live.

I've sat up and watched it a few times - something supremely athletic,tough and controlled about their characters.

chorley_fm
18-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I've sat up and watched it a few times - something supremely athletic,tough and controlled about their characters.

Indeed Dave,

I have got quite into it to the extent that I now peruse a very good web page (and message boards) at www.sherdog.com

I enjoy the fitness element of it and I have started to attend the gym at my work on a regular basis in order to try and get into shape like the fighters.

If you are interested you can find the fighters fitness programmes and regimes on line at the usual places, the routines they follow to get into ahape for a fight are obscene. The cardio and mental fortitude these guys have amaze me.

Pete
19-09-2007, 12:37 AM
UFC

A couple of my mates have been into this sport for about four years. I thought they were loons until i actually watched it. It's the ultimate combat sport!!

They're into the UFC scene but they wont have it referred to to anything other than MMA...because thats what the sport is.

They showed me some practical fighting techniques...and god help you if you start rolling about with them. Concentrated but effective!

Speedy
19-09-2007, 10:16 AM
squash..it's the bollocks....not a great sport for TV but if you know the game, it's got to be up there for fitness, sharpness and speed of thought...

Squash is good, I'm gonna try get playing more when I get back to uni.

Tomsk
19-09-2007, 10:54 AM
When a baithlete is capable of running up to 20 Km across rough terrain in under 4 minutes a Km, come back to me....:greengrin

I used to work in sport and recall reading a few studies on which sports required the most fitness. I have to say it was invariably swimming and rowing that came out tops. I don't recall orienteering or biathlon featuring that highly. Of course, swimming and rowing require massive total body muscle expenditure over sustained periods of time.

Don't get me started on obscure sports! :wink:

bawheid
19-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I used to work in sport and recall reading a few studies on which sports required the most fitness. I have to say it was invariably swimming and rowing that came out tops. I don't recall orienteering or biathlon featuring that highly. Of course, swimming and rowing require massive total body muscle expenditure over sustained periods of time.

Don't get me started on obscure sports! :wink:

You're probably right. :agree:

Andy74
19-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Fantastic game when not played in the UK and especially Edinburgh though!

euan moran
19-09-2007, 02:25 PM
It's getting to the stage where I'm beginning to prefer other MMA to football. It's not so much as the sport as the competitors though. Footballers are lazy, greedy wa*kers whilst Mixed Martial Artists are incredibly committed, respectable athletes who make far better role models than most footballers.

Out of interest chorley_fm, do you do any BJJ training, or just gym work?

bingo70
19-09-2007, 02:51 PM

dont know if youve ever played raquetball but if youve not you should give it a go, similiar to squash but harder imo

AllyF
19-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Table Tennis... I challenge you's all to a match. :take that

chorley_fm
19-09-2007, 07:51 PM
It's getting to the stage where I'm beginning to prefer other MMA to football. It's not so much as the sport as the competitors though. Footballers are lazy, greedy wa*kers whilst Mixed Martial Artists are incredibly committed, respectable athletes who make far better role models than most footballers.

just gym work, although once (alot) fitter, I fancy looking to join a gym which caters for MMA and BJJ.

I really want to get into it for the fitness side of things, however, I can imagine if you get a chance to 'roll' with someone it gets into your system and becomes away of life.

You only know how good you are as a person if your 'tested'

Gatecrasher
19-09-2007, 08:08 PM
i like bobsleigh :thumbsup:

The_Horde
19-09-2007, 08:39 PM

:agree:

Ryan91
19-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Not so obscure but i have a real interest in Gaelic Football and Hurling don't really support any team but do have favourites.

Hibbie_Cameron
19-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Ice Hockey and Darts are amongst my faves

Also like watching beach football when its on Eurosport

Gatecrasher
19-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Ice Hockey and Darts are amongst my faves

Also like watching beach football when its on Eurosport

i like darts as well

:thumbsup:

PC Stamp
19-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Fantastic game when not played in the UK and especially Edinburgh though!

Yet despite the lack of a big support, Scott Neil is putting together a decent outfit on a season by season basis working on a very limited budget (sound familiar?)

This year they have moved away from a team full of technically gifted but very lightweight Europeans and brought in a new Director of Hockey (an American, Doug Christiansen) who has been able (with the help of sponsors) to recruit mainly Canadian and American players, several of whom have NHL experience or played in the feeder leagues for the NHL in Canada & the States and who can not only play but have the aggression that's needed in ice hockey.

Remember, it wasn't all that long ago that Murrayfield Racers were the top British team.

Cuiky_Hibby
20-09-2007, 07:57 AM
I go surfing thats classed a sport aint it :confused:

Lookin forward to my trip to Hawaii next year:thumbsup:

Mikey_1875
20-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Not so obscure but i have a real interest in Gaelic Football and Hurling don't really support any team but do have favourites.

Is a great game :agree: I watch a lot of the games on setanta and wish it was played more in the cities i.e edinburgh etc.

Andy Bee
20-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Fishin :fishin::fishin::fishin:

Platinum Scotty
20-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree with Toaods - Kabaddi is something pretty impressive!!! Used right hack my missus off watching that on the box.....along the lines of "you'd watch any sport not matter how obscure".....:greengrin

euan moran
21-09-2007, 03:44 PM
just gym work, although once (alot) fitter, I fancy looking to join a gym which caters for MMA and BJJ.

I really want to get into it for the fitness side of things, however, I can imagine if you get a chance to 'roll' with someone it gets into your system and becomes away of life.

You only know how good you are as a person if your 'tested'

It's well worth doing mate. You don't even need to be super fit to start with. The training increases your fitness gradually, and works as well as any fitness workout in the gym IMO.

7Hero
21-09-2007, 10:37 PM
dont know if youve ever played raquetball but if youve not you should give it a go, similiar to squash but harder imo

i cant stand racquetball, a lot of the guys play it in the off season but i just find it infuriating, played squash my whole life. Racquetball on a squash court is even worse than on a racquetball court, have tried em botth and dont rate either im afraid.

they say racquetball is for people who cant hit the squash ball hard enough to warm up a yellow dot (or as otherwise called....GIRLS)

:devil:

Scouse Hibee
21-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Unicycling, one of the boys at the gym in work is a former british champion

whaley
22-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Weightlifting - went to Meadowbank to do some weight training during the rugby close season and ended up getting convinced to give it a go (must have been around 13-14 at the time!).

Only did it for around 8 months or so as it ended up taking a back seat once the rugby season started up, was enjoyable though and more difficult than it looks (as much about timing and technique as it is strength).

Was good prep for the rugby though (for a prop anyway), good core strength work and also gave you a good understanding of body mechanics...

P.S. - no jokes about my snatch - I've heard them all... :wink:

Houchy
22-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I really like American Football.

Also like to keep my finger on the pulse when it comes to ladies beach volleyball:agree::wink::drool:

Shrekko
22-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Not exactly "out there" but i have a serious addiction to Baseball! I find myself sitting up watching games on my laptop at 2 in the morning, just to keep tabs with the team i support.

Yeah me too- I've hardly had a decent sleep in weeks. I suppose baseball is considered 'obscure' in the UK but I love it.

The Boston Red Sox are the 'bandwagon' team as far as UK fans go but I'm a New York Yankee and have been since going to a game at Yankee Stadium in 2003.

I also love ice-hockey. Being from Kirkcaldy I follow the Fife Flyers, Britain's oldest team and currently (sadly) being blocked from the top flight through petty politics. I also look out for the results of the Edinburgh Caps- or as I call them 'the wee team' :greegrin

The truly obscure sport I actually play is Floorball, which is huge in Scandinavia but barely known in this country. A cross between ice-hockey and unihoc.

7Hero
22-09-2007, 10:42 PM
but I'm a New York Yankee and have been since going to a game at Yankee Stadium in 2003.

Glory hunter :greengrin

Shrekko
22-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Glory hunter :greengrin

Theres been nae glory since I started following them mate, I promise you :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
23-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Deer hunting, absoloutely love it.

--------
23-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Deer hunting, absoloutely love it.

Stalking? Or with dogs? :cool2:

Mine's fencing, specifically epee. (You get to REALLY hurt people.) :devil:

HibeeEmma
24-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Bull Fighting is pretty fun to watch when theres nothing else on!

KdyHby
24-09-2007, 09:47 AM

Ditto, fantastic weekend for the Caps, and the "action" last night would have resulted in a number of arrests had it happened on a football pitch!

PC Stamp
24-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Ditto, fantastic weekend for the Caps, and the "action" last night would have resulted in a number of arrests had it happened on a football pitch!

Old time hockey. Every other team in the league played it last season except the Caps. Now they've cottoned on and you can see the difference. :greengrin

Pheona
24-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Old time hockey. Every other team in the league played it last season except the Caps. Now they've cottoned on and you can see the difference. :greengrin

I rather enjoyed watching Voth become intimately acquainted with the plexi glass. :tee hee:

Johnny_Leith
24-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Stalking? Or with dogs? :cool2:

Mine's fencing, specifically epee. (You get to REALLY hurt people.) :devil:

Got to be stalking! Yourself?

PC Stamp
24-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I rather enjoyed watching Voth become intimately acquainted with the plexi glass. :tee hee:

There's not much to do with Calgary that I dislike ... but he qualifies! Gives the city a bad name. :agree:

It was nice to see Hemingway go toe to toe with him as well ... and it didn't look like he lost!

Pheona
24-09-2007, 04:07 PM
There's not much to do with Calgary that I dislike ... but he qualifies! Gives the city a bad name. :agree:

It was nice to see Hemingway go toe to toe with him as well ... and it didn't look like he lost!

voth's toes is about all he could reach :greengrin, but you are right, Hemmingway didn't miss him. Stefishen wasn't shy either. :agree:

Stokesy
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I used to be in the British under 20 judo team and I won the British 18/19 age band championships once.

I have the same opinion of footballers. I was never that good at judo but some of my mates are world class. The amount of training and dedication they put in for bugger all financial reward is amazing. One of the guys I used to train with is a double European bronze medalist and he works the doors at the weekends to help fund his training.

ChooseLife
01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Allways follow the Snooker when its on, love it.

Same wi the darts:thumbsup:

JUST starting to take a SLIGHT interest in Formula 1 now. Theres competition now that Michael Shumacker (sp?) has left, it will be a much more intresting sport. Hamilton and Alonso are making it quite entertaining:agree:

DESPISE RUGBY:brickwall

but NOTHING compares to Football:greengrin

euan moran
02-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I used to be in the British under 20 judo team and I won the British 18/19 age band championships once.

I have the same opinion of footballers. I was never that good at judo but some of my mates are world class. The amount of training and dedication they put in for bugger all financial reward is amazing. One of the guys I used to train with is a double European bronze medalist and he works the doors at the weekends to help fund his training.

Nice :thumbsup:. I used to do a bit of Judo myself, but stopped over time as I got into pounding people instead of using technique. Footballers are one of the laziest, most undedicated groups of sportsmen there are, yet their wages are often 100 times those of decent, hardworking sportsmen like boxers, Mix-Martial Artists and athletes.:confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Kabaddi

...can't forgive Channel 4 for cutting it....:bitchy:

........for those of you who are alien to this magical event, think tig and 'chain-ey' if you played that at school. Some clips to open your euyes from the 2007 World Championships here:

http://www.kabaddi.org/2007wkc.htm

Have a look at the TV listings for More4 and you might get a pleasant surprise!! :wink:

steakbake
15-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I quite enjoyed watching "Wife Carrying" when I was in Denmark. It used to get shown on Swedish TV and it was a kind of assault course that a man carried his woman around.

Truly bizarre.

mim
15-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Im a complete baseball nut.

Fantastic game when you begin to understand how complex it actually is.

Onceinawhile
15-10-2007, 05:35 PM
used to be really into slamball