PDA

View Full Version : Induction or Ceramic

alhibby
05-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Looking to replace gas hob with electric and cant decide between Induction ( seems the best) or Ceramic. Wife has got her eye on Induction hob that works off 13a plug as we don't have enough power in kitchen, but it appears that all 4 rings cannot be used at the same time? Also i'm told that with induction you can only use certain pans, stainless etc, anyone got any experience with them? Any help is appreciated TIA :thumbsup:

Jim44
05-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Looking to replace gas hob with electric and cant decide between Induction ( seems the best) or Ceramic. Wife has got her eye on Induction hob that works off 13a plug as we don't have enough power in kitchen, but it appears that all 4 rings cannot be used at the same time? Also i'm told that with induction you can only use certain pans, stainless etc, anyone got any experience with them? Any help is appreciated TIA :thumbsup:

I’ve had an induction hob for a few years. I’ve never experienced a limit on the number of rings used at one time. It’s clean, less accident prone ( no flame and rings don’t get hot except for reflected heat). It’s very quick on highest setting ( power setting on mine ) and instant control of heat is excellent. You need induction pots and pans, basically stainless steel bases ( I believe you can get some sort of gizmo that allows you to use other types, but don’t quote me ). One slight disadvantage is, if you use chefy techniques, it’s not good for tilting the pan to flick fat etc. over the food as you really have to keep the pan in contact with the surface. There’s some good videos about induction cooking on YouTube. I think induction is superior to ceramic.

Scouse Hibee
05-02-2019, 07:05 PM

Induction far superior but it sounds like you need an electrician first to run a separate circuit from the fuse board. We one of our restaurant kitchens solely on induction and it causes the chefs no problems at all.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2019, 08:44 PM
If you go with induction and need to replace pans etc with induction compatible options then drop me a PM. I can get commercial quality ones at cost.

Radium
05-02-2019, 09:20 PM
We have induction and I think it is good.

Heats/ cooks well and cleans easily.

We did need to get a separate cable to the fuse box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
06-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Induction all the way. best alternative to cooking with gas.

Jones28
06-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Just out of interest, why the change from gas?

alhibby
06-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Just out of interest, why the change from gas?

No real reason, wife just fancies a change, have to say though Gas hasn't been a problem in all the years used

alhibby
06-02-2019, 03:18 PM
If you go with induction and need to replace pans etc with induction compatible options then drop me a PM. I can get commercial quality ones at cost.

Many thanks for the offer, might just take you up on it :agree:

beensaidbefore
06-02-2019, 05:37 PM
No real reason, wife just fancies a change, have to say though Gas hasn't been a problem in all the years used

One thing to consider. If there is ever a power cut, with a gas cooker you can still eat and boil water for a cuppa etc. Chance of it happening is probably very slim though! Happened years ago at my grans and never happened again since so maybe you don't need to really worry about it! 😂

Just Alf
06-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Just out of interest, why the change from gas?Economy is, for me at least, is a biggie....

Put both hobs on full power in two different kitchens, close the doors go away and have a cuppa.

Come back later and pop your head into both kitchens... One will be nice and toasty with the "wasted" heat, the other will be like its all switched off... Induction all the way :-)

Unless you're worried your boiler might breakdown and want another source of heat! :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rocky
06-02-2019, 11:37 PM
Economy is, for me at least, is a biggie....

Put both hobs on full power in two different kitchens, close the doors go away and have a cuppa.

Come back later and pop your head into both kitchens... One will be nice and toasty with the "wasted" heat, the other will be like its all switched off... Induction all the way :-)

Unless you're worried your boiler might breakdown and want another source of heat! :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not sure that example quite works as traditionally you put a pan on a hob to absorb the heat rather than using it to heat your kitchen!

Induction is about twice as efficient at transferring energy to your food (about 85% compared to 45-50%) but then electricity is three times the price of gas per kWh, so from an energy cost perspective it costs more.