PDA

View Full Version : Goal side

wookie70
03-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Just watched the goal again. The usual catalogue of errors with shocking defending from Daz giving away the free kick not helped my Milligan. The nearest anyone got to challenging the header was another St Johnstone player who was completely free after a simple run left Daz for dead. Milligan never gets close to a good position as he is one of these defenders that plays offside until the ball is about to be struck before running back goal side. The problem is he never got there and I have no idea why defenders do this particularly when they are on the far side of the player from the ball. That allows the attacking player a free run to the near post and you have very little chance of getting back.

Our defending was very poor from set pieces today with the one that hit the bar in the first half coming from a deep run that anyone in the front row could have got on and tackled but was completely missed by the team. I'd put the lack of concentration down to events midweek but we concede quite a few goals due to basic defending like leaving a runner. Not good enough.

Chuck Rhoades
03-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Just watched the goal again. The usual catalogue of errors with shocking defending from Daz giving away the free kick not helped my Milligan. The nearest anyone got to challenging the header was another St Johnstone player who was completely free after a simple run left Daz for dead. Milligan never gets close to a good position as he is one of these defenders that plays offside until the ball is about to be struck before running back goal side. The problem is he never got there and I have no idea why defenders do this particularly when they are on the far side of the player from the ball. That allows the attacking player a free run to the near post and you have very little chance of getting back.

Our defending was very poor from set pieces today with the one that hit the bar in the first half coming from a deep run that anyone in the front row could have got on and tackled but was completely missed by the team. I'd put the lack of concentration down to events midweek but we concede quite a few goals due to basic defending like leaving a runner. Not good enough.

Standard positive post from you.

DaveF
03-11-2018, 08:30 PM

He's right though. It was poor stuff.

wookie70
03-11-2018, 08:50 PM

It wasn't a positive performance or goal to lose. I'll say how well it was defended if you want!

Jones28
03-11-2018, 08:57 PM

You serious?

Criswell
03-11-2018, 11:46 PM
My opinion on the free-kick that led to the goal is that McGregor is being fouled against more than he is fouling. I was really surprised it went against him. Penalty decision was equally harsh. We didn't play particularly well, but did not deserve to lose the game.

eastcoasthibby
04-11-2018, 08:27 AM
A couple of things the referee consistently gave them the decisions on free kicks, the reality is Daz fuŁ?ed up, he should dealt with the ball as it came to him not letting it go past him.
The set up for the freekick was naive , we left a massive hole/area for Spoony to play the ball into looking for runners, there should have been someone standing in that hole, I said it when we set up that the hole was there(basic defensive set up).
Have to say that it wasnt surprising, because our whole defensive shape when Daz came on wasnt good a couple of times they came off or ran off markers, we seemed disorganised strange its rare our front players rarely get one to one with defenders, always two or three as cover ...we need to get to a consistent shape and play the natural players in their position. St J under Wright play the same way all the time and given resources do well with it !!

wookie70
04-11-2018, 11:19 AM
A couple of things the referee consistently gave them the decisions on free kicks, the reality is Daz fuŁ?ed up, he should dealt with the ball as it came to him not letting it go past him.
The set up for the freekick was naive , we left a massive hole/area for Spoony to play the ball into looking for runners, there should have been someone standing in that hole, I said it when we set up that the hole was there(basic defensive set up).
Have to say that it wasnt surprising, because our whole defensive shape when Daz came on wasnt good a couple of times they came off or ran off markers, we seemed disorganised strange its rare our front players rarely get one to one with defenders, always two or three as cover ...we need to get to a consistent shape and play the natural players in their position. St J under Wright play the same way all the time and given resources do well with it !!

St J changed their shape a couple of times according to Wright yesterday and I thought they went for it a wee bit more when we brought Daz on. I love the way Lennon usually sets out to play attacking football but your comments about leaving ourselves short at the back are something I have been saying for a while. It is not unusual when we are a goal up that we find ourselves defending 1 on 1. That is nuts to me. I get it when we are trying to win 3 points but we have to turn the dial down when we are winning games.

I also agree that the defensive changes caused the issue yesterday. We looked fairly comfortable until Whittaker was taken off. To me we often look like we aren't sure whose job it is and that is very evident at set pieces where you can see men lying spare and runners being left to run from the half way line without anyone covering. The ever changing personnel in defence and the shape changes whether through injury or choice are taking their toll. We get away with it against the poorest teams in the league but the competent teams are causing us too many problems and taking too many points