PDA

View Full Version : Musicians and bands you won't hear a bad word about

Northernhibee
14-09-2018, 08:00 PM
There's loads of bands I love but will admit that they've had a bad album or have a major flaw - there are a small handful that I would say are perfect in their output.

Björk is one of them - Debut and Post were outstanding, Homogenic an all time classic and even in her more recent years has released some very challenging music that is still pushing what she does to the limit. Seen her live earlier this year and its one of the very best things I've seen.

Idles are flawless. an outstanding band who deserve their recent success and much more.

How about yourselves?

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2018, 08:10 PM
The Snuts.

Mibbes Aye
14-09-2018, 08:10 PM
There's loads of bands I love but will admit that they've had a bad album or have a major flaw - there are a small handful that I would say are perfect in their output.

Björk is one of them - Debut and Post were outstanding, Homogenic an all time classic and even in her more recent years has released some very challenging music that is still pushing what she does to the limit. Seen her live earlier this year and its one of the very best things I've seen.

Idles are flawless. an outstanding band who deserve their recent success and much more.

How about yourselves?

Good thread.

i don’t listen to them very much now, was a big listener in my late teens and early twenties but every album by the Doors still stands up for me. They did the early exciting bit, did the ‘resting on their laurels’ bit, did the wee bit more experimental bit then did the bloated bit at the end where they were still knocking out fresh songs.

Six proper albums and each one has its merits and I probably change my mind about my favourite every time I think of them.

When I was younger I used to work in a record shop, proper vinyl record shop, clientele were mostly seventies rock, prog, folk fans. One of our regulars described the Doors as the world’s greatest pub band. I didn’t get it at the time but do now.

Mibbes Aye
14-09-2018, 08:19 PM

How about yourselves?

My other shout would be the Smiths.

As with the Doors I think I’ve had every album as my favourite at some point. Also one of the rare few bands who released compilation albums that sounded like proper albums.

My instinct is always to resort to “Meat is Murder” but they were in their absolute pomp with “The Queen Is Dead. First couple of albums were full of energy and “Hatful of Hollow” stands up for the sheer quality throughout it. If that’s a compilation album, then folk should stop releasing studio albums.....

Later albums were good too though and sometimes I get in the mood where “Strangeways” sounds like their best work.

beensaidbefore
14-09-2018, 08:33 PM
The goodies...

lord bunberry
14-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Ultra Sonic

MSK
15-09-2018, 07:35 AM
The Cure

Green Man
15-09-2018, 08:27 AM
My other shout would be the Smiths.

As with the Doors I think I’ve had every album as my favourite at some point. Also one of the rare few bands who released compilation albums that sounded like proper albums.

My instinct is always to resort to “Meat is Murder” but they were in their absolute pomp with “The Queen Is Dead. First couple of albums were full of energy and “Hatful of Hollow” stands up for the sheer quality throughout it. If that’s a compilation album, then folk should stop releasing studio albums.....

Later albums were good too though and sometimes I get in the mood where “Strangeways” sounds like their best work.

I agree about how good The Smiths were, every album is brilliant. I’ve got plenty of bad words for Morrissey though.

Frazerbob
15-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Prince. The man was a genius.

Northernhibee
15-09-2018, 11:14 AM
I agree about how good The Smiths were, every album is brilliant. I’ve got plenty of bad words for Morrissey though.

Moz is murder.

Pretty Boy
15-09-2018, 12:26 PM
I find it hard to criticise Damon Albarn. He could have quite happily just churned out another Blur by numbers album every couple of years and made a fortune but he's constantly tried new things and generally had an output that ranges from decent to excellent (and still made a fortune admittedly).

There's nothing worse than bands who release albums and you can hear the boredom and apathy coming through loud and clear.

Smartie
16-09-2018, 07:49 AM
The Beastie Boys.

frazeHFC
16-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Out of the 28 DMAS songs there's genuinely not a single one I dislike. Obviously it's an acquired taste but to me they're the perfect band.

matty_f
16-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Noel Gallagher, Belle & Sebastian, and James are probably the ones I'd always stick up for.

MSK
16-09-2018, 03:56 PM
The Mavericks

Galahibby
16-09-2018, 06:26 PM

How about yourselves?

Queen :wink:

(Not the current imposters, but the real deal)

overdrive
16-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Out of the 28 DMAS songs there's genuinely not a single one I dislike. Obviously it's an acquired taste but to me they're the perfect band.

I’d agree to an extent but I don’t think their latest stuff is quite as good as their earlier stuff. Still good though.

johnbc70
16-09-2018, 07:13 PM
I’d agree to an extent but I don’t think their latest stuff is quite as good as their earlier stuff. Still good though.

Is this the band that did the cover of Believe?

Not heard any other stuff but that cover is cracking. I did read if you liked Oasis you would like them. Need to get some songs on and see what I think.

Mango Man
16-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Cardiacs, the best band you have never heard of.

overdrive
17-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Is this the band that did the cover of Believe?

Not heard any other stuff but that cover is cracking. I did read if you liked Oasis you would like them. Need to get some songs on and see what I think.

That’s them.

heretoday
18-09-2018, 01:15 AM
I find it hard to criticise Damon Albarn. He could have quite happily just churned out another Blur by numbers album every couple of years and made a fortune but he's constantly tried new things and generally had an output that ranges from decent to excellent (and still made a fortune admittedly).

There's nothing worse than bands who release albums and you can hear the boredom and apathy coming through loud and clear.

Some of the Gorillaz stuff is sublime. Others not so good.

WeeRussell
18-09-2018, 03:30 AM
Cardiacs, the best band you have never heard of.

‘Tribes’ for me.

I’ll check yours out though.

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Well let me think........:wink:

The Modfather
19-09-2018, 09:48 AM
The Jam
Paul Weller
The Who
The Beatles
The Proclaimers

Most band beginning with “The” it would appear. Not the “The The’s” though 😀

Jay
19-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Queen :wink:

(Not the current imposters, but the real deal)

I saw Adam Lambert and Queen last year. Hes no imposter.

frazeHFC
21-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Initially I thought that but now I much prefer the newer stuff. For Now album is on repeat in my car.

Cannae wait for another double header in December.

Hibby70
21-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Prince. The man was a genius.

Prince was a genius and the best performer I have ever seen
But he released some utter dross at times.

overdrive
22-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Other than Oasis, my favourite band of all time, following my post on the other thread, Biffy Clyro. Always loved them. Their lyrics have now taken on a deeper meaning for me over the last couple of months.

Another band I’d bring up is Feeder. Pre and post Echo Park is sublime. Yesterday Went Too Soon and Just a Day* are up there in my favourite 10 songs. I think they must be the band I’ve seen live most often.

*Just a Day is the anthem of my coming of age.

Sir David Gray
23-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Eminem.

Absolute genius with a mic and a pen.

He did sort of lose his way over the past 10 years or so but his Kamikaze album is up there as one of his best in my opinion.

To still be at the top of his game after almost 20 years is almost unheard of in the hip hop industry.

goosano
24-09-2018, 02:32 AM
Tom Waits

heretoday
24-09-2018, 09:23 AM
The Doors. I won't hear a word about them.

Galahibby
30-09-2018, 12:58 PM
I saw Adam Lambert and Queen last year. Hes no imposter.

My post was as much aimed at Roger and Brian as Adam Lambert, and nowhere did I say he wasn't talented. They're just not Queen without Freddie and John. If I went on tour with Paul and Ringo, no matter how good I was, it wouldn't make us the Beatles :wink:

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 07:03 PM
My post was as much aimed at Roger and Brian as Adam Lambert, and nowhere did I say he wasn't talented. They're just not Queen without Freddie and John. If I went on tour with Paul and Ringo, no matter how good I was, it wouldn't make us the Beatles :wink:

I too saw them with Adam Lambert last year in Manchester, my tickets said Queen and Adam Lambert, the signage outside was the same, and it was every bit as good, yes different but just as good as Queen with Freddie who i saw many times over the years.

It's going to a be a little difficult to get the original members back for a concert anytime soon, with John Deacon retired and Freddie well dead. :wink:

This version of Queen do a bloody good job of keeping the music alive, and if they tour again next year, i will be out buying another ticket to watch a superb band. :greengrin

Galahibby
02-10-2018, 08:16 PM
It's going to a be a little difficult to get the original members back for a concert anytime soon, with John Deacon retired and Freddie well dead. :wink:

Wait, WHAT??? :wink:

This version of Queen do a bloody good job of keeping the music alive, and if they tour again next year, i will be out buying another ticket to watch a superb band. :greengrin

Each to their own, and I hope if they do, and you do, you enjoy it. My own opinion is their music will live for ever anyway without Brian and Roger milking it for every last penny they can.

Peace ✌️

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Wait, WHAT??? :wink:

Each to their own, and I hope if they do, and you do, you enjoy it. My own opinion is their music will live for ever anyway without Brian and Roger milking it for every last penny they can.

Peace ✌️

Aye you are right their music will live for ever, but i do have to say that the shows they put on now, surpass anything they did previously.

And i say that as someone who's seen them at Knebworth way down to the playhouse. Of course Freddie was brilliant, but i still get huge enjoyment in watching what's left of the band, and i cant think of another band who are still playing sell out tours when their singer died 27 years ago? :greengrin

MrRobot
22-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Rage Against the Machine :not worth

heretoday
22-10-2018, 06:46 PM
The Kinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQetbyueIWg

The Green Goblin
22-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Prince was a genius But he released some utter dross at times.

Record company interference/veto. Source: the horse’s mouth.

Hiber-nation
23-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Judee Sill. 2 albums in the early 70s, sandwiched into a short life of addiction, violence and abuse.

Some of her music is as beautiful as anything you'll hear.

Alfiembra
23-10-2018, 10:39 AM
The Doors. I won't hear a word about them.

Open and shut case I would say :greengrin

Smartie
23-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Open and shut case I would say :greengrin

You have a reasonable handle on the situation.

Alfiembra
23-10-2018, 11:34 AM
You have a reasonable handle on the situation.

I have admired them from ajar for a long time.

Frazerbob
23-10-2018, 12:40 PM
FFS another decent thread ruined by the pun pish.

Smartie
23-10-2018, 03:17 PM
FFS another decent thread ruined by the pun pish.

Do you want one of the admins to lock it?

matty_f
24-10-2018, 06:27 AM
Do you want one of the admins to lock it?

Don't be a knob. :greengrin

Seriously though, there's only a couple of puns on the thread, hardly 'ruined' material just yet, so if we get back on topic everyone can still be happy.

O'Rourke3
24-10-2018, 10:12 PM
10cc. Just back from the Usher Hall. Not the original band but the albums that band made were nearly perfect.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Smartie
24-10-2018, 10:53 PM
I found my heckles rise when Ian Brown and the Stone Roses were mentioned on the room 101 thread.

What?

Why?

Tornadoes70
24-10-2018, 11:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISPgbosZUw

Countless possibles. However had to opt for the King!

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Dalianwanda
25-10-2018, 10:56 AM
These days with so much about, simple digital downloads & streaming I couldn't even name the names of half the albums or artists Im listening too & loving....The Smith & Prince as already mentioned but I'd also have to say LCD Soundsystem...Love everything they have done & every gig of theirs I have been to has been memorable for different reasons (I did get pissed off at their quick turn around quit/reform but I'll let them off). Once I post this another 2 or 3 will probably pop into my head.

Babyshamble
26-10-2018, 02:49 AM
Pete doherty.babyshambles. The Libertines