PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad

hibby rae
01-10-2018, 01:34 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45707466

No Boyle then. If I was him, Australia would probably be a more attractive option. He'd be far more likely to make a major tournament with them I imagine.

Also, Jack Hendry getting in to the squad is mental. He's not up to international standard yet, given the basic mistakes he's making in the league. If Hanlon was fit he'd be far more deserving of a place.

cleanyman
01-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Jack Hendry is total balls

horseflesh
01-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Boyles nowhere near good enough for a Scotland cap, take the green tinted specs aff

yonder1875
01-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Jack Hendry a better option than Paul Hanlon, hahaha.

hibby rae
01-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Boyles nowhere near good enough for a Scotland cap, take the green tinted specs aff

Not saying he is. What I am saying is, if I was him, Australia probably have more to offer him. So not being recognised by Scotland won't really be a loss to him career-wise.

Allant1981
01-10-2018, 01:47 PM

well he was close to getting called up in the summer so the coaching staff must think he is

horseflesh
01-10-2018, 01:50 PM
They couldn’t coach a ***** out of their collective ********s

horseflesh
01-10-2018, 01:50 PM

Poo out of their bottoms

Callyballybe
01-10-2018, 01:53 PM
So according to the BBC website the game is 11th September, didn't realise the next leg of the nations league was another 11 months away!

This tournament will take ages to finish!

Fergos
01-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Good to see the old reliable Beeb doing what Hawkins couldnt ie time travel, they have the Isreal game listed for September 11th....this year Im presuming....

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Have you actually seen some of the dross getting Scotland caps recently? Also do you know what nowhere near means? The starting winger for the team 2nd in the national League isn't nowhere near the national team.

HoboHarry
01-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Nothing more than opinion on your part. NL would tell you that he is and I recall reading that the national staff have discussed Boyle with NL which suggests he is very close.....

Allant1981
01-10-2018, 02:11 PM

dont hold back!! this is all your opinion of course, i happen to disagree, if a couple of our wingers get injured then boyle is more than good enough to get called up, he is not a million miles away from james forrest for example

Zazu62
01-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Jack Hendry?

Eyrie
01-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Jack Hendry?
GJP obviously rates him more than the Celtc fans do.

Sheffhibee
01-10-2018, 08:43 PM
That's me finished with Scotland, Jack Hendry FFS. Hanlon has forgotten more about the game than that clown will ever learn. if your not playing for the ugly sisters in the SPFL you've got to be on a pre contract with either of them or an English team to stand a chance :flag:

horseflesh
01-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Have you actually seen some of the dross getting Scotland caps recently? Also do you know what nowhere near means? The starting winger for the team 2nd in the national League isn't nowhere near the national team.

Lots of dross in that Scotland team agreed. Boyle is improving quickly under Lennon and I hope he does well for Oz

Leith Green
01-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Did i read Mcleish correctly? He said he doesnt want to call him up just because he is in great form ... Surely thats exactly what he should be doing

eastmainsmsh
01-10-2018, 09:23 PM
If MB was a old firm player he would be in the squad . Would Jack Hendry be in if he was still at dundee no disrespect to either players or clubs

hfc rd
01-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Has the Australian squad been announced? If not, fancy Boyle will be in that.

Plus he will have better chances of playing at a World Cup with Australia. Something that ain’t gonna happen playing for Scotland.

frazeHFC
01-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Having Milligan and Maclaren must make Australia an even more attractive proposition for Boyle. Brilliant chance for him to make a name for himself Internationally and reach a major tournament.

Jim44
01-10-2018, 10:43 PM

Not being good enough for the Scotland squad must be a real dent in your confidence and self esteem. :faf: It’s not as if there’s much to live up to. If Boyle has the opportunity to play for a country that has any chance of qualifying for international finals, he should grasp the opportunity with both hands.

Forza Fred
01-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Think he’ll be called into a training camp in the Middle East next international break so that Arnie (the Socceroo coach) can have a close look at him.

Be a good move for Boyle....and opens up a possible playing destination at club level when he eventually leaves Hibs if he impresses.

HibernianJK
02-10-2018, 03:48 AM
Not saying he is. What I am saying is, if I was him, Australia probably have more to offer him. So not being recognised by Scotland won't really be a loss to him career-wise.

Has he said he wants to represent Australia? He may not feel Australian or have any wish to represent them.

J-C
02-10-2018, 05:02 AM
His father was born there.

green day
02-10-2018, 05:13 AM
I have no respect left for McLeish - he is captain soundbite now, feels like all his answers are pre prepared.

Even Celtic fans are questioning Hendry at club level but he is a shoe in for this squad - awful.

He says of Boyle that we have plenty in his position - but do we really have anyone with his raw pace to exploit defences? I am not sure, and a Martin Boyle in form, coming off the bench for Scotland with 20 to go is a huge weapon.

Certainly doing everything we can to push this laddie from Aberdeen toward potentially playing for Australia :rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
02-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Jack Hendry :dunno:

Why?

Hope he’s playing next time we play Celtic :greengrin

weecounty hibby
02-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Whether or not Boyle or Hanlon are good enough is a matter of debate, personally I believe they are at least as good as some who have played for Scotland in the past and some who are playing now. What really isn't debatable is that Jack Henry is ***** and looks like a fish out of water playing for celtic. Unfortunately the fact that that particular fish has green and white hooped markings makes it a shoe in for a cap!!

Is It On....
02-10-2018, 06:48 AM
Did i read Mcleish correctly? He said he doesnt want to call him up just because he is in great form ... Surely thats exactly what he should be doing

Maybe not being picked when you are great form takes away the disappointment of not being picked when you are in great form?

jacomo
02-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Whether or not Boyle or Hanlon are good enough is a matter of debate, personally I believe they are at least as good as some who have played for Scotland in the past and some who are playing now. What really isn't debatable is that Jack Henry is ***** and looks like a fish out of water playing for celtic. Unfortunately the fact that that particular fish has green and white hooped markings makes it a shoe in for a cap!!

I think PH would fit very nicely into the Scotland back three. He’d bring composure and experience.

superfurryhibby
02-10-2018, 07:34 AM
I think PH would fit very nicely into the Scotland back three. He’d bring composure and experience.

Yep, Hanlon is an excellent footballer and his use of the ball is very good. Can’t say I recall Henry, but yon McKenna hasn’t impressed me, neither has Souttar. Hanlon’s stop-start season may not have helped his cause.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2018, 07:34 AM

I think him being left sided counts against him with Tierney, McKenna and Mulgrew already in the squad.

bigwheel
02-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Yep, Hanlon is an excellent footballer and his use of the ball is very good. Can’t say I recall Henry, but yon McKenna hasn’t impressed me, neither has Souttar. Hanlon’s stop-start season may not have helped his cause.

To me Souttar looks impressive..a footballer as well as a defender - not too many of those. Hanlon fits into that category too though.

I can see why McKenna is rated highly. Big physical player, strong and aggressive in his play (did anyone notice him "pinching" Kamberi's arm/neck a few times when they were playing against each other - Kamberi was getting pretty angry about it for a while)...So not short on a bit of arrogance too..Also he can play a bit for a big guy. Good passer and comfortable with ball at this feet. Think he will go on to get a big move if he keeps himself free of big injuries.

Hendry looks out of sorts - confidence gone by playing too much in his early Celtic career - surprised to see him in the squad.

BILLYHIBS
02-10-2018, 07:42 AM

Last time I saw Soapy Soutar in the flesh Simon Murray was nutmegging him in the box and crashing the ball into the roof of the Jambo net :greengrin

Forgot the Scott Allan ( natural order) game but at 2-0 will not have covered himself in glory

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY!

G B Young
02-10-2018, 08:13 AM

You say that as though Scotland is blessed with a wealth of world-class international players. We have achieved nothing for more than 20 years while Australia have been to the last four World Cups. Hardly a second-best option if Boyle opts to play for them.

hibsbollah
02-10-2018, 08:26 AM
I think there's a fair bit of talent in that squad. It's how he uses it. I'd like to see him play Robertson as a winger in front of Tierney (which is effectively how he plays for Liverpool most of the time anyway). Annoyingly, Souttar and McKenna are potentially the best two centre backs we've had for a while and are the obvious first choices. Barry Bannon has been apparently on outstanding form in the Championship, surprised we haven't seen his name back again.

On another subject, how unhealthy does McLeish look? definitely the pastiest man alive. Badly in need of some vit D.

spike220
02-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Have you ever seen Scotland play??

They are Brutal and have been as long as I can remember.

Smartie
02-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Have you ever seen Scotland play??

They are Brutal and have been as long as I can remember.

They played well in their last competitive game and did much better during the 2nd half of the last qualifying campaign than the first.

J-C
02-10-2018, 09:11 AM
I think him being left sided counts against him with Tierney, McKenna and Mulgrew already in the squad.

Paul is very adept with his right foot.

Carheenlea
02-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Martin Boyle has improved so much since arriving at Hibs, and hopefully will continue to do so. McLeish will surely be aware of Australia’s interest and is shirking his responsibility’s as Scotland manager by not selecting him simply to ensure Scotland having the option of a further improving Martin Boyle in the future.

poolman
02-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Aye, and the rest of the Scottish squad are awash with highly talented international footballers :rolleyes:

heretoday
02-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Who gives a monkey's about Scotland?
Hibs are where it's at.

TheHarpy76
02-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Jack Hendry?

At least Hanley isn’t getting called up.

Could you imagine those two in the same defence? 😱😱

WeeRussell
02-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Hibs are where it's at.

The majority of Scottish football fans :confused:

WeeRussell
02-10-2018, 11:32 AM
That's me finished with Scotland, Jack Hendry FFS. Hanlon has forgotten more about the game than that clown will ever learn. if your not playing for the ugly sisters in the SPFL you've got to be on a pre contract with either of them or an English team to stand a chance :flag:

You're going to stop supporting Scotland because Jack Hendry is in the squad?

.. squad looks strong enough to get the job done. I'm sure every team's forum is rife with people annoyed because their favourite player isn't in the squad.

CMurdoch
02-10-2018, 01:08 PM
To me Souttar looks impressive..a footballer as well as a defender - not too many of those. Hanlon fits into that category too though.

I can see why McKenna is rated highly. Big physical player, strong and aggressive in his play (did anyone notice him "pinching" Kamberi's arm/neck a few times when they were playing against each other - Kamberi was getting pretty angry about it for a while)...So not short on a bit of arrogance too..Also he can play a bit for a big guy. Good passer and comfortable with ball at this feet. Think he will go on to get a big move if he keeps himself free of big injuries.

Hendry looks out of sorts - confidence gone by playing too much in his early Celtic career - surprised to see him in the squad.

Good to read a sensible post :aok:

green day
04-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Boyle is confirmed in the Aussie squad.

McLeish is a fanny

easty
04-10-2018, 07:46 AM

McLeish is a fanny

Each to their own...but if I was Martin Boyle I’d not play for Australia. Regardless of being overlooked by Scotland.

For me, you should want to play for “your country” not just “a country”.

04Sauzee
04-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Each to their own...but if I was Martin Boyle I’d not play for Australia. Regardless of being overlooked by Scotland.

Maybe he sees it as a way of playing in the world cup anfaiant some of the best players in the world. It's a pain when players always but any exposure Hibs have when players are playing for their country can only be a good things in my opinion.

G B Young
04-10-2018, 07:59 AM

There have been plenty of players down the years whose qualification to play international football for certain countries (Scotland included) has, while falling within the official criteria, been tenuous to say the least. By comparison Boyle's qualification (dad born in Australia) is pretty solid. Good luck to him. His call-up is well deserved.

R'Albin
04-10-2018, 08:01 AM

McLeish is a fanny

I'm guessing that'll mean him, McLaren and Milligan will all be away for the AFC Asian Cup. Thankfully the winter break covers most of that, but I wonder if the club will consider calling any games off? The tournament is 5th of January until the 1st of February so it could affect St Mirren and Motherwell away and then Aberdeen at home depending on how well Australia do (they won it last time).

Billy Whizz
04-10-2018, 08:06 AM
I'm guessing that'll mean him, McLaren and Milligan will all be away for the AFC Asian Cup. Thankfully the winter break covers most of that, but I wonder if the club will consider calling any games off? The tournament is 5th of January until the 1st of February so it could affect St Mirren and Motherwell away and then Aberdeen at home depending on how well Australia do (they won it last time).

And our 1st game in the Scottish Cup

GoalsMcGinley
04-10-2018, 08:27 AM
2 words to explain why MB should be in the latest squad.

James Forrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

staunchhibby
04-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Ye they head off to Dubai on Sunday.

Billy Whizz
04-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Ye they head off to Dubai on Sunday.

Who does

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 09:18 AM

There's been a good number of players with Scotland caps who aren't Scottish.

WeeRussell
04-10-2018, 09:49 AM
There's been a good number of players with Scotland caps who aren't Scottish.

Correct - but I do 100% agree with Easty. If it was myself in the same position I wouldn't consider playing for another country.

Each to their own has he says though :agree:

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Correct - but I do 100% agree with Easty. If it was myself in the same position I wouldn't consider playing for another country.

That's always easy for fans to say, but I'd be surprised if there were many professional footballers who would refuse to play international football, regardless of whether it was the country if their birth.

My dad was Polish. If they'd have asked me to play for them, and I had little or no chance of getting a game for Scotland, I'd have been off like a shot.

I can imagine the conversation in 20 years. "I could have played for Australia." "Yeah? I could have been an astronaut."

As it stands, Martin Boyle could play at the 2022 World Cup. That may or may not happen, but he'd be a total erse if he denied himself that opportunity.

"I'd rather wait for a chance to play for Scotland, even though I'm about 5th in line for the shirt and Scotland probably won't even qualify."

Nah.

bigwheel
04-10-2018, 10:07 AM

I understand that view. But think it is different when it becomes your job - you will want to do as much in your profession as possible...and if you qualify for more than one country then being open to either is a sensible thing for a pro to do...maximises their CV and experiences

hibby rae
04-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Depends how he self-identifies really. As an example, I know guys who were born in England, with Scottish parents and lived in both countries but the majority of it being in England, but they identify as Scottish and that is who they support when the two countries play each other in sports fixtures.

WeeRussell
04-10-2018, 11:41 AM
That's always easy for fans to say, but I'd be surprised if there were many professional footballers who would refuse to play international football, regardless of whether it was the country if their birth.

My dad was Polish. If they'd have asked me to play for them, and I had little or no chance of getting a game for Scotland, I'd have been off like a shot.

I can imagine the conversation in 20 years. "I could have played for Australia." "Yeah? I could have been an astronaut."

As it stands, Martin Boyle could play at the 2022 World Cup. That may or may not happen, but he'd be a total erse if he denied himself that opportunity.

"I'd rather wait for a chance to play for Scotland, even though I'm about 5th in line for the shirt and Scotland probably won't even qualify."

Nah.

I don't deny that the above is exactly like that for many and maybe Martin Boyle too. Nor do I have any issue with it.

But it's easy for me to say I wouldn't play for another country because it's true.

He certainly wouldn't be a "total erse" if he had decided he wanted to wait and hope to play for the country he's from :rolleyes:

Someone pointed out that Boyle was in the running for the squad a few months ago, which surprises me, but suggests he isn't all that far away.

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 11:44 AM
I don't deny that the above is exactly like that for many and maybe Martin Boyle too. Nor do I have any issue with it.

But it's easy for me to say I wouldn't play for another country because it's true.

He certainly wouldn't be a "total erse" if he had decided he wanted to wait and hope to play for the country he's from :rolleyes:

Someone pointed out that Boyle was in the running for the squad a few months ago, which surprises me, but suggests he isn't all that far away.

Yes," total erse" was excessive. "Highly foolish" would have been a better phrase.

Thankfully, he's neither.

WeeRussell
04-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Yes," total erse" was excessive. "Highly foolish" would have been a better phrase.

Thankfully, he's neither.

Also debatable :greengrin

vuefrom1875
04-10-2018, 11:48 AM
I think there's a fair bit of talent in that squad. It's how he uses it. I'd like to see him play Robertson as a winger in front of Tierney (which is effectively how he plays for Liverpool most of the time anyway). Annoyingly, Souttar and McKenna are potentially the best two centre backs we've had for a while and are the obvious first choices. Barry Bannon has been apparently on outstanding form in the Championship, surprised we haven't seen his name back again.

On another subject, how unhealthy does McLeish look? definitely the pastiest man alive. Badly in need of some vit D.
Bit of A bevvy merchant......apparently!

vuefrom1875
04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Hibs are where it's at.

Correct.

vuefrom1875
04-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Good on you Boyle.

J-C
04-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Has Boyle ever been contacted about the possibility of playing for Scotland? If this is a no then he has to loo at his options, to the posters saying he shouldn't play for Australia and only for the place of his birth, what nonsense, his father IS Australian ffs which makes him half Australian, no grandfather or grandmother involved here he has a direct connection to Australia.

WeeRussell
04-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Has Boyle ever been contacted about the possibility of playing for Scotland? If this is a no then he has to loo at his options, to the posters saying he shouldn't play for Australia and only for the place of his birth, what nonsense, his father IS Australian ffs which makes him half Australian, no grandfather or grandmother involved here he has a direct connection to Australia.

Who said he shouldn't?

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Who said he shouldn't?

Easy said as much, I think.

WeeRussell
04-10-2018, 12:17 PM

I guess looking back he pretty much did :greengrin He also opened with "each to their own" and said it as if he was in Boyle's shoes (or boots even).

Hardly worth the above charging on with "nonsense" and "ffs" getting wound up by it because a couple of people have said it wouldn't be their decision.

I would wish Boyle the best of luck (unless he faces us) in an Australian career and it may well be the best decision for him. It just wouldn't have been for me.. or Easty :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
04-10-2018, 12:25 PM

The truth is that Boyle, Stevenson, Hanlon should be nowhere near the international sides of any established footballing country, but are all easily good enough for any Scotland set up since the 1980's.

Barman Stanton
04-10-2018, 03:32 PM
He has a much better chance to play in a world cup with Australia than Scotland. If I was him I would grab it with both hands. Plus McLeish knows Australia are interested and didnt pick him so its not like he is wanted by his own country.

Scott Allan Key
04-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Having Milligan and Maclaren must make Australia an even more attractive proposition for Boyle. Brilliant chance for him to make a name for himself Internationally and reach a major tournament.

I understand the misgivings about Squirrel not playing for Scotland, but I think in the short term it will be good for Hibs with two fellow Aussie team mates bonding.

Billy Whizz
04-10-2018, 04:22 PM
I understand the misgivings about Squirrel not playing for Scotland, but I think in the short term it will be good for Hibs with two fellow Aussie team mates bonding.

Not sure if it will be that good for Hibs. We’ll have 3 Hibees travelling the world during international breaks. Fortunately their friendly in a week or 2 is in Kuwait. But they are playing in Australia in November. A long trek for a game, and the travelling for the players can’t be great either

easty
04-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Nah. Not really, radge. I said I wouldn’t do it.

I hope he does well for Australia, if he’s capped.

easty
04-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Depends how he self-identifies really. As an example, I know guys who were born in England, with Scottish parents and lived in both countries but the majority of it being in England, but they identify as Scottish and that is who they support when the two countries play each other in sports fixtures.

I don’t have any issues with this kind of thing. They see themselves as Scottish, so pick Scotland as “their country”. That’s different to finding out through a 3rd party that you qualify to play for another country, then choosing them cos you’re not getting a chance for your own.

Lancs Harp
04-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Not sure if it will be that good for Hibs. We’ll have 3 Hibees travelling the world during international breaks. Fortunately their friendly in a week or 2 is in Kuwait. But they are playing in Australia in November. A long trek for a game, and the travelling for the players can’t be great either

Exposure to international football cant be a bad thing Billy. Theres plenty of players across the world doing this in this day and age. Can only see a positive for both Boyler and for Hibs in this.

SChibs
04-10-2018, 07:56 PM

I know a guy who was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, lived here all his life and supports England. No guessing required for what club he supports

WeeRussell
05-10-2018, 10:53 AM
I know a guy who was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, lived here all his life and supports England. No guessing required for what club he supports

Ahh - the most bizarre and intriguing type of Rangers fan.

Libby Hibby
05-10-2018, 11:39 AM
2 words to explain why MB should be in the latest squad.

James Forrest.

Correct, JF, simply is the most overrated player I think I’ve ever known. Bang average.

GoalsMcGinley
05-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Correct, JF, simply is the most overrated player I think I’ve ever known. Bang average.

If he wasn’t a Celtic player he would have ZERO caps!!

easty
05-10-2018, 12:08 PM
If he wasn’t a Celtic player he would have ZERO caps!!

Aye, but if he'd always been a Hibs player, we'd be claiming the national team manager was an absolute idiot for not picking him.

I like Martin Boyle, but James Forrest is a better player.

Barman Stanton
05-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Aye, but if he'd always been a Hibs player, we'd be claiming the national team manager was an absolute idiot for not picking him.

I wouldn't swap Boyle for Forrest personally.

GoalsMcGinley
05-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Based on what stats?

My_Wife_Camille
05-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Based on what stats?

Personally I’m not one to judge on stats at all but if I was I’d imagine that all of the stats point to Forrest being better

easty
05-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Based on what stats?

I dunno, probably whatever stats you want to look at? League winners medals, cup winners medals, Scotland caps...prob assists last season...prob goals last season.

brog
05-10-2018, 02:21 PM

No, you only think JF is the better player. Others think MB is the better player. Its only opinions, not FACTS!, even Hibs Net FACTS!

easty
05-10-2018, 02:23 PM
No, you only think JF is the better player. Others think MB is the better player. Its only opinions, not FACTS!, even Hibs Net FACTS!

And I never said it was :confused:

brog
05-10-2018, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=easty;5568269]And I never said it was :confused:[/QUOT
You said 'James Forrest is a better player'. That comes across as a statement of fact. Just put IMO before it & you're ok.

easty
05-10-2018, 04:23 PM
You said 'James Forrest is a better player'. That comes across as a statement of fact. Just put IMO before it & you're ok.

I’m no gonna start putting IMO in front of everything I post! Hahahahaha

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2018, 03:12 PM
James Forrest just scored a hat trick before half time in the Celtic game today. The same number of goals in 23 minutes as Boyle has managed all season.

I love Boyle but Forrest is far superior

WeeRussell
07-10-2018, 03:15 PM
James Forrest just scored a hat trick before half time in the Celtic game today. The same number of goals in 23 minutes as Boyle has managed all season.

Make that 4.

WeeRussell
07-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Hahahahaha. There are some regular ridiculous comments on hibs.net but this one is up there!

Famous Fiver
07-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Boyler will do well for Oz. I wouldn't have minded seeing him in a Scotland jersey, Forrest or no Forrest.

Bristolhibby
07-10-2018, 03:53 PM

I’ve said it on many message boards. When you sign your first contract, there should be a box for “Country”.

You fill that in, and that’s you.

Barring your country gaining independence or splitting into many pieces (like Yugoslavia) or joining another country (West & East Germany), that’s you decided.

Will soon wrestle out the journemen who see International football as club football.

J

Billy Whizz
07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
As an aside, any news if Agyepong has travelled to meet up with the Ghana squad?
Any news on Oli Shaw from yesterday. Due to fly to Kiev with Mallon and Porteous

California-Hibs
07-10-2018, 04:07 PM
I always have a wee chuckle when people knock Forrest because he's a Celtic player. If he was at us we'd wax lyrical about him. 4 goals today. I love Boyle and he's fantastic for us, but please let's not kid ourselves on regarding Forrest. He's a very very good player!

Allant1981
07-10-2018, 04:13 PM
forrest is a good player but lets not kid ourselves on that there are many better scottish wingers than boyle, he would have been a good addition to the scotland squad

percy veer
07-10-2018, 04:19 PM

should you not have a IMO at the end there?

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2018, 04:32 PM
forrest is a good player but lets not kid ourselves on that there are many better scottish wingers than boyle, he would have been a good addition to the scotland squad
Off the top of my head, Johnny Russell, Matt Phillips, James Forrest, Robert Snodgrass, Ryan’s Fraser, Matt Ritchie, Oli Burke, Barrie Mackay and Gary Mackay Steven are all better than Martin Boyle

imo

Allant1981
07-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Off the top of my head, Johnny Russell, Matt Phillips, James Forrest, Robert Snodgrass, Ryan’s Fraser, Matt Ritchie, Oli Burke, Barrie Mackay and Gary Mackay Steven are all better than Martin Boyle

imo

so im guessing you just decided to pick random midfielders seeing as there are only 2 possibly 3 actual wingers in that list

and please tell me you are kidding with barrie mackay

hfc rd
07-10-2018, 04:37 PM

imo

Mackay-Steven? Seriously, you mad?

HibbyAndy
07-10-2018, 04:37 PM

imo

Barry Mackay ? Aye right !!

brog
07-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Yep & before today Forrest hadn't scored a goal in domestic competition this season. Last season was his best ever for goalscoring & assists, he was being touted for POTY from early on & IIRC he was on the shortlist of 4. Despite that he divides opinion amongst Celtc fans as well, it was one of them who said to me that Forrest beats up on lesser teams but tends to disappear in the big games. Apparently only 2 of his goals last season were against top 6 teams. I'm not saying Boyle is his equal (yet) but I think there's a case that MB is a more important player for us than JF is for Celtc. All IMO of course :wink:

Greenbeard
07-10-2018, 05:36 PM
SJM subbed y'day due to injury?

Speedy
07-10-2018, 05:52 PM

imo

Not many of those have the pace that Boyle has to cause a threat off the bench. Although granted the first 6 are ahead in the pecking order.

Curious to hear from Burke has done to merit such praise?

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2018, 06:13 PM
so im guessing you just decided to pick random midfielders seeing as there are only 2 possibly 3 actual wingers in that list

and please tell me you are kidding with barrie mackay

Every single one of those players are wingers. And just because Barrie Mckay played for Rangers doesn’t make him any less of a player.

Mackay-Steven? Seriously, you mad?
No, Gary Mackay Steven is a quality player at this level.

Barry Mackay ? Aye right !!
See above. He’s a good player who’s progressed into doing well for and English Championship team now. He’s not exactly Eden Hazard but he’s a very decent winger in Scottish terms

Not many of those have the pace that Boyle has to cause a threat off the bench. Although granted the first 6 are ahead in the pecking order.

Curious to hear from Burke has done to merit such praise?
Agree with that, Boyles pace definitely gives him something that a lot of those players don’t. For what it’s worth, I’m not taking anything away from Boyle because the guy is quality for us but I think any one of those players would be an improvement.

Burke has Premier League and Bundesliga experience as well as a number of international and has been the subject of two £15m transfers already which says a lot. Again imo

Allant1981
07-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Every single one of those players are wingers. And just because Barrie Mckay played for Rangers doesn’t make him any less of a player.

No, Gary Mackay Steven is a quality player at this level.

See above. He’s a good player who’s progressed into doing well for and English Championship team now. He’s not exactly Eden Hazard but he’s a very decent winger in Scottish terms

Agree with that, Boyles pace definitely gives him something that a lot of those players don’t. For what it’s worth, I’m not taking anything away from Boyle because the guy is quality for us but I think any one of those players would be an improvement.

Burke has Premier League and Bundesliga experience as well as a number of international and has been the subject of two £15m transfers already which says a lot. Again imo

sorry but they arent wingers, id suggest watching them play, forrest and fraser yes, the rest are no where near wingers

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2018, 07:16 PM
sorry but they arent wingers, id suggest watching them play, forrest and fraser yes, the rest are no where near wingers
Aye ok then :crazy:

Speedy
07-10-2018, 09:45 PM

He hardly got a game in either the Bundesliga or Premier League and has been pretty hopeless for Scotland. Not sure he's even played yet this year.

Big laddie but I'm yet to see anything that indicates any potential (other than price tag), he's certainly not a worthy pick at the moment.

Edit: Realise I'm going off topic so happy to call it a day at that but I'm just always underwhelmed with Burke.

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2018, 10:11 PM
He hardly got a game in either the Bundesliga or Premier League and has been pretty hopeless for Scotland. Not sure he's even played yet this year.

Big laddie but I'm yet to see anything that indicates any potential (other than price tag), he's certainly not a worthy pick at the moment.

Edit: Realise I'm going off topic so happy to call it a day at that but I'm just always underwhelmed with Burke.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not altogether convinced he’s an EPL, Bundesliga or International level superstar myself but the comparison was with Martin Boyle and I can’t see him commanding many £15,000,000 transfers any time soon :greengrin

Speedy
08-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not altogether convinced he’s an EPL, Bundesliga or International level superstar myself but the comparison was with Martin Boyle and I can’t see him commanding many £15,000,000 transfers any time soon :greengrin

Neither do I but at this stage I genuinely think Boyle offers more to the Scotland squad.

J-C
08-10-2018, 09:23 AM
On Sportscene last night they mentioned that McLeish fancies Stephen O'Donnell on the right as a wingback over James Forrest, again this is the same problem we have when we go 3 at the back, do we play Gray as the right wingback and omit Boyle, or go to a back 4 and play a RB and a winger, if Forrest doesn't start after scoring 4 goals he'll be mightily peed off.

Tynie01011973
08-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Leigh Griffiths has withdrawn from the squad - to concentrate on his fitness

🤔

Billy Whizz
08-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Leigh Griffiths has withdrawn from the squad - to concentrate on his fitness

🤔

Thrown his toys out his pram. Really poor from him

B.H.F.C
08-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Shocking attitude from Griffiths.

I know we hardly have loads of top strikers but he shouldn’t be asked back.

Centre Hawf
08-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Poor from Griffiths imo if he's throwing a strop. Except from his two goals Vs England I can't really say I've ever thought he's been great for us. In fact if you take away those 2 goals his record is quite abysmal. If it was Chris Martin or Jordan Rhodes we would probably question why he even gets a game. Naismith looked great last time out Vs Albania and should hold the starting spot for me going into the Israel game.

brog
08-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Poor from Griffiths imo if he's throwing a strop. Except from his two goals Vs England I can't really say I've ever thought he's been great for us. In fact if you take away those 2 goals his record is quite abysmal. If it was Chris Martin or Jordan Rhodes we would probably question why he even gets a game. Naismith looked great last time out Vs Albania and should hold the starting spot for me going into the Israel game.

I would look great against Albania!

Centre Hawf
08-10-2018, 01:15 PM
I would look great against Albania!

You say that but we're in their group for a reason...

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Probably the first time he's ever pulled out...

08-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Thought he had six bairns ?

Diclonius
09-10-2018, 09:29 AM
What is it with Scotland strikers taking the huff after they're not played? Get over it Griffiths.

makaveli1875
09-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Michael Stewart had some interesting thoughts on Griffiths

Pundit Stewart says he was led to believe staff ripped into Griffiths over his workrate against the Belgians, but insists the frontman was given a "thankless task" as he slaughtered Alex McLeish (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/alex-mcleish) 's decision to bin him for the following game.

Stewart told BBC Sportsound (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0079g4q): “Leigh Griffiths is for me, our number one striker and I can understand why he was annoyed.
“The game against Belgium was a thankless task. He’s playing up front on his own against the second best team in the world at that point and then he gets dropped for the Albania game.
“This is clearly off the back of the Belgium game where I am led to believe Griffiths was absolutely hammered in the changing room by the staff.”

Phil MaGlass
09-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Tell Scotland tae bolt, Griffiths, if that is the case

Peevemor
09-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Scotland coach Peter Grant insists there's "no issue" between manager Alex McLeish and Leigh Griffiths after the striker pulled out of his latest squad.

Griffiths withdrew from the squad, preparing to face Israel and Portugal, saying "I need to focus on my fitness".

He described being dropped to the bench against Albania last month as a "kick in the teeth".

But Grant says: "He's definitely not in the huff. There's 100% not an issue. He's just being honest."

Griffiths, who has scored four international goals in 19 appearances, started Celtic's 6-0 thrashing of St Johnstone on Sunday but was replaced by Scott Sinclair after 61 minutes of the Scottish Premiership game in Perth.

"He's had a great conversation with the manager, who he has spoken with at length," added Grant.

"Leigh has had his critics, but Alex has never been a critic. He knows what he can do and he knows he's an unbelievable finisher."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45787486

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Ryan Fraser has pulled out.

Should call up M.Boyle from Hibs, who I hear has been in great form....

Carheenlea
09-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Scottish International football players should be mindful of the hundreds of thousands of supporters desperate to see our country back at a major championship again. Pulling out of squads in a huff does nobody any favours other than the invidual himself. He sulks away while the rest of the squad try and do their best without arguably their best striker available for selection. Fabulous.

makaveli1875
09-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Scottish International football players should be mindful of the hundreds of thousands of supporters desperate to see our country back at a major championship again. Pulling out of squads in a huff does nobody any favours other than the invidual himself. He sulks away while the rest of the squad try and do their best without arguably their best striker available for selection. Fabulous.

The hundreds of thousands of supporters should be mindful that our manager is Alex McLeish and we wont be going to any world cups while he's in charge. If what Stewart is saying is true i doubt Griffiths will ever play for the GJP again and who could blame him .

Lago
09-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Frankly McLeish is quiet simply a stop gap as Scotland manager, should never have been appointed in the first place. Yesterday's man.

hfc rd
09-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Ryan Fraser has pulled out.

Should call up M.Boyle from Hibs, who I hear has been in great form....

We’ve lost him to Australia now

Ryan69
09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
We’ve lost him to Australia now

He is only at a training camp.

mjhibby
09-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Horrendous man management by McLeish. Griffiths is far and away our best striker and he is becoming a dinosaur of a manager. Without Griffiths we have no chance and If he was slaughtered after the Belgium game then that's just a total joke. Griffiths and mcginn are the only reason I'd watch highlights of a Scotland game. Also not picking a superbly on form Boyle who is in most people's team of the week in the papers is just nonsense. We aren't blessed with great players so not to pick Griffiths or Boyle is ridiculous. I'll give McLeish four games and hell be gone.

heretoday
09-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Is he not just wanting to spend more time with his families?

Col2
09-10-2018, 07:44 PM
McLeish alienating himself with some of our key players.

No surprise. Backwards step appointment and it will end in tears.

I still don’t know why we didn’t push the boat out for O’Neil or Steve Clarke

WeeRussell
10-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Horrendous man management by McLeish. Griffiths is far and away our best striker and he is becoming a dinosaur of a manager. Without Griffiths we have no chance and If he was slaughtered after the Belgium game then that's just a total joke. Griffiths and mcginn are the only reason I'd watch highlights of a Scotland game. Also not picking a superbly on form Boyle who is in most people's team of the week in the papers is just nonsense. We aren't blessed with great players so not to pick Griffiths or Boyle is ridiculous. I'll give McLeish four games and hell be gone.

Reading over your post, do you not think your opinion is tinted slightly in favour of anyone who has a connection with Hibs?

Seems to be a lot of bashing of McLeish on here.. whether or not he is the correct man to take us forward aside.. a lot choosing to ignore the main issue here which is Griffiths is being a fanny. Hibs fan and great striker or not.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Is he not just wanting to spend more time with his families?

😂

brog
10-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Reading over your post, do you not think your opinion is tinted slightly in favour of anyone who has a connection with Hibs?

Seems to be a lot of bashing of McLeish on here.. whether or not he is the correct man to take us forward aside.. a lot choosing to ignore the main issue here which is Griffiths is being a fanny. Hibs fan and great striker or not.

James McArthur just came in after a round of golf on my course in South London. He declined to be considered for the last 2 squads for exactly the same reason as Leigh. I don't recall anyone calling him a fanny for doing so.

bigwheel
10-10-2018, 02:13 PM
James McArthur just came in after a round of golf on my course in South London. He declined to be considered for the last 2 squads for exactly the same reason as Leigh. I don't recall anyone calling him a fanny for doing so.

fair point - although Griffiths does smack of a toys out of the pram act and also we are well covered in midfield, but very light up front - so the impact is felt more..

Centre Hawf
10-10-2018, 02:50 PM

He's a fanny for doing so. As is Griffiths.

brog
10-10-2018, 02:53 PM
fair point - although Griffiths does smack of a toys out of the pram act and also we are well covered in midfield, but very light up front - so the impact is felt more..

I agree but I suspect it's also the polarised opinions of the bigot brothers which result in LG' s actions being more closely scrutinised.

J-C
10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Griffiths was hung out to dry against arguably the 2nd best team in the world right now, he should've had the opportunity to prove himself in the next game against what was considered weaker opposition, if McLeish and Co, had a right go at him then I can understand where he's coming from.

ian cruise
10-10-2018, 06:02 PM
If Griffiths head or heart is not in it for this game then where is the harm in him excluding himself? If he has spoken to the manager about his reasons and the manager accepts this, then it's not toys out the pram.

Could have been as simple a conversation as "I'm having trouble at Celtic and I was disappointed with aspects of the feedback from the previous Scotland games. I'm not saying your wrong boss but I need some time to myself to go sort out my head".

jacomo
11-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Griffiths was hung out to dry against arguably the 2nd best team in the world right now, he should've had the opportunity to prove himself in the next game against what was considered weaker opposition, if McLeish and Co, had a right go at him then I can understand where he's coming from.

We don’t know that the management team had a go at him. We do know that Scotland beat Albania 2-0, which vindicates McLeish’s decisions whichever way you look at it.

Hopefully it’s all just a storm in a teacup.

WeeRussell
11-10-2018, 09:00 AM
If Griffiths head or heart is not in it for this game then where is the harm in him excluding himself? If he has spoken to the manager about his reasons and the manager accepts this, then it's not toys out the pram.

Could have been as simple a conversation as "I'm having trouble at Celtic and I was disappointed with aspects of the feedback from the previous Scotland games. I'm not saying your wrong boss but I need some time to myself to go sort out my head".

I doubt Leigh has ever used the word "aspects" in his life :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
11-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Whatever his reasons Leigh is correct in not wanting to be involved in that joke of a set up. Wish more Hibs players past present and future were similarly enlightened.

Bangkok Hibby
11-10-2018, 09:24 AM
The majority of Scottish football fans :confused:

Really?
I haven't given a toss about Scottish International football for a very long time and many people I speak to are of the same opinion. I would suggest the days of chest beating pride in our National team has long gone for the majority. As has been said it's the Scottish fan's teams which are more important. Weekly games, league position, European qualification, local rivalries, injuries, suspensions, transfers etc etc

G B Young
11-10-2018, 11:30 AM
McLeish alienating himself with some of our key players.

No surprise. Backwards step appointment and it will end in tears.

I still don’t know why we didn’t push the boat out for O’Neil or Steve Clarke

The boat WAS pushed out for O'Neill by SFA standards but it still wasn't enough to tempt him. He was offered a better deal with NI, although the bottom line was he just didn't fancy the Scotland job. I don't know if Clarke was even considered but given the job he's doing at Killie there will be far better jobs than the Scotland one coming his way.

G B Young
11-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Whatever his reasons Leigh is correct in not wanting to be involved in that joke of a set up. Wish more Hibs players past present and future were similarly enlightened.

According to Mulgrew, club managers are constantly encouraging players to pull out of the international squads:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/charlie-mulgrew-club-bosses-want-you-to-snub-international-football-1-4812613

Given his catastrophic spell in charge of Scotland I was surprised to see Levein lobbying so hard for Souttar to be called up a couple of months back, but in hindsight I suspect it was more about boosting the player's transfer value than being eager to see him play for his country.

California-Hibs
11-10-2018, 12:03 PM

What a really, really, daft comment.

hfc rd
11-10-2018, 12:45 PM
He is only at a training camp.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/martin-boyle-arnold-meeting-wooed-me-513823

Above pretty much sums up that we have lost Boyle to Australia. Arnold was more keen than McLeish was to get him on board. Also he has more of a chance of playing at major tournaments with the Aussies than he has with Scotland.

SteveHFC
11-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Same team tonight as the Albania game.

Golden Bear
11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
I've seen a couple of McLeish's pre match interviews and I can't for the life of me see how the players can be motivated by his ramblings. He's been talking up the opposition as if he's preparing the ground for a bad result.

Pathetic!!