PDA

View Full Version : Improvement

alihibs1
22-10-2018, 10:23 AM
After seeing quite alot of negativity over the weekend with people saying players aren't good enough and we'll struggle to hit the heights of last season - it's still a significant improvement on last season. We are scoring more, conceding less and this is without Mcginn and Mcgeouch in our midfield.

Once we finally get to field our best XI including the likes of Gray, Hanlon and Macca we will better last season. Livingston will soon drop off, Killie will drop points and so will Hearts. Celtic and Rangers are both very strong but on our A game we can more than compete with both. We're in for another exciting season.

Obvsiously Saturday was dissapointing and we only turned up second half - taking points from the PBS is vital. But I think some would have a different mind set on our start to the season if Hearts weren't top.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181022/8ee161a36ff1b9424daee65130b19d4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JXM73
22-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Away with your positive nonsense 😂🤣

neil7908
22-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Saturday was naturally disappointing after several wins on the bounce. But the above is great to show how the club are moving forward.

My only concern this season is Hearts, Sevco and Killie are all much improved and throw Livi into the mix and the competition for top spots is a lot tougher.

Even if we are better than last year we might still find ourselves further down the table.

Alan62
22-10-2018, 10:35 AM
An indication of the scale of the improvement is the scale of the disappointment at not beating Celtic in Glasgow.

Juniper Greens
22-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Saturday was naturally disappointing after several wins on the bounce. But the above is great to show how the club are moving forward.

My only concern this season is Hearts, Sevco and Killie are all much improved and throw Livi into the mix and the competition for top spots is a lot tougher.

Even if we are better than last year we might still find ourselves further down the table.

But Aberdeen are noticeably worse. Out of the 3 who finished above us last season, that's one gone already. IMO, I don't think we will finish below anyone who finished below us last season. Onwards and upwards for us

B.H.F.C
22-10-2018, 10:51 AM

IMO we shouldn’t find ourselves any lower than last year.

Aberdeen aren’t anywhere near as strong as they were and I think we will finish above Killie and Livi.

Depending on Hearts result tomorrow night, the derby could take on even more importance in terms of catching them though. They could potentially go 11 in front of us and that would be tough to turn round IMO. Can’t be letting it happen.

Real Emerald
22-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Aberdeen aren’t anywhere near as strong as they were and I think we will finish above Killie and Livi.

Depending on Hearts result tomorrow night, the derby could take on even more importance in terms of catching them though. They could potentially go 11 in front of us and that would be tough to turn round IMO. Can’t be letting it happen.

All very true but Hearts will have had Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen at home and also haven’t had the privilege of playing on that pitch at Livi yet, who they could only draw with at Tynie. They lost their only big away game at Ibrox and caught Celtic at home off the back of a European tie. They’ve had a good run of fixtures to get in that position so may be a bit different in the second quarter of fixtures.

heretoday
22-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Hibs were good on Saturday. Celtic were exceptional. We'd have crushed any other team.

jacomo
22-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Saturday was unfortunate.

We outplayed Celtc last season with a 4-4-2 set up (albeit SJM and Dylan were in heroic form) but no Gray or Hanlon meant we had to reshuffle the pack.

Clearly Whittaker is not trusted at right back. Maybe if Harry had been fit we would have started with him at right back?

calumhibee1
22-10-2018, 12:02 PM
After seeing quite alot of negativity over the weekend with people saying players aren't good enough and we'll struggle to hit the heights of last season - it's still a significant improvement on last season. We are scoring more, conceding less and this is without Mcginn and Mcgeouch in our midfield.

Once we finally get to field our best XI including the likes of Gray, Hanlon and Macca we will better last season. Livingston will soon drop off, Killie will drop points and so will Hearts. Celtic and Rangers are both very strong but on our A game we can more than compete with both. We're in for another exciting season.

Obvsiously Saturday was dissapointing and we only turned up second half - taking points from the PBS is vital. But I think some would have a different mind set on our start to the season if Hearts weren't top.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181022/8ee161a36ff1b9424daee65130b19d4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We’ve had a very good start to the season all things considered, especially having to contend with a European run along with a lot of injuries with the big disappointment being losing in the cup QF.

I do have to laugh though when so many people tell everyone about how Livi and Killie will fall away, Hearts will drop points etc but never mention that we could also do that. Hopefully we won’t but people are kidding themselves on if they think Hearts especially are going to collapse. They’ll pick up enough points at home to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season on top of what they’ve already picked up.

allezsauzee
22-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Celtic were slow to get going this season but when you consider the resources that they, it's a credit to Hibs that we consistently give them more of a game than most teams while still playing good football. The league is more competitive this season and we could conceivably improve but still finish 4th.

500miles
22-10-2018, 12:10 PM
We could still do with a dynamic, physical midfielder. Mallan hasn't got the tools for that yet.

Keith_M
22-10-2018, 12:39 PM
We could still do with a dynamic, physical midfielder. Mallan hasn't got the tools for that yet.

Yep, all he does is score goals.

Bangkok Hibby
22-10-2018, 12:43 PM
I'm amazed anyone is downbeat about the current squad (seen plenty of that across various forums) Barring injuries it's a top 3 finish

Real Emerald
22-10-2018, 12:46 PM

All very true but Hearts will have had Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen at home and also haven’t had the privilege of playing on that pitch at Livi yet, who they could only draw with at Tynie. They lost their only big away game at Ibrox and caught Celtic at home off the back of a European tie. They’ve had a good run of fixtures to get in that position so may be a bit different in the second quarter of fixtures.

Ozyhibby
22-10-2018, 02:05 PM
We have a cracking team just now with a cracking manager. Don’t think many are complaining though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kojock
22-10-2018, 02:13 PM
We have a cracking team just now with a cracking manager. Don’t think many are complaining though.

Just shows you how far we have come that we are disappointed losing to what was a very good Celtic performance. Wasn't that long ago where losing 4 goals and scoring two at Parkhead would be classed as a good day out.

Ronniekirk
22-10-2018, 02:30 PM

And fromoutside the Box and Freekicks Am fed up seeing them fly in FFS
We have been crying out for a player like him ,and now we have him folk want to pick holes in his game He is still young and improving Outr problem will be hanging on to him A cert to score 20 goals from midfield in all competitions When did we last have that ?

500miles
22-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Did I say I'd take him out the team like?

500miles
22-10-2018, 02:51 PM
We have been crying out for a player like him ,and now we have him folk want to pick holes in his game He is still young and improving Outr problem will be hanging on to him A cert to score 20 goals from midfield in all competitions When did we last have that ?

So keep him in the team. But Hyndman and Slivka may not be the answer to completing the ideal midfield trio with Mallan and Milligan.

NZ Green
22-10-2018, 03:05 PM
I might be sugarcoating a bit, but if you exclude the first 20 mins of the game where we set up shop a bit wrong, the final 70 mins was 2-2 against an on form Celtic on their home turf. They've only conceded 3 goals at home so far in the league, 2 of them from us.

Stuart93
22-10-2018, 07:57 PM
I might be sugarcoating a bit, but if you exclude the first 20 mins of the game where we set up shop a bit wrong, the final 70 mins was 2-2 against an on form Celtic on their home turf. They've only conceded 3 goals at home so far in the league, 2 of them from us.

Sounds a bit Ian Cathrine-esque

Captain Trips
22-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Team is more than epuiped to finish 2nd.

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2018, 09:04 PM
We’re doing better than last season and have a better squad too.

We will finish with more points and be much closer to the league winners at the end as well.

pacoluna
22-10-2018, 09:44 PM

This is same repetitive chronic patter I hear from many on this. When the fact is pointed out that we are doing better than the season before, people for some reason like to put it down to the fact the opposition aren't as strong. The same nonsense is spouted when comparing Lennons team who got promoted to stubbs team that never.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2018, 09:54 PM
This is same repetitive chronic patter I hear from many on this. When the fact is pointed out that we are doing better than the season before, people for some reason like to put it down to the fact the opposition aren't as strong. The same nonsense is spouted when comparing Lennons team who got promoted to stubbs team that never.

Chronic patter? Have a word.

I said I think we’ll finish in the top four at least. I’m no sure how that translates to chronic patter.

Speedy
23-10-2018, 07:36 AM

I don't understand this attitude. I certainly haven't heard anyone say he's crap.

Mallan is a great asset but like all of our players he's not perfect, we therefore need to play midfielders who complement each others' game.

wookie70
23-10-2018, 08:41 AM
I don't understand this attitude. I certainly haven't heard anyone say he's crap.

Mallan is a great asset but like all of our players he's not perfect, we therefore need to play midfielders who complement each others' game.

He is a great asset going forward as is Horgan and Hyndman. That leaves Milligan for the defensive side which may work against the teams where we have huge amounts of possession but is a dangerous game against Celtic. Lennon hasn't quite got the formula for our midfield, yet, and the injuries haven't helped.

Mallan has been a great acquisition but his defensive game is poor. He lets runners go far too often and he needs to improve that side of his game. The good news is he has the talent which is difficult to learn and now just needs to settle into the position he is playing which is more defensive that he has probably been used to.

eastcoasthibby
23-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Our difficulty is in our defensive capabilities with both Mallan and Hyndman too readily not tracking runs, not putting a tackle in and not even positioning themselves properly ...Horgan does too an extent but is weak in his efforts ...so we need someone with a bit of attacking ability and some physical presence to take up probably the Hyndman position and we will see further improvement on where we are ..!!

jacomo
23-10-2018, 02:51 PM

We had a slow start last season, largely because we shipped a lot of goals.

I’d be unhappy if we weren’t doing better this campaign.

The Modfather
23-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Hypothetical question as unlikely to happen, but in terms of progress how would it be seen if we finished with more points than last season but finished 5th?

Hi Heid Yin
23-10-2018, 04:30 PM
An indication of the scale of the improvement is the scale of the disappointment at not beating Celtic in Glasgow.

:agree::agree:

Beefster
23-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Hypothetical question as unlikely to happen, but in terms of progress how would it be seen if we finished with more points than last season but finished 5th?

Most rational supporters would see it as progress.

Speedy
23-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Most rational supporters would see it as progress.

It depends. That scenario would suggest the top teams have been propped up by the bottom 6 being so poor but ultimately we'd still have underperformed versus our rivals.

Ozyhibby
23-10-2018, 07:40 PM

That would be failure. In football your success is judged against others. The aim has to be Europa league again. Anything else is failure.

edinburghhibee
24-10-2018, 11:19 PM
That would be failure. In football your success is judged against others. The aim has to be Europa league again. Anything else is failure.

This is where I stand on this matter. We need to be in Europe at least for me to be happy. I think we will.