PDA

View Full Version : Twenty20 cricket

bawheid
18-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Fantastic version of the game. :agree:

Just watching Australia v Pakistan in the World Cup. Pakistan need 15 from 15 balls. Mon the Pakistan. :cool:

bawheid
18-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Pakistan won by six wickets, including a massive 111m 6....

if anyone's interested.....

...anyone....?

:greengrin

Pheona
18-09-2007, 10:23 PM

...anyone....?

Me...

Tomorrow is SA v New Zealan. 'mon the Proteas!!!

I am the onl one that cares that South Africa turned over England TWICE this weekend? :tee hee:

bawheid
18-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Me...

Tomorrow is SA v New Zealan. 'mon the Proteas!!!

I am the onl one that cares that South Africa turned over England TWICE this weekend? :tee hee:

Ah great...thought I was the only cricket fan. :greengrin

I don't mind seeing England doing well at cricket, however it was funny to see their humiliating Ashes whitewash after all the over-celebrating and writing of autobiographies in 2005.

I quite fancy the Pakistanis to win this thing.

Mibbes Aye
18-09-2007, 10:38 PM

...anyone....?

Twenty20 is a good watch and perhaps because it's so new is very competitive.

I hope it is a 'gateway' for a lot of folk into enjoying Test cricket.

bawheid
18-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Twenty20 is a good watch and perhaps because it's so new is very competitive.

I hope it is a 'gateway' for a lot of folk into enjoying Test cricket.

Test cricket is fantastic. Very difficult to get folk who've never watched or played the game interested though. I mean, what kind of game lasts 5 days and ends in a draw? :greengrin

Pheona
18-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Test cricket is fantastic. Very difficult to get folk who've never watched or played the game interested though. I mean, what kind of game lasts 5 days and ends in a draw? :greengrin

It took me a while to get into it, i spent years as a kid bored stupid watching at Wanderers, now I would sell me children to get tickets to go.

Anyway, Twenty20 can be quite exciting stuff. I'm still going with the Saffas though.

Mibbes Aye
18-09-2007, 10:48 PM

:agree: It's a thing of beauty. Like football it's incredibly simple and complex at the same time. Unlike football the commentators are almost all great. :greengrin

DaveF
19-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Always enjoy watching Test Cricket, and always have done since watching the Windies hump England right after 'Why don't you' on those lazy summers of yesteryear :greengrin

Twenty20 is excellent too - 3 hours of drinking, sunshine and fantastic entertainment - how can it not be fun?

Throw in Keven Pietersen's quotes and you have a good 2 weeks :greengrin

DaveF
19-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Unlike football the commentators are almost all great. :greengrin

I feel a TMS quotes thread coming up :thumbsup:

Pheona
19-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Always enjoy watching Test Cricket, and always have done since watching the Windies hump England right after 'Why don't you' on those lazy summers of yesteryear :greengrin

Twenty20 is excellent too - 3 hours of drinking, sunshine and fantastic entertainment - how can it not be fun?

Throw in Keven Pietersen's quotes and you have a good 2 weeks :greengrin

f****y cannae stand him..

bawheid
19-09-2007, 08:35 AM
f****y cannae stand him..

He's a moron isnt he? I don't know why he feels the need to shout his mouth off about what England are going to do, etc.....just get on with it and do your talking on the park Pietersen. He's another one living off the Ashes of 2005. His Test batting average is distinctly....well, average. :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
19-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I feel a TMS quotes thread coming up :thumbsup:

:agree: Not a TMS one this, more an example of sledging...

Glenn McGrath having just bowled an 85mph ball past Eddie Brandes' head:

McGrath: "Oi Brandes! Why are you so effin' fat?"

Brandes: "Cos every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a biscuit!" :greengrin

DaveF
19-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Ian Healy to Arjuna Ranatunga when he asked for a runner -

"You get a runner when you are injured. Not for being a fat *******" :greengrin

Ian Healy when Nasser Hussain came to the wicket -

"Let's get the pressure on and put someone right under his nose. You, go to midwicket" :greengrin

PC Stamp
19-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Shane Warne to Paul Collingwood during Warne's last test innings.

"Are you the guy who got an MBE for scoring seven at the Oval?"

Merv Hughes and Robin Smith exchange comments at Lords in 1989 .....

Hughes to Smith after he played & missed:

"You can't ******ing bat".

Smith to Hughes next ball after he smacks him to
the boundary ....

"Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't ******ing bat & you can't ******ing bowl."

bawheid
19-09-2007, 09:54 AM
"So how's your wife and my kids?"
Former Aussie wicketkeeper Rod Marsh lays it straight on the line to Ian Botham after Beefy strode to the crease in one encounter.

"You can't f****** bat."
Merv Hughes makes it clear to England's Robin Smith what he thinks of his talent in the 1989 Lords Test.
"Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't f****** bat and you can't f****** bowl."
Smith right back at Hughes after he cracked one of his ensuing balls to the boundary.

"F*** me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England."
Mark Waugh to man mountain Jimmy Ormond when the Surrey fast bowler got a rare chance to shine on the international stage.
"Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."
He may have only played two Tests, but Jimmy cuts no slack with his reply to Waugh's sledge.

"What do you think this is, a f****** tea party? No you can't have a f****** glass of water, you can f****** wait like the rest of us."
Australian skipper Allan Border lets off steam with this barb aimed at England batsman Robin Smith during the Trent Bridge Test in 1989.

"Who's this then? Father bloody Christmas?"
Pace demon Jeff Thomson doesn't seem too impressed by England's David Steele when he appeared for his debut in 1975. Steele went on to keep the Australians at bay for 19 hours over the next three Tests.

"A six-foot, blond-haired beach bum bowling at 90mph trying to knock your head off and then telling you you're a feeble-minded tosser... where's the problem?"
Former England skipper Michael Atherton explains the Glenn McGrath sledging phenomenon ahead of the 2001 series.

"A cricket tour in Australia would be the most delightful period in your life... if you were deaf."
Bodyline tour fast bowler Harold Larwood shows us that sledging has being going on for decades. Sadly, he later emigrated to Australia with his hearing intact.

"Hell, Gatt, move out of the way. I can't see the stumps."
Aussie legend Dennis Lillee after stopping in his run-up to Mike Gatting during the opening match of England's 1994-95 tour.

"Who's this four-eyed git? Knock his glasses off."
Unidentified Australian fielder when Geoffrey Boycott walked out to bat in his 1964 Test debut.

"Keep going, Ramps, you know you want to."
Sledging master Shane Warne mentally frazzles poor England batsman Mark Ramprakash, who charged down the wicket moments later and was stumped.

PC Stamp
19-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Shaun Pollock to Ricky Ponting after beating the outside edge ....

"It's small, red and weighs about 5 ounces."

Ponting cracks the next one out of the ground and replies ...

"You know what it looks like so go and find it!"

bawheid
19-09-2007, 09:59 AM
McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: "So what does Brian Lara's d*ck taste like?"
Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."
McGrath (losing it): "If you ever effing mention my wife again, I'll effing rip your effing throat out."

Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne:
As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been waiting
2 years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.

Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:
During a test match in the West Indies, hughes didn't say a word to Viv, but
continued to stare at him after deliveries. "This is my island, my culture.
Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl." Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: "In my culture we just say ****** *ff.".

And of course you can't forget Ian Healy's legendary comment which was picked up by the Channel 9 microphones when Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney... "You don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat ******!!!"

§Mark Waugh standing at second slip, the new player to the crease playing & missing the first ball. Mark - "Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were **** then, you're ••••••• useless now".
Parore- (Turning around) "Yeah, that's me & when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly sl*t & now I hear you've married her. You dumb ••••".

A classic from the master of sledging, Ian Healy:
Ben Hollioake had just made his debut, hitting Glenn McGrath in the process.
On his way back after finally being dismissed, Shane Warne cried: 'Hey, Ben'
Hollioake turned round expecting a pat on the back. Instead Healy came in from behind and said: 'Get back to the nets, you idiot.'

Pheona
19-09-2007, 03:20 PM
SA beat New Zealand by 4 wickets.

NZ 153-8
SA 158-4

:partyhibb

Gatecrasher
19-09-2007, 06:45 PM
twenty 20 got me into cricket, it gets you on the edge of your seat.... well nearly :wink:

Mikey
19-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Did anyone see Stuart Broad getting knocked for 36 today?

Hilarious :greengrin

NaeTechnoHibby
19-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Just seen it oan BBC news and a least they are getting a sense of humour :greengrin

"If you want a way to go then go out on a record" or something like that :thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
19-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Hilarious stats earleir on Sky Sports news. England is the only country that has a 20-20 tournament and play it reguarly. They have also played by far the most internationals at 20-20 but have the lowest win rate, with the minnows such as Bangladesh and Zimbabwe easily beating their 30% win rate.

Still the media thought they had the devine right to win it

bawheid
20-09-2007, 07:33 AM

:agree: :greengrin

First ever Test playing nation to be hit for 36 in an over. :faf:

bawheid
20-09-2007, 07:34 AM
SA beat New Zealand by 4 wickets.

NZ 153-8
SA 158-4

:partyhibb

How good is that boy Kemp? Certainly knows how to hit the ball! Fantastic innings. :agree:

Pheona
20-09-2007, 10:51 PM
How good is that boy Kemp? Certainly knows how to hit the ball! Fantastic innings. :agree:

:agree::greengrin

As for tonight :brickwall:boo hoo::fuming::not hp::soapbox:

stupid game.. **huff smiley**

Hank Schrader
21-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Can't ask for more with regards to the semis, both Antipodeans teams against the big two sub hemisphere teams.:thumbsup:

Its a fantastic format for the sport, I don't think the bowlers enjoy it too much though, watching their efforts getting flayed all over the park. There are a few who enjoy success,RP Singh today 4-13 and Stuart Clark 4-20.

Has anyone seen Sky Sports Cricket line up over the winter months?

England in Sri Lanka
England in New Zealand
New Zealand in South Africa
Pakistan in India
Sri Lanka in Australia
India in Australia
Commonwealth Bank ODI Series (Australia/Sri Lanka/India)
Chappell/Hadlee Trophy (Australia vs New Zealand ODI's)
South Africa in West Indies
Australia in West Indies

Thats a hell of a lot!!

Pheona
21-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Can't ask for more with regards to the semis, both Antipodeans teams against the big two sub hemisphere teams.:thumbsup:

Its a fantastic format for the sport, I don't think the bowlers enjoy it too much though, watching their efforts getting flayed all over the park. There are a few who enjoy success,RP Singh today 4-13 and Stuart Clark 4-20.

England in Sri Lanka
England in New Zealand
Pakistan in India
Sri Lanka in Australia
India in Australia
Australia in West Indies

Thats a hell of a lot!!

Yes you can :brickwall:boo hoo::fuming::mad:

bawheid
21-09-2007, 08:19 AM

England in Sri Lanka
England in New Zealand
Pakistan in India
Sri Lanka in Australia
India in Australia
Australia in West Indies

Thats a hell of a lot!!

Add in Champions League, UEFA Cup and Scottish football on Setanta and I could well find myself sleeping on the sofa by Christmas. :greengrin

Pheona
21-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Add in Champions League, UEFA Cup and Scottish football on Setanta and I could well find myself sleeping on the sofa by Christmas. :greengrin

At least the sofa is in front of the telly :greengrin

Hank Schrader
21-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes you can :brickwall:boo hoo::fuming::mad:

Sorry mate, forgot about the Proteas!!:greengrin

Quite impressed with some of the guys brought into the SA 20/20 squad! The Morkel boys look quality:agree: I just wonder if a full time spinner could have made a difference for South Africa in this tournament, taking the pace off seems to work in 20/20 cricket (in most cases!)

South Africa in England next year, you going to any of the tests?

Pheona
21-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry mate, forgot about the Proteas!!:greengrin

Quite impressed with some of the guys brought into the SA 20/20 squad! The Morkel boys look quality:agree: I just wonder if a full time spinner could have made a difference for South Africa in this tournament, taking the pace off seems to work in 20/20 cricket (in most cases!)

South Africa in England next year, you going to any of the tests?

Me too, and Kemp as well :agree: Think someone else mentioned him. Gibbs isn't doing to bad either.

I would love to but have to see the dosh situation. Too much month left at the end of the money.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't say that a cricket match would keep me in front of the TV all day but I must admit that it has grown on me in the last year or so and I don't mind watching it for a bit every now and then.