Welcome Michael!

It seems to be, expected to be named in days according to EEN

makaveli1875
09-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Which press? Can't see it anywhere.

The evening news saying he's expected to be announced soon

Liberal Hibby
09-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Didn't Leeann say there were more interviews next week?

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Welcome to Hibernian and good luck Michael.

Crab apple
09-02-2019, 11:17 AM
I posted this last Sunday morning. Looks like he's been in the frame all along.

'Sunday Times suggesting references have been asked for several options, including for Michael Appleton'.

LustForLeith
09-02-2019, 11:23 AM
I was hoping it was going to be Natalie or Nicole.

Never ever mind...

MacGruber
09-02-2019, 11:23 AM
It's defo Appleton... or Heckingbottom.. or Magilton.. or someone else. Press don't know for sure including EEN

HibbySpurs
09-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Maybe looks highly likely but I’d just hold our horses on the welcomes until a source more reliable than the EEN breaks this, like the club.

If it comes to pass though here’s to a successful tenure. A former premiership manager with a 100% winning record in that league (Ok only two games), his record at Oxford seems decent so looking forward to seeing what he can do IF he is confirmed.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Maybe looks highly likely but I’d just hold our horses on the welcomes until a source more reliable than the EEN breaks this, like the club.

If it comes to pass though here’s to a successful tenure. A former premiership manager with a 100% winning record in that league (Ok only two games), his record at Oxford seems decent so looking forward to seeing what he can do IF he is confirmed.

He will be. Stantonsboots nailed it all along and has decent sources. Delighted I took a punt on Tuesday 👍

SRHibs
09-02-2019, 11:34 AM
He will be. Stantonsboots nailed it all along and has decent sources. Delighted I took a punt on Tuesday 👍

What price did you get then?

HibbySpurs
09-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Odds? Looks a decent bet now tho 👏👏

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Post a screenshot of your bet.

Make us all jealous.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Post a screenshot of your bet.

Make us all jealous.

I’ll post it when confirmed as not jinxing it. I don’t think you’ll be waiting long big boy. 5/2 I took.

SRHibs
09-02-2019, 11:45 AM
I’ll post it when confirmed as not jinxing it. I don’t think you’ll be waiting long big boy. 5/2 I took.

I got 6/4 yesterday morning so I’m relatively happy with that. Fingers crossed!

eezyrider
09-02-2019, 11:49 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/bookies-favourite-michael-appleton-expected-to-be-named-hibs-boss-in-days-1-4870722

EZ

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 11:49 AM

You don't half play your cards close to your chest.

On Tuesday, you were bemoaning the fact that it was unlikely to be Alan Subbs and all the time you were backing Michael Appleton.

Impressive subterfuge. :aok:

Captain Trips
09-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Some build on the guy wouldn't mess with him. If he does not do well though I have no issue on telling him so...... Via email.

Zazu62
09-02-2019, 11:55 AM

On Tuesday, you were bemoaning the fact that it was unlikely to be Alan Subbs and all the time you were backing Michael Appleton.

I thought he had money on Heckingbottom

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Really happy with that. A Stubbs style appointment but with previous experience and lessons learned from both success and failure. Speaks eloquently, speaks well about the case for the game and got Oxford punching way above their weight. 100% win record in the EPL too, better than Guardiola, Fergie and Klopp :hyper

A quality appointment.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 12:04 PM
I thought he had money on Heckingbottom

Maybe he had both.

What's really impressive is that he backed Appleton on Tuesday at 5/2 even though he wasn't even quoted for the job.

He's not always such an impressive punter, though.

He had £30 on over 3.5 goals in last night's game, but at 3-0 he cashed out and put it on " no fourth goal".

It ended 3-3.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Appleton like most of the candidates, and pretty much any manager we have and ever will appoint is a gamble. Id far rather this kind of appointment than going down for instance the tommy wright route. Obviously the board must feel he is the best suited to the core values of the football club and the infrastructure we have in place. Hopefully the guy gets the appropriate time required to put his stamp on the team and to make changes to the squad he feels necessary. Hopefully we play attacking football and he can add a steeliness to the core of the team as well.

Good luck and welcome to the club 💚

Billy Whizz
09-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Wonder who his assistant will be, someone with knowledge of Scottish football?
Did he have a regular assistant when he moved clubs in England

leithsansiro
09-02-2019, 12:19 PM
I’d much prefer someone new, like Appleton, rather than the Scottish managerial merry go round.

stantonsboots
09-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Never doubted it 👍good luck today👍I can't be there I'm at anfield for the Liverpool game 😁

Eyrie
09-02-2019, 12:24 PM
From what I've read Appleton is a good choice.

He's now got the rest of the season to see what the current squad can offer, with no pressure other than a good cup run and making the top six. We'll find out next season how good he is.

The Harp Awakes
09-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Appleton like most of the candidates, and pretty much any manager we have and ever will appoint is a gamble. Id far rather this kind of appointment than going down for instance the tommy wright route. Obviously the board must feel he is the best suited to the core values of the football club and the infrastructure we have in place. Hopefully the guy gets the appropriate time required to put his stamp on the team and to make changes to the squad he feels necessary. Hopefully we play attacking football and he can add a steeliness to the core of the team as well.

Good luck and welcome to the club 💚

Agreed. Risky appointment and not particularly impressed by his CV. If he gets off to a poor start I can't see the fans giving him much slack.

Willing to give the Board the benefit of the doubt though as they have got it right on the last 2 occasions. Welcome to the club Michael.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Agreed. Risky appointment and not particularly impressed by his CV. If he gets off to a poor start I can't see the fans giving him much slack.

Willing to give the Board the benefit of the doubt though as they have got it right on the last 2 occasions. Welcome to the club Michael.

Agreed... Lets hope he is more Mogga than Calderwood 😁

Hibs90
09-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Boy is a tank, don't think any manager will want to give him square goes on the touchline :greengrin

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 12:35 PM
If anything this will be a strong test of the infrastructure Dempster has put in place. This could prove Dempster to be a genius or will have fans questioning how the club is being run by her and George Craig etc. Really hope it works out and we continue to grow as a club.

FilipinoHibs
09-02-2019, 12:38 PM
From what I've read Appleton is a good choice.

He's now got the rest of the season to see what the current squad can offer, with no pressure other than a good cup run and making the top six. We'll find out next season how good he is.

No pressure then😀

weecounty hibby
09-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Hibs manager or not, if a fight breaks out I'm on his side!!💪💪💪

WeeRussell
09-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Hibs manager or not, if a fight breaks out I'm on his side!!💪💪💪

You confusing him with Appleby? ;)

Greenworld
09-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Delighted with that appointment

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

cloudy
09-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Someone like Kevin Thomson would be an ideal assistant

MyJo
09-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Boy is a tank, don't think any manager will want to give him square goes on the touchline :greengrin

if he isn't powerbombing Craig Levein on top of the away dug-out at the next Derby i'll be demanding my money back :greengrin

Tobias Funke
09-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Good old Rubyhibee :greengrin

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Calm down pal. If you look back to when Stantonsboots posted I backed them and Appleton. Can you show me Tuesday where I was bemoaning Stubbs also? Pretty sure I posted then that I didn’t think he would be back as he would be by now. Furthermore, my first choice was always Strachan.

Genuinely no idea what your issue is with me to be honest, you seem to be like a dog with a bone to a good few posters though while always acting like a smaet arse.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Good old Rubyhibee :greengrin

Are you trying to say I’m a undercover hearts fan? If so why not just say it?

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Hopefully he gets to bring in his own number 2 who he wants and feels comfortable working alongside

MyJo
09-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Are you trying to say I’m a undercover hearts fan? If so why not just say it?

Ruby/Rocky/Ivan wasn't a hearts fan.

DarlingtonHibee
09-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Hopefully he gets to bring in his own number 2 who he wants and feels comfortable working alongside

This, needs to bring his own assistant. Someone he trusts.

S4uzee
09-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Delighted with that appointment

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Based on what?

Sir David Gray
09-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Think he's too busy with his commitments on Hun TV.

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Based on what?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/40411045

Did a great job at Oxford United without a notable budget in comparison to the teams around him, also getting to two cup finals in the three years there too. Unlucky to not be kept on as assistant at Leicester when Puel came in but seemed to be very well respected amongst their players. Has worked with both fourth tier and top tier players, has experienced both success and failure and appears to learn from his mistakes too.

We're never going to get a Guardiola in, nor even a Steve Clarke as his success has already put him out of most SPL clubs budgets bar Celtic. We need someone who's had a setback but has learned or has little experience but lots of potential. Appleton appears to have had a setback but also potential and has showed improvement throughout his career.

It also helps that he seems to be a top guy.

stantonsboots
09-02-2019, 01:06 PM
👍😁

bingo70
09-02-2019, 01:06 PM

At Oxford he had an old head as assistant and that would probably make sense again.

What’s Donald Park up to these days? He could be a sensible choice.

JimBHibees
09-02-2019, 01:08 PM

Totally agree needs to bring his own people in.

Stuart93
09-02-2019, 01:09 PM
This, needs to bring his own assistant. Someone he trusts.

Surely the days are passed where the club appoints his assistant

CLASS OF 72 -73
09-02-2019, 01:12 PM

You are kidding

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Based on what?

I was just reading his past appointment history and i dont think its bad at all. His first gig was at championship portsmouth who at the time were in a complete shambles and ended up in the bottom division. He then managed Blackpool to some degree of success which earned him a move to Blackburn. Blackburn looks to have been a poor move as he went on to fail at the club , that saw him being sacked. He then went onto manage Oxford where he done an amazing job in guiding them to promotion from league 2 finishing 2nd , and then taking the club to 8th place in league one the following season before leaving to become assistant manager at Leicester

Im beginning to think the guy could be an excellent appointment

Jones28
09-02-2019, 01:17 PM

No thanks, for the simple reason that he describes himself as a thinker. Being a thinker is fine but a self-described one is a no no.

MyJo
09-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Surely the days are passed where the club appoints his assistant

I'm sure its already been confirmed that the new manager will be expected to work with the existing coaches like Murray and Combe but he will be able to recruit his own assistant manager.

Jones28
09-02-2019, 01:19 PM
I wonder if Whittiker would be any help to him? He's certainly one of our more accomplished players and has great experience of Scottish Football.

cabbageandribs1875
09-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Calm down pal. If you look back to when Stantonsboots posted I backed them and Appleton. Can you show me Tuesday where I was bemoaning Stubbs also? Pretty sure I posted then that I didn’t think he would be back as he would be by now. Furthermore, my first choice was always Strachan.

Genuinely no idea what your issue is with me to be honest, you seem to be like a dog with a bone to a good few posters though while always acting like a smaet arse.

you make some fair points there :cb

Captain Trips
09-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Does the guy have family to bring here do we know?

BoomtownHibees
09-02-2019, 01:22 PM

He got sacked from Leicester whilst on honeymoon so assume he still has a wife.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 01:22 PM

I'm perfectly calm and I have no issue with you. If I did, you'd be on ignore.

I just find you fascinating.

On Tuesday you said that it was "a shanner 😞" when Tam McManus was reported as saying Stubbs wasn't in the running.

Yesterday you told us that you had money on Heckingbottom and today you've happily informed us that you backed Appleton.

One other thing, I don't think "other posters" need you to speak for them.

eastmainsmsh
09-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Derek Fazackerley was his assistant

Rogic29
09-02-2019, 01:26 PM
jeez if the players were intimidated by Lennon they're in for a surprise, think it's a good appointment :thumbsup:- and agree with bringing in his own assistant nothing worse than being forced to work wi a guy you're not comfortable around or whos just a c***

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 01:31 PM
jeez if the players were intimated by Lennon they're in for a surprise, think it's a good appointment :thumbsup:- and agree with bringing in his own assistant nothing worse than being forced to work wi a guy you're not comfortable around or whos just a c***

Guys that size are quite often not as aggressive as they look. Look at dyche at Burnley as an example , very rarely do you see him losing the plot. He is quite articulate too.

Lago
09-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Smoke screen

Lago
09-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Some build on the guy wouldn't mess with him. If he does not do well though I have no issue on telling him so...... Via email.
Flo is clearing his locker😁

green with envy
09-02-2019, 01:46 PM

I like the idea of Bouzy. Wouldn't think Hamilton would be to hard to deal with RE: compo.

Silky
Flo is clearing his locker😁

He's not. He went to clear his locker but missed it.

Lago

To be fair to him I took his post be of the light heart nature, unusual but that's how I read it.
Take it back just read his reply & your right bit of a smart .....

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 01:54 PM
I started writing a post saying how worrying I found the suggestion of his appointment and finished up thinking he could be outstanding once I'd looked closely at the detail of his record and at what Oxford United fans have to say about him.

He will need time and money though, that looks clear. My only doubt is whether a manager with no experience of the Scottish leagues - and without the money that eg The Rangers would give such a manager to throw at it all - will fit in.

I also think he will be off like a shot as soon as anything better emerges in England.

calumhibee1
09-02-2019, 01:56 PM

:agree:

tamig
09-02-2019, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Whittiker would be any help to him? He's certainly one of our more accomplished players and has great experience of Scottish Football.

Thought he was sacked in the fallout from Lennongate?

Jones28
09-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Thought he was sacked in the fallout from Lennongate?

Well he played against St Mirren.

Ronniekirk
09-02-2019, 02:04 PM
I posted this last Sunday morning. Looks like he's been in the frame all along.

'Sunday Times suggesting references have been asked for several options, including for Michael Appleton'.

Sucsedsion Planning

tamig
09-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Well he played against St Mirren.

Aye but people on here were telling us he was sacked that fateful Friday.

Hibeesmad
Michael Appleton’s green and white army 💚

One Day Soon
Aye but people on here were telling us he was sacked that fateful Friday.

He was but he just won't listen.

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 02:07 PM

"Appleton: tank, tank, tank

Appleton: tank, tank, tank"

There's no way I was the only one thinking it.

Borderhibbie76
09-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Just reported on Sportsound that NO appointment is imminent and people still to be interviewed??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
09-02-2019, 02:12 PM

On Radio just now saying the message is there are further interviews next week but Appleton at the game today That ftom Reporter Brian McLaughlin who spoke to Leeann an Hour ago
Preston saying Alex Ferguson was backing Appleton
But no appointment has Officially been made

Heisenberg
09-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Surely if Appleton is going to be at the game then it’s his?

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Surely if Appleton is going to be at the game then it’s his?

If I had applied for the job and I didn't turn up to watch, I wouldn't expect to be appointed.

I would expect other candidates to be there today, too, unless the decision has been made..

LaMotta
09-02-2019, 02:28 PM
I was just reading his past appointment history and i dont think its bad at all. His first gig was at championship portsmouth who at the time were in a complete shambles and ended up in the bottom division. He then managed Blackpool to some degree of success which earned him a move to Blackburn. Blackburn looks to have been a poor move as he went on to fail at the club , that saw him being sacked. He then went onto manage Oxford where he done an amazing job in guiding them to promotion from league 2 finishing 2nd , and then taking the club to 8th place in league one the following season before leaving to become assistant manager at Leicester

Im beginning to think the guy could be an excellent appointment

Don't think you could say with any conviction he was
either a success at blackpool or a failure at blackburn. He strangely only spent about 3 months at each club.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Don't think you could say with any conviction he was
either a success at blackpool or a failure at blackburn. He strangely only spent about 3 months at each club.

Thats why i said some degree 👍

leithsansiro
09-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Appleton apparently has the ear of Sir Alex Ferguson to call on. Plus, he perhaps has a few contacts, particularly for young players, in England.

Dav13
09-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Nice little artical/interview here
https://keeptheball.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/michael-appleton-interview/

Lago
09-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Just reported on Sportsound that NO appointment is imminent and people still to be interviewed??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Boo

Lago
09-02-2019, 02:59 PM
If I had applied for the job and I didn't turn up to watch, I wouldn't expect to be appointed.

I would expect other candidates to be there today, too, unless the decision has been made..
So if we have a spotter at the game we will determine who the final candidates are?

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 03:03 PM
So if we have a spotter at the game we will determine who the final candidates are?

We might not recognise them.

I'd definitely be there if I had applied. It would give out the right signals and allow me a look at the team.

Moulin Yarns
09-02-2019, 03:04 PM

But how will he vote in an independence referendum? :wink:

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 03:08 PM
But how will he vote in an independence referendum? :wink:

We'll never know. :wink:

Tobias Funke
09-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Ruby/Rocky/Ivan wasn't a hearts fan.

Apart from the 10,000 odd posts on Kickback pretending to be a Hearts fan :wink:

Joe6-2
09-02-2019, 03:34 PM
We'll never know. :wink:

😂😂😂

LaMotta
09-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Thats why i said some degree 👍

For Blackpool yes, but you said unequivocally that he failed at Blackburn:na na:

Tug Wilson
09-02-2019, 04:25 PM
You know what. I don't care if it didn't work out at Blackpool or Blackburn for the guy.

It is what he does at Hibs (if he gets the job) that matters.

He has plenty of experience, worked with a lot of good people and I imagine has decent contacts in the English game.

I am willing to trust Leanne Dempster and George Craig who have met him rather than a quick Google search and squint at his Wikipedia page.

Seaquest
09-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Big risk and the will need a good assistant who knows the Scottish game.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 04:59 PM
You know what. I don't care if it didn't work out at Blackpool or Blackburn for the guy.

It is what he does at Hibs (if he gets the job) that matters.

He has plenty of experience, worked with a lot of good people and I imagine has decent contacts in the English game.

I am willing to trust Leanne Dempster and George Craig who have met him rather than a quick Google search and squint at his Wikipedia page.

It did work out at Blackpool. That’s why basket case Blackburn took him. 👍 agree with the rest too.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Why is it a big risk?

Allant1981
09-02-2019, 05:03 PM
It did work out at Blackpool. That’s why basket case Blackburn took him. 👍 agree with the rest too.

He was only in charge of Blackpool for 11 or 12 games and only won 2

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:06 PM

He also steadied the ship after the manager was sacked and had 2 losses.

Glass half full is me.

Allant1981
09-02-2019, 05:07 PM
He also steadied the ship after the manager was sacked and had 2 losses.

Glass half full is me.

If he comes in here and after 11 games has only won 2 of them then our fans will be going nuts

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:13 PM
If he comes in here and after 11 games has only won 2 of them then our fans will be going nuts

He’s not taking over a team fighting relegation though.

Lennon won 2 of 14 and still had about half the supports backing too.

Dashing Bob S
09-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Don't know who the guy is and I'm quite frankly too pissed off to be bothered researching.

I'm predicting RIGHT NOW that Appleton will be sacked or move on to more lucrative pastures.

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Correct. He needs a decent run to the end of the season which means playing football that's good enough to show real promise for next year plus winning games.

Next year he needs to finish top four.

Silky
09-02-2019, 05:14 PM

I don't know. 9 draws. Unbeaten in 11. That's no bad!!

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Don't know who the guy is and I'm quite frankly too pissed off to be bothered researching.

I'm predicting RIGHT NOW that Appleton will be sacked or move on to more lucrative pastures.

If he does the second then good luck to him, it will mean he’s done a good job. Just as when a player comes in and leaves for something better.

I want a manager hungry for success to shop window himself. What’s the alternative? Danny Lennon and a dream job for life?

Dashing Bob S
09-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Guys that size are quite often not as aggressive as they look. Look at dyche at Burnley as an example , very rarely do you see him losing the plot. He is quite articulate too.

You don't expect the managers we appoint to be All Saints FFS.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Correct. He needs a decent run to the end of the season which means playing football that's good enough to show real promise for next year plus winning games.

Next year he needs to finish top four.

Yet you where will to back Lennon regardless of where we finished this season? Now he needs to achieve that amazing exception 4 to be backed? You’re all over the shop today.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Nah, he'll resign as coach and take up the vacant lion tamer role.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Exactly. Water under the bridge as far as I’m concerned.

One Day Soon

There are plenty of possible reasons but what exactly is pissing you off?

Allant1981

He will be coming into a team that's not winning though(today excluded) fingers crossed he brings something if he is the person appointed

Callum_62
09-02-2019, 05:21 PM
There are plenty of possible reasons but what exactly is pissing you off?

[emoji2357]whooooosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
09-02-2019, 05:22 PM

So a Neil Lennon type manager then.

:duck:

:greengrin

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 05:24 PM
He will be coming into a team that's not winning though(today excluded) fingers crossed he brings something if he is the person appointed

Any manager coming to Hibs should be aiming to deliver top 4 otherwise there's a problem. Those criteria were being quoted by Lennon's critics before the season had ended and I'd be surprised if they were hypocritical enough to accept less from another manager. He needs to start winning as consistently with this squad as Lennon did with it before the losing run kicked in.

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 05:25 PM
[emoji2357]whooooosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 05:26 PM

Lennon gained that respect through getting us promoted, finishing 4th and getting through a few stages of Europe to then lose 3 of our best players in the summer and half the team getting injured.

Now looking forward to what the future holds. If things don’t go our way it will be the board getting the slack rather than the manager.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:35 PM

We’ve just won 2 out of 4 and a good head coach has a brilliant platform to go forward with now until the end of the season when he can move on a good few and have his own budget.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Lennon gained that respect through getting us promoted, finishing 4th and getting through a few stages of Europe to then lose 3 of our best players in the summer and half the team getting injured.

Now looking forward to what the future holds. If things don’t go our way it will be the board getting the slack rather than the manager.

So our new guy doesn’t gain respect and backing from our support?

Lennon has chucked it and this season was brutal yet he was still to be backed yet our new guy is to take another persons side that couldn’t get the best out of them otherwise he will be hounded out?

No, he should be given time until that window shuts in August to put his stamp on the team then questions can be asked.

judas
09-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Every manager at our level is a risk.

So it’s welcome to MA from me.

Lancs Harp
09-02-2019, 06:32 PM
I'm a Blackpool lad and saw some of those games. He couldn't work under the Oyston regime (no alone there) and didnt hang about when he discovered the true nature of things at Blackpool and walked.

If i'm honest, what I know of Heckingbottom and Appleton in terms of entertaining football it would be Heckingbottom every day of the week. I think Appletons teams would have a bit more of a tough streak in them though.

Both work a look, with their own ideas but both with more than a little risk, bit IMO less of a risk than appointing Stubbsy and that didnt turn out too bad did it?

tamig
09-02-2019, 06:38 PM

Why? Stubbs coaching team had no Scottish knowledge other than the man himself having played here 20 years ago.

BullsCloseHibs
09-02-2019, 06:42 PM

No more a risk than Steve Clark or Tommy Wright. I'm looking forward to a refreshing change!

California-Hibs
09-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Until its actually Appleton (which I hope it is) this thread should be deleted. Or at least a title change

MWHIBBIES
09-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Why is experience of this absolute pudding league needed? If anything I want a manager who knows the other, better leagues well and signs players from there.

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Why is experience of this absolute pudding league needed? If anything I want a manager who knows the other, better leagues well and signs players from there.

Its irrelevant imo. Even going back to Mowbray’s time. No coaching background for him or Venus up here.

Billy Whizz
09-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Its irrelevant imo. Even going back to Mowbray’s time. No coaching background for him or Venus up here.

Mowbray played in Scotland, so he knew what the league was all about

Lago
09-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Agree no need to recycle the same old names that keep popping up in Scottish football.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2019, 07:14 PM
I think it’s irrelevant these days, coaches like Appleton will know a lot about most leagues like Scotland and the lower levels in England.

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Again a long time before he returned here. Stubbs was away 20 years before he managed us. How is the fact that both played in Scotland relevant to their chances of doing a good job coaching here? Just because you’ve never coached or played in a country doesn’t mean your knowledge of it is zero.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 07:18 PM
For Blackpool yes, but you said unequivocally that he failed at Blackburn:na na:

Yeah because he got sacked there

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 07:20 PM

Eh?

The 90+2

Yep. Celtic and Rangers get all decisions and never question them.

Lancs Harp
Regarding Appletons short reign at Blackpool that was in championship not league one or two. I think he only lost 2 league games, a lot of draws from memory and had a tendency to set his teams up a little bit defensively. Certainly if 'Pool got in front he'd rather defend what they had rather than go for more. Was a few years ago now and nothing stands still so he has probably developed his approach.

pacoluna
09-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Lennon has chucked it and this season was brutal yet he was still to be backed yet our new guy is to take another persons side that couldn’t get the best out of them otherwise he will be hounded out?

No, he should be given time until that window shuts in August to put his stamp on the team then questions can be asked.

Your still talking about Lennon I see, when will it end.
I thought this thread was about MA.

Billy Whizz
09-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Again a long time before he returned here. Stubbs was away 20 years before he managed us. How is the fact that both played in Scotland relevant to their chances of doing a good job coaching here? Just because you’ve never coached or played in a country doesn’t mean your knowledge of it is zero.

I was just replying to your thread, it must have helped Mowbray and Stubbs, that they knew what our league was all about
I’m not saying it’s mandatory

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Your still talking about Lennon I see, when will it end.
I thought this thread was about MA.

I was comparing how much time the next HC will be given in comparison with some our last one. Nothing personal although some weirdly think it is.

ScottB
09-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Don’t see why direct experience is needed, I’m sure he and his staff will scout / analyse opponents and work that into their tactical plans.

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Eh?

Whoosh for you. Pure Shores.

LaMotta
09-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Yeah because he got sacked there

So you think 3 months at a club is enough to justify a sacking?!

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Whoosh for you. Pure Shores.

Hardly , i know where its at ...

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 07:36 PM
So you think 3 months at a club is enough to justify a sacking?!

No and i dint say that either. I said he failed there , which he did because he was sacked...

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:39 PM
I was just replying to your thread, it must have helped Mowbray and Stubbs, that they knew what our league was all about
I’m not saying it’s mandatory

I just think in this technology age it’s a bit of an outdated view imo. I prefer a bit of freshness to the bland same old same old pick up someone who’s fallen off the merry go round that a lot of clubs seem to adopt.

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Hardly , i know where its at ...

Why the eh then?

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2019, 07:40 PM
A premature thread, which might look embarrassing if another manager/coach is named.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Why the eh then?

That a new song?

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:42 PM
A premature thread, which might look embarrassing if another manager/coach is named.

Folk can discuss the prospect though - no? Maybe the title is premature. The thread and content definitely not.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Just Imagine that happened LL.

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Just Imagine that happened LL.

I'm already chuckling away at the prospect.:wink:

tamig
09-02-2019, 07:50 PM

90+2 will need to spill the beans as to who else he’s got money on.

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2019, 07:52 PM

:tee hee::tee hee:

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Folk can discuss the prospect though - no? Maybe the title is premature. The thread and content definitely not.

Conceded.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Strachan 👍

LaMotta
09-02-2019, 07:59 PM
No and i dint say that either. I said he failed there , which he did because he was sacked...

Ok so back to my original pont, just because he was sacked doesnt mean be failed!

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Ok so back to my original pont, just because he was sacked doesnt mean be failed!

Go back and read my original post again. I said he was a success to some degree at blackpool and that he failed at blackburn. He was sacked ffs , sacked because of his results , of course he failed.

HIGHLANDLEITHER
09-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Grant Murray?

LaMotta
09-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Go back and read my original post again. I said he was a success to some degree at blackpool and that he failed at blackburn. He was sacked ffs , sacked because of his results , of course he failed.

He spent less than THREE months at Blackburn! He was sacked there because the owners are LUNATICS!.

To say he failed is disingenuous.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 08:14 PM
He spent less than THREE months at Blackburn! He was sacked there because the owners are LUNATICS!.

He failed at Blackburn .. Pretty straightforward fact 🤭

tamig
09-02-2019, 08:14 PM

Was that the chicken tycoons?

MB62
09-02-2019, 08:25 PM

If we had a spotter at the game, he/She would be playing 'spot the crowd'

trev the hat
09-02-2019, 08:45 PM

This was his assistant at Oxford & he is still there.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/teams/first-team/coaching-staff/derek-fazackerley/

A mate’s an Oxford season booker & rates Appleton highly after he done well there.

Hiber-nation
09-02-2019, 08:46 PM
This was his assistant at Oxford & he is still there.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/teams/first-team/coaching-staff/derek-fazackerley/

A mate’s an Oxford season booker & rates Appleton highly after he done well there.

I'm sure he played against us for Blackburn in the Anglo-Scottish Cup back in 78 or whenever.

bingo70
09-02-2019, 08:49 PM
I'm sure he played against us for Blackburn in the Anglo-Scottish Cup back in 78 or whenever.

That’s incredible knowledge.

I’m struggling to remember the hibs team for the game that finished a few hours ago and you can remember players from a team that played against us about 40 years ago?!

Fair play to you 😂

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:01 PM

I’m stating facts buddy. Under Neil Lennon’s management we got promoted, finished 4th, got through 2 or 3 stages of Europe and lost 3 of our best players. Appleton deserves time and I’m sure all fans will give him that. But when he turns out to be a failure it will be the board who get the s*** not him. I’m happy to bet £100 that under Appleton’s management we will not finish in the top 4.

Hiber-nation
09-02-2019, 09:02 PM
That’s incredible knowledge.

I’m struggling to remember the hibs team for the game that finished a few hours ago and you can remember players from a team that played against us about 40 years ago?!

Fair play to you 😂

Hahahaha....we were standing with the Blackburn fans and I'm sure they were raving about him. The name just stood out!

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 09:06 PM

It's Colin Calderwood again, apparently :greengrin

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 09:08 PM
I’m stating facts buddy. Under Neil Lennon’s management we got promoted, finished 4th, got through 2 or 3 stages of Europe and lost 3 of our best players. Appleton deserves time and I’m sure all fans will give him that. But when he turns out to be a failure it will be the board who get the s*** not him. I’m happy to bet £100 that under Appleton’s management we will not finish in the top 4.

We might not, we haven’t got the three best midfielders in Scotland that Lennon inherited any longer.

I know what you’re saying too and if he fails or the next guy does the board will have serious questions to answer.

Heisenberg
09-02-2019, 09:16 PM

“Appleton deserves time and I’m sure all fans will give him that. But when he turns out to be a failure....”

Sounds like he’s already had his time with you? Some folk are going to be right on him from the start. Difficult situation for any new manager to come in to.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:18 PM
“Appleton deserves time and I’m sure all fans will give him that. But when he turns out to be a failure....”

Sounds like he’s already had his time with you? Some folk are going to be right on him from the start. Difficult situation for any new manager to come in to.

I will back him 100%, I want Hibs to win every game that’s why I invest so much money and time into them. I just don’t think he is the right appointment unfortunately mate.

I would have preferred Stubbs.

jacomo
09-02-2019, 09:20 PM

I’d take that bet on but I don’t want to credit such rank pessimism within our ranks.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:23 PM
I’d take that bet on but I don’t want to credit such rank pessimism within our ranks.

If we finished in the top 4 and got another shot at Europe under Appleton it would be worth every penny.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 09:26 PM

It’s because there’s a Neil Lennon supporters club on here. Same folk who would never want Stubbs back (weirdly). Stubbs left, I backed Lennon, Lennon leaves I back the next guy. Why would anyone gleefully supporting Hibernian want our next guy to fail just to go “told you we shouldn’t have parted with Lennon” it’s bamboozling.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 09:27 PM
If we finished in the top 4 and got another shot at Europe under Appleton it would be worth every penny.

If we finish top six and not play footballing bingo it will be worth the admission to where our last guy left us.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:30 PM
If we finish top six and not play footballing bingo it will be worth the admission to where our last guy left us.

Better than spending 3 seasons in the championship.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 09:30 PM
I will back him 100%, I want Hibs to win every game that’s why I invest so much money and time into them. I just don’t think he is the right appointment unfortunately mate.

Me too. I thought Stubbs to the end of the season was a no-brainer to be honest.

We'd have had a manager in straight away, might not have meekly coughed up 6 points in the league which might make the difference in making the top 6, knows the club and a lot of the players, and would have bought the Board a bit of time.

I've long since stopped trying to work out how our Board's mind works though, and I suspect they'll not be telling us any time soon, either.

DC_Hibs
09-02-2019, 09:32 PM

You’re not the sharpest tool so how did you come to try conclusion how well Appleton will do at Hibs? Probably very easily influenced like other hard of thinking sheep types no doubt so went with the pro Lennon brigade.

Does nobody think Lennon has been hopeless this season, the board are overrated and let’s back the new boy regardless and hope he does the business!!

And another thing, have you not got a kiddy on website to be running?
Mad by name.....

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Me too. I thought Stubbs to the end of the season was a no-brainer to be honest.

We'd have had a manager in straight away, might not have meekly coughed up 6 points in the league which might make the difference in making the top 6, knows the club and a lot of the players, and would have bought the Board a bit of time.

I've long since stopped trying to work out how our Board's mind works though, and I suspect they'll not be telling us any time soon, either.

After Lennon I was expecting a statement of intent from the board. Maybe Strachan who knows the Scottish game, won multiple premierships and managed the national team. Maybe he will come this next next year.

tamig
09-02-2019, 09:34 PM

So the Board are taking their time to try and ensure they get the right man but you wanted a stop gap because they might have stopped us getting beat in two of the four games since NL left? Doesn’t make sense to me but any excuse for you to have a pop at the Board. Again.

tamig
09-02-2019, 09:35 PM
After Lennon I was expecting a statement of intent from the board. Maybe Strachan who knows the Scottish game, won multiple premierships and managed the national team. Maybe he will come this next next year.

What is this Strachan love-in? Sorry, I just don’t get it.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:35 PM
You’re not the sharpest tool so how did you come to try conclusion how well Appleton will do at Hibs? Probably very easily influenced like other hard of thinking sheep types no doubt so went with the pro Lennon brigade.

Does nobody think Lennon has been hopeless this season, the board are overrated and let’s back the new boy regardless and hope he does the business!!

And another thing, have you not got a kiddy on website to be running?
Mad by name.....

I’m just uninspired by the appointment buddy. Aren’t you?

Haven’t made a personal dig at you and don’t intend too. That wouldn’t be a sharp decision.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:37 PM
What is this Strachan love-in? Sorry, I just don’t get it.

Everyone is untitled to their own opinions. that’s what I love about forums like this. I’ve just got to the stage that I love winding people up because it seems to annoy them. Maybe that’s immature of me. But please keep biting 😁

Speedway
09-02-2019, 09:41 PM
I’m just uninspired by the appointment buddy. Aren’t you?

Haven’t made a personal dig at you and don’t intend too. That wouldn’t be a sharp decision.

Do you remember how inspired we were about Mowbray’s appointment on here?

Some folk even got him confused with Stuart Ripley 😂

tamig
09-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Everyone is untitled to their own opinions. that’s what I love about forums like this. I’ve just got to the stage that I love winding people up because it seems to annoy them. Maybe that’s immature of me. But please keep biting 😁

Eh - aye ok then.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Better than spending 3 seasons in the championship.

That makes no sense when you say you wanted Stubbs back.

Gordy M

Sorry im a bit confused, which wouldnt be hard tbf, you posted that you would prefer Stubbs, but then go on to post that having Lennon was better than 3 years in the Championship.....erm that was under Stubbs?

Hibeesmad
Do you remember how inspired we were about Mowbray’s appointment on here?

Some folk even got him confused with Stuart Ripley 😂

If we manage to do anything near what we did under Mowbray’s reign I would be delighted! Michael Appleton’s green and white army 💚💚💚

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Sorry im a bit confused, which wouldnt be hard tbf, you posted that you would prefer Stubbs, but then go on to post that having Lennon was better than 3 years in the Championship.....erm that was under Stubbs?

2 years and a Scottish Cup once in a lifetime win. 👍

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:45 PM

Stubbs is a legend around here bud

Speedway
09-02-2019, 09:46 PM
I thought Lennon was a fraud?

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:46 PM
2 years and a Scottish Cup once in a lifetime win. 👍

Hero

Gordy M
09-02-2019, 09:48 PM
Stubbs is a legend around here bud

I agree, thats why i was confused when you posted that Lennon was better than 3 seasons in the championship.....which is a go at Stubbs surely????

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 09:49 PM
So the Board are taking their time to try and ensure they get the right man but you wanted a stop gap because they might have stopped us getting beat in two of the four games since NL left? Doesn’t make sense to me but any excuse for you to have a pop at the Board. Again.

Tough for the Board then eh?

The "stop-gap" you refer to has managed here before (successfully) and would have provided not only competent coaching, but also for the most part maybe healed a few of the raw emotions that's being aired on here and other message boards/social media.

There's a lot of reasons to have a "pop" at them just now though, that's the harsh reality of the current situation - the staging of today's game being a microcosm of that, where Behind the Goals wasn't open, and it was difficult to buy a ticket/gain entry easily into a 20k stadium where a crowd of 9k was rattling around.

I, and others will call them out for that as we see it. It's called "debate".

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:50 PM
I agree, thats why i was confused when you posted that Lennon was better than 3 seasons in the championship.....which is a go at Stubbs surely????

I think finishing 4th in the Premiership is better than going into 3 years in the championship. Wasn’t meant to be a dig at Stubbs mate. Does that indicate that Stubbs didnt do a very good job in the championship?

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 09:51 PM
I can almost guarantee that Appleton will get next to no time to turn things round with some elements of our support (and I use that word so, so loosely), the same element of our support who have revised Alan Stubbs achievements with this club to him being some sort of catastrophic failure for us.

One Day Soon
09-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Getting back to the subject.....if it's Appleton - or whoever else - we need to back him to the hilt no matter what misgivings. He needs to be hitting top four next season and he needs to end this season on a good run of performances and wins.

Gordy M
09-02-2019, 09:54 PM
I think finishing 4th in the Premiership is better than going into 3 years in the championship. Wasn’t meant to be a dig at Stubbs mate. Does that indicate that Stubbs didnt do a very good job in the championship?

Id like to think im in line with most of the hibs support when i say i like Stubbs and Lennon. Stubbs will always be the man for what he did, and i loved the 2 seasons under Lennon. What i would say that credit has to go to LD and the board for both appointments, which gives me every confidence for the next appointment, i think they deserve that at least?

stantonhibby
09-02-2019, 09:56 PM
I can almost guarantee that Appleton will get next to no time to turn things round with some elements of our support (and I use that word so, so loosely), the same element of our support who have revised Alan Stubbs achievements with this club to him being some sort of catastrophic failure for us.

Bit like you with Neil Lennon then?

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 09:57 PM

Ahhhhhh, here we go with this old ****.

Bet it hurts to admit that I was right, doesn't it?

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Id lile to think im in line with most of the hibs support when i say i like Stubbs and Lennon. Stubbs will always be the man for what he did, and i loved the 2 seasons under Lennon. What i would say that credit has to go to LD and the board for both appointments, which gives me every confidence for the next appointment, i think they desrve that at least?

Because of what Stubbs did makes me want him more than Appleton mate. Board have been absolutely brilliant since relegation, the dismissal of Lennon seemed to be a bit amateurish, but that’s life. We can’t all be perfect.

Gordy M
09-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Because of what Stubbs did makes me want him more than Appleton mate. Board have been absolutely brilliant since relegation, the dismissal of Lennon seemed to be a bit ameaturish, but that’s life. We can’t all be perfect.

Yeh i totally get that, but there are obviously reasons he isnt getting the job, whatever those may be? Thats no resson to write off the new guy though surely?

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:01 PM
I just asked Paddy Power for a price on Hibs to not finish in the top four under Michael Appleton as manager and they have quoted me a price of 1/100. Not even a wind up. That’s ridiculous.

The 90+2
Hero

Pumped hearts and huns numerous times and brought the cup back to Leith, correct 👍

Hibeesmad
Yeh i totally get that, but there are obviously reasons he isnt getting the job, whatever those may be? Thats no resson to write off the new guy though surely?

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Pumped hearts and huns numerous times and brought the cup back to Leith, correct 👍

Him, Doolan and Taff will be back one day. Once Dempster leaves I think.

cabbageandribs1875
09-02-2019, 10:03 PM

spot on, was just about to quote the poster myself :aok:

bingo70
09-02-2019, 10:04 PM
I just asked Paddy Power for a price on Hibs to not finish in the top four under Michael Appleton as manager and they have quoted me a price of 1/100. Not even a wind up. That’s ridiculous.

Not really sure what your point is?

Lennon couldn’t finish in the top four with this side either and he put this side together, why is that the benchmark you’re setting for the new manager?

stantonhibby
Ahhhhhh, here we go with this old ****.

Bet it hurts to admit that I was right, doesn't it?

What are you on about? It's ironic you're banging on about Appleton getting no time from some supporters when you were like that from day 1 with Lennon.

The 90+2
Him, Doolan and Taff will be back one day. Once Dempster leaves I think.

I hope so.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Not really sure what your point is?

Lennon couldn’t finish in the top four with this side either and he put this side together, why is that the benchmark you’re setting for the new manager?

Lennon’s long gone. I just don’t think Appleton will achieve better than what Lennon did. That’s my opinion.

Michael

Sounds about right. What odds would you offer?

Northernhibee
spot on, was just about to quote the poster myself :aok:

I could point out that I got bored of constant draws and boring football near the end of his first season and did give him praise during his half decent season of football but it's breath wasted on Lennon's biggest sycophants.

Your idol's no longer at the club. Get on board with the new manager or go enjoy the rugby instead :aok:

MSK
09-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Lennon’s long gone. I just don’t think Appleton will achieve better than what Lennon did. That’s my opinion.Why not ?

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 10:06 PM

Let's hope George Craig has been nowhere near the decision-making process, however I fear that has been the reason for the lukewarm response to Stubbs expressing his interest.

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 10:07 PM
What are you on about? It's ironic you're banging on about Appleton getting no time from some supporters when you were like that from day 1 with Lennon.

You're a 52 year old man trying to pick arguments on a message board on a day we've won rather than enjoying that victory. Like Neil, winner :aok:

bingo70
09-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Lennon’s long gone. I just don’t think Appleton will achieve better than what Lennon did. That’s my opinion.

It’s a different set of circumstances. Lennon pretty much inherited one of the best midfields in Scotland and got to build momentum in the championship.

Lennon has left a shambles for the new guy to take over, hopefully he’ll be able to do it but it certainly won’t be this season.

theScientist
09-02-2019, 10:08 PM

Mikey Apps' green and white army 💚💚💚

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Sounds about right. What odds would you offer?

Well I don’t think it will happen. But considering he could be here for 10 years I thought it would be a lot better value.

Gordy M
09-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Did you get odds for next season? since the new manager will be 14 points off fourth before he even starts?

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Why not ?

What has he achieved as a manager?

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Did you get odds for next season? since the new manager will be 14 points off fourth before he even starts?

The odds are based on his entire time in charge of Hibs.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:12 PM
It’s a different set of circumstances. Lennon pretty much inherited one of the best midfields in Scotland and got to build momentum in the championship.

Lennon has left a shambles for the new guy to take over, hopefully he’ll be able to do it but it certainly won’t be this season.

Bit harsh on Lennon, I don’t think he would have wanted us without Ambrose, Allan, McGinn, McGeough and Barker. Or wanted Boyle, MacLaren, Hanlon, Gray, Stevenson, Porteous and Agyepong all injured.

Gordy M
09-02-2019, 10:13 PM
The odds are based on his entire time in charge of Hibs.

Interesting, do you know what the odds for a top 4 finish next year are. Im assuming pretty large if we are 1/100 not to.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Interesting, do you know what the odds for a top 4 finish next year are. Im assuming pretty large if we are 1/100 not to.

I asked straight after that quote, just awaiting a response!

Dalianwanda
09-02-2019, 10:15 PM

What had Stubbs achieved. What had Mowbray achieved?

What are you counting as an achievement? He’s built up experience at a higher level than we’re at and is very well thought of by the previous two clubs he was at. It’s not as if Lennon was an amazing success story.

Gordy M
09-02-2019, 10:15 PM
I asked straight after that quote, just awaiting a response!

:aok: I wonder if they think Appleton isn’t getting the job?

bingo70
09-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Bit harsh on Lennon, I don’t think he would have wanted us without Ambrose, Allan, McGinn, McGeough and Barker. Or wanted Boyle, MacLaren, Hanlon, Gray, Stevenson, Porteous and Agyepong all injured.

Lennon did a good job the first two years he was here.

The new managers job is still a very different one to the one Lennon took on though.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Like paco said ages back can’t we concentrate on our new head coach instead of looking back?

Golden Bear
09-02-2019, 10:21 PM
I truly hated Lennon as a player as he was a nasty piece of work, it took a while for me to warm to him as a Hibs Manager (but I did,) however this season proved that he thought himself greater than Hibs and no individual will ever be that. Best of luck to the new guy whoever that may be. Onwards and upwards as another chapter in the Club's history is about to open.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:22 PM
What had Stubbs achieved. What had Mowbray achieved?

What are you counting as an achievement? He’s built up experience at a higher level than we’re at and is very well thought of by the previous two clubs he was at. It’s not as if Lennon was an amazing success story.

I can’t help but repeat I hope we do amazing under Appleton. We had more happy memories under Lennon than bad memories.

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Tell you go, here's day 1.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?312338-Neil-Lennon-announced-new-Hibs-boss-on-BBC-(merged)/page2&highlight=neil+lennon+new+manager

In fact, three or four months into the job I commented "He's a dickhead, but he's our dickhead" (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?315884-Neil-Lennon&highlight=neil+lennon+new+manager) - putting to one side my dislike of the man and supporting him and calling him one of our own in terms of the club.

I can actually remember the game I thought that he wasn't the right man for the job - and the first time I said as such was the 1-1 draw with Ayr United at ER where they went ahead within five minutes and we laboured our way to the most turgid draw possible. I also gave him credit in the second half of last season when he finally had us playing good football. I could look out links to provide proof for yourself but quite frankly the weird obsessive nature of Lennon fans about when someone doesn't like him is just not normal and I don't care that much.

You have a good evening looking for other people who realised a long time ago that we needed a change of manager :aok:

MSK
09-02-2019, 10:27 PM
What has he achieved as a manager?Does it matter ?

theScientist
09-02-2019, 10:29 PM

What had Stubbs achieved as a manager before delivering the holy grail? And what did Lennon achieve when he never had the biggest budget?

Pretty naive view.

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:32 PM
Does it matter ?

Aye

Hibeesmad
09-02-2019, 10:32 PM
What had Stubbs achieved as a manager before delivering the holy grail? And what did Lennon achieve when he never had the biggest budget?

Pretty naive view.

Fair enough buddy. Let’s see what the future holds.

theScientist
09-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Fair enough buddy. Let’s see what the future holds.

100% agree with you, let's see what the future holds.

Before judging though let's give our new manager the full backing of the hibs fans rather than have fraction write him off before he has the chance to work with the squad.

matty_f
09-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Let's hope George Craig has been nowhere near the decision-making process, however I fear that has been the reason for the lukewarm response to Stubbs expressing his interest.

Why would George Craig be nowhere near the decision? He was very close to the decisions to bring in Stubbs and Lennon.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Why would George Craig be nowhere near the decision? He was very close to the decisions to bring in Stubbs and Lennon.

Need for a scapegoat.

supermcginn
09-02-2019, 10:48 PM

Spot on. Lennon is a guy that lost to ross county at hampden with a team on 200 grand more a week and 15 million in transfer fees. Time for us to move on.

JimBHibees
09-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Why? He will be central to it and quite right too given his position at the club.

Tobias Funke
09-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Aye

Alex McLeish - Achieved nothing prior to Hibs
Tony Mowbray - Achieved nothing prior to Hibs
Alan Stubbs - Achieved nothing prior to Hibs

So no, it doesn’t really matter.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:56 PM

It’s another person within the club to rip into. Get with the plan.

MSK
09-02-2019, 10:58 PM
AyeCome on then, explain then

Diclonius
09-02-2019, 10:59 PM
NEIL LENNON IS GONE.

Either get over it or go and support the next club he manages (if any). Either way, the rest of us will be grateful for it.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:59 PM
Spot on. Lennon is a guy that lost to ross county at hampden with a team on 200 grand more a week and 15 million in transfer fees. Time for us to move on.

He was only acting head coach at that time though to be fair and he did pimp Barca as Celtic head coach. Yet some will say I’m a Lennon hater based on **** all.

It is time to move on though agreed.

CathroMustStay
09-02-2019, 11:04 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WhichDisfiguredEft-max-1mb.gif

theScientist
09-02-2019, 11:06 PM
Alex McLeish - Achieved nothing prior to Hibs
Tony Mowbray - Achieved nothing prior to Hibs
Alan Stubbs - Achieved nothing prior to Hibs

So no, it doesn’t really matter.

I agree with you hugo, but this shows how fine a line it is between success and failure at hibs. Mowbray didn't achieve at hibs other than have us high up the league and playing decent football, same for mcleish. To an extent you can throw Lennon into this category.

Stubbs never set the place on fire in league terms but delivered the holy grail so he is probably the only one who exceeded expectation.

So for all the achieved nothing before hibs, there us only one who achieved anything with hibs other than playing attractive football which is what hibs fans want to see.

It leads to the question of what exactly we expect from a hibs manager?

04Sauzee
09-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted, apologies big it has but this is well worth a read
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-short-leicester-city-oxford-united-portsmouth-fc-blackpool-blakburn-rovers-west-brom/

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:56 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WhichDisfiguredEft-max-1mb.gif

You’ve not posted that in Celtic.net m8.

Hi Heid Yin
10-02-2019, 12:14 AM
I'm encouraged to see one or two posters talk of "moving on from Neil Lennon and the recent past" and to focus on our imminent new manager and the next Hibs chapter.

I for one am happy to "move on" too, as an "impasse" has been reached and it's all become just a little tedious, predictable, boring and a distraction.

So, no more defending "Neil Lennon" from this Hibby.

I am quietly excited at the prospect of a new face at Easter Road imposing his own character, methods and ideals.

I believe that we have some quality players on our books who simply need to be moulded into a "team" that plays "as a team" and not as " a bunch of individuals".

This is our new manager's first priority: to mould our players into a unit that is 1: difficult to beat and 2: pleasing-on-the-eye.

The 90+2
10-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Good man LL and spot on too.

tamig
10-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Tough for the Board then eh?

The "stop-gap" you refer to has managed here before (successfully) and would have provided not only competent coaching, but also for the most part maybe healed a few of the raw emotions that's being aired on here and other message boards/social media.

There's a lot of reasons to have a "pop" at them just now though, that's the harsh reality of the current situation - the staging of today's game being a microcosm of that, where Behind the Goals wasn't open, and it was difficult to buy a ticket/gain entry easily into a 20k stadium where a crowd of 9k was rattling around.

I, and others will call them out for that as we see it. It's called "debate".

I wouldn’t have minded having Stubbsy back but you mention competent coaching. Are you implying that there’s incompetent coaching taking place under the caretaker team? Also bear in mind Stubbsy wouldn’t have been coming in with his two trusted lieutenants this time. I’ll happilly wait until the new man’s unveiled next week.

Edit - I’ll give you the ticketing issues though. That has been nothing short of a disgrace and I’m sure it tooks it toll on the crowd today and has cost us money. The club need to get it sorted sharpish.

Dashing Bob S
10-02-2019, 03:00 AM
Instead of moving on I’ll just move back - to May 2016 if that’s all the same with everyone here.