08-11-2018, 03:46 PM
:not worth

oldbutdim
08-11-2018, 03:52 PM
:not worth

:confused:

Elephant Stone
08-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Labour MSP James Kelly asked Ms Sturgeon whether she would join him in condemning "anti-Catholic bigotry and anti-Irish racism", and called for the government to take urgent action against these "unacceptable attitudes".
The First Minister replied: "I saw some of Neil Lennon's press conference and thought he conducted himself with great dignity.

Nobody should have to suffer the abuse and the attacks that he has had to suffer.
"I unequivocally condemn anti-Catholic bigotry, anti-Irish racism, I condemn sectarianism in any shape or form and this government will continue to take the action we need to take to ensure that Scotland is a country that demonstrates zero tolerance of any of that kind of bigotry.
"Whatever your footballing loyalties, or whether you don't have any footballing loyalties, that kind of conduct has no place in modern Scotland and all of us must unite to make that absolutely crystal clear."

Weegreenman
08-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Labour MSP James Kelly asked Ms Sturgeon whether she would join him in condemning "anti-Catholic bigotry and anti-Irish racism", and called for the government to take urgent action against these "unacceptable attitudes".
The First Minister replied: "I saw some of Neil Lennon's press conference and thought he conducted himself with great dignity.

Nobody should have to suffer the abuse and the attacks that he has had to suffer.
"I unequivocally condemn anti-Catholic bigotry, anti-Irish racism, I condemn sectarianism in any shape or form and this government will continue to take the action we need to take to ensure that Scotland is a country that demonstrates zero tolerance of any of that kind of bigotry.
"Whatever your footballing loyalties, or whether you don't have any footballing loyalties, that kind of conduct has no place in modern Scotland and all of us must unite to make that absolutely crystal clear."

So will they take any any type of measures to stop this from happening again? Or is it just more rhetoric?

tamig
08-11-2018, 04:11 PM
So will they take any any type of measures to stop this from happening again? Or is it just more rhetoric?

Was just going to say the same. Its a pretty bold statement but what have the Scottish Government done about it to date?

GloryGlory
08-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Is that the James Kelly that campaigned for the abolition
of the OBFA?

CathroMustStay
08-11-2018, 04:28 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-46144560/nicola-sturgeon-speaks-about-abuse-of-neil-lennon

Since90+2
08-11-2018, 04:35 PM

There are already laws in place to take action , it's the Police who need to act on it.

California-Hibs
08-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Well said Nicola! No one deserves to get the grief Neil Lennon does.

ancient hibee
08-11-2018, 04:37 PM

So what action are they going to “continue to take”?

Not In The Know
08-11-2018, 04:39 PM

So Nicola has a hibstv subscription ;-)

JimBHibees
08-11-2018, 04:39 PM
of the OBFA?

Pretty sure it is, oh the irony.

JimBHibees
08-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Maybe her hubby does who I think is a Hibby.

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Heartening to hear that response from the First Mininster.

Maybe Hibs should issue a similar statement in support of our Manager?

Elephant Stone
08-11-2018, 05:27 PM

I reckon it's really poor that they haven't.

hibbysam
08-11-2018, 05:28 PM

It’s not ironic at all. That bill didn’t do anything to stop sectarianism. ‘Offensive’ behaviour could be anything and found people getting arrested for standing up and shouting ‘**** off’ to a player. There are already powers there to deal with sectarianism that are not used.

Keith_M
08-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Well said, now let's see some action

Maybe they could introduce a law targetting sectarianism, and other unnaceptable behaviour, at football matches.

Oh wait, they already did, and everybody criticised it endlessly...especially the Labour Party

danhibees1875
08-11-2018, 05:37 PM
"Continue" to take action.

Same as the radio adverts a few months ago about there being no place in Scotland for Secteranism etc, just empty rhetoric at the moment as far as I can see. :dunno:

Bostonhibby
08-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Eureka. Right Nicola, words sorted. Deeds next?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

hibbydog
08-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Exactly. Talk is cheap. Action sorts stuff out.

I’d have a bit more respect if she called out the SFA for silently condoning years and years of bigotry and doing next to nothing.

Very disappointing, empty statements from a well respected leader. No actual specific proposals for what they’re going to do about it.

It’ll end up with nothing happening. Yet again.

silverhibee
08-11-2018, 05:54 PM

The lass is not daft, speak out about it then sweep sweep sweep it all away, she isn't going to get into things like wee eck said, " we will eradicate this from Scottish football " :rolleyes:

Would seem that Lennon isn't going to drop this until some kind of action is taken, Leeann Dempster really needs to back the manager on the matter and call out the authorities to do something about it.

Bostonhibby
08-11-2018, 05:57 PM
The lass is not daft, speak out about it then sweep sweep sweep it all away, she isn't going to get into things like wee eck said, " we will eradicate this from Scottish football " :rolleyes:

Would seem that Lennon isn't going to drop this until some kind of action is taken, Leeann Dempster really needs to back the manager on the matter and call out the authorities to do something about it.You get what you vote for [emoji6]

Bostonhibby
08-11-2018, 05:58 PM

I’d have a bit more respect if she called out the SFA for silently condoning years and years of bigotry and doing next to nothing.

Very disappointing, empty statements from a well respected leader. No actual specific proposals for what they’re going to do about it.

It’ll end up with nothing happening. Yet again.You get what you vote for [emoji6]

PatHead
08-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Although it would not be a government initiative I think Hibs should issue a statement saying that bigotry has no place at Easter Road.

In the event of a club’s supporters indulging in it then they will not receive a ticket allocation for the next match.

Lead by example and support our manager at the same time.

Smartie
08-11-2018, 06:19 PM

It’ll end up with nothing happening. Yet again.

What do you suggest she "does"?

Smartie
08-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Although it would not be a government initiative I think Hibs should issue a statement saying that bigotry has no place at Easter Road.

In the event of a club’s supporters indulging in it then they will not receive a ticket allocation for the next match.

I agree 100%, and I am a bit disappointed at our club's silence (again) on the matter.

CropleyWasGod
08-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Would seem that Lennon isn't going to drop this until some kind of action is taken, Leeann Dempster really needs to back the manager on the matter and call out the authorities to do something about it.The authorities, as in the football authorities or the government?

If it's the former, that's the clubs, who have collectively sat on their hands and refused to accept any sort of liability. Up to a point, you can understand why, as clubs' income might be at risk. Albeit that completely ignores social and community responsibility.

If it's the latter, there is a bill working its way through Parliament that will force strict liability on the clubs. Whilst that may be a welcome step, my worry is how it will be enforced by the ...cough... authorities.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Weegreenman
08-11-2018, 06:23 PM
There are already laws in place to take action , it's the Police who need to act on it.

How many got charged by the Police for sectarianism??

silverhibee
08-11-2018, 06:29 PM
The authorities, as in the football authorities or the government?

If it's the former, that's the clubs, who have collectively sat on their hands and refused to accept any sort of liability. Up to a point, you can understand why, as clubs' income might be at risk. Albeit that completely ignores social and community responsibility.

If it's the latter, there is a bill working its way through Parliament that will force strict liability on the clubs. Whilst that may be a welcome step, my worry is how it will be enforced by the ...cough... authorities.

Football authorities

jacomo
08-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Nah not really.

OBFA was an absurd piece of legislation, a classic effort from politicians desperate to be seen to ‘do something’ without considereing unintended consequences.

As said above, Scotland already has laws against this kind of abuse. What is needed is a determination to act upon them.

CropleyWasGod
08-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Football authoritiesThen we have to pressure our own club to put community responsibility ahead of financial needs, and for them to put pressure on the other clubs.

Personally, I think that's a tough sell. Turkeys and Christmas spring to mind.

I'm more hopeful of the other route, having it imposed on us by law, as long as .. and this is the important thing... that process is overseen by an independent body.

H113EE5
08-11-2018, 07:06 PM

If the past is anything to go by, it’ll be sent out for a consultation to save them making a decision for another 12 months. That’s what they do with everything else rather than take any action which may reduce the level of 45% fanatism over their populist policies. See education, health...... I know not the forum for politics but the OP is political.

Bostonhibby
08-11-2018, 07:16 PM
If the past is anything to go by, it’ll be sent out for a consultation to save them making a decision for another 12 months. That’s what they do with everything else rather than take any action which may reduce the level of 45% fanatism over their populist policies. See education, health...... I know not the forum for politics but the OP is political.Good points. I can only resort to saying you get what you vote for again[emoji5]

Borderhibbie76
08-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Maybe Hibs should issue a similar statement in support of our Manager?Yes I'm a bit disappointed there has been nothing from LD either about the attack on our manager or the notice of complaint?? Even Levein has correctly spoke out about it today

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Godsahibby
08-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Good to hear her come out with this but the end of her answer totally ruined it. “Will continue to ..” what exactly have they done so far? If it really was so important to them more would have been done. Usual empty rhetoric

hibbydog
08-11-2018, 08:13 PM
What do you suggest she "does"?

How about using her position as the most powerful person in the country to call out the Footballing Authorities for years and years of inaction ?

Or ensuring that Police Scotland robustly apply the law rather than continually turning a blind eye

Or organising joint meetings of football clubs and supporters groups to generate some action

I could go on and on...

Godsahibby
08-11-2018, 08:15 PM
How about using her position as the most powerful person in the country to call out the Footballing Authorities for years and years of inaction ?

Or ensuring that Police Scotland robustly apply the law rather than continually turning a blind eye

Or organising joint meetings of football clubs and supporters groups to generate some action

I could go on and on...

Couldn’t agree with this more.

delbert
08-11-2018, 08:16 PM

‘That kind of conduct has no place in modern Scotland’ Aye right Nicola, I’m guessing you haven’t rocked up to many football grounds in your lifetime where either half of Rantic honour the home teams with their presence. It’s been happening for over a hundred years and will continue until a first minister hauls the head of the SFA in and demands ground closures and points docking from these two, and that’s just for starters. I strongly suspect that her speech today will be the start and end of her interest in this, no different from anyone else !!

degenerated
08-11-2018, 08:24 PM
of the OBFA?Epic brass neck there from the dimwitted james kelly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Joe6-2
08-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Of course it is!

marinello59
08-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Well said, now let's see some action

Maybe they could introduce a law targetting sectarianism, and other unnaceptable behaviour, at football matches.

Oh wait, they already did, and everybody criticised it endlessly...especially the Labour Party

If was poorly though out legislation. It would have done nothing more to prevent some idiot throwing a coin than the current laws if enforced could.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Great idea.

And if its televised, they should put a big banner over the empty seats explaining why no fans are allowed - 'these seats aee empty as hibs wont tolerate bigotry'

The authorities need shamed into action.

BegbieHSC
08-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Good on her. Strong, impressive words on it, and more than what any serious politician in Scotland has ever said to condemn anti Irish/catholic bigotry.

We do need to see some action though.

Godsahibby
08-11-2018, 08:52 PM

No chance our club would do that. I think like most other clubs if it came to losing out on money the club would be quite happy to look the other way.

A display by the players before hand, statements in the press and the match day programme but leading with an initiative like that. Unfortunately not going to happen.

hibbydog
08-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Good on her. Strong, impressive words on it, and more than what any serious politician in Scotland has ever said to condemn anti Irish/catholic bigotry.

We do need to see some action though.

‘Good on her’ is being a bit kind.

There is a real opportunity for someone in a position of authority to use their influence and make the much needed changes that everyone is screaming out for. It’s almost an open goal.

But I fully expect nothing will come of this, apart from more hot air,

Kojock
08-11-2018, 09:00 PM

Our board have had numerous chances to support our managers who have suffered sectarian abuse but have said and done nothing. Maybe LD doesn't want to upset her "mates" who she had a season ticket to watch.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-11-2018, 09:06 PM
Our board have had numerous chances to support our managers who have suffered sectarian abuse but have said and done nothing. Maybe LD doesn't want to upset her "mates" who she had a season ticket to watch.

Iys definitely a bit weak from the club, im disappointed.

Especially as our owner is also a well known and high profile catholic.

ronaldo7
08-11-2018, 09:58 PM

Dempster has failed miserably, in not supporting our manager, she's opened the door for the bigots to roll out their sectarian ditties, coming to Easter road soon.

Strict liability is coming, and when it does, they'll all be bleating about it, as per usual.

BILLYHIBS
08-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Brilliant from Nicola Sturgeon let’s bring in Strict Liability and Self Policing by the fans

In Italy in the 1990s to stamp out racism and facism the authorities IFF threatened to close Stadiums if fans did not tow the line.#

The fans terrified of losing their Stadium would drown out those fans making racist noises and altered political slogans to satisfy IFF observers.

Sounds a bit extreme but it worked!

Yeah guys things are getting that bad!

# A Season with Verona : Tim Parks

IGRIGI
08-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Maybe a start would be to ask Police Scotland why their officers stand about with their thumbs up their arse each and every time the Mordor hoarde is up to their knees in fenian blood.

superfurryhibby
08-11-2018, 10:29 PM
I find it astonishing that anyone can criticise Sturgeon’s statement whilst our own club remain silent and the sports governing body do SFA. It seems like some people’s political prejudices prevent them from recognising the FM’s principled stance in supporting our manager.

silverhibee
08-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Then we have to pressure our own club to put community responsibility ahead of financial needs, and for them to put pressure on the other clubs.

Personally, I think that's a tough sell. Turkeys and Christmas spring to mind.

I'm more hopeful of the other route, having it imposed on us by law, as long as .. and this is the important thing... that process is overseen by an independent body.

Well it looks like option 2 then as it doesn't look like our club is going to speak out about the problem, and if you say it's option 2 and not overseen by independent body then we are Donald ducked.

superfurryhibby
08-11-2018, 10:44 PM
A display by the players before hand, statements in the press and the match day programme but leading with an initiative like that. Unfortunately not going to happen.

Sounds reasonable, but it would have more impact if it included players from all SPL clubs.

Should football clubs have any social accountability? If you believe so then a joint effort would send out a powerful message to the haters.

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Dempster has failed miserably, in not supporting our manager, she's opened the door for the bigots to roll out their sectarian ditties, coming to Easter road soon.

Strict liability is coming, and when it does, they'll all be bleating about it, as per usual.

I suspect Neil will be disappointed that the Club haven't spoken up publicly about this matter, and given him their support. Makes the Club look like they have no backbone.

Strict liability for Clubs is the only way the sectarian problem is going to stop. I'm not sure I share your optimism about it being introduced any time soon though. Turkeys and Christmas, and of course the Rangers minded authorities know that Sevco would have the most to lose.

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2018, 10:54 PM
come on Leeann....lets hear your thoughts hen on the sectarian abuse shelved out to one of your fellow employees, thought she(rightly of course) didn't like club employees getting abuse or is it fine if it's only sectarian, or she hoping it's all blown over after a few weeks....until the next time, maybe budge won't do a joint statement with her :rolleyes: the silence from LD has been sickeningly silent, imo

BegbieHSC
08-11-2018, 10:54 PM
I find it astonishing that anyone can criticise Sturgeon’s statement whilst our own club remain silent and the sports governing body do SFA. It seems like some people’s political prejudices prevent them from recognising the FM’s principled stance in supporting our manager.

Hear hear!

BILLYHIBS
08-11-2018, 10:59 PM
My worry is that Lenny in his darkest moments might feel that he is not being supported by his employers on this issue and might decide to walk.
Their silence is defeaning.

CropleyWasGod
08-11-2018, 11:00 PM
I suspect Neil will be disappointed that the Club haven't spoken up publicly about this matter, and given him their support. Makes the Club look like they have no backbone.

Strict liability for Clubs is the only way the sectarian problem is going to stop. I'm not sure I share your optimism about it being introduced any time soon though. Turkeys and Christmas, and of course the Rangers minded authorities know that Sevco would have the most to lose.It will be imposed, though, if the Bill is passed

ronaldo7
08-11-2018, 11:28 PM
It will be imposed, though, if the Bill is passed

And the football authorities, and clubs will then have something to say about it, having done nothing about the situation themselves for decades.

Tomsk
08-11-2018, 11:42 PM
It will be imposed, though, if the Bill is passed

However, it's a Members Bill not a bill introduced by the Scottish Executive (the Scottish Government). In fact in its current state it's not even a bill just a proposal for a bill. It's not long come out of consultation and has a long way to go before it even gets to the main chamber. I wouldn't hold my breath. I think that would be a pretty tricky piece of legislation to get right.

i'm not sure I feel very comfortable about Holyrood imposing strict liability on Scottish football through legislation. I would rather see it adopted internally by the SFA through agreement by its member clubs. Although, I can't see that happening as the two clubs with most to lose will more than likely bully the spineless rest into submission.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2018, 05:03 AM
In relation to football, strict liability would make a big difference, as it does in Europe. When clubs are faced with fines, points docked or stand closures i.e. when it hits their bottom line, they will take the issue of sectarianism more seriously and fans will be much more cautious. UEFA don't stand for discrimination in the stands, nor should national associations. The great publicity such a move would engender may also help sending the message to wider society about the unacceptable nature of such behaviour: a knock on effect. This, in combination with a full on campaign in general society would make a significant impact. It's a difficult problem to eradicate; one which (as we know) requires long term strategies, but I think we would all agree that more needs to be done and we have a distance to travel yet before this national scourge is eradicated.

JimBHibees
09-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Nah not really.

OBFA was an absurd piece of legislation, a classic effort from politicians desperate to be seen to ‘do something’ without considereing unintended consequences.

As said above, Scotland already has laws against this kind of abuse. What is needed is a determination to act upon them.

The bold James Kelly was quick to pat himself on the back when act was repealed yet singularly seemed to be lacking in saying what should happen.

JimBHibees
09-11-2018, 07:01 AM
In relation to football, strict liability would make a big difference, as it does in Europe. When clubs are faced with fines, points docked or stand closures i.e. when it hits their bottom line, they will take the issue of sectarianism more seriously and fans will be much more cautious. UEFA don't stand for discrimination in the stands, nor should national associations. The great publicity such a move would engender may also help sending the message to wider society about the unacceptable nature of such behaviour: a knock on effect. This, in combination with a full on campaign in general society would make a significant impact. It's a difficult problem to eradicate; one which (as we know) requires long term strategies, but I think we would all agree that more needs to be done and we have a distance to travel yet before this national scourge is eradicated.

Totally agree that is exactly what needs to happen.

itslegaltender
09-11-2018, 07:07 AM

Her Husband is a Hibby.

Skol
09-11-2018, 09:00 AM
I dont have any time for Sturgeon, but what she says is welcomed.

Hibs I think are in a tricky position. Privately I am certain they will have had a word with Lennon about his conduct. While he didnt deserve what happened, he didnt exactly help matters. It is also not the first time.

IGRIGI
09-11-2018, 09:41 AM

Hibs I think are in a tricky position. Privately I am certain they will have had a word with Lennon about his conduct. While he didnt deserve what happened, he didnt exactly help matters. It is also not the first time.

If I was Lennon and Hibs had a word with me on my conduct and stayed silent on the sectarian abuse I wouldn't wait a second on telling them to take the job and shove it.

Skol
09-11-2018, 09:43 AM
If I was Lennon and Hibs had a word with me on my conduct and stayed silent on the sectarian abuse I wouldn't wait a second on telling them to take the job and shove it.

When did throwing a coin become sectarian ?

OK I get there was sectarian shouting and abuse going on, but that is hearts problem to deal with

lapsedhibee
09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
:agree:

Stonewall
09-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Maybe Lennon doesn’t want the club to make a statement.

If, as has been suggested, part of the reason he was unsettled was that he felt he was becoming the story then the club issuing a statement would only serve to prolong the issue.

hibsbollah
09-11-2018, 09:54 AM
I've never voted SNP, but Sturgeon always seems to hit the right rhetorical buttons and says exactly what needs to be said in a statesmanlike way. I felt exactly the same when she did the 'scotland welcomes you' speech about immigrants.

The Harp Awakes
09-11-2018, 05:10 PM
I've never voted SNP, but Sturgeon always seems to hit the right rhetorical buttons and says exactly what needs to be said in a statesmanlike way. I felt exactly the same when she did the 'scotland welcomes you' speech about immigrants.

Politics is partisan, and many will refuse to acknowledge talent because of that. IMO Nicola is a very impressive First Minister and leader. Other comments made; action not words are valid, but at least she's got the guts and determination to speak out against sectarianism and to do so in a very eloquent way. Meanwhile the football authorities do SFA.

JimBHibees
09-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Politics is partisan, and many will refuse to acknowledge talent because of that. IMO Nicola is a very impressive First Minister and leader. Other comments made; action not words are valid, but at least she's got the guts and determination to speak out against sectarianism and to do so in a very eloquent way. Meanwhile the football authorities do SFA.

Totally agree.

Lago
09-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Frankly, most if not all Politicians say what they think will make them popular with the electorate, Sturgeon is very good at that, thinks she's the Eva Peron of Scotland in my opinion.

The Harp Awakes
09-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Frankly, most if not all Politicians say what they think will make them popular with the electorate, Sturgeon is very good at that, thinks she's the Eva Peron of Scotland in my opinion.

The difference here is that I don't think there is a lot in it for her politically to speak out about sectarianism. The Rangers minded hoards will be cursing her as a Papal conspirator.

Godsahibby
09-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Sounds reasonable, but it would have more impact if it included players from all SPL clubs.

Should football clubs have any social accountability? If you believe so then a joint effort would send out a powerful message to the haters.

I think you have misquoted and missed the point of my post. The first line was about the club taking a stance and banning away fans if their was issues. I said that wouldn’t happen. Let’s be honest the player displays and the quotes in the press while good to hear and sends out a message really does little difference.

JimBHibees
09-11-2018, 06:12 PM

:rotflmao:

hibbydog
09-11-2018, 06:16 PM

Ach it’s just words. Actions (or at least the promise of some actions) would have been better.

I don’t really think it took much courage to stand up and condemn racism like she did. It’s a view held by many. It takes more guts to stand up and air an opinion when you’re in the minority.

Sturgeon didn’t got anywhere near far enough and has missed an opportunity to take a stand.

Pains me to say it, but the actions of Ann Budge have shown more courage and leadership following this debacle.

lapsedhibee
09-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Ach it’s just words. Actions (or at least the promise of some actions) would have been better.

I don’t really think it took much courage to stand up and condemn racism like she did. It’s a view held by many. It takes more guts to stand up and air an opinion when you’re in the minority.

Sturgeon didn’t got anywhere near far enough and has missed an opportunity to take a stand.

Pains me to say it, but the actions of Ann Budge have shown more courage and leadership following this debacle.
Do you mean her statement, rather than her actions?

Lago
09-11-2018, 06:51 PM
The difference here is that I don't think there is a lot in it for her politically to speak out about sectarianism. The Rangers minded hoards will be cursing her as a Papal conspirator.
Fair point.:agree:

Lago
09-11-2018, 06:53 PM
:rolleyes:
:rotflmao:

Iggy Pope
09-11-2018, 07:07 PM

His interview / press conference is widely available on the official media platform provided by the club.
Let the hystericals continue with their bloody ‘statements’.