PDA

View Full Version : Golf 2019

Tornadoes70
09-01-2019, 04:02 PM
PGA Sony Open in Hawaii starts tomorrow. Big field and lots of potential winners. A smallish number of top players, large number of tour journeymen and some no hopers mixed into this one. Good luck to anyone else having a bet and for throughout the rest of 2019.

Golden Bear
10-01-2019, 03:59 PM
PGA Sony Open in Hawaii starts tomorrow. Big field and lots of potential winners. A smallish number of top players, large number of tour journeymen and some no hopers mixed into this one. Good luck to anyone else having a bet and for throughout the rest of 2019.

Its a pity so many of the early season tournaments are played in the middle of the night as far as we are concerned. I always look forward to the Florida swing as it features some great golf courses and therefore attracts the top players.

Its interesting that due to the revised PGA Schedule for 2019, the Open Championship in July will be the last Major of the season.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

Tornadoes70
10-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Its a pity so many of the early season tournaments are played in the middle of the night as far as we are concerned. I always look forward to the Florida swing as it features some great golf courses and therefore attracts the top players.

Its interesting that due to the revised PGA Schedule for 2019, the Open Championship in July will be the last Major of the season.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

It is pity. Some brilliant varied courses there. However, when I've had bets on golfers with a good chance of winning going into the weekend's final two days play I've stayed up until the very early hours to continue watching :greengrin.

The PGA being switched to its new earlier slot does leave a long time in between majors after the Open in July but makes for great viewing from April through to July.

Going to be another very interesting year in the fantastic world of golf methinks.

Tornadoes70
17-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Big Phil cards an almost unbelievable -12 under first round of '60' at the Desert Classic in California. The old saying is that you can't win a tournament in the first round but you can lose it might just be overturned here. If Phil even shoots modest scores in the next ones he's still in with a great shout. Very interesting to see how it pans out over the next few days. Not on big Phil bet wise but got to hand it to the almost now veteran golfing legend for his efforts today, terrific golf.

Golden Bear
19-01-2019, 08:31 AM
I'm planning an easy day today. I'll watch the last round of the European Golf from Abu Dhabi this morning before heading to ER this afternoon.

Can't be bad.

:thumbsup:

Tornadoes70
21-01-2019, 01:48 AM
I'm planning an easy day today. I'll watch the last round of the European Golf from Abu Dhabi this morning before heading to ER this afternoon.

Can't be bad.

The Pga desert classic was eventually won by Adam Long after a final round fight to the wire involving also Big Phil and Adam Hadwin. Terrific golf. I lost a bit on Big Phil but hey ho that's the way golf is.

Some brilliant golf played and well done to Long who was very probably a big priced outsider prior to the start of this one.

Roll on next week.

Smartie
23-01-2019, 12:43 PM
The Pga desert classic was eventually won by Adam Long after a final round fight to the wire involving also Big Phil and Adam Hadwin. Terrific golf. I lost a bit on Big Phil but hey ho that's the way golf is.

Some brilliant golf played and well done to Long who was very probably a big priced outsider prior to the start of this one.

Roll on next week.

I lost a fair whack on Phil, so I'm going to sit it out for a while.

Long was outstanding up the stretch.

Golf's a funny game - you have players like that who find a bit of form from nowhere and really look the part yet just disappear at other times.

Tornadoes70
23-01-2019, 03:57 PM
I lost a fair whack on Phil, so I'm going to sit it out for a while.

Long was outstanding up the stretch.

Golf's a funny game - you have players like that who find a bit of form from nowhere and really look the part yet just disappear at other times.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I too put a fair whack on after the first round at 100/30. Its incredibly frustrating when someone like Long suddenly plays like a top ten in the world player instead of the World number 417 that he was to pip Big Phil.

I'll be having a small bet on the Dubai Classic and a larger one on the Farmers Insurance this week but sticking strictly to my pre tournament bets no matter if they don't make the cut. I'm cutting down on betting on the European tour as I'm very rarely lucky on that one compared to the PGA.

Smartie
23-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear that mate.

I too put a fair whack on after the first round at 100/30. Its incredibly frustrating when someone like Long suddenly plays like a top ten in the world player instead of the World number 417 that he was to pip Big Phil.

I'll be having a small bet on the Dubai Classic and a larger one on the Farmers Insurance this week but sticking strictly to my pre tournament bets no matter if they don't make the cut. I'm cutting down on betting on the European tour as I'm very rarely lucky on that one compared to the PGA.

This is normally a time of year that I like on the PGA tour. You quite often get a low-odds winner, a big gun against a weaker field and I thought that was what was happening with Phil last week.

Occasionally though you do get someone who shows a bit of form and emerges from the pack, and you can get an idea who you fancy for the majors later on in the year.

I find the European Tour much harder to call at this time of year, normally only really getting interested in that around the time when the Open is out of the way later in the year.

Tornadoes70
24-01-2019, 11:02 PM
This is normally a time of year that I like on the PGA tour. You quite often get a low-odds winner, a big gun against a weaker field and I thought that was what was happening with Phil last week.

Occasionally though you do get someone who shows a bit of form and emerges from the pack, and you can get an idea who you fancy for the majors later on in the year.

I find the European Tour much harder to call at this time of year, normally only really getting interested in that around the time when the Open is out of the way later in the year.

Extremely competitive Dubai Classic first round with any number putting themselves into good position. Very difficult to forecast the winner of this one. I suspect there might be a change of leaders several times over at least the next couple of rounds.

The Pga Farmers has thrown up some very low scoring with Rahm carrying forward his terrific form shooting a 10 under round of 62. Will take some stopping if continuing on like that, however, Rose and a few others are not too far off. Interesting to see what unfolds tomorrow in this one.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 08:23 PM
I'm not enjoying watching the Pros putting with the flag in.

It's weird.

Smartie
27-01-2019, 08:30 PM

It's weird.

Have you seen anyone drop the ball at knee height yet?

Golden Bear
27-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Have you seen anyone drop the ball at knee height yet?

Yip, I saw Xander Schauffele take a drop in the opening round of this latest tournament. He seemed unsure of the correct procedure and called a referee in to reassure him that he wouldn't be abusing the new rule.

Tornadoes70
27-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Bit of an anti climax this weekend due to Rose and Dechambeau winning without serious challenges emerging and they both won comfortably enough in the end up. Got to hand it to them both though as they played some great golf.

Roll on next week.

Pete
28-01-2019, 12:03 AM

It's weird.

That’s just wrong.

Tornadoes70
29-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Thursday's beginning of the Saudi Open has both of last weeks competition winners lining up against one another in Justin Rose and Bryson Dechambeau. They're joint ante post favourites, however, also competing is the likes of Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson, Patrick Reed, good solid players like Matt Wallace, Luiten, Pieters and Li etc who're all very capable, along with a plethora of extremely variable form tour journeymen who are all capable of appearing at the top middle or bottom end of leader-boards depending on very good, average or very bad rounds. All of which makes for what should be a cracking competition.

The Phoenix Open looks quite wide open as well, however, if Rahm continues his sparkling form of late he could come out on top albeit with Justin Thomas, Xander Schauffele, Tony Finau, Daniel Berger, Andrew Putnam, Billy Horschel and Gary Woodland etc entered he could find himself in a battle to win this one.

Looking forward to them both as per although the Saudi Open has the look of a brilliant contest and could be the one to watch.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Tornadoes70
23-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Paul Casey and Dustin Johnson are set for a battle tomorrow in the Valspar Championship.

I used to bet Casey every time and won a load off him winning this one last year. I didn't think he'd retain it and my closest challenger betting wise is Sunjae Im who had a very average round today and looks unlikely to win but you never know.

Big Dustin would be my pick to win now but Casey has played very well the last three rounds and it could very well go down to the wire.

The European tour story has been about Thomas Pieters total collapse when looking likely to mount a strong challenge. Elvira's leading and my pick Kieffer still has a shout albeit three shots back.

Been great watching so far.

Smartie
24-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Tough course and tough conditions tonight.

Casey will take strength from having won here before but pars are looking valuable today.

Gripping stuff up to now, and everything to play for.

greenlex
24-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Tough course and tough conditions tonight.

Casey will take strength from having won here before but pars are looking valuable today.

Gripping stuff up to now, and everything to play for. tough conditions??? Should have tried Gullane 1 today😂😂😂😂

Smartie
24-03-2019, 09:05 PM
tough conditions??? Should have tried Gullane 1 today😂😂😂😂

All relative mate, the wind over there and the state of some of the greens......

Although I know all about what a wild day at Gullane can mean.

greenlex
24-03-2019, 09:15 PM
Casey deserved that. Ground it out.

Smartie
24-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Casey deserved that. Ground it out.

It was all about the grinding.

A good, stern test. I hate it when it gets "silly US Open" difficult but I also lose a bit of interest when the big hitting Americans thump the ball all over the place and get record low scores.

greenlex
24-03-2019, 09:53 PM
All relative mate, the wind over there and the state of some of the greens......

Although I know all about what a wild day at Gullane can mean.

I hit my six iron 90 yards today.😂😂😂.I was trying to hit it 120. Also hit my rescue club 260 for a bit of balance.😂😂😂😂

Smartie
27-03-2019, 08:37 AM
WGC matchplay this week.

Paddypower are paying out e/w on 8 places, so if your player reaches the quarter finals you get a return (unless I'm picking something up wrong).

I've gone for a few long odds outsiders here - Matt Wallace (80/1) and Eddie Pepperell(100/1) have both made decent starts over in the USA this year, and I've taken Keith Mitchell (100/1) and Abraham Ancer (125/1) as well.

Leaves me with a wee bit of my budget to go in in-play at the weekend.

theonlywayisup
30-03-2019, 07:23 AM
WGC matchplay this week.

Paddypower are paying out e/w on 8 places, so if your player reaches the quarter finals you get a return (unless I'm picking something up wrong).

I've gone for a few long odds outsiders here - Matt Wallace (80/1) and Eddie Pepperell(100/1) have both made decent starts over in the USA this year, and I've taken Keith Mitchell (100/1) and Abraham Ancer (125/1) as well.

Leaves me with a wee bit of my budget to go in in-play at the weekend.

Well that went well!!

Last sixteen matches below. Some interesting matches.

B Grace (SA) v S Garcia (Spa)

M Kuchar (US) v T Hatton (Eng)

L Bjerregaard (Den) v H Stenson (Swe)

R McIlroy (NI) v T Woods (US)

J Rose (Eng) v K Na (US)

F Molinari (Ita) v P Casey (Eng)

H Li (Chn) v K Kisner (US)

M Leishman (Aus) v L Oosthuizen (SA)

Golden Bear
30-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Tiger v Rory this afternoon has the making of a classic as both players are playing well. Rory's putting has improved a lot this season which is the main reason why he's consistently on the leader boards. I'd back him to beat the Tiger.

Golden Bear
30-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Tiger 3 up after 10, Rory is putting like an eejit. Always said he was a dodgy putter. 😉

Golden Bear
30-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Tiger wins 2/1. Overall, Rory played the better golf and Tiger got out of jail a few times but there's no denying he can still play the game.

Smartie
30-03-2019, 07:03 PM
With all my outsiders out I'm going to plump for Molinari now.

Not been watching it today but following on from his Ryder cup exploits he'll cut a fairly formidable match play opponent.

Tornadoes70
30-03-2019, 08:26 PM
With all my outsiders out I'm going to plump for Molinari now.

Not been watching it today but following on from his Ryder cup exploits he'll cut a fairly formidable match play opponent.

I've only Kisner left and the way Molinari's playing it'd be no surprise whatsoever for my last man standing exit tomorrow aginst him. Mind you i thought Kis was out already in the match against Oosthuizen but came back in some style especially the shot at the 17th that was sublime. I had Garcia too but he's played terribly against Kuuuucchh and looks to have blown it.

Tiger and Berraguard's match has been a good one to watch as has most of them to be fair. Molinari looks as if he's in untouchable form though and will take some stopping.

Sunjae Im my pick for the other one has fallen behind to now near veteran status Graeme Mcdowell.

Tornadoes70
31-03-2019, 10:58 PM
Kevin Kisner :not worth

Wins what was a cracking tournament.

Smartie
01-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Kevin Kisner :not worth

Wins what was a cracking tournament.

Good work backing Kisner.

I had a bit of a nightmare over the weekend.

I'd taken Suri in-play before the final round in India - he managed to get an 8 on the 14th to take him out of contention. Good to see a Scot win though, hopefully Gallacher can kick on and have a decent season now.

After my long shots came up short I backed Molinari after that, and sunk a bit more in on him when he was 2 down with just a few to play (I got odds of 16/1) but he played the last hole horribly and lost.

Tornadoes70
01-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Good work backing Kisner.

I had a bit of a nightmare over the weekend.

I'd taken Suri in-play before the final round in India - he managed to get an 8 on the 14th to take him out of contention. Good to see a Scot win though, hopefully Gallacher can kick on and have a decent season now.

After my long shots came up short I backed Molinari after that, and sunk a bit more in on him when he was 2 down with just a few to play (I got odds of 16/1) but he played the last hole horribly and lost.

As much as I'm delighted to finally have got a return on prior to Sunday serial plodder Kisner I fully empathise with you as to the unsuccessful bets mate.

Its a lottery most of the time with the huge fields consistency/inconsistency issues and to be fair probably most folk would have backed Molinari to beat Kisner as he'd been playing brilliantly with flair whereas in contrast Kisner was almost dourly grinding his way around albeit he did play some cracking shots himself every now and then.

Didn't see the Suri one but ffs taking eight shots at a hole is nothing less than criminal for professional tour golfers and its why the game is so frustrating to bet on. However the odds are superb if able to be lucky enough to pick the winner.

In the past I've went months without any joy but like yourself I'm always happy to hear of other hi bees winning. I've been very lucky with both McIllroy and Kisner in recent weeks but am well aware I could now go until the end of the season without another win, hopefully not but it can easily happen.

Hope your luck changes mate especially for the Masters that is shaping up to be fabulous with McIllroy and Tiger both in great form with any number of other potential winners.

greenlex
03-04-2019, 10:21 PM
I’m heading down to Duns for a wee competitive knock this Saturday. Hope the weather improves.

Golden Bear
04-04-2019, 08:57 AM
I’m heading down to Duns for a wee competitive knock this Saturday. Hope the weather improves.

I think you'll quite enjoy Duns. It's usually a good "early season" course as its low lying. There are some tough holes, especially in the front nine. The second hole in particular can be a card wrecker, play it conservatively is my advice, a 5 is a very respectable score and the same can be said for the 6th hole.

I'm scheduled to play in the Medal at Dunbar on Saturday morning. I hate the Derby days at Tynie so I've decided to head for the links and face the consequences when I come in!

greenlex
04-04-2019, 01:09 PM
I think you'll quite enjoy Duns. It's usually a good "early season" course as its low lying. There are some tough holes, especially in the front nine. The second hole in particular can be a card wrecker, play it conservatively is my advice, a 5 is a very respectable score and the same can be said for the 6th hole.

I'm scheduled to play in the Medal at Dunbar on Saturday morning. I hate the Derby days at Tynie so I've decided to head for the links and face the consequences when I come in!

That’s exactly why I’m going to Duns.😂😂. Thanks for the advice.👍

IWasThere2016
10-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Played 9 holes last night.. very indifferent form. 5 4's (that's +1 gross) but 5, 6, 6 and a 7 in there also! :rolleyes:

A bust wrist, ageing and a fat belly are not conducive to good gowf! :greengrin

Onward to Saturday it is...

Pete
10-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Played 9 holes last night.. very indifferent form. 5 4's (that's +1 gross) but 5, 6, 6 and a 7 in there also! :rolleyes:

A bust wrist, ageing and a fat belly are not conducive to good gowf! :greengrin

Onward to Saturday it is...

Only recently started playing again after a long break and like yourself, there are wrist/hand issues. Need to take it easy but I’m determined to get back into it big time as there are some lovely courses and hidden gems in this part of the world.

And after some time on the range and some self analysis, I’ve finally cured my slice. Well, maybe not cured it but at least I now know what I’m doing wrong. 😁

greenlex
20-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Medal round today and thank the lord it looks like it’s getting better.😎

greenlex
21-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Playing Glasgow Gailes on Thursday. Looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
21-04-2019, 07:55 PM
I've entered the Longniddry open. Looking forward to that one.

Golden Bear
22-04-2019, 06:57 AM
I'm off to Dunbar today and been invited for a game at The Roxburghe tomorrow.

I just don't know how I cope with this retirement life, its a sair fecht!

greenlex
25-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Glasgow Gaines off the tips on a blowy day isn’t too easy. :agree:

Golden Bear
26-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Glasgow Gaines off the tips on a blowy day isn’t too easy. :agree:

Just a pitch and putt course. :greengrin

I think I'm right in saying that Killermont in Glasgow is a sister course to the Gailes - its well worth a visit.

greenlex
26-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Just a pitch and putt course. :greengrin

I think I'm right in saying that Killermont in Glasgow is a sister course to the Gailes - its well worth a visit.
Yes it is. To join Killermont you have to join Glasgow Gailes first. After a couple of years you then progress to both I think or you may get the choice of one or the other both come under the banner of The Glasgow golf club. You can’t just join Killermont.
I actually thought G.G was in poor condition. The fairways were obviously parched last summer but looked like they hadn’t recovered as they were very patchy with lots of areas with no grass at all.
There has also been **** loads of trees and gorse removed. Particularly round the turn as it comes back on itself round a loop. Greens were quick enough but I found them bumpy. (not a patch on Harburn right now after a really poor year last year). I’m glad I didn’t pay top dollar for the round.:greengrin

heretoday
16-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Have they changed the date of the PGA? I'm confused. Is it autumn already?

Smartie
16-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Have they changed the date of the PGA? I'm confused. Is it autumn already?

They've changed the calendar.

The Players (not a major) used to be played in May, it's been brought forward to March. The PGA is now played in May instead and there will be no major in August any more, but there will be one in every consecutive month from April thru July.

Not sure why this change was made.

stantonhibby
16-05-2019, 06:50 PM
They've changed the calendar.

The Players (not a major) used to be played in May, it's been brought forward to March. The PGA is now played in May instead and there will be no major in August any more, but there will be one in every consecutive month from April thru July.

Not sure why this change was made.

Something to do with avoiding a clash with opening NFL fixtures

Smartie
17-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Looks like DJ has brought his A game with him today.

BroxburnHibee
17-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Rory is a spent force in majors until he gets himself a proper caddy and listens to him.

greenlex
17-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Koepka is on another level.

Golden Bear
18-05-2019, 10:33 PM
If this was boxing, the tournament would have been stopped by now. Koepka's dominance has spoilt tomorrow night's viewing. 😰

greenlex
19-05-2019, 08:18 PM
There’s no one catching him. Not on that course.

greenlex
19-05-2019, 09:35 PM
He’s doing his best to make it interesting.

greenlex
19-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Phew!!!!

greenlex
26-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Played Lundin Links yesterday. Classic old links. Quite enjoyed it although I didn’t score. I’ll return for sure.

Golden Bear
28-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Played Lundin Links yesterday. Classic old links. Quite enjoyed it although I didn’t score. I’ll return for sure.

:agree:

Very good course which I reckon you would need to play a few times in order to become familiar with the best lines to take. A good few years ago I played in the East of Scotland Strokeplay Tournament over Lundin and although I never made "the cut" for the Sunday, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

greenlex
03-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Eldest boy won the Whitburgh Cup scratch open at Newbattle yesterday. Well chuffed.

greenlex
05-06-2019, 05:28 AM
Elgin away on the Friday night. Spey Valley Open on the Saturday sounds like the makings of a weekend road trip up north.

Golden Bear
05-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Eldest boy won the Whitburgh Cup scratch open at Newbattle yesterday. Well chuffed.

Excellent. That's a good one to win. I'll be there for their Seniors Open next month.

greenlex
06-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Excellent. That's a good one to win. I'll be there for their Seniors Open next month.

I played their duffers last month. It’s in its usual excellent nick. Enjoy.
We are off to Dundonald the end of the month. First time. Looking forward to it.

greenlex
09-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Masterclass from McIlroy this week.

greenlex
15-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Worst round in months considering conditions in club championship qualifying 1st round today. Mountain to climb tomorrow.

Golden Bear
15-06-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm watching the US Open, my cash is on Justin Rose but as I've had more than a few drams today I suspect I'll not be seeing much more of today's play.

heretoday
17-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Woodland was imperturbable and with a birdie to finish. He's not unlike his main challenger Koepka in temperament.
Golf is going through a purple patch at the moment.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Very proud of my mate, Ross.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/more-sports/lothians-golf-round-up-turnhouse-champ-battled-cancer-lothians-win-again-kenny-glen-top-of-merit-1-4950613

greenlex
20-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Very proud of my mate, Ross.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/more-sports/lothians-golf-round-up-turnhouse-champ-battled-cancer-lothians-win-again-kenny-glen-top-of-merit-1-4950613
Great read Dave.:thumbsup:

Sylar
20-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Worst round in months considering conditions in club championship qualifying 1st round today. Mountain to climb tomorrow.

I'm caddying for the old man in the final on Saturday morning :greengrin

Pete
21-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Does anyone else use the Teeofftimes/Golf now app?

Some great courses at bargain prices but it seems a bit Uberish, i.e. too good to be true. They take 20% of every sale plus £1 and the growth of apps like this can surely only lead to less paying members at clubs.

BroxburnHibee
21-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Some great courses at bargain prices but it seems a bit Uberish, i.e. too good to be true. They take 20% of every sale plus £1 and the growth of apps like this can surely only lead to less paying members at clubs.

I used it to get a game at Cardrona a few weeks back. Surely they can only sell the times the clubs allow them to?

ie. Otherwise unused times

greenlex
22-06-2019, 08:37 PM
I'm caddying for the old man in the final on Saturday morning :greengrin
Good to see you today. Some great golf in that final.👍

greenlex
22-06-2019, 08:40 PM

They get limited times at each club. It’s tied in with HowDidiDo/V1 and the brs booking systems. The companies are all linked. The clubs get cheaper install/maintenance and running costs in return. Great news for nomad golfers.

Sylar
22-06-2019, 09:07 PM
Good to see you today. Some great golf in that final.👍

And you, sir.

Suffering from the 2 rounds just now right enough - sunburn on the back of both legs, my face, and I ache from pushing a dodgy trolley around for 2 rounds (over 12 miles!).

greenlex
05-07-2019, 08:43 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jul/03/portrush-the-open-championship-orange-parade-northern-ireland-golf

What a ****ing embarrassing shambles.

IWasThere2016
10-07-2019, 01:29 PM
And you, sir.

Suffering from the 2 rounds just now right enough - sunburn on the back of both legs, my face, and I ache from pushing a dodgy trolley around for 2 rounds (over 12 miles!).

Lightweight.. my Bolton track is over 7 miles .. and hilly as!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jul/03/portrush-the-open-championship-orange-parade-northern-ireland-golf

What a ****ing embarrassing shambles.

FFS.. loathsome mob :rolleyes:

Carheenlea
10-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Paul Heckingbottom was playing in the pro/am down at The Renaissance today - wasn’t aware he was a golfer. Going by this comfortable and composed looking picture he might be a decent player?

https://i.postimg.cc/KvmYNMx7/296800-A8-244-D-4-F09-B154-5383-CABE0398.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

heretoday
11-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Paul Heckingbottom was playing in the pro/am down at The Renaissance today - wasn’t aware he was a golfer. Going by this comfortable and composed looking picture he might be a decent player?

https://i.postimg.cc/KvmYNMx7/296800-A8-244-D-4-F09-B154-5383-CABE0398.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

He looks like a golfer right enough.

Golden Bear
11-07-2019, 08:20 AM
He looks like a golfer right enough.

Yip. Its ages since I was able to finish my golf swing in that position.

:greengrin

Carheenlea
11-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Won the longest drive prize in pro am :top marks

Dalianwanda
12-07-2019, 07:44 AM
My dads down there stewarding this week at the Royal Musselburgh designated hole.

Carheenlea
12-07-2019, 08:49 AM
The Renaissance is kind of getting ripped apart. I suppose it’s what the players who are in The Open like the week before - not too challenging and and a chance to card a few birdies to get the confidence going. Can remember them complaining about how tough Royal Aberdeen was a few years back and how it was a severe a test before the Open.

ACLeith
12-07-2019, 06:49 PM
The Renaissance is kind of getting ripped apart. I suppose it’s what the players who are in The Open like the week before - not too challenging and and a chance to card a few birdies to get the confidence going. Can remember them complaining about how tough Royal Aberdeen was a few years back and how it was a severe a test before the Open.
Was there today. A very confusing layout for spectators. Not a links course so no real prep for the Open. The type if place that kowtows to the caricature of golf - exclusively for the ultra wealthy that won't let ordinary players sully the course. Gullane last year a much better venue.

Golden Bear
12-07-2019, 08:09 PM
I intended to go yesterday but the Met Office weather forecast put me off and I guess thousands of others. The tournament organisers would not be best pleased and who can blame them.

Tornadoes70
14-07-2019, 11:27 PM
Dylan Frittelli. Turned my loss making weekend into a money making one. Well done Dylan!

Lovely jubbly.

greenlex
28-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Really looking forward to tonight’s WGC final round from Memphis. McIlroy and Koepka going head to head and some decent players tucked in behind. If McIlroy plays like he did yesterday he’s untouchable.

Golden Bear
28-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Really looking forward to tonight’s WGC final round from Memphis. McIlroy and Koepka going head to head and some decent players tucked in behind. If McIlroy plays like he did yesterday he’s untouchable.

Rory struggling so far but its early days. He seems to be tugging his shots left.

Smartie
28-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Rory struggling so far but its early days. He seems to be tugging his shots left.

His driving has been immense, but there's something not right with his approach play.

He's only a couple behind so if he makes a tweak he's not far off, but Koepka looks like he's cruising right now.

greenlex
28-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Koepka in cruise control.

Golden Bear
28-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Koepka in cruise control.

Yip, by his standards his putting was poor last week otherwise he'd have been right in there.

greenlex
28-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Yip, by his standards his putting was poor last week otherwise he'd have been right in there.
As an aside. I played Crieff today for the first time. Nice course. At 6500ish yards not too easy but fairly enjoyable. Definitely worth a visit and I shall return.

Carheenlea
22-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Played Peterhead and Cruden Bay last weekend - two excellent courses within 6 miles or so of each other. Peterhead is the less well known of the two, but the course is well worth a visit and such a shame that visitors travel from all over the world to play Cruden Bay but don’t bother with a course that is the 18th oldest in the world. The first two or three holes are weak admittedly, but after that you’re into proper linksland and a testing layout. We played in their Opens - £20 for Peterhead and £40 for Cruden Bay so was a great way to play them.
To put visitor income into perspective for most clubs, this chart on the wall at Cruden Bay shows the homes around the world of some of the visitors to the club in 2019 alone..

https://i.postimg.cc/FRGrzdH4/93-FB9-C6-C-2240-474-A-ADB1-77982-D840-BEE.jpg (https://postimg.cc/r00XYp4n)

Smartie
22-08-2019, 03:26 PM
I was sad to see this story in the news the other day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-49408565

I played this course a few times when I was a student up in Dundee and really liked it.

You hear about golf clubs being under pressure and that some private clubs have had to close, but I must admit I was surprised to hear this. I had always thought it was a well used facility.

Golden Bear
24-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Ratho Park last Monday, Royal Musselburgh last Tuesday, Dunbar yesterday, The Roxburghe this coming Monday, Baberton on Tuesday, Dunbar on Wednesday.

Jeez, I'm finding this retired life tough.

:greengrin

Golden Bear
24-08-2019, 09:32 AM
I was sad to see this story in the news the other day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-49408565

I played this course a few times when I was a student up in Dundee and really liked it.

You hear about golf clubs being under pressure and that some private clubs have had to close, but I must admit I was surprised to hear this. I had always thought it was a well used facility.

I think there are also 3 public courses in Glasgow currently under the threat of closure plus Mount Ellen which was also forced to close very recently. I don't think anyone has the answer to halt the apparent decline in membership numbers but its a huge concern. I can see that the bigger Clubs will continue to flourish (eg the Links courses in East Lothian will be fine I and will be helped by the huge numbers of new housing in the area.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have seen the last of the smaller inland courses going under.

Dalianwanda
24-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Coming over to play Archerfield next weekend - breakfast, goodie bags, round of golf & two course dinner for 90quid! Hope the weathers a bit better back home than it is here.

Carheenlea
29-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Scottish Open confirmed as returning to The Renaissance for 2020. Look forward to having a big event like this on our doorstep again, but I wonder what impact the JP McManus Pro Am at Adare Manor on the Monday and Tuesday of the week of the Scottish Open will have on the quality of the entry? A lot of big names already confirmed for JP’s event, and some might decide to hop over and play The Scottish while they are here before heading down to Royal St George’s, but it could also have the opposite effect with some maybe skipping our own open.

southfieldhibby
29-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Renaissance is a poor venue for The Scottish Open in my opinion. Doesn't flow as well as Gullane or any of the other previous venues. Issue is Aberdeen Standard want somewhere close to Edinburgh for corporate reasons, the members at Gullane quite rightly don't want to give up their course every year for both the mens and womans events, Archerfield don't want to host it, North Berwick don't have the land for the infrastructure, and other East Lothian venues aren't up to standard.

A rota on non-open courses all over scotland would be great, but the main sponsor can't wine and dine as easily.

ACLeith
29-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Scottish Open confirmed as returning to The Renaissance for 2020. Look forward to having a big event like this on our doorstep again, but I wonder what impact the JP McManus Pro Am at Adare Manor on the Monday and Tuesday of the week of the Scottish Open will have on the quality of the entry? A lot of big names already confirmed for JP’s event, and some might decide to hop over and play The Scottish while they are here before heading down to Royal St George’s, but it could also have the opposite effect with some maybe skipping our own open.
If loads of Yanks want an event that gives practice on a links course then I can see them giving it a miss next year. But I'm biased as places like this are exactly what we DON'T need if we are wanting to promote golf as a game for everyone- rant over

BroxburnHibee
29-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Renaissance was terrible for spectating.

BroxburnHibee
06-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Letham Grange to close.

No doubt more to come.

Golden Bear
06-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Letham Grange to close.

No doubt more to come.

Yip, I know of a couple of Clubs who are "on the brink."

Carheenlea
07-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Letham Grange to close.

No doubt more to come.

Played Letham Grange a long time ago, but it’s a Club that has seemed to have had financial trouble from pretty much day one. Hotel and club been separated and a few different owners and wrangles despite having a steady enough membership in recent years, but not enough for it to survive. A shame to see.

greenlex
07-09-2019, 08:14 PM
I see Bob McIntyre has a good Hibby on the bag this week. 😀👍

hibeg
08-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Good gig for his coach this week, especially if Bob wins. I have been so impressed every time I have seen him play. Old head on young shoulders.
I thought he was unlucky shooting a 74 yesterday and hope he can go out and win his first title today. He has the guts and nerve, that is for sure.

Hibbyradge
08-09-2019, 11:19 PM

Who's that, Alex?

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2020, 07:14 PM
At last, some proper sport on Sky. Good challenge in this skins game, all for a good cause with some very good golf being played on a course we've never seen before. :thumbsup:

Jim44
17-05-2020, 11:10 PM
At last, some proper sport on Sky. Good challenge in this skins game, all for a good cause with some very good golf being played on a course we've never seen before. :thumbsup:

:agree:Marred by an interview with Trump who took the chance to give a mini party broadcast saying how well he had done recently. Unless I misheard, he said that he had done so many million tests for Covid19 where Obama’s administration had done none.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
19-05-2020, 02:28 PM
:agree:Marred by an interview with Trump who took the chance to give a mini party broadcast saying how well he had done recently. Unless I misheard, he said that he had done so many million tests for Covid19 where Obama’s administration had done none.:confused:

Aye, i heard him spouting his crap over the telephone. I tend to listen now to him, just for the bull**** he's going to come out with.

It's got to the stage now, that if he promised to give everyone in the world a thousand pounds and actually delivered on it, i'd still think he was doing something wrong. :greengrin

Anyway, some very good golf, and Mathew Wolff has the strangest swing i've seen, you think he's going for a dance before he hits the ball.:greengrin

brythehibby
17-09-2020, 08:21 AM
A few keen golfers were discussing the possibility of rekindling the Hibs.net golf day. I've said I could try and organise something for the 25th of October. Course is free I think and Hibs play the saturday. If anyone would be keen get in touch :aok:

Speedy
27-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Any advice on how to get into it as a bit of an outsider? Club membership seems expensive and a bit daunting for a hacker like myself. Are there any that are a bit more budget/beginner friendly?

I'm on West side of town (not far away from Carrick Knowe), is Edinburgh Leisure the best bet for value / choice / locality (£460)?

Edit: Also saw the £100 short game membership at Braids, is that any good? https://www.braidhillsgolf.co.uk/ShortGameArea.asp

Or better sticking to driving range & Bruntsfield pitch and putt to start with

Smartie
28-09-2020, 08:16 AM
Lots of driving range to begin with certainly helps but there's nothing like hitting a course to put it all together.

Club membership straight away would be quite expensive, especially when you're new and don't know how much you might play so I would just pay as you go for rounds to begin with. The Edinburgh Leisure courses are excellent, good value and you have the choice of a good few. I quite like a twilight golf offer if you're looking for a fancier course for a good price. I find that if you take a twilight golf offer it's normally because courses are quieter later in the day, and under those circumstances you can do stuff like drop 3 or 4 balls 100 yards from the green and practice hitting a few in under much less pressure than when playing on a busy course with people all booked onto it back to back. Likewise you can drop a few in a bunker to get a feel for hitting out of those, chip out of various sorts of rough/ fringe/fairway towards a green to get the hang of that. This isn't always as easy on the Edinburgh leisure courses (which are quite busy and popular) but it's a brilliant way to hone your game.

Speak to mates who are members in places - they'll often get decent offers to sign players onto courses, so that lets you try other places at a good price.

I've also taken out stuff like the Open Fairways scheme in the past - they give you good 2 for 1, 4 for 2 offers etc but you need a buddy who will join you. Always good to effectively save you half of your green fees though.

Good luck and have fun.

RitchieHibs
28-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Any advice on how to get into it as a bit of an outsider? Club membership seems expensive and a bit daunting for a hacker like myself. Are there any that are a bit more budget/beginner friendly?

I'm on West side of town (not far away from Carrick Knowe), is Edinburgh Leisure the best bet for value / choice / locality (£460)?

Edit: Also saw the £100 short game membership at Braids, is that any good? https://www.braidhillsgolf.co.uk/ShortGameArea.asp

Or better sticking to driving range & Bruntsfield pitch and putt to start with

When I started out I paid for lessons with a PGA qualified instructor at 50 pounds a pop. Set me up with the basics and it was great to learn from someone who knows how to work with beginners. Since then as Smartie says, plenty of range time and hours upon hours of watching online coaching videos. Some really good videos on youtube.

I would recommend having a few lessons from an instructor first and foremost. The guy at Melville Golf range does half hour and/or an hour at average prices. He wasn't my instructor but I've seen him coaching folk, seems a decent guy to boot.

RitchieHibs
29-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Scottish Open this week. Down in North Berwick. A beautiful neck of the woods. Pity no spectators or I'd have tried to get tickets. Plenty of contenders. Looks like its hard to call a winner with it being a competitive field.

Speedy
29-09-2020, 05:55 PM
Cheers guys

Godsahibby
30-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Scottish Open this week. Down in North Berwick. A beautiful neck of the woods. Pity no spectators or I'd have tried to get tickets. Plenty of contenders. Looks like its hard to call a winner with it being a competitive field.

With a Hibby in the field i know where my money is going! :flag::flag:

Smartie
30-09-2020, 02:16 PM
With a Hibby in the field i know where my money is going! :flag::flag:

Who is that?

Godsahibby
30-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Who is that?

Neil Fenwick. Season ticket holder in the East. Don’t let the 750/1 odds out you off!

Smartie
30-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Neil Fenwick. Season ticket holder in the East. Don’t let the 750/1 odds out you off!

Good stuff - cheers!

I wondered if we were going with the tenuous Andrea Pavan one - he once played in a pro am with Hecky, who apparently did a great job of selling the club to him (might even have been around his tournament last summer).

RitchieHibs
30-09-2020, 06:51 PM

:aok:

I'll keep an eye out for his progress or not as the odds suggest but you never know. Hope he at least makes the cut.

Nice one.

ACLeith
01-10-2020, 04:06 PM

I'll keep an eye out for his progress or not as the odds suggest but you never know. Hope he at least makes the cut.

Nice one.
9 over today. Will need a miracle to make the cut but will be a great experience for him.

RitchieHibs
01-10-2020, 07:17 PM
9 over today. Will need a miracle to make the cut but will be a great experience for him.

Same score as Richie Ramsay who on his day is a competitor. I think Neil had the worst of the conditions early on. The later ones found it slightly easier. As you say he'll very likely have a great time anyhow.

ACLeith
03-10-2020, 12:29 PM
He finished on +5 so did massively better in round 2. I reckon that would have been a 67.

Golden Bear
03-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Looks absolutely dreich down at Renaissance today. It's a day for feet up in front of the box with a comforting dram in front of me.

🥃😁

Smartie
03-10-2020, 01:52 PM
Looks absolutely dreich down at Renaissance today. It's a day for feet up in front of the box with a comforting dram in front of me.

🥃😁

This is a great watch.

I like it when tournaments have a variety of different conditions.

They've had a couple of easier days, let's see who can cope with some proper Scottish weather.

hibeg
03-10-2020, 05:33 PM
Hopefully Robert McIntyre can come through to win his first tour event. 5 back but he has the game. Suspect it may be Tommy Fleetwood though. Brilliant round in the conditions

Just_Jimmy
03-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Hopefully Robert McIntyre can come through to win his first tour event. 5 back but he has the game. Suspect it may be Tommy Fleetwood though. Brilliant round in the conditionsconsidering how bad his first day was Fleetwood has played well.

Westwood would do for me but I'm a big poulter fan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

hibeg
05-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Can’t believe Tommy missed those 2 putts on 16 and the playoff. Usually bread and butter for him. Good to see Marc Warren returning to some form.
Congrats to Rai, great play on the final day. I was hoping McIntyre would have produced that !

RitchieHibs
05-10-2020, 01:46 PM
Can’t believe Tommy missed those 2 putts on 16 and the playoff. Usually bread and butter for him. Good to see Marc Warren returning to some form.
Congrats to Rai, great play on the final day. I was hoping McIntyre would have produced that !

He nearly won the Irish Open last week too. John Catlin played a blinding final round to win by two shots.

BroxburnHibee
05-10-2020, 01:58 PM

That 2nd putt looked decidedly dodgy to me. No way he would miss the hole from there.

Golden Bear
05-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Robert Rock thought himself out of that tournament.

He did far too much faffing about with the wee elementary shot he had from the edge of the 18th green . It looked like a fairly simple roll up to the hole with the putter from where I was sitting in my comfy chair (glass in hand of course:greengrin)

Speedy
11-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Lots of driving range to begin with certainly helps but there's nothing like hitting a course to put it all together.

Club membership straight away would be quite expensive, especially when you're new and don't know how much you might play so I would just pay as you go for rounds to begin with. The Edinburgh Leisure courses are excellent, good value and you have the choice of a good few. I quite like a twilight golf offer if you're looking for a fancier course for a good price. I find that if you take a twilight golf offer it's normally because courses are quieter later in the day, and under those circumstances you can do stuff like drop 3 or 4 balls 100 yards from the green and practice hitting a few in under much less pressure than when playing on a busy course with people all booked onto it back to back. Likewise you can drop a few in a bunker to get a feel for hitting out of those, chip out of various sorts of rough/ fringe/fairway towards a green to get the hang of that. This isn't always as easy on the Edinburgh leisure courses (which are quite busy and popular) but it's a brilliant way to hone your game.

Speak to mates who are members in places - they'll often get decent offers to sign players onto courses, so that lets you try other places at a good price.

I've also taken out stuff like the Open Fairways scheme in the past - they give you good 2 for 1, 4 for 2 offers etc but you need a buddy who will join you. Always good to effectively save you half of your green fees though.

Good luck and have fun.

Signed up to a winter membership at edinburgh leisure. Just over 20 quid a month which isn't bad at all.

Was really busy today which was a bit daunting, and it was slow ahead of me so felt a bit rushed. Think your advice to get a later time is definitely worth taking on board.

hibeg
08-11-2020, 08:00 AM
Final round of Cyprus showdown today. One round shootout, great format.
Aggressive golf needed from the off
I’m backing McIntyre to win his first event on tour

ErinGoBraghHFC
08-11-2020, 11:47 AM
Final round of Cyprus showdown today. One round shootout, great format.
Aggressive golf needed from the off
I’m backing McIntyre to win his first event on tour

Also backed McIntyre at 9/1 this morning, been impressed with him all weekend. Very aggressive especially today. Love the format as well, the more players in contention the better imo

hibeg
08-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Also backed McIntyre at 9/1 this morning, been impressed with him all weekend. Very aggressive especially today. Love the format as well, the more players in contention the better imo
Easy money mate 👍
He was great last week as well when finishing third. Delighted for him. The lad is going to be a top player
Hopefully Grant Forrest, Connor Syme etc will be the next Scots to step up and win

ACLeith
08-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Easy money mate 👍
He was great last week as well when finishing third. Delighted for him. The lad is going to be a top player
Hopefully Grant Forrest, Connor Syme etc will be the next Scots to step up and win
Great to see a new generation start to appear. Been too long a gap. Thought Bradley Neil would get there though he does have time on his side - see Justin Rose’s pro career

AugustaHibs
10-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Can anyone see past Bryson this weekend? I seen an article about his practice round with Sandy Lyle. Guy overshot the 3rd hole 350 yards with a 3 wood..

Jim44
04-12-2020, 05:38 PM
For those who follow golf, there’s a young guy, Craig Howie, from Peebles on the Challenge Tour, who has been doing well in the last few months with invites to some main tour events. He’s presently playing in the Golf In Dubai Championship. He was in second place at one point but after five birdies and three bogies in a row, has fallen down the field a wee bit.

Scottie
06-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Sad news this morning that golf commentator Peter Alliss has passed away at 89. Only covered the Masters a couple of weeks ago for the BBC. Enjoyed his quick witted sense of humour and will be sorely missed by the majority of golf fans. RIP Peter.

hibeg
07-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Is there any info out there to confirm how many of the top 60 are not playing in the championship finals this week ?
Some commentators think might be as high as 12. I have looked at the current top 60 and can’t see how this number of players would not turn up for a potentially massive pay day.

It seems ridiculous that Collin Marikowa is playing. He has never played one round in Europe in his career but because he won the PGA championship he can now win our Order Of Merit title.

Meanwhile 3 Scots are in the low 60s in the rankings ( Forrest, Syme and Jameson ) and are waiting to hear if some Yanks will turn up or not in Dubai.

HibernianJK
07-12-2020, 09:15 PM
Is there any info out there to confirm how many of the top 60 are not playing in the championship finals this week ?
Some commentators think might be as high as 12. I have looked at the current top 60 and can’t see how this number of players would not turn up for a potentially massive pay day.

It seems ridiculous that Collin Marikowa is playing. He has never played one round in Europe in his career but because he won the PGA championship he can now win our Order Of Merit title.

Meanwhile 3 Scots are in the low 60s in the rankings ( Forrest, Syme and Jameson ) and are waiting to hear if some Yanks will turn up or not in Dubai.

I’ve often thought this. Not sure how the point system works but it seems the European Tour over inflates the majors and WGC events to tempt the American/PGA tour players over for the end of season events should they win one.

hibeg
08-12-2020, 08:48 AM
So i have just seen the entry list. 11 players from the original top 60 not competing, including defending champion Jon Rahm, Rory, Shane Lowry and Paul Casey. So much for supporting your tour !!!

Field has now been expanded to 65 players so Joost Luiten gets in along with 4 players currently in the top 75 in the World Rankings.

Looks like the organisers just make it up as they go along :confused::confused:

Good to see 5 Scots taking part though

hibeg
12-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Bob McIntyre right in the hunt again to win. First prize is 3 million dollars :aok: