PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2018

Sir David Gray
02-07-2018, 09:10 AM
A wee break from the 100% football fix we've all had over the last 2 weeks. Wimbledon 2018 starts today and although Andy Murray will sadly not be taking part, it will hopefully be another enjoyable tournament at SW19.

Personally can't see past Roger Federer adding to his tally of Grand Slam titles although perhaps his shock defeat in the final of Halle a week ago may just have cast some doubt in his mind?

He opens up play on Centre Court today at 1pm against Dusan Lajovic.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Watching Federer just now. The man is the definition of class

heretoday
04-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Watching Federer just now. The man is the definition of class

He swatted Lacko aside today in fine style. Gets better and better.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Federer beaten

Speedy
13-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Could be here all night with this one.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2018, 05:42 PM
This is brilliant, anyone else watching?

After 5 and a half hours it's currently 15-15 in the deciding set.

Still Nadal v Djokovic to come too!

sleeping giant
13-07-2018, 05:57 PM
17-18 now.

Mental stuff

iwasthere1972
13-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Absolutely crazy. Six hours on court and still no end in sight. Be better telling Rafa and Novac to come back tomorrow and play the final on Monday.

iwasthere1972
13-07-2018, 06:20 PM
21-21

Sir David Gray
13-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Absolutely crazy. Six hours on court and still no end in sight. Be better telling Rafa and Novac to come back tomorrow and play the final on Monday.

I'm pretty certain that's going to happen.

It's highly unlikely that their match is going to get finished tonight even if Anderson-Isner finishes just now. They'll also need to close the roof which takes about 40 minutes to get the air conditioning etc sorted. So it's probably going to be around 8:30 at the earliest before they get started.

I think they'll play them tomorrow before the ladies final and then play the men's final on Monday.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Anderson breaks to go 25-24 up and he'll serve for the match.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Anderson wins 7-6 6-7 6-7 6-4 26-24

cabbageandribs1875
13-07-2018, 06:53 PM
guid scottish surname in the final :cb anyways...who was that blonde in his trainers camp box thingy ? she is abserrrlutely gawjuz :greengrin

waiting on Nadal for a sweet double ££

Sir David Gray
13-07-2018, 07:00 PM
To put it into some context that was the 4th longest tennis match of all time.

iwasthere1972
13-07-2018, 07:07 PM
To put it into some context that was the 4th longest tennis match of all time.

Or four football matches. Plus the spectators can't be getting up every fifteen minutes or so for a pee or a pie. Maybe even both.

Here we go. Three hours for Rafa and Novac to play before the final whistle is blown at 11pm.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Some match so far between Nadal and Djokovic some of the shots have been unreal.

One set all just now and almost certain that they'll have to come back tomorrow as they only have an hour left to play tonight.

heretoday
13-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Great tennis today although the first semi final went on far too long. Maybe in the fifth set they could start a tie-break at 12 games each or something.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 06:04 AM
Great tennis today although the first semi final went on far too long. Maybe in the fifth set they could start a tie-break at 12 games each or something.

I can see an argument for and against it to be honest. From a spectator/fan point of view I quite like the drama and excitement that no tiebreak in the final set brings.

However I can understand why the players might want a change. Playing a match for that length of time would really harm your chances of progressing any further. Having a tiebreak situation prevents it going too far.

Having two big servers like Anderson and Isner playing against each other is always going to throw up the possibility of that happening.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Wimbledon showing their true colours again by potentially delaying the women's final so the men's semi final can be played to a conclusion at a nice time on Centre Court. Terrible decision IMO.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

IGRIGI
14-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Wimbledon showing their true colours again by potentially delaying the women's final so the men's semi final can be played to a conclusion at a nice time on Centre Court. Terrible decision IMO.

Nadal vs Novak is the far bigger match, correct call.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Nadal vs Novak is the far bigger match, correct call.I take it you don't have any daughters...

Speedy
14-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Regardless of what is the 'bigger match', it makes sense to play the semi first to give them as much rest as possible before Sunday's final.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Regardless of what is the 'bigger match', it makes sense to play the semi first to give them as much rest as possible before Sunday's final.They have another court...

Speedy
14-07-2018, 09:19 AM
They have another court...

Why make the fans choose which game to watch?

Start the mens at say 1, women's at 4. Fans get a full day of entertainment and everyone gets their games played at a reasonable time.

Honestly don't see the problem and would expect the same if it was the women's semi that needed finished today.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Why make the fans choose which game to watch?

Start the mens at say 1, women's at 4. Fans get a full day of entertainment and everyone gets their games played at a seasonable time.

Honestly don't see the problem and would expect the same if it was the women's semi that needed finished today.Fair enough, you can argue that this is the practical solution, but it's the women's final of Wimbledon. It's always at 2pm on the Saturday. It's arguably the biggest game in the women's tennis calendar. And it's been bumped by the men's SEMI final.

The two participants of the biggest game they can possibly be involved in don't even know when they're going to start.

What sort of message does that give young female tennis players/fans? "Yeah, you're important, just not quite as important as the men, ok?"

It's about more than 'the fans' or mere practicalities IMO.

Speedy
14-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Fair enough, you can argue that this is the practical solution, but it's the women's final of Wimbledon. It's always at 2pm on the Saturday. It's arguably the biggest game in the women's tennis calendar. And it's been bumped by the men's SEMI final.

The two participants of the biggest game they can possibly be involved in don't even know when they're going to start.

What sort of message does that give young female tennis players/fans? "Yeah, you're important, just not quite as important as the men, ok?"

It's about more than 'the fans' or mere practicalities IMO.

And if the women's final went to 64-62 in the final set and dragged on to the Sunday then the men's final would be 'bumped'.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 09:42 AM
And if the women's final went to 64-62 in the final set and dragged on to the Sunday then the men's final would be 'bumped'.That's pure hypothesis, and also not comparing apples with apples though, is it?

Firstly, I could equally as easily predict that in that scenario they would put the women on court 1 to finish their match on Sunday.

Secondly, that would be a final bumping a final. Not a semi.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 10:15 AM

What's their "true colours"?

If Nadal-Djokovic have a similar length of match to Anderson-Isner yesterday, they potentially have another 4 hours of tennis to play. You might say that's unlikely but it's possible and they need to get them off the court as early as possible to give the winner as much rest as possible ahead of the final tomorrow.

As for them playing on No 1 court, they can't do that. As I understand it, a decision has been taken to finish the match today with the roof closed, just like it was last night. Because Centre Court is currently the only court at Wimbledon which has a roof, that's the only court they can play on.

There's nothing sexist or underhand going on here. It's just common sense.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 10:22 AM
What's their "true colours"?

If Nadal-Djokovic have a similar length of match to Anderson-Isner yesterday, they potentially have another 4 hours of tennis to play. You might say that's unlikely but it's possible and they need to get them off the court as early as possible to give the winner as much rest as possible ahead of the final tomorrow.

As for them playing on No 1 court, they can't do that. As I understand it, a decision has been taken to finish the match today with the roof closed, just like it was last night. Because Centre Court is currently the only court at Wimbledon which has a roof, that's the only court they can play on.

There's nothing sexist or underhand going on here. It's just common sense.Interesting. Why do they need to close the roof today? It's blistering sunshine! If that's common sense, I'm a Hearts fan!

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Interesting. Why do they need to close the roof today? It's blistering sunshine! If that's common sense, I'm a Hearts fan!

To ensure that the playing conditions are the same throughout the entire match. Once a match starts with the roof closed, or it closes during the course of a match due to rain or bad light, they don't usually open it again until the end of the match.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 11:14 AM
To ensure that the playing conditions are the same throughout the entire match. Once a match starts with the roof closed, or it closes during the course of a match due to rain or bad light, they don't usually open it again until the end of the match....and yet they will close it during a match if it rains. Sounds like a daft rule to me. It's a different day FFS!!! They can't guarantee the conditions would be the same if the roof had stayed open.

Anyway, I sense a bit of diversion. Bottom line is someone had to be inconvenienced by the Anderson game, and surprise surprise, it's the women.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 12:00 PM
...and yet they will close it during a match if it rains. Sounds like a daft rule to me. It's a different day FFS!!! They can't guarantee the conditions would be the same if the roof had stayed open.

Anyway, I sense a bit of diversion. Bottom line is someone had to be inconvenienced by the Anderson game, and surprise surprise, it's the women.

How would you have done the scheduling any differently, with the way things panned out yesterday?

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 12:09 PM
How would you have done the scheduling any differently, with the way things panned out yesterday?I would have put the men's semi final on court 1, therefore allowing the showpiece of the women's game to carry on as scheduled.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 12:30 PM
I would have put the men's semi final on court 1, therefore allowing the showpiece of the women's game to carry on as scheduled.

I've already explained that wasn't an option though due to the Nadal-Djokovic match having to be played under the roof.

How would you have scheduled things under the rules of the roof policy?

Pretty Boy
14-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Does it really matter? The womens final will still be played at primetime on Saturday in front of exactly the same crowd for exactly the same prize money. So they have to start an hour or 90 minutes later due to unforseen circumstances. Big deal, they would have had to do that if it started to rain as they were warming up.

Anyway Nadal and Djokovic putting on a bit of a show here. Fans getting 1 and a half great matches for their money rather than just 1.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I've already explained that wasn't an option though due to the Nadal-Djokovic match having to be played under the roof.

How would you have scheduled things under the rules of the roof policy?Who made the daft roof policy? Who is responsible for the scheduling? The same people surely?

I repeat what I said before. I would have applied 'common sense' (as you put it) and changed the roof policy for one day.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Does it really matter? The womens final will still be played at primetime on Saturday in front of exactly the same crowd for exactly the same prize money. So they have to start an hour or 90 minutes later due to unforseen circumstances. Big deal, they would have had to do that if it started to rain as they were warming up.

Anyway Nadal and Djokovic putting on a bit of a show here. Fans getting 1 and a half great matches for their money rather than just 1.Clearly plenty people don't think it matters. I personally think it sends out a message that women are second class citizens at least in the tennis world.

Some people may call it 'common sense', I call it casual misogyny at best.

Enjoy the tennis everyone!

Speedy
14-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Clearly plenty people don't think it matters. I personally think it sends out a message that women are second class citizens at least in the tennis world.

Why? I've seen nobody else mention this other than you.

By the way (roof policy aside), if Djokovic v Nadal was played at the same time as the women's final you'd have people complaining that it undermines the women's final as many people would opt to watch that instead.

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Clearly plenty people don't think it matters. I personally think it sends out a message that women are second class citizens at least in the tennis world.

What do the (female) players think? That is more important, Shirley, than a bunch of guys debating it online?

If they are okay with it, so should we be.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 01:57 PM
What do the (female) players think? That is more important, Shirley, than a bunch of guys debating it online?

If they are okay with it, so should we be.What about my 9 year old daughter? Does she not get a say? There seem to be plenty women on twitter with the same opinion as me.

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 01:59 PM
What about my 9 year old daughter? Does she not get a say? There seem to be plenty women on twitter with the same opinion as me.

But what about the people most directly affected? The players.

I have no opinion on this, at least until I know how they feel.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Why? I've seen nobody else mention this other than you.

By the way (roof policy aside), if Djokovic v Nadal was played at the same time as the women's final you'd have people complaining that it undermines the women's final as many people would opt to watch that instead.If you want to take this thread as an indication of the general population, I make it about 80-20 in your favour. I would consider 20% to be a small but significant minority!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 02:03 PM
But what about the people most directly affected? The players.

I have no opinion on this, at least until I know how they feel.It's not just about the players, it's about more than that and I expect you are patently aware of that fact!

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 02:06 PM
It's not just about the players, it's about more than that and I expect you are patently aware of that fact!

I am, but I'd like to know how they feel before I come to my opinion. They are the most important people in this.

Again.... what are their thoughts?

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 02:14 PM
I am, but I'd like to know how they feel before I come to my opinion. They are the most important people in this.

Again.... what are their thoughts?Unfortunately I'm not in a position to ask them as I'm not allowed in the female locker room! I'm surprised you thought I might know.

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to ask them as I'm not allowed in the female locker room! I'm surprised you thought I might know.

If it were an issue to them, I would've thought there would have been something in the media to that effect. I get that they won't be shouting off to the press in advance of the match, but I'll be interested to see tomorrow whether there is anything.

If there isn't, I'll guess that it's no big deal to them.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Again.... what are their thoughts?

If Angelique Kerber and Serena Williams aren't bothered then I don't see why anyone else should be.

As someone else has already said, to anyone who has an interest in the women's game, this arrangement should be preferable to McS****y's suggestion of putting Nadal-Djokovic on No 1 court and playing at the same time as the ladies final.

At least this way they are not competing for viewing figures and they're getting their special day all to themselves.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 02:22 PM
If it were an issue to them, I would've thought there would have been something in the media to that effect. I get that they won't be shouting off to the press in advance of the match, but I'll be interested to see tomorrow whether there is anything.

If there isn't, I'll guess that it's no big deal to them.Tomorrow I would guess the winner will say nothing as they... well... won. And the loser will say nothing as it may look like sour grapes. So I guess we'll never know what their thoughts are. I hope they do talk about it tomorrow though. And I hope the journalists at least ask the question.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 02:25 PM
If Angelique Kerber and Serena Williams aren't bothered then I don't see why anyone else should be.

As someone else has already said, to anyone who has an interest in the women's game, this arrangement should be preferable to McS****y's suggestion of putting Nadal-Djokovic on No 1 court and playing at the same time as the ladies final.

At least this way they are not competing for viewing figures and they're getting their special day all to themselves.If we're talking about the players, I guess their 'special day' is more about the occasion and atmosphere on Centre Court than how many people are watching on TV.

But hey ho, you all have your opinions and I have mine. Meanwhile Djokovic and Nadal continue to fight it out while Williams and Kerber try to stay warmed up and focused....

Smartie
This is the first tennis I've seen in this year's Wimbledon.

I don't tend to watch it much when Andy Murray isn't playing, but this is one of the best matches I've ever seen.

Not sure what the ladies finalists will be thinking, but I'm sure the fans who are getting to witness this as well as the final that follows will be happy enough.

patch1875
Some match!

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Djokovic wins 10-8 in the final set.

Brilliant stuff.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Again.... what are their thoughts?Just had a quick Google whilst waiting for the game to start...

How does "6 time doubles grand slam winner Reannae Stubbs" grab you for a player's point of view?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2018-final-centre-court-serena-williams-angelique-kerber-rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-a8447161.html%3famp

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Just had a quick Google whilst waiting for the game to start...

How does "6 time doubles grand slam winner Reannae Stubbs" grab you for a player's point of view?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2018-final-centre-court-serena-williams-angelique-kerber-rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-a8447161.html%3famp

It's an opinion, but it doesn't answer my question. :cb

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:02 PM
It's an opinion, but it doesn't answer my question. :cbFair play. You want to keep it ultra specific so the question can't be answered. No bother!

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Fair play. You want to keep it ultra specific so the question can't be answered. No bother!

Of course it can be answered. It just needs someone to ask them. Them

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Of course it can be answered. It just needs someone to ask them. ThemSorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

I truly hope the question is asked. But even if someone does ask the question, can we be sure that the players would answer it fully and honestly?

In the meantime, can you explain to my 9 year old daughter why she's had to wait an extra 2 and a bit hours to see the premier women's tennis match in the world which is played at 2pm on Saturday every year except this one?

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

I truly hope the question is asked. But even if someone does ask the question, can we be sure that the players would answer it fully and honestly?

In the meantime, can you explain to my 9 year old daughter why she's had to wait an extra 2 and a bit hours to see the premier women's tennis match in the world which is played at 2pm on Saturday every year except this one?

Me? :confused:

Sir David Gray
14-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Fair play. You want to keep it ultra specific so the question can't be answered. No bother!

I'm sure if they were annoyed enough about it then they would make their feelings known.

In today's world of social media, they have plenty of opportunities to get their views out to the public domain.

Serena Williams in particular is never backward in coming forward so if it's as big a problem to her as it is to you then I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Me? :confused:Yes, you! Because she's quite pissed off about it and you seem to think that it's only the players that matter here!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:16 PM
I'm sure if they were annoyed enough about it then they would make their feelings known.

In today's world of social media, they have plenty of opportunities to get their views out to the public domain.

Serena Williams in particular is never backward in coming forward so if it's as big a problem to her as it is to you then I'm sure we'll know soon enough.Hope so! But as I keep trying to explain, it's not just about the players. Particularly, it's about the message this gives to young girls. "You'll need to wait, the men are still playing" etc etc.

Scouse Hibee
Sorry, I meant you were ensuring that I couldn't answer the question, not that the question physically couldn't be answered.

Surely you can explain it yourself to your nine year old daughter as you are fully aware of the reasons why she has had to wait. Whether you agree with it is immaterial.

Sir David Gray

Your 9 year old daughter surely can't be getting worked up about the women's final starting at 4pm instead of 2pm? :confused:

It's not as if it's starting at some ungodly hour that means she can't stay up and watch it.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Your 9 year old daughter surely can't be getting worked up about the women's final starting at 4pm instead of 2pm? :confused:

It's not as if it's starting at some ungodly hour that means she can't stay up and watch it.She's pissed off about the inequality, not her bed time!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Surely you can explain it yourself to your nine year old daughter as you are fully aware of the reasons why she has had to wait. Whether you agree with it is immaterial.Lol, nice one! I already have. I'm trying to make a point but you go ahead and take me literally, as if you didn't know better, you cheeky scamp!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Anyway folks, it's been a blast, and clearly I'm on my own here, so I'll retreat gracefully and watch the game with my family.

All the best!

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Anyway folks, it's been a blast, and clearly I'm on my own here, so I'll retreat gracefully and watch the game with my family.

All the best!

:thumbsup: Enjoy the game, I still think the women should be made to play 5 sets though :wink:

CropleyWasGod
14-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Yes, you! Because she's quite pissed off about it and you seem to think that it's only the players that matter here!

You've misquoted or misunderstood me.

Again. I have no opinion on the scheduling, and won't have until I hear what the most important and most affected people think.

I'm good with kids, though, if it takes the heat off you. :greengrin

Speedy
14-07-2018, 03:30 PM
She's pissed off about the inequality, not her bed time!

There is no inequality. The finals (mens/womens/singles/doubles) all depend on the preceding matches being played in line with the original schedule. That hasn't happened so there has been a delay.

What are you not getting about that?

Mon Dieu4
14-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Tell her the truth. All the money, sponsorship etc is in the men's game therefore it's going to be pushed and prioritised more, is it right, probably not but I can see why it happens, could also tell her that the bonus is that because of all this the ladies get the same prize money as the men for playing less time

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:50 PM
There is no inequality. The finals (mens/womens/singles/doubles) all depend on the preceding matches being played in line with the original schedule. That hasn't happened so there has been a delay.

What are you not getting about that?Ok. Good first set. So time for a couple of responses. What I don't get is that the organisers had a decision to make: inconvenience the men or inconvenience the women. And they chose to inconvenience the women's final before the men's semi.

That's all. I know you don't agree, and that's your prerogative. Thanks for the chat though!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:50 PM
You've misquoted or misunderstood me.

Again. I have no opinion on the scheduling, and won't have until I hear what the most important and most affected people think.

I'm good with kids, though, if it takes the heat off you. :greengrinSorry. Looks like I misunderstood you. My bad!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Tell her the truth. All the money, sponsorship etc is in the men's game therefore it's going to be pushed and prioritised more, is it right, probably not but I can see why it happens, could also tell her that the bonus is that because of all this the ladies get the same prize money as the men for playing less timeI see where you're going with this, so I'll not bite. Thanks for the opinion!

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 03:52 PM
[emoji106] Enjoy the game, I still think the women should be made to play 5 sets though :wink:Living up to your 'cheeky scamp' label I see!

Speedy
14-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Ok. Good first set. So time for a couple of responses. What I don't get is that the organisers had a decision to make: inconvenience the men or inconvenience the women. And they chose to inconvenience the women's final before the men's semi.

That's all. I know you don't agree, and that's your prerogative. Thanks for the chat though!

In what way are the women inconvenienced?

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 04:37 PM
In what way are the women inconvenienced?Och, come on! I'm done here, I have no time for daft laddie questions like that! Enjoy the rest of your day.

Speedy
14-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Och, come on! I'm done here, I have no time for daft laddie questions like that! Enjoy the rest of your day.

Fair enough.

4pm start or 2pm start. I'm genuinely not seeing the inconvenience.

McSwanky
14-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Fair enough.

4pm start or 2pm start. I'm genuinely not seeing the inconvenience.Sigh.

1pm definite start for the men's semi.

Maybe 2pm, maybe 2.30pm, maybe 3pm, maybe 3.30pm, maybe 4pm, maybe 4.30pm, maybe 5pm etc etc start for the women. And they'll not know till 20 minutes before.

Slightly different, no?

McD
15-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Surely the same could have happened in reverse, if one of the women’s semi finals had run as long as the Anderson/Isner semi final had, and one of the men’s semis could have been similarly delayed for a few hours?

also, whilst I take your point, is your daughter similarly pissed off that she doesn’t get the opportunity to watch as much women’s tennis at Wimbledon as men’s, since they only play to 3 sets? Since you’re banging the inequality drum.
Theres also the argument that the men are more often the ones delayed because of rain, where the men’s final is bumped to the Monday so the women’s final is played on the Sunday, therefore forcing boys to wait to watch their heroes, no?

i see your point, I just think you’re taking it a bit too far, for the sake of a couple of hours. It’s not sexist, it’s just logistics.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Surely the same could have happened in reverse, if one of the women’s semi finals had run as long as the Anderson/Isner semi final had, and one of the men’s semis could have been similarly delayed for a few hours?

also, whilst I take your point, is your daughter similarly pissed off that she doesn’t get the opportunity to watch as much women’s tennis at Wimbledon as men’s, since they only play to 3 sets? Since you’re banging the inequality drum.
Theres also the argument that the men are more often the ones delayed because of rain, where the men’s final is bumped to the Monday so the women’s final is played on the Sunday, therefore forcing boys to wait to watch their heroes, no?

i see your point, I just think you’re taking it a bit too far, for the sake of a couple of hours. It’s not sexist, it’s just logistics.

Correct.

If Wimbledon (and the other Grand Slams) are going to be accused of sexism then it's against the men, due to your point I've put in bold.

hibsbollah
15-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Oh dear. Not the best start for neutrals wanting a decent two hour match to take us up to the France Croatia game. This could be over quickly...

cabbageandribs1875
15-07-2018, 01:32 PM
ah well, it's all over bar the shouting :agree:

makaveli1875
15-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Oh dear. Not the best start for neutrals wanting a decent two hour match to take us up to the France Croatia game. This could be over quickly...

Think you could be right , Anderson looks like he's beaten already in his own head

cabbageandribs1875
15-07-2018, 01:40 PM
hit the red button to watch tseng v draper, at one set each at least it's a contest

hibsbollah
15-07-2018, 02:02 PM
William and Kate couldn't be sitting further away from each other, looking like someone's taken a ***** in Kate handbag. Cheer up ffs you've got the best view in the house.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2018, 02:19 PM
What a total anti climax this is proving to be.

Wimbledon men's final day is one of my favourites days of the year so this is a massive letdown.

Similar to last year's slaughtering that Roger Federer gave Marin Cilic.

cabbageandribs1875
15-07-2018, 02:35 PM
martina navratilova starting in the invitational pairs final...61 years of age..respect

G B Young
15-07-2018, 03:24 PM
What a total anti climax this is proving to be.

Wimbledon men's final day is one of my favourites days of the year so this is a massive letdown.

Similar to last year's slaughtering that Roger Federer gave Marin Cilic.

The final was always going to be a bit of a non event once Federer went out. The winner of the Nadal Djokovic semi was going to be a shoe-in for the title.

Can't effing stand Djokovic so not bothering to watch it but will tune in for the mixed doubles final later which hopefully Jamie Murray can win for a third time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Living up to your 'cheeky scamp' label I see!

I think SH is correct. Not posted by a cheeky scamp either.

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 11:11 AM
I think SH is correct. Not posted by a cheeky scamp either.

...aaand we're off again!

I take your point. And I wouldn't dare call you a cheeky scamp. (Not to your face anyway.)

Some interesting points have emerged since I last posted:

1. Both Serena and Kerber have cited the delay of their final as the 'only option' or the 'right thing to do' - Kerber even went so far as to say the men would need rest before 'the biggest final' - Way to go, Angelique, Girl Power! So CWG, you have your answer, and no doubt that's case closed for you. But do sporting superstars always say exactly what they mean to the press?

2. Kim Clijsters on Twitter stated that the men were given the choice as to whether they wanted to play before or after the Ladies' Final. I find that... interesting.

3. Last one for now, apparently the players were also consulted on whether to play with the roof closed or open on Saturday. Apparently Djokovic insisted that it should stay closed. Nadal was asked by a journo whether he agreed with the decision, to which he replied, "No, but I'm not going to talk about it because you will write about it." So SDG, apparently the roof issue is not as clear cut as you thought. Also lends a little more weight to my last sentence in point 1 above.

makaveli1875
16-07-2018, 11:37 AM
...aaand we're off again!

I take your point. And I wouldn't dare call you a cheeky scamp. (Not to your face anyway.)

Some interesting points have emerged since I last posted:

1. Both Serena and Kerber have cited the delay of their final as the 'only option' or the 'right thing to do' - Kerber even went so far as to say the men would need rest before 'the biggest final' - Way to go, Angelique, Girl Power! So CWG, you have your answer, and no doubt that's case closed for you. But do sporting superstars always say exactly what they mean to the press?

2. Kim Clijsters on Twitter stated that the men were given the choice as to whether they wanted to play before or after the Ladies' Final. I find that... interesting.

3. Last one for now, apparently the players were also consulted on whether to play with the roof closed or open on Saturday. Apparently Djokovic insisted that it should stay closed. Nadal was asked by a journo whether he agreed with the decision, to which he replied, "No, but I'm not going to talk about it because you will write about it." So SDG, apparently the roof issue is not as clear cut as you thought. Also lends a little more weight to my last sentence in point 1 above.

Has your daughters rage subsided now that her idols have said the delay was the right thing to do ?

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Has your daughters rage subsided now that her idols have said the delay was the right thing to do ?

Rage :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Good one, pal.

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Ok. Good first set. So time for a couple of responses. What I don't get is that the organisers had a decision to make: inconvenience the men or inconvenience the women. And they chose to inconvenience the women's final before the men's semi.

Maybe it was nothing to do with the gender and it was a case of getting one match finished before beginning another. And/or only one person from the 4 players was coming out to play the following day, regardless of whether it was man or woman.

I do think, though, that the men's semi finals should have started at 11am on Friday. Good chance that both matches were going to be long. Although I understand that scheduling would all be arranged before the draw was made and you can't just take into account how long matches are going to be based on who is in them. I'd also have had Rafa and Djokovic out earlier on the Saturday.

Also - time to do away with the ongoing matches in 5th sets. If a tie-breaker is fair in any set, it's fair in the deciding one.

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Maybe it was nothing to do with the gender and it was a case of getting one match finished before beginning another. And/or only one person from the 4 players was coming out to play the following day, regardless of whether it was man or woman.

Maybe. I guess we'll never know.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that the men shouldn't have started earlier on the Saturday. I was suggesting that they could have moved them to Court no. 1. Which was widely poo poo-ed by some on here for two reasons:

1. It would have taken away from the occasion on Centre Court as they might have been playing at the same time (I dispute this, as Centre Court would still be full, Princess Kate or whoever would still have been there, therefore the occasion is not lessened).
2. It wasn't physically possible, as the rules dictate that the match had to finish under the roof. Which wasn't actually the case.

But hey, the players said it was ok, so who am I to have an opinion? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Now that they have expressed their opinion which happens to differ from yours you are now wondering if they were being honest, what chance does anyone have against that? I doubt you would've questioned it if they happened to share your point of view. Anyway, its not worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

Greentinted
16-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Is it just me or, the odd match notwithstanding (Nadal v Del Potro) was this year’s Wimbledon quite flat (Men’s and Women's)?
While not being an authority or über fan I enjoy watching tennis, particularly the majors, but this year’s tournament really didn’t grip me at all. Maybe am just getting auld and dull(er).
Och well, roll on The US Open...

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Maybe. I guess we'll never know.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that the men shouldn't have started earlier on the Saturday. I was suggesting that they could have moved them to Court no. 1. Which was widely poo poo-ed by some on here for two reasons:

1. It would have taken away from the occasion on Centre Court as they might have been playing at the same time (I dispute this, as Centre Court would still be full, Princess Kate or whoever would still have been there, therefore the occasion is not lessened).
2. It wasn't physically possible, as the rules dictate that the match had to finish under the roof. Which wasn't actually the case.

But hey, the players said it was ok, so who am I to have an opinion? :wink:

I'm not sure how that would work in terms of ticketing and audiences. Most people have purchased tickets for the Saturday on the understanding they are going to watch the Women's final. Having Nadal V Djokovic to finish beforehand was a bonus for them.

I do think the match should finish on the court it started on though, roof or nae roof.

If I was involved I would have flirted with pitching the idea of letting things run to Monday. Mental eh... but, you would still fill the 15,000 no problem and could organise the scheduling to conveniently eradicate the world cup final clash :thumbsup:.. and probably milk some more money out of the occasion while you're at it.

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Is it just me or, the odd match notwithstanding (Nadal v Del Potro) was this year’s Wimbledon quite flat (Men’s and Women's)?
While not being an authority or über fan I enjoy watching tennis, particularly the majors, but this year’s tournament really didn’t grip me at all. Maybe am just getting auld and dull(er).

I probably didn't get to see as much as I would normally (similar to the world cup) largely down to a busy last month or so. (I probably watched as much at work as I did in my spare time!!).

However I enjoyed what I did see as much as any other tournament. The Nadal v Djokovic semi was brilliant, and was really pleased for Kerber (albeit it wasn't the most competitive of finals for either the men or women).

Perhaps you're an Andy Murray fan and that took the shine off it compared to the last few years?

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Now that they have expressed their opinion which happens to differ from yours you are now wondering if they were being honest, what chance does anyone have against that? I doubt you would've questioned it if they happened to share your point of view. Anyway, its not worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

If you read up a few posts, I had suggested before they played that they may not 'bare all' for various reasons - surely you can see why that might be the case. Kerber's response was particularly disappointing for me, referring to the men's final as the 'biggest final' does not set her up as an ideal role model for young girls/women!

You're right though, when we're all building straw men (either around players being economical with the truth, or citing non-existent rules) then there can never be any certainty. We are, however, all allowed opinions. But seeing as mine is being dismissed as "getting my knickers in a twist", I'll retire back under rock I crawled out from :wink:

Have a nice day!

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:51 PM
If you read up a few posts, I had suggested before they played that they may not 'bare all' for various reasons - surely you can see why that might be the case. Kerber's response was particularly disappointing for me, referring to the men's final as the 'biggest final' does not set her up as an ideal role model for young girls/women!

You're right though, when we're all building straw men (either around players being economical with the truth, or citing non-existent rules) then there can never be any certainty. We are, however, all allowed opinions. But seeing as mine is being dismissed as "getting my knickers in a twist", I'll retire back under rock I crawled out from :wink:

Have a nice day!

I'm not saying it was.. I didn't see her making comment, but is there a chance she may have been referring to them playing in the longer final (i.e. 5 sets)? Although her English is very good, she is German, and sometimes words are misplaced/not necessarily the ones we would use.

If it wasn't and sees the men's final as the biggest one... she shares the opinion of many, and it's not disappointing if she is being honest.

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure how that would work in terms of ticketing and audiences. Most people have purchased tickets for the Saturday on the understanding they are going to watch the Women's final. Having Nadal V Djokovic to finish beforehand was a bonus for them.

I do think the match should finish on the court it started on though, roof or nae roof.

If I was involved I would have flirted with pitching the idea of letting things run to Monday. Mental eh... but, you would still fill the 15,000 no problem and could organise the scheduling to conveniently eradicate the world cup final clash :thumbsup:.. and probably milk some more money out of the occasion while you're at it.

I don't see why a different court would have mattered. It was a different day anyway, and I think there is a precedent for moving matches in the past, although I may be making that up.

Last word from me on this, promise....

On Friday when it became apparent that Nadal and Djokovic were going to run into Saturday, I was coming back home from being out with my Mum (I know, I know) and I turned to her and said "what are they going to do about tomorrow?" I genuinely felt it left the organisers with a huge headache, but not once did it occur to me that they might disrupt the women's final. I thought that a 2pm start was a given there, and they would have to get creative to reschedule the men's match. When I realised what they'd done I was honestly shocked, as that eventuality hadn't crossed my mind. So I'm not just constructing something to be outraged by, I'm just very very surprised that this was the decision they came to.

...And I'm done. (Until I feel the need to reply again!)

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 12:54 PM
is there a chance she may have been referring to them playing in the longer final (i.e. 5 sets)?

Well there you go, another thing that hadn't occurred to me. I suppose it could have been that, yes.

If it wasn't and sees the men's final as the biggest one... she shares the opinion of many, and it's not disappointing if she is being honest.

I still find it disappointing.

G B Young
16-07-2018, 12:56 PM

It was always going to be a bit flat for British fans without Andy Murray. I'm normally an avid watcher but without Andy I lost interest this year. Williams and Djokovic getting to their respective finals probably didn't help either given that neither have ever been popular.

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:56 PM
I don't see why a different court would have mattered. It was a different day anyway, and I think there is a precedent for moving matches in the past, although I may be making that up.

Last word from me on this, promise....

On Friday when it became apparent that Nadal and Djokovic were going to run into Saturday, I was coming back home from being out with my Mum (I know, I know) and I turned to her and said "what are they going to do about tomorrow?" I genuinely felt it left the organisers with a huge headache, but not once did it occur to me that they might disrupt the women's final. I thought that a 2pm start was a given there, and they would have to get creative to reschedule the men's match. When I realised what they'd done I was honestly shocked, as that eventuality hadn't crossed my mind. So I'm not just constructing something to be outraged by, I'm just very very surprised that this was the decision they came to.

...And I'm done. (Until I feel the need to reply again!)

I actually agree that efforts should have been made to keep the women's final as it was, by the way :aok: I guess 2pm was an awkward time given how long the men's semi could theoretically have gone on afterwards (as evidenced in the other semi) with the final to follow the very next day (at a traditional 2pm!)

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:58 PM
It was always going to be a bit flat for British fans without Andy Murray. I'm normally an avid watcher but without Andy I lost interest this year. Williams and Djokovic getting to their respective finals probably didn't help either given that neither have ever been popular.

I was quite surprised by what seemed to be a large Serena support this year. Presumably in no small part to her comeback story and 'doing it for mothers' connotations?

McSwanky
16-07-2018, 01:02 PM
I actually agree that efforts should have been made to keep the women's final as it was, by the way :aok: I guess 2pm was an awkward time given how long the men's semi could theoretically have gone on afterwards (as evidenced in the other semi) with the final to follow the very next day (at a traditional 2pm!)

:aok:

G B Young
16-07-2018, 01:26 PM
I was quite surprised by what seemed to be a large Serena support this year. Presumably in no small part to her comeback story and 'doing it for mothers' connotations?

I'm surprised too if that was the case, although I didn't actually see any of the women's singles. It's usually polite applause rather than genuine support for her, partly I think because on her day she simply blows her opponents off the court through sheer power which doesn't make for much of a spectacle. I was glad to see Kerber beat her from that point of view. As for the 'doing it for the mothers' angle, I thought that got a bit overblown. Fine achievement to get yourself fit and able to compete at the top level again so soon, but it's not as if she's the first female sportswoman to return to action after having kids. In tennis alone I remember Clijsters came back to win more slams with children than without.

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm surprised too if that was the case, although I didn't actually see any of the women's singles. It's usually polite applause rather than genuine support for her, partly I think because on her day she simply blows her opponents off the court through sheer power which doesn't make for much of a spectacle. I was glad to see Kerber beat her from that point of view. As for the 'doing it for the mothers' angle, I thought that got a bit overblown. Fine achievement to get yourself fit and able to compete at the top level again so soon, but it's not as if she's the first female sportswoman to return to action after having kids. In tennis alone I remember Clijsters came back to win more slams with children than without.

I don't disagree.

Not a huge fan of Williams but don't hate her either. There was a time I really couldn't stick her - after her behaviour against Sam Stosur, possibly in US open final (that could be wrong though).

Greentinted
16-07-2018, 02:40 PM
I probably didn't get to see as much as I would normally (similar to the world cup) largely down to a busy last month or so. (I probably watched as much at work as I did in my spare time!!).

However I enjoyed what I did see as much as any other tournament. The Nadal v Djokovic semi was brilliant, and was really pleased for Kerber (albeit it wasn't the most competitive of finals for either the men or women).

Perhaps you're an Andy Murray fan and that took the shine off it compared to the last few years?

Don't get me wrong, I like AM a lot and of course, favour him but I've followed tennis since I was a lad - first Wimbledon memory is Virginia Wade in 77 - and just toiled to fully engage this time round. Found myself getting annoyed with the BBC coverage (Inverdale and Castle doing my nut in more than usual) and other such pedantic nonsense which clearly reflected my wee disconnect.
As I say, looking forward to the US Open and aye, can't disagree with your comments re Kerber. Ostapenko was another wee ray of light through the (IMO) mediocrity.:aok:

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like AM a lot and of course, favour him but I've followed tennis since I was a lad - first Wimbledon memory is Virginia Wade in 77 - and just toiled to fully engage this time round. Found myself getting annoyed with the BBC coverage (Inverdale and Castle doing my nut in more than usual) and other such pedantic nonsense which clearly reflected my wee disconnect.
As I say, looking forward to the US Open and aye, can't disagree with your comments re Kerber. Ostapenko was another wee ray of light through the (IMO) mediocrity.:aok:

Ahhh... I can fully understand and empathise with your issue now :wink: (Did you notice how many times the word "duchess" or "duchesses" was used in commentary during play this weekend??!! :greengrin)

Yep - roll on the US.

Agree - a lot to like in the women's game just now, and plenty of players I can take to.

McD
16-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Have a nice day!

Its not a non-existent rule. If a match begins under the roof, it’s to continue under the roof in order to maintain as consistent a set of conditions as possible. The opposite isn’t true (match begins without roof), because a change (roof being closed) only happens to keep play going rather than a having a rain break.

Because this match had to stop on Friday evening (outwith the control of Wimbledon), the players are given the option of opening the roof for the conclusion of the match. This requires the agreement of both players, so they both must agree to changing the conditions. Djokovic refused to have the roof opened, which meant the match had to be played on centre court, as the only court with a roof.

As I said earlier on the thread, I understand your point, I think Wimbledon were put in a pretty impossible position by the existing rules, and the point in the tournament that it happened. If this had happened a week earlier, a few other matches, possibly men’s or women’s, would have been shuffled around to accommodate a match needing to continue on cerntre court. In fact, I’m not convinced they would have even started that later match (the 2nd semi) at all, if it had been earlier in the tournament, but for the hope that one of Djokovic or Nadal would take a very quick victory and negate any need to disrupt the following days proceedings at all.

i do think calling out sexism is a bit far though, had the normal run of things been the opposite way around (men’s final Saturday, women’s Sunday),I think they would have done exactly the same, had the women’s semi complete on centre court with the roof closed before the men’s final. For the whole tournament (and I expect for most others), players have to wait until earlier matches complete on their court before they can play their match, such as Nadal and Djokovic had to on Friday.

beensaidbefore
16-07-2018, 09:50 PM
If you want to take this thread as an indication of the general population, I make it about 80-20 in your favour. I would consider 20% to be a small but significant minority!

What is your opinion on the fact that the male players will potentially have to play 40% more tennis to get the same prize money as the women? Is that fair?

heretoday
17-07-2018, 07:17 AM

It was indeed a bit empty without Andy. He's not got the best voice for commentating either! I just hope that he can get back to his best but I'm not optimistic.

McSwanky
17-07-2018, 07:55 AM
What is your opinion on the fact that the male players will potentially have to play 40% more tennis to get the same prize money as the women? Is that fair?

No, it's not. It's not fair on the men or the women.

Again, you can take it from the practical "men play 40% more tennis" point of view = unfair on the men. I'd find that hard to disagree with.

But you can also take it from a "big message" point of view, which suggests that women aren't as strong as men, or certainly don't have enough stamina to last as long, therefore devaluing them further. In fact, women (many of them high profile, including Serena) have repeatedly offered to go up to 5 sets in Grand Slams, but have been denied by the tournament organisers.

The fact of the matter is that the 5 set thing was devised a long long time ago, and has, in my opinion, outlived its usefulness. In the modern era, there have been more and more marathon matches, so it's no wonder the likes of Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro and even Federer have been out for extended periods. The stress on their bodies to play for 4-5 hours at a time at that level must be ridiculous. My preference would be to see men's matches reduced to 3 sets in all competitions. They could even keep their 'no tie break in the last set' rule without causing too much hassle, as even the longest matches would still run a good 90 minutes - 2 hours shorter.

McSwanky
17-07-2018, 07:59 AM
i do think calling out sexism is a bit far though, had the normal run of things been the opposite way around (men’s final Saturday, women’s Sunday),I think they would have done exactly the same, had the women’s semi complete on centre court with the roof closed before the men’s final. For the whole tournament (and I expect for most others), players have to wait until earlier matches complete on their court before they can play their match, such as Nadal and Djokovic had to on Friday.

I take your point, and maybe calling out sexism was over the top. I'll have to disagree on whether they would have disrupted the men's final, but I guess we'll never know. So I can stay "outraged from Musselburgh" :greengrin and you can continue with your damned reasonable posts!

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Don't let your daughter see Andrew Castle's column in today's Metro, she'll be raging! ;-)

McSwanky
17-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Don't let your daughter see Andrew Castle's column in today's Metro, she'll be raging! ;-)

It's alright, she's not allowed to read any newspapers smaller than 29" x 23".

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Aye, I always thought broad sheets were papers for females.

McSwanky
17-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Aye, I always thought broad sheets were papers for females.

...and not even a hint of a sarcastic smiley! :greengrin

What was the odious Mr Castle saying anyway? I always considered him slightly above Inverdale in the 'orrible stakes, but maybe I should revise my opinion!

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Aye, I did miss out a smiley of some sort. It'll be on the website if you can be arsed checking.

WeeRussell
17-07-2018, 04:12 PM
If it's this one (https://www.metro.news/novaks-back-and-can-catch-rafa-and-roger/1147405/), I don't think it really says anything that a poster on her hasn't offered as an argument already, which I think is probably Hutchy's point :greengrin

McD
17-07-2018, 05:52 PM
I take your point, and maybe calling out sexism was over the top. I'll have to disagree on whether they would have disrupted the men's final, but I guess we'll never know. So I can stay "outraged from Musselburgh" :greengrin and you can continue with your damned reasonable posts!

:thumbsup: I do think you’ve argued your point very well, and calmly, even if we don’t quite agree mate ��