PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

lord bunberry
14-09-2018, 09:32 PM
I’ve never really seen a thread on here about the greatest American sport. :wink:
I absolutely love the baseball and it’s my ambition to go to a game at some point. Wrigley Field would be my ultimate destination, but I think I’ll have to compromise and head to somewhere where I can take in a family holiday.
Anyway it’s the Yankees v The Red Sox this week, it’s great timing for me as I finish work around the time the games start.
who do you all fancy to win it this year? Houston are looking good and they’re my tip to win it again.

Haymaker
15-09-2018, 04:03 AM
There was a thread but it's probably lost in the depths.

Anyway, my Red Sox are going to win.

lord bunberry
15-09-2018, 08:44 AM
There was a thread but it's probably lost in the depths.

Anyway, my Red Sox are going to win.
They’re looking good.

Haymaker
15-09-2018, 01:17 PM
They’re looking good.

We weren't last night!

Sylar
15-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Red Sox have been superb this year. Lots of wins, some excellent pitching and bats tha haven't seemed to cool down. Regularly sweeping series and winning games very comfortably indeed.

But every time they have a series against another side that look playoff bound, they look a little less convincing. It's hard not to feel sorry for the Orioles fans this year. Wow, has their team been abysmal.

Red Sox vs Yankees in London next summer for anyone interested - Olympic Stadium :agree:

Haymaker
15-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Red Sox have been superb this year. Lots of wins, some excellent pitching and bats tha haven't seemed to cool down. Regularly sweeping series and winning games very comfortably indeed.

But every time they have a series against another side that look playoff bound, they look a little less convincing. It's hard not to feel sorry for the Orioles fans this year. Wow, has their team been abysmal.

Red Sox vs Yankees in London next summer for anyone interested - Olympic Stadium :agree:

The Red Sox have lost more games than Baltimore have won. That's awful!

DH1875
15-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Has that been confirmed? If so, what date?

DH1875
15-09-2018, 07:02 PM
I’ve never really seen a thread on here about the greatest American sport. :wink:
I absolutely love the baseball and it’s my ambition to go to a game at some point. Wrigley Field would be my ultimate destination, but I think I’ll have to compromise and head to somewhere where I can take in a family holiday.
Anyway it’s the Yankees v The Red Sox this week, it’s great timing for me as I finish work around the time the games start.
who do you all fancy to win it this year? Houston are looking good and they’re my tip to win it again.

I've been to see the Yankees play in New York. It was an amazing experience and had a fantastic time. Definitely recommend it :agree:

DH1875
15-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Haven't seen it as confirmed but see their looking at June next year if confirmed. Do you fancy meeting up if they go ahead? I might take advantage and hit London for a few days with the Mrs if your up for it :aok:

Haymaker
15-09-2018, 10:53 PM

Pretty sure it has been, I've got friends flying over?

Sylar
16-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Yeah, it's been confirmed - taking place June 29-30.

There's a link somewhere to register ticket interest. I'm on my phone, so don't have scope to paste it here!

Hibbyradge
16-09-2018, 05:05 PM
I've seen the Mets, the Yankees and the Red Socks and I watched the Chicago Cubs v The Brewers in Murphy's Bleachers bar across from Wrigley Field on the 15th of last month.

I think Fenway Park is my favourite stadium of those, but I can't really comment about WF as I've only walked around it.

hibsbollah
16-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Cubs.

heretoday
17-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Indians.

Sylar
10-10-2018, 08:43 AM
New York wanted Boston, New York got Boston :greengrin

Red Sox/Astros vs Brewers/Dodgers.

I can see a rematch from last year.

Haymaker
10-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Boston going all the way!

LancashireHibby
10-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Baseball was something that I’d never got my head round at all, couldn’t see the attraction. Then, when in Toronto over the summer, we’d booked tickets to see the Blue Jays just for the ‘experience’, expecting to see half an hour and have a couple of beers then sack it off. Ended up absolutely loving it - helped by watching a game on TV with a very patient and helpful bartender explaining the rules in a bar a couple of nights beforehand - and ended up going to their next home game a few days later. Not gone as far as staying up to watch the games on BT as yet but had Blue Jays score updates activated on Flash Scores.

Haymaker
11-10-2018, 12:22 AM
Baseball was something that I’d never got my head round at all, couldn’t see the attraction. Then, when in Toronto over the summer, we’d booked tickets to see the Blue Jays just for the ‘experience’, expecting to see half an hour and have a couple of beers then sack it off. Ended up absolutely loving it - helped by watching a game on TV with a very patient and helpful bartender explaining the rules in a bar a couple of nights beforehand - and ended up going to their next home game a few days later. Not gone as far as staying up to watch the games on BT as yet but had Blue Jays score updates activated on Flash Scores.

Like most non native sports it does help to have someone explain it to you. I had the same thing when I moved here to the US, now I'm not a expert but I get most of it.

I spent the whole of this summer explaining the difference between club and international football, what all the different lines mean on a field and so on.

The best was: "if you use your feet... why do you throw the ball in?"

G B Young
11-10-2018, 11:40 AM

I went to a game at Wrigley Field many years ago which has lived long in the memory. I'd say it's one of the most aesthetically lovely sports arenas anywhere. I've kept an eye on the Cubs ever since and thought it was amazing when they ended their 108-year World Series wait the same year Hibs finally won the Scottish Cup!

As you say, there's something special, almost romantic, about baseball. There's a good book called The Boys of Summer (by Roger Kahn) about the glory days of the Brooklyn Dodgers which really captures the soul of the game.

Haymaker
19-10-2018, 04:03 AM
Do Damage!

Haymaker
24-10-2018, 04:04 AM
1-0 red sox

Pete
24-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Can see this being a tight series, which hopefully goes down to the last game.

Not too bothered who wins though. Still a wee bit gutted that the Brewers aren’t there as I’d like to have seen them win it.

heretoday
25-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Can see this being a tight series, which hopefully goes down to the last game.

Not too bothered who wins though. Still a wee bit gutted that the Brewers aren’t there as I’d like to have seen them win it.

Looks like Sox. 4-1 I'd say.

Indians. Maybe next year......

Lancs Harp
25-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Looks like Sox. 4-1 I'd say.

Indians. Maybe next year......

Think similar, The Dodgers really need a home clean sweep now to take back to Boston, just cant see it, but you never know. My team the Tigers (due to having family in Michigan) had a stinker of a season.

heretoday
26-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Think similar, The Dodgers really need a home clean sweep now to take back to Boston, just cant see it, but you never know. My team the Tigers (due to having family in Michigan) had a stinker of a season.

Yup. I got into baseball during a period of illness in the nineties. Cleveland were a top team then with incredible hitting power - Manny Ramirez and Thome. Unfortunately the pitching let them down.

They used to show it on C5. I just thought it was amazing.

lord bunberry
27-10-2018, 12:40 AM
Strange line up from the Red Sox tonight. Dodgers might win this. No runs at the top of the 2nd.

lord bunberry
27-10-2018, 01:09 AM
1-0 the dodgers. Pederson with a home run.

Sylar
27-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Game is still going! Just after midnight in California.

Bottom 17th.

Haymaker
27-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Strange line up from the Red Sox tonight. Dodgers might win this. No runs at the top of the 2nd.

Playing NL rules so had to move/drop players to get JD in the batting line up.

lord bunberry
27-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Playing NL rules so had to move/drop players to get JD in the batting line up.

Yeah they explained that later on.

Lancs Harp
27-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Taking advantage of the clocks going back to catch the first hour tonight :wink:

Tornadoes70
28-10-2018, 01:22 AM
Taking advantage of the clocks going back to catch the first hour tonight :wink:

If anyone challenges your baseball knowledge you'll obviously have previously smashed a baseball two miles or so out of the ground? :greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Lancs Harp
28-10-2018, 01:25 AM
If anyone challenges your baseball knowledge you'll obviously have previously smashed a baseball two miles or so out of the ground? :greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Three miles at least, the day after my hole in one. It was a good weekend. :wink:

Tornadoes70
28-10-2018, 01:27 AM
Three miles at least, the day after my hole in one. It was a good weekend. :wink:

:thumbsup:

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Lancs Harp
28-10-2018, 01:31 AM
Stayed up all this time for the baseball, 4 innings in, still 0-0. :dizzy:

Haymaker
28-10-2018, 03:36 AM
3-1 Red Sox :hyper

Haymaker
29-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Yas!!!!! Let's go Boston!!!

lord bunberry
29-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Yas!!!!! Let's go Boston!!!
The only disappointment was it was over so quickly. The celebrations at the end were epic.

heretoday
31-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Cleveland. Maybe next year.... 😖

Sylar
29-11-2018, 09:13 PM
What the hell are MLBUK thinking with their pricing structure for the MLB London series? Cheapest tickets are £35 and they may as well be in Hyde Park.

Nothing in the bottom tier is under £200 (aside from the obstructed view seats in centre field!).

How NOT to attract a large crowd and grow the future fanbase of the game. You set the arena, you bring 2 of the biggest teams in the MLB over for a rivalry match, you hype it up years in advance with pre-events in Hyde Park, Regents Street etc and then you ****ing price everyone out of going! Sheer stupidity.

Haymaker
30-11-2018, 01:50 AM
Not really a surprise though S mate. Think they are overestimating the demand for Baseball.

Apparently I'm flying over for it all paid so... :greengrin

DH1875
01-12-2018, 08:39 AM
How much is a ticket for an IS game these days (haven't been since the Jets were here). Can't be much cheaper than £35.

DH1875
01-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Not really a surprise though S mate. Think they are overestimating the demand for Baseball.

Apparently I'm flying over for it all paid so... :greengrin

I'm not sure of the demand either. They would definitely sold out a one off game and could probably charged what they want but having the 2 games together will effect the ticket sales. The way the baseball schedule works they can't do anything about it though.

I'm still surprised the Redsox would give up 2 home games against the Yankees. Must be getting something out of it. Not even getting the publicity either as anything I've seen about it is all about the Yankees.

Think we are still going :greengrin

lord bunberry
01-12-2018, 07:05 PM
I would love to go to one of these games in London, but not as much as I’d like to go to one in America.

DH1875
03-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Think 1st phase of sales was today. Anyone get tickets?

Sylar
04-12-2018, 08:32 AM
By all accounts, the ticket sales yesterday were an absolute shambles. People who pre-registered didn't receive codes, Ticketmaster's system just kept spinning around and around. For many who did get in, the cheapest tickets they could access were £180+, with some signing in only to see £290 and £320 tickets available.

Also, every single ticket had a £20 service fee from TM (in addition to a £1.80 handling fee).

Imagine for a second that a family of four wanted to go to this game and sit in the lower tier of the stadium for a decent matchday experience? 4 * 320 for the tickets, plus 80 for the service charge...£1365 for a family of four to go to a baseball game...and that doesn't include the cost of getting there, possible accommodation and food, merch etc.

If you wanted a child's ticket, they were only available in the Category 8 or 9 seats (the cheap seats). If you wanted to take your kid to any other area of the stadium, you were paying the price of an adult. :grr:

And guess what happened to most of the cheap seats? Bought up by touts and appeared promptly on StubHub merely minutes later - one of them was a 4000% markup! :rolleyes:

MLBUK and Ticketmaster should be taking to task for how they've handled the entire thing. Disgraceful first foray into a European market.

Sylar
21-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Spring Training already coming to an end at the end of the week - some of the trades this off-season have been insane - Harper moves to Philly for crazy money, before Trout signs a monster deal with the Angels to keep him in LA for the next 12 years. All of this after Machado traded the Dodgers for the Padres. A combined $1 billion dollars spent on the three players!

Been an intriguing Spring Training so far. The World Champions have looked pretty lacklustre thus far, and their AL East rivals are currently romping the Grapefruit League - they've built an intimidating bullpen and rotation in the off-season and added some power at bat with the acquisition of Tulowitzki at SS.

First games of the regular season currently being played over in Tokyo right now - Mariners beat the A's last night and lead them again in the Top 3rd, in what could be Ichiro's last ever MLB game.

Anyone else following this year? My predictions:

AL East: Yankees - too much power and too much depth in their bullpen
AL Central: Indians - there's very little else of note in this division this year.
AL West: Hard to not pick the Astros, but if the Athletics can keep their starting rotation healthy, it could be a close run thing.

AL Wildcards: Red Sox and A's.

ALCS: Yankees over Astros

NL East: Nationals - I think they'll thrive without Harper.
NL Central: Anyone not picking the Cubs here? Having a healthy Bryant back will help them.
NL West: Dodgers - too much talent to not be in contention again.

NL Wildcards: Braves, Brewers

NLCS: Cubs over Dodgers

World Series: Yankees over Cubs.

hibsbollah
21-03-2019, 12:02 PM
Spring Training already coming to an end at the end of the week - some of the trades this off-season have been insane - Harper moves to Philly for crazy money, before Trout signs a monster deal with the Angels to keep him in LA for the next 12 years. All of this after Machado traded the Dodgers for the Padres. A combined $1 billion dollars spent on the three players!

Been an intriguing Spring Training so far. The World Champions have looked pretty lacklustre thus far, and their AL East rivals are currently romping the Grapefruit League - they've built an intimidating bullpen and rotation in the off-season and added some power at bat with the acquisition of Tulowitzki at SS.

First games of the regular season currently being played over in Tokyo right now - Mariners beat the A's last night and lead them again in the Top 3rd, in what could be Ichiro's last ever MLB game.

Anyone else following this year? My predictions:

AL East: Yankees - too much power and too much depth in their bullpen
AL Central: Indians - there's very little else of note in this division this year.
AL West: Hard to not pick the Astros, but if the Athletics can keep their starting rotation healthy, it could be a close run thing.

AL Wildcards: Red Sox and A's.

ALCS: Yankees over Astros

NL East: Nationals - I think they'll thrive without Harper.
NL Central: Anyone not picking the Cubs here? Having a healthy Bryant back will help them.
NL West: Dodgers - too much talent to not be in contention again.

NL Wildcards: Braves, Brewers

NLCS: Cubs over Dodgers

World Series: Yankees over Cubs.

Aren't you a Tigers fan?

Baseball is one of those sports where I can get a decent knowledge of the team I follow but if it's not the Cubs I've got no real interest or knowledge. Ive heard of Trout and know he's a marquee player but I couldn't tell you what position he plays.

Can I divert you with a question S? When I lived in the US and watched baseball the bunt was a bit part of the game, followed by a base runner stealing second. I used to enjoy the quirkiness of the technique. I rarely see anyone bunt these days so much. Is there a reason for this?

Sylar
21-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Aren't you a Tigers fan?

Baseball is one of those sports where I can get a decent knowledge of the team I follow but if it's not the Cubs I've got no real interest or knowledge. Ive heard of Trout and know he's a marquee player but I couldn't tell you what position he plays.

Can I divert you with a question S? When I lived in the US and watched baseball the bunt was a bit part of the game, followed by a base runner stealing second. I used to enjoy the quirkiness of the technique. I rarely see anyone bunt these days so much. Is there a reason for this?

I am a Tigers fan of sorts - I went to see them a lot when I was studying over in Michigan. Predating that, I'm a Red Sox fan through the time I spent growing up in the New England area. I was actually primarily a Pawtucket Red Sox fan, but it was nigh on impossible to keep following them when I moved back over here, so I started watching Boston instead (around the late 90s, same time I started following the Pats). I'd also say I have a soft spot for the SF Giants - I've been going to conferences in San Francisco since 2009, and now I spend half of my working year in the Bay Area, so I find myself keeping my eyes on those games too.

It's certainly hard to keep following the entire league, and I do find myself being unable to keep up with certain teams. I'm kinda the same with the NFL to be honest - there's a lot of teams I know very little about apart from their absolute marquee players.

I think the bunt has diminished as the quality and athleticism of the players has improved. You still see them from time to time, but the infield players on most teams can track down a bunt and hit 1st pretty quickly - most players are capable of contact baseball, so in a situation where you're just trying to advance the runner, the outcome of a swing at the ball is less predictable and actionable than a bunt? That's purely a gut feeling though...

Sorry for the long reply :greengrin

hibsbollah
21-03-2019, 12:56 PM
I am a Tigers fan of sorts - I went to see them a lot when I was studying over in Michigan. Predating that, I'm a Red Sox fan through the time I spent growing up in the New England area. I was actually primarily a Pawtucket Red Sox fan, but it was nigh on impossible to keep following them when I moved back over here, so I started watching Boston instead (around the late 90s, same time I started following the Pats). I'd also say I have a soft spot for the SF Giants - I've been going to conferences in San Francisco since 2009, and now I spend half of my working year in the Bay Area, so I find myself keeping my eyes on those games too.

It's certainly hard to keep following the entire league, and I do find myself being unable to keep up with certain teams. I'm kinda the same with the NFL to be honest - there's a lot of teams I know very little about apart from their absolute marquee players.

I think the bunt has diminished as the quality and athleticism of the players has improved. You still see them from time to time, but the infield players on most teams can track down a bunt and hit 1st pretty quickly - most players are capable of contact baseball, so in a situation where you're just trying to advance the runner, the outcome of a swing at the ball is less predictable and actionable than a bunt? That's purely a gut feeling though...

Sorry for the long reply :greengrin

:aok:Makes sense. More athleticism.

Saturday Boy
21-03-2019, 01:21 PM

That’s disappointing to hear.

One of the things that I always loved about baseball was the fact that it’s the only sport where overweight middle aged men could be stars 😄

Shrekko
21-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Don’t think infielders are more athletic that they used to be... possibly less so actually with some outfield sluggers being converted to 1st basemen to fit them into the line up.

The actual answer to your question is probably highly predictable as it’s baseball.... sabremetrics. Sacrifice bunting is far less popular these days as stats have shown that there’s a higher probability of getting a man in from 1st with no outs compared to a man on 2nd out with one out, so ‘outs’ are no longer being given away for free. This has resulted in players being asked to do it less and therefore less players developing it as a specialism.... it’s way harder than it looks apparently. ‘Power’ is also back with home runs on the increase and managers banking on them.

As far as players bunting for hits goes, it’s more to do with fewer hitters having the speed to do it and again there just being less demand from managers for that type of player. Lead off hitters these days for instance are more likely to try and hit a home run than try to bunt for a hit then steal 2nd. Ironically an exception is that some big sluggers have become adept at bunting for hits to counter ‘the shift’ where all the infielders move to one side and away from their traditional positions and simply try and cover where the hitter normally smacks the ball. Sometimes these guys simply roll it to the other side of the diamond with no pace and easily reach base ... sometimes get 2 bases.

Tell you something else ... Sylar was certainly a diehard Detroit fan a few years ago when he used to comment on baseball here... when they were doing well! 😁

Sylar
21-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Don’t think infielders are more athletic that they used to be... possibly less so actually with some outfield sluggers being converted to 1st basemen to fit them into the line up.

The actual answer to your question is probably highly predictable as it’s baseball.... sabremetrics. Sacrifice bunting is far less popular these days as stats have shown that there’s a higher probability of getting a man in from 1st with no outs compared to a man on 2nd out with one out, so ‘outs’ are no longer being given away for free. This has resulted in players being asked to do it less and therefore less players developing it as a specialism.... it’s way harder than it looks apparently. ‘Power’ is also back with home runs on the increase and managers banking on them.

As far as players bunting for hits goes, it’s more to do with fewer hitters having the speed to do it and again there just being less demand from managers for that type of player. Lead off hitters these days for instance are more likely to try and hit a home run than try to bunt for a hit then steal 2nd. Ironically an exception is that some big sluggers have become adept at bunting for hits to counter ‘the shift’ where all the infielders move to one side and away from their traditional positions and simply try and cover where the hitter normally smacks the ball. Sometimes these guys simply roll it to the other side of the diamond with no pace and easily reach base ... sometimes get 2 bases.

Tell you something else ... Sylar was certainly a diehard Detroit fan a few years ago when he used to comment on baseball here... when they were doing well! 😁

Something I don't deny to this day, as I explained in my earlier post :confused:. I just love the sport, and the 'of sorts' remark is because it would be disingenuous of me to dismiss my connections to the Red Sox (which predate my time in Michigan) or my interest in San Fran (which is quite new and geographical).

I've still been to Commerica more times (about 15) than I've been to Fenway (1), but I used to go weekly to watch the Pawsox when I was living up that way. I've actually been to AT&T (or Oracle Park as we're calling it now) more (7) than I've been to Fenway.

Detroit "doing well" was somewhat flash-in-the-pan stuff - 2 seasons when Ordonez, Rodriguez, Avila, Inge et al peaked and we had a rotation that featured Verlander, Porcello, Fister, Scherzer etc...I started going to watch Detroit well before those days, granted, in 2006 when we lost to St Louis in the WS - I was hooked as soon as I watched Joel Zumaya hurl 3 back to back K's with 100mph+ on the gun a number of times.

And I'd disagree with your assessment that infielders aren't necessarily fitter - gone are the days of Fielder size players occupying 3rd base (the dominant bunt side). Most 3rd basemen are pretty athletic these days - sure, you still get the odd larger 1st basemen, but some of the arms that sit at 3rd in the league now are truly frightening. But predictability is also a factor.

Haymaker
21-03-2019, 09:21 PM
We're not going well but it's preseason and there's a long way to go for our repeat.

Shrekko
21-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Something I don't deny to this day, as I explained in my earlier post :confused:. I just love the sport, and the 'of sorts' remark is because it would be disingenuous of me to dismiss my connections to the Red Sox (which predate my time in Michigan) or my interest in San Fran (which is quite new and geographical).

I've still been to Commerica more times (about 15) than I've been to Fenway (1), but I used to go weekly to watch the Pawsox when I was living up that way. I've actually been to AT&T (or Oracle Park as we're calling it now) more (7) than I've been to Fenway.

Detroit "doing well" was somewhat flash-in-the-pan stuff - 2 seasons when Ordonez, Rodriguez, Avila, Inge et al peaked and we had a rotation that featured Verlander, Porcello, Fister, Scherzer etc...I started going to watch Detroit well before those days, granted, in 2006 when we lost to St Louis in the WS - I was hooked as soon as I watched Joel Zumaya hurl 3 back to back K's with 100mph+ on the gun a number of times.

And I'd disagree with your assessment that infielders aren't necessarily fitter - gone are the days of Fielder size players occupying 3rd base (the dominant bunt side). Most 3rd basemen are pretty athletic these days - sure, you still get the odd larger 1st basemen, but some of the arms that sit at 3rd in the league now are truly frightening. But predictability is also a factor.

I’m just pulling your chain mate��

Just for your info though.... Prince Fielder wasnt a 3rd baseman and there isn’t a ‘dominant’ bunting side either- that is just not true as it depends on the situation and whether a player is left or right handed.

You can argue about athleticism, and i think you’re wrong anyway, but whether they are or are not ...that is 100 percent nothing to do with why there are less bunts these days.... Its down to statistical analysis of their effectiveness I can assure you.

Red Sox were easily the top team in MLB last season ahead of an outstanding Yankees team... nothing has changed in their line up so can’t see why they’re not current favourites but ultimately injuries will play a big part in who is successful.

hibsbollah
21-03-2019, 10:44 PM
As far as players bunting for hits goes, it’s more to do with fewer hitters having the speed to do it and again there just being less demand from managers for that type of player.

I found your reply quite informative but I'm not sure about this bit, surely there are more players now with the necessary speed?! Analytics have changed things, I agree, but that doesn't in itself explain the change in demand for that type of player.

Shrekko
22-03-2019, 12:34 AM
I found your reply quite informative but I'm not sure about this bit, surely there are more players now with the necessary speed?! Analytics have changed things, I agree, but that doesn't in itself explain the change in demand for that type of player.

Because of the shift in priorities towards power there are less opportunities for spark plug type players ... small, speedy, athletic slap hitters who field well. I’m sure they still exist but there are less of them with starting jobs in mlb. If you get a guy who can do all that plus hit for power.... Mookie Betts for instance, then you have a superstar. But generally you look at guys at the moment hitting lead off and number 2 and they are not the same sort of guys who did it previously. Lead off guys like Jose Reyes 10 years ago who could bunt for a hit then steal 2nd are much rarer.

hibsbollah
22-03-2019, 09:32 AM
This is what I call a bunt

https://youtu.be/L58QN-kUlPo

DH1875
23-03-2019, 09:26 PM

:shhhsh!::shhhsh!::shhhsh!: Its confusing following all these different teams, and its no just the baseball. How many NCAA teams is it now, 3? And lets not forget, you still a livingston fan lol.

Sorry bud, couldn't help myself :aok:.

Sylar
25-03-2019, 09:17 AM
:shhhsh!::shhhsh!::shhhsh!: Its confusing following all these different teams, and its no just the baseball. How many NCAA teams is it now, 3? And lets not forget, you still a livingston fan lol.

Sorry bud, couldn't help myself :aok:.

2, ya dick :greengrin - my alma mater and my current employer.

Quite alright - I'd expect nothing less from you (ya dick) :greengrin

DH1875
25-03-2019, 01:08 PM
2, ya dick :greengrin - my alma mater and my current employer.

Quite alright - I'd expect nothing less from you (ya dick) :greengrin

:aok:

Could have sworn it was 3 though :greengrin.

Sylar
25-03-2019, 01:58 PM
:aok:

Could have sworn it was 3 though :greengrin.

You're not technically incorrect, but the 3rd team changes on a weekly basis depending on who Ohio State are playing :greengrin

Pete
04-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Excellent start from Tampa Bay. Best in franchise history apparently.

Watch this space 👍🏼

DH1875
04-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Anyone been watching the Yankees recently? I don't really follow the regular season that much but the NYY have been on BT sports a few times the last couple of weeks and I'm struggling big time :confused:.

Shrekko
06-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Anyone been watching the Yankees recently? I don't really follow the regular season that much but the NYY have been on BT sports a few times the last couple of weeks and I'm struggling big time :confused:.

Yes I have.

In what way are you struggling?

heretoday
16-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Come on The Tribe. This year surely?

Haymaker
09-07-2019, 02:24 AM
Home Run Derby has been insane

Bangkok Hibby
10-07-2019, 06:10 AM

Like you I didnt understand it but went to a USA v Japan game in some tournament in Holland years ago. A few hours of my life I'll never get back. Hated the whole experience and swore never to repeat it. I understand the crowd makes the experience but the game? Nah!

heretoday
10-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Like you I didnt understand it but went to a USA v Japan game in some tournament in Holland years ago. A few hours of my life I'll never get back. Hated the whole experience and swore never to repeat it. I understand the crowd makes the experience but the game? Nah!

Oh well. You either get it or you don't. I find it a bit similar to cricket which I happen to like, or used to before the one-day game took over. You've gotta have patience and a few beers to hand.

Bangkok Hibby
10-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Oh well. You either get it or you don't. I find it a bit similar to cricket which I happen to like, or used to before the one-day game took over. You've gotta have patience and a few beers to hand.

Ok so there's the difference. Even though I played cricket at school I absolutely hate the 5 day game. Baseball is kind of samey for me.

Edit...I enjoy one day cricket

NOLA
12-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Enjoyed the home run derby [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
28-07-2019, 06:39 PM
After being neck and neck with the Yankees for so long, it looks like Tampa Bay have chucked it. Too far back and Boston look like they’re coming onto a game.

The three way fight between the Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers is worth keeping an eye on. One game in it now.

Haymaker
28-07-2019, 09:32 PM
After being neck and neck with the Yankees for so long, it looks like Tampa Bay have chucked it. Too far back and Boston look like they’re coming onto a game.

The three way fight between the Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers is worth keeping an eye on. One game in it now.

It would certainly be fun to see the Yankees blow it... Especially as I am the only Red Sox in a Yankee town! :greengrin

Haymaker
29-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Although, Chris sales form is awful this season.

hibsbollah
21-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Tremendous battle at Wrigley tonight, the Cubs hanging on to wild card hopes against bitter rivals St Louis. Crowd in it, tense. 2-1 cubs in the first as the cardinals pitcher Hudson having major accuracy issues.

DH1875
21-09-2019, 11:11 PM
Yes I have.

In what way are you struggling?

The line up. At the time of posting I hardly knew who any of them were. All coming good now though :aok:

Pete
22-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Tremendous battle at Wrigley tonight, the Cubs hanging on to wild card hopes against bitter rivals St Louis. Crowd in it, tense. 2-1 cubs in the first as the cardinals pitcher Hudson having major accuracy issues.

Oh dear. The Cubs need to start winning..and quickly.

Meanwhile over on the other side Cleveland blink first and the Rays walk off against Boston for the second time. A’s v Indians is my shout though.

hibsbollah
22-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Oh dear. The Cubs need to start winning..and quickly.

Meanwhile over on the other side Cleveland blink first and the Rays walk off against Boston for the second time. A’s v Indians is my shout though.

I think the As and the Devil Ray's.
The Cubs have blown it now. They finish off with a seven game stretch on the road, I can't see the brewers faltering.

DH1875
06-10-2019, 12:43 AM
Yankees 2 games up. Interesting fact, Yankees had 30 players on the AL at one point during the season. Amazing.
Our ball girls look like dudes though.

Haymaker
06-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Yankees 2 games up. Interesting fact, Yankees had 30 players on the AL at one point during the season. Amazing.
Our ball girls look like dudes though.

**** the Yankee bitches.

DH1875
06-10-2019, 07:43 PM
**** the Yankee bitches.

:tee hee::tee hee::tee hee: hiya pal :bye:

Haymaker
09-10-2019, 12:25 AM
:tee hee::tee hee::tee hee: hiya pal :bye:

Hi DH :greengrin

Haymaker
16-10-2019, 11:11 PM
I'd love to see the Nats win it just because I hate Bryce Harper and it would be hilarious.

Haymaker
20-10-2019, 04:22 AM
Hiya DH... how them yankees doing? :greengrin

Haymaker
24-10-2019, 04:11 AM
Well the Astros totally **** the bed at home.

Pete
30-10-2019, 11:16 PM
Last game tonight but can't be bothered staying up. Too tired.

I can see the Astros doing it as karma for that annoying baby shark nonsense.

Haymaker
31-10-2019, 03:14 AM
Bryce Harper must be raging :faf:

heretoday
02-11-2019, 08:59 AM
The Nats deserved it just for booing Trump.

Haymaker
22-01-2020, 12:28 AM
Whoever it was that didn't vote for Jeter should win an award for some top ****housing.

Hilarious listening to all the butt hurt yankees at the boozer.

Haymaker
21-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Just joined a fantasy baseball league. I have no idea what I am doing.

Sylar
21-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Just joined a fantasy baseball league. I have no idea what I am doing.

I tried it once, since I really enjoyed fantasy NFL and football, and I do follow baseball. But you REALLY need to follow baseball to be good at this, paying attention to almost daily form in some instances, depending which platform you use.

Don't let your participation in that take your eyes off the ball when it comes to NFL draft!

Haymaker
21-02-2020, 04:06 PM
I tried it once, since I really enjoyed fantasy NFL and football, and I do follow baseball. But you REALLY need to follow baseball to be good at this, paying attention to almost daily form in some instances, depending which platform you use.

Don't let your participation in that take your eyes off the ball when it comes to NFL draft!

Everyone in the league is a beginner at Fantasy Baseball so hopefully I'll be ok.

And don't worry, I won't!

allyhibee
22-02-2020, 02:03 AM
Everyone in the league is a beginner at Fantasy Baseball so hopefully I'll be ok.

And don't worry, I won't!

Been playing fantasy baseball for a few years, found I had more success targeting stud SPs in the early rounds of the draft although Chris Sale was murder last season for my team. Want a couple reliable closers to get saves because those aren't easy to pick up during the season.

Anyone else excited for Spring Training? Hibs followed by first Jays game of the year is setting up to be a decent Saturday afternoon for me!

Haymaker
22-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Been playing fantasy baseball for a few years, found I had more success targeting stud SPs in the early rounds of the draft although Chris Sale was murder last season for my team. Want a couple reliable closers to get saves because those aren't easy to pick up during the season.

Anyone else excited for Spring Training? Hibs followed by first Jays game of the year is setting up to be a decent Saturday afternoon for me!

Thanks!

I would be excited but my Red Sox have **** the bed this off season and handed the division to the damned Yankees already.

allyhibee
24-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Thanks!

I would be excited but my Red Sox have **** the bed this off season and handed the division to the damned Yankees already.

Going to be a rough season for the Red Sox by the looks of it! You have to figure they were told he wasn't going to sign there because trading away Mookie Betts is pretty insane. The farm system is bare too, could maybe be heading into a bit of a mini rebuild season?

Haymaker
24-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Going to be a rough season for the Red Sox by the looks of it! You have to figure they were told he wasn't going to sign there because trading away Mookie Betts is pretty insane. The farm system is bare too, could maybe be heading into a bit of a mini rebuild season?

Owner has said he doesn't want to pay the big bucks. So we can expect a few poor seasons!

allyhibee
25-02-2020, 01:02 AM
Owner has said he doesn't want to pay the big bucks. So we can expect a few poor seasons!

Was always going to be the case after going all in for 2018. They will still be top 3 in the league for wage bill and you can only be so bad with Devers, Benitendi and Bogaerts! Wonder what punishment is coming, worse than Astros?

Haymaker
25-02-2020, 02:16 AM
Was always going to be the case after going all in for 2018. They will still be top 3 in the league for wage bill and you can only be so bad with Devers, Benitendi and Bogaerts! Wonder what punishment is coming, worse than Astros?

Not sure, if I remember correctly we were investigated for it during that season so not sure.

Still... long season ahead.

I hope someone pumps the Yankees!!